gregory

Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

Raggydoll
40 minutes ago, gregory said:

We used to do the Easter Egg hunt - we had an enormous garden. My mother used to colour code them; I could only pick up blue and purple ones.... middle sis got red and pink, and little sis green and yellow. When we set them up for the girls w used to write clues and make them work on a scavenger hunt a bit - it also meant they couldn't accidentally steal each other's ! When I was a child there was also he small matte of church.... with lots of violets, daffodils etc.

Henning Wehn used to hunt the Easter Onion:

Grandma - your family look lovely.

Those Easter egg hunts sounds like so much fun! It is not something we do over here so I have never seen those small eggs that kids hunt for. Are they like kinder eggs and all chocolate, or is it plastic with candy inside? 

Raggydoll

If anyone wonders what a fashionable Norse witch wear as she’s out riding the broom then let me give you some examples. We do not do pointy hats, but the typical headdress is a colorful hilka/huckle (not the same as hilkka which is the traditional Saami headdress). 

These are some of my favorite vintage Easter decorations:

4B2B98E1-8A5A-43EA-B18A-A19A2B2FE88C.thumb.jpeg.2e56c41a4251ba0aaee736d370e92d92.jpeg

RavenOfSummer
15 hours ago, Grandma said:

Thank you my friend.  How are you doing?  And did you click on the link which is linkable after all?  Do me a favor and take a look - it's my family in Oregon on a 4200 mile bicycle trip in 2017.  The boys turned 11 and 13 on the road!  Aren't they all beautiful?

And my other son called again just now and we had the longest best conversation we've had in years!

They are indeed beautiful, Grandma! And what a cool family to embark on such a trip! I'm sure those boys already are amazing people and will continue to be as they grow because of all the wonderful experiences they are having.

Husband and I are holding up fine, holed up in our little apartment. We do live right next to a national park with trails so we're able to get out for some socially-distanced walks, and we also have our community garden plot just about a block away. Mostly I worry about my mom in Pennsylvania and feel the need to check in with her daily. At the beginning she wasn't taking it seriously- I had to pretty much beg her to stop going to church before they stopped services. She's taking it seriously now but I still worry.

gregory
4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Those Easter egg hunts sounds like so much fun! It is not something we do over here so I have never seen those small eggs that kids hunt for. Are they like kinder eggs and all chocolate, or is it plastic with candy inside? 

In my day - they were usually just hollow chocolate ones, about 3 inches long. NOW they sell "mini-eggs" with creamy filling.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadbury-Creme-Egg-Box-48/dp/B006Y977LQ/ref=sr_1_4?

You can also buy really small solid chocolate ones. They'd be a bitch to find in the garden !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unknown-Chocolate-eggs/dp/B07BH214KJ/ref=sr_1_21?d

Do you have a garden where the children could search without breaking the rules right now, Raggy ? You could maybe try it this year !

Edited by gregory

Raggydoll
11 minutes ago, gregory said:

In my day - they were usually just hollow chocolate ones, about 3 inches long. NOW they sell "mini-eggs" with creamy filling.

You can also buy really small solid chocolate ones. They'd be a bitch to find in the garden !

Do you have a garden where the children could search without breaking the rules right now, Raggy ? You could maybe try it this year !

We have a shared garden so it wouldn’t work, someone’s poor dog might find it and get sick. Plus the oldest can’t have chocolate (allergies). But we will likely have them search for their eggs. We have the cardboard ones that are filled with toys and treats. I know that most people seem to have the Easter bunny bring the eggs but we’ve always had the ’påskkärring’ do it (basically means the Easter hag or the Easter crone - and she’s also a witch). And here in Sweden, kids dress up as witches to beg for candy from neighbors. Not sure if that tradition exists outside of Scandinavia 🤔

gregory

They do that at Easter ? Our lot do that at Hallowe'en.

You can hide eggs in the house though. I've done that when the weather was afwul.

Raggydoll
18 minutes ago, gregory said:

They do that at Easter ? Our lot do that at Hallowe'en.

You can hide eggs in the house though. I've done that when the weather was afwul.

