Marseille Books For Beginners

EmpyreanKnight

EmpyreanKnight

I just want to anyone who has a passion for the Marseille.

I haven't explored the system at all, but I shall do so in the future. I've read that the best books for beginners would be The Way of Tarot by Alejandro Jodorowsky, Tarot - The Open Reading by Yoav Ben-Dov, and Marseille Tarot: Towards The Art of Reading by Camelia Elias.

So yeah, if I were just a novice and I wish to start a deep study of the Marseille, do you think these three books would be enough? Or would their teachings be so divergent that I'd only end up getting gob-smacked? Which of the three would you most recommend, or again would you urge us to get all three? Are there other authors you'd advise beginners to explore?

Thanks!

I have the Jodorowsky's book, and it's extremely very well thought-out. I'd recommend it, with a few caveats.

It's psychological. I don't read that way, and I normally normally pass on books about psychological Tarot reading as they're irrelevant to the way I read, but this one is Jodorowsky - it has that trippy El Topo weirdness. And I did manage to get some things out of it that I can use, like figure's feet pointing in two different directions being a sign that they're indecisive, little visual cues on the cards and the lore that's grown around them.

Ben Dov's book is excellent, and there is a lot of information in it. It's the best reading manual currently available for TdM in english.

I passed on Elias, TBH. I'm a big stickler for being as objective as humanly possible when reading cards. It's easy to miss something important if you're stuck on making the cards say what you want, and I've seen her do that time and again on her blog. It's just not my thing at all.

There is another, and I'm not sure when - or if - it will be released. Andy Boroveshengra has written one called Fortunae's Picturebook. He had a condensed version on his blog a year or so back, but he took it down. It's good old predictive, cartomantic reading, and the pip meanings and method can be used for playing cards as well. The Tarot is a playing card deck, after all. Andy's is having some health issues now, so I'm in "wait and see" mode. 

Andy, Ben Dov, and Jodorowsky all read using number and suit, and as mentioned, playing cards are generally read the same way. So playing card literature is useful - this blog has been immensely helpful: https://cardseer.wordpress.com/author/kapherus/

EmpyreanKnight

Thanks katrinka! I like how you're so straightforward, there's no second-guessing when you answer a question. :)

EmpyreanKnight

Here is a video from Sacred Seed about the Marseille

Whew those are a lot of books! Thanks for the link, Ix Chel.

I second the recommendation for Ben Dov's book - it is a great way to get up and running with the TdM.

If you can, it's also worth searching the Aeclectic Tarot site for the Mel's Pips method. It is a great way of reading if you like a system and I found it very coherent and internally consistent. It is how I started with TdM and it really opened me up to all sorts of interesting philosophies - medieval humours being one.

If you can find a copy (gold dust is easier to source) Lee Bursten's little book that was issued in a kit from Lo Scarabeo is perfect for beginners. It is still available in Italian.

Mel's Pips are here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=112327

I have Jodorowsky and Ben Dov - I much prefer Ben Dov - I am with Katrikna on Jodorowsky and on Elias too. I also have jmd's Reading the Marseille Tarot which is awesome - but not cheap as a hard copy.

EmpyreanKnight

Thanks for the suggestions, Flaxen and gregory. I shall definitely get Jodorowsky's and Ben-Dov's books, and I've already bookmarked Melancholic's thread. I hope it'd be great for the Uusi Eros since it doesn't have a decent book (pun intended).

Annabelle

If you can find a copy (gold dust is easier to source) Lee Bursten's little book that was issued in a kit from Lo Scarabeo is perfect for beginners. It is still available in Italian.

I concur -- Lee Bursten's book is a very user-friendly resource for someone brand new to reading the TdM.

As for my second choice for a TdM beginner, that's a tough decision. My personal favorite is Camelia Elias's Marseille Tarot: Towards The Art of Reading. In my opinion, her method for reading the TdM is the most objective, ethical, and clear that I've ever seen. (Confession -- I like her method so well that I have taken one of her online courses on reading the TdM, and am currently taking her advanced TdM class).

On the other hand, not everyone likes her writing style or her reading style.

For a total beginner, Yoav Ben-Dov may be a little easier to understand.

Jodorowsky is a hard no-thanks for me. I've read part of his book, but I found myself uninterested in finishing it. I wouldn't recommend it, especially not for a TdM beginner.

I'm just now looking at this thread. I have started to really fall hard for the TdM but would like to read some more books on how to read. I have Bursten's and Yoav Ben-Dov's books. Of the two, I prefer Bursten's. I hadn't heard of Camelia Elias's books, so thanks for the suggestion, Annabelle. I will definitely check out Toward the Art of Reading. :)

Bookworm, how exciting for you! I love reading with the TdM style decks - there is something really satisfying about it. Looking forward to following your journey. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Dov's book is excellent, and there is a lot of information in it. It's the best reading manual currently available for TdM in english.

