Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

we have a confirmed case in our local hospital now. 

Like Gregory, I have a lot of family members who live on the margins of society, those that do work that won't be able to, they don't have any stockpiles of Anything in the best of times. I haven't got a clue how to help, our government is so late to get mobilized, and in most respects still hasn't. This is seriously testing the world. I doubt we'll earn a 10 in history.

But...many famous (rich) people are stepping forward to donate quite large sums of money to their local food banks and service organizations. Jack Ma says he will donate one million face masks and 500,000 coronavirus testing kits...

but that brings up another query. All these places where you can drive up and be tested...surely that is just a hand held temperature device. That is all they are doing in airports.  The testing kits are going to the hospitals and care centers, what few there are, and the results take a few days. I think the idea you can just show up somewhere and see if you are infected are giving a false sense of action. Any thoughts? 

The tests are only 70-90% accurate I've read.

I am sick at the moment and no longer sure it's the flu. Luckily we are done with all our shopping.

@joy I'm ok, staying calm, keeping busy. I have anxiety, but I'm ok when stuff actually happens, plus I have enough anti-anxiety meds in the house so not worrying about that. 

We've had paints out, been out in the garden with scooter and water pistols (!). Back on the Nintendo for a bit now so I can sit quietly.

Hope everyone else is doing ok!

2 minutes ago, ilweran said:

@joy I'm ok, staying calm, keeping busy. I have anxiety, but I'm ok when stuff actually happens, plus I have enough anti-anxiety meds in the house so not worrying about that. 

We've had paints out, been out in the garden with scooter and water pistols (!). Back on the Nintendo for a bit now so I can sit quietly.

Hope everyone else is doing ok!

Good, just keep it up and feel free to use this space as much as you need it! ❤️

4 minutes ago, Arania said:

The tests are only 70-90% accurate I've read.

I am sick at the moment and no longer sure it's the flu. Luckily we are done with all our shopping.

Why do you think it is not the  flu anymore? What are your symptoms? Try staying calm.

Because the flu should have been over a few days ago - and it was, actually. I have been told I could go out again once I didn't feel dizzy anymore,so we did do our shopping and worked in the garden.

I do not think it is a recurrence, because it feels differently, and my symptoms are all over the place.  I have chronic issues so it is dofficult to say what's an acute disease or chronic problems, but I have a temperature which goes up and the away all the time, feel a different kind of weak, with almost constant headaches, and a slight couch. Not completely dry cough, but then, with my chronic cough due to Sicca-Syndrome this does not say much. My chronic cough feels different.

I am a hermit-type person. We hardly go anywhere,we don't get visitors. So,really, if I got the new virus on the block, basically everyone has it.

I'm not worried. My body has a lot of chronic nonsense going on but acute disease it usually deals well with.

2 minutes ago, Grandma said:

Could you please provide a link?  I can't find this statistic.  

I have no idea anymore, I read so many articles. I just remember a doctor from a clinic in New Jersey (I think) explaining that they got lots of false positives, and  people who tested negative and later developed the disease anyway. It also seems to depend on what type of test.

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

@Arania Drink a lot of water to keep the lungs flush if you think its the corona virus, even if its not. Everyone should drink carrot juice if they can and take vitamin B.

I have to drink a lot due to Sicca syndrome and my diabetes meds in any case,  so I won't dry out. I feel pretty good, did planting and sowing in the garden today , enjoying the great weather.

7 minutes ago, Arania said:

Because the flu should have been over a few days ago - and it was, actually. I have been told I could go out again once I didn't feel dizzy anymore,so we did do our shopping and worked in the garden.

I do not think it is a recurrence, because it feels differently, and my symptoms are all over the place.  I have chronic issues so it is dofficult to say what's an acute disease or chronic problems, but I have a temperature which goes up and the away all the time, feel a different kind of weak, with almost constant headaches, and a slight couch. Not completely dry cough, but then, with my chronic cough due to Sicca-Syndrome this does not say much. My chronic cough feels different.

I am a hermit-type person. We hardly go anywhere,we don't get visitors. So,really, if I got the new virus on the block, basically everyone has it.

I'm not worried. My body has a lot of chronic nonsense going on but acute disease it usually deals well with.

So you have seen a doctor? Great to not being worried, that is one of the best medicine!
Are you saying the temperature keeps going up and down? I hope you feel better soon!