Yes we do that at Easter! Kids dress up as "påskkäringar" (easter witches). Halloween is a very new thing here, I had heard of it as a child (through movies and tv shows) but no one celebrated it. I remember the first time I saw a pumpkin in the store. It was around the year 2000. No one knew what to do with them. But these days some Swedes celebrate halloween too. On halloween they usually dress up as the american versions of witches with pointy hats etc. But on Easter, most kids still wear the traditional Scandinavian outfits. Or they might dress up as bunnies. I might have to PM you some old pics later so you get to see 😁

DDwarks
23 hours ago, Rupicapra said:

Hi all, I did not have a lot of time to check in a lot,and then i was not feeling too chatty. But it's all better now. I thought this would be a good time to share His Holiness' the Dalai Lama's prayer. It was a prayer chanted for his friend Vaclav Havel. His Holiness is ok with it being shared as long as it id's for free and i found an ok clip on youtube. It was actually my mum who reminded me of it. It helps me.

i understand some people might see this as cultural appropriation snd I don't want to offend anybody, but I'm sure His Holiness is ok with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PqEjkM8Hkqw

I hope everybody is safe 😊

Thank you for this link @Rupicapra 

I didn't know this mantra but will study it in view to incorporate it into my practice 🙂

The mantra HHDL recommended during this current crisis is Green Tara "Om tare tuttare ture soha"

This is my favourite version of it, if you fancy a listen 🙂

Rupicapra

Thank you for sharing @DDwarks, what a beautiful version ☺☺

@Grandma what a lovely family! They cycled how far???? 4,000 miles???? Oh I believe I may swoon! I'll never again complain about my cycle commute an my sore posterior! 😁

Luna
6 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Yes we do that at Easter! Kids dress up as "påskkäringar" (easter witches). Halloween is a very new thing here, I had heard of it as a child (through movies and tv shows) but no one celebrated it. I remember the first time I saw a pumpkin in the store. It was around the year 2000. No one knew what to do with them. But these days some Swedes celebrate halloween too. On halloween they usually dress up as the american versions of witches with pointy hats etc. But on Easter, most kids still wear the traditional Scandinavian outfits. Or they might dress up as bunnies. I might have to PM you some old pics later so you get to see 😁

Raggydoll, you're from Sweden?  My husband has family there and many years ago, before we were married he lived there for 6 months.  At that time, it was Halloween and he tried in vain to find a pumpkin, but all he could find was pumpkin pieces--cut up pumpkins and he tried to explain what he wanted it for and they all thought he was this crazy American! ha ha. Your post here made me remember that.  Just had to share.  

What part of Sweden are you in?  Its such a lovely country and the people there are also very lovely.  Its one of my favorite places to visit in Europe.  

oops!  in keeping with the topic of this thread, I was coming on to say I'm not feeling too lonely myself.  Of course it helps that the husband is here too and we have a nice sized yard that we can go out in.  Now that spring is also coming about, we are also able to start planting some of our vegetables.  This past Saturday we planted our onions and began turning over the garden soil to prepare it a bit for other veggies that will be planted later.  Adding in some of the compost we have too.  We are fortunate because we can spend time outside in our yard and garden without hearing, seeing or being interrupted by anyone coming by.  We have a very private yard.  And, then inside, I'm finding the time to really deep clean those closets that I never seem to get to and today even began to break bad on our garage--where we have a storage unit also that needed a bit of straightening up.  

We also have a neighbor who can't go to the grocery store themselves, so we take care of that for them as well as ourselves.  So shopping for two households is keeping us fairly busy.  I'm so thankful that we are able to do this.  I do miss my get togethers with my associates and friends a bit, but we keep in touch via facebook and the internet and face time.  I am glad that we live in this kind of a world where we have the fortune of internet and we are able to easily keep in touch with each other as well as our family and friends all over the world!  How lucky we are compared to the world during the flu epidemic, the Wars and the depression!  We are far luckier and better off I think then our relatives/ancestors were during those difficult times.  I'm also able to check on my elderly loved ones--family and friends via the phone and so that has been good for both of us too.  So, here, I am fine.  I am getting outside and getting some fresh air and able to do a bit of walking as we are allowed to go to parks and walk as long as we are not in a large group.  I wish it were so for everyone and I do know some who are unable to get out and about because they do not have a yard or live in an area that is heavily populated.  I feel for them and like everyone, I do still look forward to when this terrible time is over and nothing but a bad memory.  

Love to all and prayers and hopes that this terrible scare will soon be over and that we will quickly find a cure and vaccine to protect everyone in the future from this.

