Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

16 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

Our Center of Disease control officer yesterday said on TV, that fresh garlic has anti BACTERIAL properties NOT ANTIVIRAL and for a corona virus it is useless!

But Quark is very delicious!

Thereby discouraging people from trying to help themselves by whatever means possible, which is not a good thing, as any action that puts one in a more positive frame of mind is good for physical strength and well-being too. 

That said, when I used to 'do' Christmas for the family every year (which went on even after the children had their own families), I went down with 'flu most years immediately afterwards. I never liked garlic and would avoid it (along with the dreaded coriander, which makes me gag), but decided to take 2 or or 3 cloves of raw garlic every day as it has a wide range of health benefits, and haven't (touch wood) had 'flu since. So I evolved this way of ingesting it, and actually enjoy it now. 

But there you are, for what it's worth. The Visconti Fool with the garlic hung around his neck may have been using it to keep people away and self-isolating... 😶

OK, my mistake, apologies for the inexactitude. 🤭 It's odd though that The Center of Disease Control Officer felt he/she had to make a pronouncement that sounds as though he/she was actively discouraging people from taking garlic. 

This is from an article by Susun Weed (2004)

Eat More Garlic  

One of the best immune-system helpers is garlic. Dr. James Duke says it contains at least 17 different factors that nourish and support powerful immune system functioning. Herbalists in the middle ages relied on it to prevent infection from the plague, so it might keep us safe from the flu. Garlic is anti-bacterial, too. If you don't like fresh raw garlic, powdered garlic is just as good. The dose is 1 or more cloves of raw garlic per day, or up to a teaspoon of garlic powder. Here are a few of my favorite ways to eat raw garlic:

• Top scrambled eggs with minced raw garlic.
  • Put chopped raw garlic on pasta and cover with tomato sauce.
  • Try minced raw garlic on a piece of hot buttered toast. Delicious!
  • Add minced raw garlic to your baked potato.
  • Mix chopped raw garlic and olive oil with hot cooked greens like kale or spinach

Edited by Pen
addition...

Here in Sweden they are saying that if you are older and/or have other risk factors then you should stay at home. You should not go to the grocery store and absolutely not to the pharmacy/drug store. The ideal is to have someone help you or arrange home delivery. The people who work in areas where there is a lot of activity (here it’s the south of Sweden so far) should work from home if they can. No one should visit elderly/sick people and absolutely no one should leave their home if they are feeling unwell. 

For those in panic about the world running out of food I just got email from my grocery store in Canada; (Loblaws - which owns LOADS of chains)

Those who went shopping recently will have seen extraordinary numbers of people in stores, long lines, and aisles empty of product. This was a result of extreme levels of buying as millions of Canadians stocked up their kitchens and medicine cabinets. I’m sure the many photos of bare shelves on social media only increased your level of concern.

First and foremost. Do not worry. We are not running out of food or essential supplies. Our supply chain and store teams are responding to the spikes in volume and quickly getting the most important items back on the shelf. Volumes are already normalizing somewhat, and we are catching up. There are a few items, like hand sanitizer, that may take longer to get back, but otherwise we are in good shape.

Another concern you may have is that your supermarket or drugstore could raise prices on the items you and your family need most. Do not worry. This will not happen at our stores. We will not raise a single price on any item to take advantage of COVID-19.

It won't be business as usual. But, you will be able to count on us. Our teams from across the country, at stores in every community, have been hard at work around the clock to live up to that commitment.

Please keep in mind our service relies on keeping them, and in turn you, safe and healthy. That is our top priority, and it may mean limiting the number of people in our stores at any given time as well as asking customers to keep a certain distance from each other while shopping to reduce the risk of making one another sick.

We are prepared for this, and to support those most in need, we are opening some of our stores early with dedicated hours for seniors and people living with disabilities to come before the crowds. We are also encouraging those customers who cannot shop our stores to take advantage of our e-prescribing and PC Express options like click-and-collect and home delivery. Last week we lowered delivery prices and eliminated pick up fees and, just like in our stores, we’ve seen a spike in volume.

And in the UK the same seems to apply.

3 minutes ago, gregory said:

For those in panic about the world running out of food I just got email from my grocery store in Canada; (Loblaws - which owns LOADS of chains)

And in the UK the same seems to apply.

That’s great!

I'm coughing now and have a high temp. Feeling ok though. Not so little one is off school and we've spent the morning on educational stuff, he has maths activities online he can do, his school reading books (plus hundreds of books here anyway), and he has sciencey box sets we've not finished - growing crystals, 'volcano's' that sort of thing, as well as an ant farm and worm farm we could set up. Turfed him out into the garden for ten minutes before it started raining so we could check out Spring - the blueberry bushes are flowering, and the magnolia, grape hyacinth are everywhere as usual and we looked out for bumble bees. Determined to get us all out in the garden regularly. Letting him have half an hour on the Nintendo now before lunch.