I've just seen a neighbour a few doors up working in her garden as I was coming home from walking the lovely dog. She says she's been poorly for five days but is better now. She's pretty sure it was the virus as she became poorly after returning from a visit to her son and his family, and she says it started with a sore throat. Apparently her son caught it from his conductor (who was tested positive) and most or all of her son's family caught it too. She's in her seventies and fairly fit and didn't need the doctor. She's continuing to self-isolate at home and in the garden. 

Edited by Pen
correction...
8 minutes ago, Pen said:

I've just seen a neighbour a few doors up working in her garden as I was coming home from walking the lovely dog. She says she's been poorly for five days but is better now. She's pretty sure it was the virus as she became poorly after returning from a visit to her son and his family, and she says it started with a sore throat. Apparently her son caught it from his conductor (who was tested positive) and most or all of her son's family caught it too. She's in her seventies and fairly fit and didn't need the doctor. She's continuing to self-isolate at home and in the garden. 

It has been said that dogs can  enhance one's health and increase longevity. 🙂 🐕‍🦺

katrinka
11 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I normally think all these Facebook memes are annoying but for some reason, this time they make me giggle. If you have some more, especially lighthearted ones then I’d love to see ☺️

DBA406A1-471D-4122-946A-C67211E0F445.jpeg.175c04a2960fed916869749aec30b3d7.jpeg

E2AF43E7-F565-4A13-A0ED-8C53A0F54177.jpeg.7d33b40932fc649532e083459faf79b6.jpeg

For 14 days.
WHEEEEEEE!

katrinka
13 hours ago, Pen said:

Thereby discouraging people from trying to help themselves by whatever means possible, which is not a good thing, as any action that puts one in a more positive frame of mind is good for physical strength and well-being too. 

True, but it's important to distinguish between a placebo and something that has a measurable effect. 
You might improve your frame of mind by watching a movie or calling a friend. But that doesn't mean these acts have antiviral properties in themselves. 

13 hours ago, Pen said:

OK, my mistake, apologies for the inexactitude. 🤭 It's odd though that The Center of Disease Control Officer felt he/she had to make a pronouncement that sounds as though he/she was actively discouraging people from taking garlic. 

Actually, they were saying that garlic is not effective against coronavirus, not that people shouldn't eat it. 
It's just a fact, no reason to be offended by it. Plunging back into the Dark Ages isn't what we need to be doing right now. People can eat all the garlic they like. They just shouldn't be misled into thinking that it's effective against coronavirus when it actually isn't.

geoxena
5 hours ago, Arania said:

I have no idea anymore, I read so many articles. I just remember a doctor from a clinic in New Jersey (I think) explaining that they got lots of false positives, and  people who tested negative and later developed the disease anyway. It also seems to depend on what type of test.

That was from one of the articles I posted upthread.  He is the head of a hospital which has a lot of cases - in fact, the whole town where it's located is on quarantine or something like it.  He said you can't fast-track developing the test and what they have now is only up to 90% accurate.

Marigold
1 hour ago, katrinka said:

Actually, they were saying that garlic is not effective against coronavirus, not that people shouldn't eat it. 
It's just a fact, no reason to be offended by it. Plunging back into the Dark Ages isn't what we need to be doing right now. People can eat all the garlic they like. They just shouldn't be misled into thinking that it's effective against coronavirus when it actually isn't.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1640606/offbeat

7 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

This is seriously testing the world. I doubt we'll earn a 10 in history.

I refuse to get anything but a 10. I was added to a Covid-19 support group on Facebook for my country (Australia). It has strict no selling, no fear spreading rules (no talking about rumours or news articles). It's simply for people to support each other, help people out with extra food and supplies they might have. People are donating nappies, sanitiser, soap, frozen meals, baby formula, even helping people pick up kids and do shopping. It's the small things that count. Some have older neighbours that need help, so they post requests on their behalf. The first hour of grocery shopping is designated for seniors and the disabled here, which is the least we could do. But some people need much more assistance especially after our bushfires, and these groups of ordinary people are really banding together to help each other. 

For every crazy person getting into a fight at the supermarket, hoarding stockpiles of supplies and generally spreading hysteria, there are 100s others supporting each other. Do a search for support groups that may have been started in your area, or maybe start one yourself if there isn't one up yet.