TDM Which Deck

AeonHorus

Hey guys 

I'm looking into a nice authentic TDM deck to use and to gain an understanding into this school of thinking. I have narrowed it down to three decks, two of which are held in high regards one of which I am having trouble to identify but it looks really nice, limited edition, but is it authentic to the time. 

@katrinka I would love your input on this. 

Here are the decks

First 2 images is the deck I can't find info on

01 TDM.JPG

But I really love the look of it!

02 TDM.JPG

This is Jodorowsky's Deck 

I have his book 

03 TDM.JPG

This is Yoav Ben-Dov's deck 

04 TDM.JPG

So which of these decks would you choose and may I ask your reasoning as to the why ?

Thanks in advance 

Aeon

Edited by AeonHorus

Those are all nice decks and any of them could become a good reading deck. The Jodorowsky/Camoin has a few embellishments which aren’t present in the older TdM - this might sway you if you prefer authentic.

In the beginning, I would pick a deck which is readily available and not too expensive such as the CBD. If you find that you really love working with this style of deck, you’ll find you want to get a few others anyway. :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, gregory said:

Like Flaxen, I would pass on the Jodorowsky.. I could point you to the BEST site for restoration decks, but that would add to your pain.

I thought about linking too but decided it might be best to avoid increasing temptation for @AeonHorus. Don't worry though, we'll be happy to share all manner of links once you are hooked. :biggrin:

Of those three, I would also recommend the Conver Ben Dov, although the Lo Scarabeo deck is also based off of the Conver TdM. So I guess it comes down to cost and whether you want a restoration deck like the CBD, or one that looks a little older. If you're in the US, all three of these decks are currently less than $30 on eBay, and on Amazon the CBD is by far the most affordable. The CBD is the one I take pretty much everywhere, since I'm reasonably confident that I can readily replace it should I need to. Mine is a US Games printing, and I can't say the cardstock has held up well to heavy shuffling; in fact, I switched from riffle shuffling to overhand for that reason (I know, I know! Riffle shuffling is hard on the cards, but it sounds so cool...). 

"Authentic" can be a bit tricky to define. The way most cards from 1760 look today is not how they likely looked when new, but then most restoration decks have to make some educated guesses as to how the cards looked originally. There's a whole slew of deck options available now, and once you get sucked in, that link to which gregory and Flaxen refer will happily help you spend your money 🙂 Whatever you choose, enjoy the journey!

I have the Dusserre printing of the Paul Marteau deck. The colors are a little different to other decks, which may be a consideration, and it's not 100% "authentic", but I quite like the cards. It's a joy for me to read with that deck. Here's a link with pictures of the cards:

http://eno-tarot.blogspot.com/2013/05/tarot-de-marseille-dusserre.html

Edit: I got it on Amazon.com about a year ago for $15 plus shipping, but it's out of stock now. That said, you may look on other countries' Amazons or elsewhere if you like it. Mine was shipped overseas for about $10, so I don't think it's be much higher in cost to do it that way if you find it.

Edited by Czenzi

3 hours ago, Flaxen said:

Those are all nice decks and any of them could become a good reading deck. The Jodorowsky/Camoin has a few embellishments which aren’t present in the older TdM - this might sway you if you prefer authentic.

In the beginning, I would pick a deck which is readily available and not too expensive such as the CBD. If you find that you really love working with this style of deck, you’ll find you want to get a few others anyway. :classic_smile:

Point me. I'm broke but love window shopping. 🙂

Oh nice one guys ...

3 hours ago, gregory said:

The one you can't find is from Lo Scarabeo's Anima Antiqua series.

Thank you very much @gregory this is indeed the deck. And it's a better price here. Mare than likely printed here in China. Does have a distinct advantage living here lol.

1 hour ago, Flaxen said:

I thought about linking too but decided it might be best to avoid increasing temptation

Another advantage is if it ain't made in China then it becomes not impossible but a right royal pain in the arse to get lol. So that alleviates about 75% of the temptation lol

1 hour ago, HermitWriter said:

"Authentic" can be a bit tricky to define.

I mean so long as it looks as it is meant to, same colours, artwork etc...

The price difference between the CBD and the Anima Antiqua is just ¥50 (about$3) so I think it's basically down to them two, edging onto the Anima Antiqua purely for the aesthetics.  

There is a really lovely Japanese deck which is based on the Pierre Madenie TdM. It's pocket size but gorgeously readable - it's one of my absolute favourites. I got it via a group order back on Aeclectic Tarot and then a back-up from Amazon UK but based on your last post, you might be able to get hold of it much more easily. 

It's referenced here and is called the Mamanmiyuki:

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=200098&page=2

9 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

There is a really lovely Japanese deck which is based on the Pierre Madenie TdM. It's pocket size but gorgeously readable - it's one of my absolute favourites. I got it via a group order back on Aeclectic Tarot and then a back-up from Amazon UK but based on your last post, you might be able to get hold of it much more easily. 

LA LA LAAA LA LA LA LA LAAAA (fingers in my ears) LA LA LAA LAA LAL LA LAAAAA (not listening, nope not listening) 🙉

Hahaha thank you 

23 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

Bugger! 