I'll be Skypeing into a work meeting after lunch.

Keeping us all busy is the aim, so we don't go stir crazy, and the six year old is very prone to climbing the walls if stuck inside!

14 minutes ago, ilweran said:

I'm coughing now and have a high temp. Feeling ok though. Not so little one is off school and we've spent the morning on educational stuff, he has maths activities online he can do, his school reading books (plus hundreds of books here anyway), and he has sciencey box sets we've not finished - growing crystals, 'volcano's' that sort of thing, as well as an ant farm and worm farm we could set up. Turfed him out into the garden for ten minutes before it started raining so we could check out Spring - the blueberry bushes are flowering, and the magnolia, grape hyacinth are everywhere as usual and we looked out for bumble bees. Determined to get us all out in the garden regularly. Letting him have half an hour on the Nintendo now before lunch.

Keeping us all busy is the aim, so we don't go stir crazy, and the six year old is very prone to climbing the walls if stuck inside!

I hope you feel better soon 💗

16 minutes ago, ilweran said:

😞 Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you @Raggydoll @stephanelli It could just be a cold, I have my fingers crossed for that, or that, as a woman, I'm statistically less likely to have it badly if it is CV. I'm also in reasonable health, no long term conditions. Thankfully I told my parents to stay away, though my dad was over last week. All we can do is wait and see.

On the positive side, we have enough cat food so are safe from angry cats at least!

Marigold

I've never seen such calm in the streets and shops. Measures came in yesterday to close all commerces, restaurants and public venues in Switzerland. In public play areas for kids, only five people are allowed at a time.

I thought there'd be queues at the supermarket, people being filtered in one by one. Nothing of the sort. Less people than usual and they keep their distances nicely.  There's no panic shopping and everyone is behaving beautifully. The shelves are fully stocked. I was expecting more panic, but no. The Swiss remain true to themselves. Plodding and disciplined and calm. 

When I compare it to what I've seen described in this thread in other places, it's like day and night. I'm very grateful. 

I went out with my granddaughter and a friend of hers to the park this morning. Everyone keeps their distances and we just raise our voices a bit to chat. It's very nice to see this. I think Switzerland may be able to avoid containment if people all continue playing the game correctly. The Federal Council said they want to avoid at all costs, if they can, to shut down the whole country. 

Edited by Marigold
8 minutes ago, 53rdspirit said:

My husband is going to teach me how to play pinochle if we are isolated. He said it is better with four, but two will work. 😄  

We're thinking it'll be a good time to work through our Jigsaw collection!

29952920_2020-03-1712_35_43.thumb.jpg.b1099afe484729f14e4cf068499e06d0.jpg

@stephanelli, that’s a good collection! We’ve got a couple of Christmas puzzles still to do and a big selection of board games.  I’m confident we could amuse ourselves for a couple of weeks at home although not going for a daily walk might be tough. 

@ilweran, hope you feel better soon. The symptoms are so generic - hopefully it’s just another virus. 

holidayhouseATL
6 hours ago, Pen said:

That said, when I used to 'do' Christmas for the family every year (which went on even after the children had their own families), I went down with 'flu most years immediately afterwards. I never liked garlic and would avoid it (along with the dreaded coriander, which makes me gag), but decided to take 2 or or 3 cloves of raw garlic every day as it has a wide range of health benefits, and haven't (touch wood) had 'flu since. So I evolved this way of ingesting it, and actually enjoy it now. 

I could not agree more about the immune-boosting powers of garlic!  I am not brave enough to take it raw, but I swear by the garlic pills I take everyday.  Also, zinc, and vitamins C and D!  

Stay safe and well everyone!  Sending love and light...

Mi-Shell

♥ (((((ilweran!)))))♥ 💕☘️

Here this morning our Premier of Ontario declared a state of emergency!

All bars and restaurants to be closed etc.....

The airlines will stop going on Sunday, just West Jet will fly for the government to repatriate Canadian citizens from wherever.

Long line ups on the borders, our "snow birds are returning from Florida and other US states down south. All will get tested. 

The border is closed to all none citizens from all countries - except the USA.... Why, the infections are mostly coming in from there?????

And NOW US people are en mass trying to get across the border into the country, either because they have vacation homes here and deem it safer than staying in the US, also hoping with a travel health insurance that they get access to our health care system.

