Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

katrinka
3 hours ago, gregory said:

Garlic as an immunity booster in general is hardly dark ages stuff,. My DOCTOR recommends it.

It has mild antimicrobal (NOT antiviral) properties. Fresh produce in general is good for immunity, it's healthy. General good health can stave off disease - up to a point.

But there is nothing you can eat that cures coronavirus.

Lady Butterfly
19 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I normally think all these Facebook memes are annoying but for some reason, this time they make me giggle. If you have some more, especially lighthearted ones then I’d love to see ☺️

Here are some for you Raggy...

88363993_2697530593649284_8128061703138050048_n.jpg.96f124c7d976333d6ac56901bb728a5e.jpg

And....

90316744_598421770749670_3279124143705948160_n.jpg.7bdf3bce7a9cb592619c07c10e5e086a.jpg

:bubble_blol::dancing-cat::bubble_blol:

15 hours ago, holidayhouseATL said:

Two of my favorite coronavirus memes:

if-you-need-144-rolls-of-toilet-paper-for-a-14-day-quarantine-corona-virus-meme.jpg

coronavirus-toilet-paper-15.png

😁😁😁

Here are some more highlights:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/17/coronavirus-diaries-everyone-is-frightened-and-its-getting-weird-now?fbclid=IwAR1MkGUFwE947oX-wCnrLQ5y6coVbInHrw7ETF2Yk2Wt099FuRHSatxmM0Y

F1894F64-7A16-4561-BE95-65F1A9AAA18B.thumb.jpeg.cf2ff334e93890381baa10c790731c30.jpeg

And on a more serious note:

09CF93FE-D2D8-4CBF-BA42-1CF6CE0A2A33.thumb.jpeg.c0a4b981c3c3974a43453b7aefcbd6d3.jpeg

I heard that people fought in a supermarket because some didn't respect the social distance, what made other people angry because they feared to be infected. Oh God!

I think this period we live in will leave traces with regard to social distance between people!

11 hours ago, katrinka said:

True, but it's important to distinguish between a placebo and something that has a measurable effect. 
You might improve your frame of mind by watching a movie or calling a friend. But that doesn't mean these acts have antiviral properties in themselves. 

Actually, they were saying that garlic is not effective against coronavirus, not that people shouldn't eat it. 
It's just a fact, no reason to be offended by it. Plunging back into the Dark Ages isn't what we need to be doing right now. People can eat all the garlic they like. They just shouldn't be misled into thinking that it's effective against coronavirus when it actually isn't.

I didn't see the TV statement re. garlic, it was more that the shouty capital letters in the reply to my post gave me that impression. 

As for the Dark Ages (which were actually not so dark if certain historians are to be believed), people had to help themselves to a greater extent than they do today. And if garlic strengthens the immune system then it may be effective in that respect against the the c.virus and perhaps people should be encouraged to take it rather than be told it's useless.

Re. measurable effects, life is not a laboratory and doctors and scientists are not gods. 

And incidentally, I wasn't offended and my frame of mind is just fine. 

Edited by Pen
typo/addition
13 hours ago, 53rdspirit said:

It has been said that dogs can  enhance one's health and increase longevity. 🙂 🐕‍🦺

I'm sure this is true, I just wish they lived longer - their life expectancy is so short compared to ours.

Just now, Pen said:

I'm sure this is true, I just wish they lived longer - their life expectancy is so short compared to ours.

It's worse when your pet of choice is mice.  They live 1-2 years on average 😞

But they are so full of personality and loveliness that I wouldn't have it any other way.

12 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

It's worse when your pet of choice is mice.  They live 1-2 years on average 😞

But they are so full of personality and loveliness that I wouldn't have it any other way.

My daughter had a hamster called Peanut. We used to let her out in the conservatory fairly often but she'd disappear by digging down into the large plant pots and burrowing among the roots. One day someone left the door open and she got into the garden. I was far more upset than my daughter and spent ages in the garden calling her (she usually came when we called), but no, she'd gone for good. I read somewhere that they can cover 8 kms a night in the wild. It's sad, but I guess that that they live in the moment and don't think too much about mortality.  