I looked 😂

It's too small for what I want (phew) 

4 hours ago, Flaxen said:

A "pocket size" TdM? Uh oh...I had to look... 💸

9 hours ago, AeonHorus said:

I'm looking into a nice authentic TDM deck to use and to gain an understanding into this school of thinking. I have narrowed it down to three decks, two of which are held in high regards one of which I am having trouble to identify but it looks really nice, limited edition, but is it authentic to the time. 

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the LS deck. I had another of their Conver "reproductions", and the images were stretched. And there was a pip card they didn't have, so they copied the flowers from another pip. This new edition might be better, I don't know. 

The Jodo-Camoin does have embellishments, as Flaxen mentioned. They can make for inspired readings if you're not already using a number and suit method that's incompatible with Jodo's. Some people hate them, though. My theory is that it isn't the embellishments themselves, but the lie: "We have restored the Tarot de Marseilles such as it originally was!" Yeah, right...is that why the angel at the bottom left of the 2C is wearing sunglasses?

Capture.JPG.d425ece187a7bfd44217fe4eaf75d384.JPG

The CBD is a nice deck, a lot of people love that one. But I wouldn't call it authentic, either. The peoples' facial expressions have been altered, everybody has a soft little smile instead of the normal TdM deadpan. 

So out of the three you mentioned, the LS deck is the most authentic. 

You want to go with a straight reproduction if you want authenticity. Another deck worth mentioning is the Heron. The coloring is different (TdM has a lot of variation in this regard, the cardmakers used whatever was handy at the time) but it appears to be a legit reproduction. It also comes with a useless but hilarious LWB. https://tarot-heritage.com/2014/03/12/the-wacky-world-of-the-heron-lwb/

(The blogger has left out my favorite: "You will die of excesses incurred at an orgy." And, if memory serves, there is one about being killed by a falling brick.)

2 hours ago, gregory said:

WELL - since you say it won't tempt you seeing that it's in France:

https://www.tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/index.html

:evil: 

Those are as authentic as it gets.

There's also a gallery page at that link. Not all of these are available, but it's interesting to look at https://www.tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/historic_tarots_gallery.html

Yes, those Berti decks are VERY nice.
And authentic to the point of having uncoated stock. Not easily shuffled, they're more "special occasion" decks.
Same with Il Meneghello.

Thank you all for your input. It made my life that little bit easier for a say hehehe.

Thank you 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:02 AM, gregory said:

WELL - since you say it won't tempt you seeing that it's in France:

https://www.tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/index.html

:evil: 

Thanks @gregory for this link full of really nice looking decks. Unfortunately / fortunately (whichever way I look at it) they are in France and I think the logistics for getting them into China, right now especially with  this virus crap flying about would be phenomenal. Something to think of in the future though and the link now sits happily in my favourites 😉 

So I decided to go for the Lo Scarabeo's Anima Antiqua series.

https://shop.loscarabeo.com/index.php?id_product=970&controller=product&id_lang=1

thank you again to @gregory for identifying it for me. 

It should be here within 5 days so happy days 

Thank you all once again!

Aeon

On 2/15/2020 at 2:19 AM, katrinka said:

(The blogger has left out my favorite: "You will die of excesses incurred at an orgy." And, if memory serves, there is one about being killed by a falling brick.)

Surely you are not implying that those two causes of death are wildly implausible?

We must move in different circles.

41 minutes ago, _R_ said:

Surely you are not implying that those two causes of death are wildly implausible?

We must move in different circles.

I've known a few 😉 and a few more 😂

So the delivery guys came this afternoon with two packages for me, wooooho!

I knew what was coming !!!

First to arrive was the Tarot de Marseille 1760 deck and it looks absolutely lurvely!

01 - Marseille 1760 box.jpg

02 - Marseille 1760 unboxed.jpg

03 - Marseille 1760 Cards.jpg

04 - Marseille 1760 All Cards.jpg

Second one to arrive I have owned before but I gave it away some time ago, I couldn't resist it as the price was extremely favourable at hmmmm well let's just say it was under five quid 😉 

Be rude to say no really 😄 

01 - Spanish Tarot box.jpg

02 - Spanish Tarot open box.jpg

03 - Spanish Tarot cards.jpg

Haha I just noticed my son's little fingers creeping in there top left 😂

Edited by AeonHorus

Reviving to say that my favourite TdM is the Hadar.  I know it's not the most "authentic", but to me it has the warmest feel.

Noblet is a saucy little deck.

I had the original mass-market version of the Anima Antiqua Lo Scarabeo one, and it's also lovely.  

The Heron version is even nicer.  

And the Grimaud version is better - a cleaned up version without the reproduced ageing and fading.  Better yet if you can find the French-only titled version.

Late but I have to get in my 2 cents. They all have pictures of all the majors and pips for the minors. Antiques are good. Modern re-drawing of the antiques are good (if you like them.) Ultimately you are the one who works with them. So. Pick the one that you like best. They all will read the same, mostly. The best is always a subjective decision.

Personally I like the oldest ones because i really like the expressions on the characters' faces. Somehow they can't be reproduced in the modern re-drawing. But, like i said, it's purely subjective. Enjoy the ones you have and beware: you'll want more.

Edited by tag Jorrit