tarot_cat

Book of tarot spells?

tarot_cat

I'm interested in exploring using the tarot for magick. I've seen a few books online, but the reviews are concerning on all of them in one way or another (to me, anyway). Does anyone here have a book they would recommend?

Thank you in advance!

Arania

I create my own spells for use with Tarot and oracles, and I can't imagine premade spells to work that well, for example, because not everyone has the same deck and symbolism is very much important.

tarot_cat

Thank you both for your replies. I will take a look at that book, @Barleywine! And @Arania, I figured I would tweak anything I found to work with, anyway. I just wanted a place to start, if that makes sense. 🙂

Arania

It makes sense. I would love to get a study group or something going here about Tarot and spellwork, to compare how people do things and try out stuff together.

Purplemystic

I'd like to join in and try out tarot spells. I have in the past done a spell on a Full Moon along with a Full Moon tarot reading for myself. 

53rdspirit

I have always consulted the cards before doing any kind of spellwork; then, sometimes use the card(s) in the spellwork --it depends. I couldn't recommend a book, @tarot_cat, because I don't use a book on tarot for spellwork --I know they're out there, though. 

leroidetrèfle

I never undertake or perform any operative work before divination. Ordinarily, I prefer playing cards/lenormand or lithomancy for that but tarot is fine. The reading decides much of what form the spell and ritual — not uncommon I imagine — takes and I’m not too sure if that can be condensed into a book. You would also need to decide on the style.

I’ve heard good things about Donald Tyson’s Tarot Magic. But it’s not my cup of tea so I haven’t read it. 

Arania

I don't consult the cards always, I pick a relevant card from a relevant deck - or sometimes several. Every now and then, a spread turns into a spell.

katrinka

2 hours ago, leroidetrèfle said:

I’ve heard good things about Donald Tyson’s Tarot Magic. But it’s not my cup of tea so I haven’t read it. 

I had a look at it on amazon. It looks like it might be workable for someone who is into ceremonial magic to begin with. (Or they could just go straight to the sources: Crowley, Regardie, etc.)
For something more down to earth, there's some good titles here. https://www.luckymojo.com/luckymojopublishing.html

Particularly A deck of Spells by Professor Charles Porterfield. It's just what it sounds like: Hoodoo playing card magic. You could apply similar methods to Tarot.

tarot_cat

Thank you to everyone for the input! I appreciate it and will be following all the links. 🙂

@Arania, I think a study group would be very interesting, if you decide to do one!