Others are just - "de-Trumping"  and are trying to rent a place up here for the same reasons........??

holidayhouseATL
5 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

If you have some more, especially lighthearted ones then I’d love to see ☺️

Two of my favorite coronavirus memes:

if-you-need-144-rolls-of-toilet-paper-for-a-14-day-quarantine-corona-virus-meme.jpg

coronavirus-toilet-paper-15.png

xTheHermitx
7 hours ago, stephanelli said:

I agree Hermit mode is great, but too much of it tends to let me to feel rather depressed.  Having a reason to get out the house really keeps my depression at bay.

definitely. i will be riding my mountain bike later today...or bmx, or both. 

xTheHermitx
9 minutes ago, Mi-Shell said:

♥ (((((ilweran!)))))♥ 💕☘️

Here this morning our Premier of Ontario declared a state of emergency!

All bars and restaurants to be closed etc.....

The airlines will stop going on Sunday, just West Jet will fly for the government to repatriate Canadian citizens from wherever.

Long line ups on the borders, our "snow birds are returning from Florida and other US states down south. All will get tested. 

The border is closed to all none citizens from all countries - except the USA.... Why, the infections are mostly coming in from there?????

And NOW US people are en mass trying to get across the border into the country, either because they have vacation homes here and deem it safer than staying in the US, also hoping with a travel health insurance that they get access to our health care system.

Others are just - "de-Trumping"  and are trying to rent a place up here for the same reasons........??

ugh...apologizing for the influx of "non-essential" Americans coming in!  

I love De-Trumping!!  That is funny

I'm still going to work, although it's my usual day off today.

I work in a busy supermarket pharmacy in the UK, and we have 1 off sick (unrelated to Covid-19) and 1 on holiday at the moment, which is putting a lot more stress on the rest of us who are still going in. If I had a £1 for every person asking for paracetamol, I could retire! Unfortunately we ran out last week so all I can do is apologise ("sorry" is currently my most used word at work at the moment!)

As I have long-term health conditions (crohn's disease & asthma), I don't know if I'm going to get called by the NHS next week and told to go into 12-week isolation or not. While I'm not at more risk of catching it, I am more at risk of complications if I do go down with it. On one hand I'd rather be at home safe, but on the other it's going to put even more stress on my colleagues.

At least if I do end up in isolation, I've got Animal Crossing arriving on Friday, so I'll just go spend my time on the island! 

@ilweran sending you good vibes! My hubby and I have a cold with a bit of a temp since about 4 weeks now..... phew.... The toughest part really is to get this word 'covid-19' out of the brain and just treat it like any other flu - until proven otherwise of course. Just try to stay calm, lots of Vitamin C, lots of fluid.

@Mi-Shell so happy for you that Peter made it back home! That must be a relief!

@stephanelli I know exactly what you say, I love being home but then I do not ..... but for this we can use the technology and face-time and/or skype.

@Raggydoll thanks for making us giggle too! There are so many funny pics going around. Have to see if I can find one to share too.

@Little Fang how is it going? I totally agree with Raggydoll, that captain needs to get tested....

On our little island it is quiet. We have a huge university with lots of foreign students, almost all of them left. The tourist have gone too..... There was a bit of panic shopping but not crazy, most people would not have money for too much shopping anyway. Schools are closed and many restaurants are closed too as it is too complicated to follow all the rules. Our gov says they had tested people but so far none has tested positive......

5 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

E2AF43E7-F565-4A13-A0ED-8C53A0F54177.jpeg.7d33b40932fc649532e083459faf79b6.jpeg

Hahahaha! Needed this. 

Our city has been declared in a state of emergency and almost everything has closed or been shut down. One confirmed case of COVID-19 at the hospital about a mile from us and two more unconfirmed. It's like a ghost town out there.

Here we goooooo!!!!

Edited by 53rdspirit

I think most of us in this thread seem to understand the need to social distancing, but I still thought I would share a really good and easy to understand video to explain the urgency surrounding COVID. The real threat is with the hospitals being over capacity. Once that happens, the death rates will go up:

Overall I think I have been handling all the shutdowns and isolation well. However, if we have to go into complete lockdown where we are banned to go outside, I think I would lose my mind... I really hope that doesn't get to that here.

I am thinking of and praying for everyone getting through this!! :heart:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mi-Shell said:

Actually that isn't true... infection is coming from all over the place,

But Trudeau explained why US only - because so much of our supply chain comes from there - we need the food, the drugs, everything that come win by truck. They are working on ways to make it trucks only.

I got everything I needed this morning - except the macaroni the grandson "needs" (spaghetti won't do.) It all seems to be because people said early on on fartbook etc that there was no TP or pasta - so those are the ONLY things out of stock. The veggie freezer in another town was empty last week - but it turned out it was just because it had broken down, and they would have got me anything I asked for out from the storage rooms.

Edited by gregory