Edited by Pen
4 minutes ago, Pen said:

My daughter had a hamster called Peanut. We used to let her out in the conservatory fairly often but she's disappear by digging down into the large plant pots and burrowing among the roots. One day someone left the door open and she got into the garden. I was far more upset than my daughter and spent ages in the garden calling her (she usually came when we called), but no, she'd gone for good. I read somewhere that they can cover 8 kms a night in the wild. It's sad, but I guess that that they live in the moment and don't think too much about mortality.  

Awwwww, that's sad about Peanut 😞

My mice certainly live completely in the moment, weirdly, I've learnt a lot from watching then:

- living in the moment

- enjoying what you have right now

- always be hopeful that more treats are on the way

- indulge in the things you enjoy

It's a great philosophy for life!

1 minute ago, stephanelli said:

Awwwww, that's sad about Peanut 😞

My mice certainly live completely in the moment, weirdly, I've learnt a lot from watching then:

- living in the moment

- enjoying what you have right now

- always be hopeful that more treats are on the way

- indulge in the things you enjoy

It's a great philosophy for life!

It is indeed. 🙂

Latest news here in Sweden is that we are developing a test to see which people have already had corona and thereby developed immunity. The test is believed to be available within a few weeks and they will use it to find medical staff that have immunity and that can safely work with risk groups. They will also use it to assess how widespread the virus is and to monitor our process towards immunity, so they can tailor their decisions accordingly. Swedes are also working on a vaccine but since it will take a long time to develop, they are now treating the most severe cases with remdesivir. It’s a medicine tailored for Ebola that seem to have effect on corona. They are also testing 10 or so preexisting drugs to see if they can work for corona. It’s of course far quicker and cheaper to use preexisting medicines, and some of them are promising. Here’s to hoping! 

10 hours ago, ilweran said:

Didn't someone eat too much raw garlic and made themselves ill? That could be why they felt they needed to say something.

I ate too much garlic for dinner, really over did it. We're all safe from vampires tonight!

I hadn't heard that - it makes the reason for the statement understandable.

I hope you didn't eat too much garlic because of my post...😧 

14 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Latest news here in Sweden is that we are developing a test to see which people have already had corona and thereby developed immunity. The test is believed to be available within a few weeks and they will use it to find medical staff that have immunity and that can safely work with risk groups. They will also use it to assess how widespread the virus is and to monitor our process towards immunity, so they can tailor their decisions accordingly. Swedes are also working on a vaccine but since it will take a long time to develop, they are now treating the most severe cases with remdesivir. It’s a medicine tailored for Ebola that seem to have effect on corona. They are also testing 10 or so preexisting drugs to see if they can work for corona. It’s of course far quicker and cheaper to use preexisting medicines, and some of them are promising. Here’s to hoping! 

That test would be awesome.

But I was under the impression that we don't know yet whether it's possible to be immune to it or how long you might be immune to it if you are?

7 hours ago, katrinka said:

It has mild antimicrobal (NOT antiviral) properties. Fresh produce in general is good for immunity, it's healthy. General good health can stave off disease - up to a point.

But there is nothing you can eat that cures coronavirus.

No indeed. But garlic DOES help strengthen the immune system, in general.

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Re. measurable effects, life is not a laboratory and doctors and scientists are not gods. 

VERY much this.

12 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

But I was under the impression that we don't know yet whether it's possible to be immune to it or how long you might be immune to it if you are?

Yes - there was a depressing but in the Guardian yesterday saying they don't know if you can get it twice or not.

There is a fascinating piece on the BBC yesterday from a historian (Sir Peter Hennessy) about how this will permanently change the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000gd09

It starts around 8 minutes 45 seconds. Riveting stuff - no panic or anything - just how things will change afterwards.

28 minutes ago, gregory said:

Yes - there was a depressing but in the Guardian yesterday saying they don't know if you can get it twice or not.

There is a fascinating piece on the BBC yesterday from a historian (Sir Peter Hennessy) about how this will permanently change the world.