THIS. Plus it is an incredibly approachable book, deceptive in its apparent simplicity. IMHO, it is the best one for a beginner, besides being one of the best TdM books, period. Plus, as an added bonus, it acts as a guide for Jodorowsky's book, since Ben-Dov studied with him and sort of distilled the best in Jodorowsky's approach.

There is Paul Marteau's classic Le Tarot de Marseille, but it's very hard to find in English. I have not read Lee Burnsten's, but his AT posts were always illuminating.

I have not read Enrique Enríquez's books, but there is a documentary about him and his method called Tarology that is a lot of fun and very instructive --and includes interviews to a lot of Tarot luminaries like Rachel Pollack, Robert Place et al. It can be watched for free here: https://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/tarology.

https://www.llewellyn.com/product.php?ean=9780738761145

for your consideration in January

Anna Maria Morsucci is a tarot expert based in Italy.

Tarot expert Anna Maria Morsucci provides fascinating insights and helpful tips for reading the Marseille Tarot. This is a perfect companion book for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of this powerful but mysterious deck. With a down-to-earth style and a profound perspective on the historical aspects of the deck, this book will take your reading to a whole new level.

be 192 pages

after entering marsielles tarot this 112 page book shows up on amazon

The Power of the Pips: Courting Numbers in Cartomancy

The Power of the Pips: Courting Numbers in Cartomancy introduces the reader to the following method of reading the pip cards of the Marseille Tarot cards:

Think about the essential properties that form the four suits in a pack of cards.

Don't think 'meaning'.

As symbolic meaning is presented as situational, all the examples discussed highlight the importance of reading the cards in context, rather than seeing them as carriers of inherent signification.

The style follows the same tone as in the companion book: The Power of the Trumps: A Subtle Burst, whose premise is to deconstruct set cartomantic clichés.

CONTENTS

SMALL SEDUCTIONS / 9

A SHORT THEORY OF THE PIP CARDS / 15

A SHORT THEORY OF THE COURT CARDS / 27

WISHING WELL / 53

HUMOR ME / 59

BELIEVABLE STORIES / 65

WAIT FOR IT / 79

THE DECISIVE FACTOR / 89

BURNING BRIDGES / 101

FREE WILL / 105

One of my most reached for TdM books is Way of the Current ~ Tarot Reflections by Stewart S. Warren. Of his own book he says, “This little book of images and commentary is not an introduction to Tarot, nor is it an in-depth exploration. Way of the Current, however, is an invitation. Those who know all about western esotericism and the Tarot tradition will find it incomplete and even contradictory, however...those who have a beginners’ mind will find fresh perspectives and inspiration for further reflection.”

He covers each card using b&w images from the Flornoy Dodal and gives about a page per card, two to three short paragraphs often written in prose-poem form. To give an example, of the Two of Swords he writes, “This thinking that polarizes the world in order to comprehend it, a counter balance through the finding of knowledge. Our two interwoven strands of DNA insure it. Two eyes focused forward give reason, meaning and depth to creation. Perception is a mirror.”

Caitlin Matthews's book, Untold Tarot, is getting some good hype at the moment. I haven't received my copy yet, but, as far as I can tell, it draws heavily on playing-card reading techniques (like Camelia Elias).

http://caitlin-matthews.blogspot.com/

Yes, it does. I like it - it’s very practical and would get someone up and running with TdM.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, Annabelle said:

I concur -- Lee Bursten's book is a very user-friendly resource for someone brand new to reading the TdM.

As for my second choice for a TdM beginner, that's a tough decision. My personal favorite is Camelia Elias's Marseille Tarot: Towards The Art of Reading. In my opinion, her method for reading the TdM is the most objective, ethical, and clear that I've ever seen. (Confession -- I like her method so well that I have taken one of her online courses on reading the TdM, and am currently taking her advanced TdM class).

On the other hand, not everyone likes her writing style or her reading style.

For a total beginner, Yoav Ben-Dov may be a little easier to understand.

Jodorowsky is a hard no-thanks for me. I've read part of his book, but I found myself uninterested in finishing it. I wouldn't recommend it, especially not for a TdM beginner.

I agree with Annabelle, my favourite TdM book by far is Camelia Elias's, but I have no idea what I would have made of it as an absolute beginner. Ben-Dov is best for beginners. I've never read Jodorowsky or Bursten. 

Annabelle, I am very interested in Elias's courses. Obviously you think it was worth the investment! So as not to derail the thread, I'd love a PM from you about them, if you feel like it. I love her.