It starts around 8 minutes 45 seconds. Riveting stuff - no panic or anything - just how things will change afterwards.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a listen later 🙂

Marigold
58 minutes ago, gregory said:

That was most interesting indeed. Thanks gregory. 

I think we all sense that an era is over. All this business may be linked to the "Great Shift" as it it termed. It certainly feels like something is happening that is beyond just the virus. Society will never be the same again. A change of consciousness will no doubt take place - is taking place already. But it's still to be seen whether people will grasp this opportunity or just go back to their old ways when all this is over.

This whole story will also not just be a sentence in a history book. The year 2020 will go to spurn whole books and movies and art. Even in a few centuries, history books will no doubt speak of it.  Like they do when they talk of the end of the Roman Empire. 

We've been living on the ruins of our civilisation for some time now. That's why there's so much extremism. People are clinging onto the dregs that remain. Most don't realise that they're living in ruins. They're so used to it that they think it's normal.

But I think there is a very good chance that our world may be better after all this. I'm feeling strangely peaceful and optimistic. As if there's a change a'coming. Like the Wind has changed direction and is now coming in from the East. 

On another subject, very comforting for those who trust in such things. There are a lot of light workers contributing to the solution of this problem. Their full and complete attention is being given to this issue. And they are receiving help from other realms. We'll get through this and this virus will be contained. 

Let's not forget that our grandparents or parents were sent to the trenches with guns and cannons when they were fighting a war. Still are in many places. We're being ordered to sit on our couches, as a great meme said that I saw earlier this morning. And we have the internet and can video our friends and chat to them through social media. We've got a lot of things people don't have in a usual war. We can be grateful for what we have. And also every morning the sun will come up and the tides will come in or go out. The Great Order of things is still in place and has been forever and will forever. 

Edited by Marigold

Yeah,  there is a chance that this thing might save the world. It is so unfortunate though that as a collective we are so stupid that such a thing had to happen in the first place.

Marigold
2 minutes ago, Arania said:

Yeah,  there is a chance that this thing might save the world. It is so unfortunate though that as a collective we are so stupid that such a thing had to happen in the first place.

The origin of all this was a long time ago. We're just at the end of a long series of bad decisions. I'm talking centuries ago. Our species made some bad mistakes - out of ignorance and fear and often greed - and once the train had started off, it just continued on the same tracks. 

But free will is given to us always. Let's do it differently this time, and learn from the errors of our ancestors. There are also many who showed another path and their writings and teachings are still available. The train conductors chose to burn them at the stake, but they haven't killed their ideas and philosophies.

We'll be learning a lot about ourselves as a society through these strange times. And confined in our homes, we'll have a lot of time to ponder. Without the distractions and temptations of our contemporary life.  For a lot of people, ,a more meditative state will become almost a norm. 

1 hour ago, stephanelli said:

They have new statistics (I believe from China and South Korea) and it’s in line with what we know about previous SARS outbreaks. So you would have immunity for as long as a seasonal outbreak typically lasts. That means that when/if it returns then there is likely only a partial immunity left. And the virus will probably continue to mutate (and likely weaken) until it becomes our main cold virus. Many scientists  believe it will flare up again later this year, if it cools down over the summer. 

Eta: I should probably also have explained that this test is the exact same type of tests we already perform to determine immunity for other diseases. The fact that you can test and see antibodies for a virus means that immunity is a thing. They will test it widely on the population and for a long time to get the most reliable statistics.  Sorry if my English is not the best for explaining this. I did study virology (and microbiology) as part of my medical training but it’s a loooong time ago and it’s hard to explain in English. I haven’t worked in the field so most of it has crumbled to dust in the head office by now. Though I have several friends and family members who work in the medical field, especially my husband has to keep on top of things because of his work.

BY THE WAY - if shortages mean you start to use kitchen towels. Kleenex and wipes instead of TP - PLEASE do not flush it. Sewers cannot handle it, and will start to back up. Keep a closed bin in the bathroom and put used stuff in there. YES it's no fun - but the alternative is a lot less fun. (At times like this I am so glad we have a septic tank !)

https://globalnews.ca/news/6684851/water-system-clogging-coronavirus/