Edited by Luna

katrinka
3 minutes ago, Luna said:

At that time, it was Halloween and he tried in vain to find a pumpkin, but all he could find was pumpkin pieces--cut up pumpkins and he tried to explain what he wanted it for and they all thought he was this crazy American! ha ha. Your post here made me remember that.  Just had to share. 

The original Jack O Lanterns were carved from turnips. (Yikes. That must have been a lot of work!)
Gourds would work. 😉

Luna
13 minutes ago, katrinka said:

The original Jack O Lanterns were carved from turnips. (Yikes. That must have been a lot of work!)
Gourds would work. 😉

Really?!  Thats very interesting!  I didn't know that.  Thank you, Katrinka.  Yeah, I can't imagine having to carve a turnip! ha ha.  

katrinka
27 minutes ago, Luna said:

Really?!  Thats very interesting!  I didn't know that.  Thank you, Katrinka.  Yeah, I can't imagine having to carve a turnip! ha ha.  

They were MUCH scarier than the pumpkin kind. Like little shrunken heads Aiiiiieeee.. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/417497827946952911/
Another creepy thing you can do is carve an apple to look like a face, and then let it dry out. They shrink up and turn brown and wrinkled. People sometimes use them for doll heads. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/249809110556008953/
But I think they would make great shrunken heads for Halloween. Just add hair and dangle them on your porch - EW!

katrinka
8 hours ago, gregory said:

In the US, we are not allowed Cadbury Creme eggs because little kids could choke on the toys.
(So - WHY NOT JUST SUPERVISE YOUR KIDS FOR 10 MINUTES OUT OF YOUR LIFE SO THEY CAN HAVE A CADBURY AND NOT DIE? Grrrr)
We do have Cadbury eggs, but they're different. There's a plastic egg with some chocolate stuff like cake frosting inside that you have to dip out. And there's a little toy that you have to assemble.

Something else I don't see is sugar eggs. We used to get them at Winn's, the "dime store", kind of a proto Walmart/dollar store. They came wrapped in cellophane. They were SOLID sugar and frosting, and when you peeked into the hole, there was a little Easter bunny scene made of cardboard.

sugaregg.jpg.883fd750503f1d58860eaafb4e975a5f.jpg

Starlight
15 hours ago, gregory said:

Those are the ones the boys hunt - luckily they've got brightly coloured foil on the outside so they stand out amongst the grass and tree trunks. 🙂 I do NOT buy a kilo of them, though! 😄

Starlight
7 hours ago, katrinka said:

Yeah, we didn't have pumpkins in Ireland when I was at school, so one year when I was about 11 or 12 the teacher had us carve turnips with tablespoons. It took some solid hacking away for a couple of hours, but thankfully it turned out ok in the end.

gregory
9 hours ago, katrinka said:

Gourds would work. 😉

It WAS a lot of work. I am old enough that I remember having to do it.

8 hours ago, katrinka said:

In the US, we are not allowed Cadbury Creme eggs because little kids could choke on the toys.

You mean Kinder Eggs, I think (I do recall them being banned there.) Cadbury's Creme Eggs are full of just sickly sweet sugary fondant stuff. They did a much nicer mint one one year but no more....

8 hours ago, katrinka said:

Something else I don't see is sugar eggs. We used to get them at Winn's, the "dime store", kind of a proto Walmart/dollar store. They came wrapped in cellophane. They were SOLID sugar and frosting, and when you peeked into the hole, there was a little Easter bunny scene made of cardboard.

God I remember those. They were disgusting; no-one in their right mind ate one. You looked at the scene with reverence till the next really humid weather when the thing steadily got sticky and then gently collapsed.

Look - make your own !

There's a load of images if you google. Ours always had the hole on the end.

2af672e4d006c74924222714a8d96e24.jpg

katrinka
12 minutes ago, gregory said:

It WAS a lot of work. I am old enough that I remember having to do it.

You mean Kinder Eggs, I think (I do recall them being banned there.) Cadbury's Creme Eggs are full of just sickly sweet sugary fondant stuff. They did a much nicer mint one one year but no more....

Yes, I totally conflated those things.
I have yet to encounter a REAL Kinder egg. (And many Brits have rubbed that in, telling me how heavenly they are. Which I doubt. But childhood memories take on a certain golden glow.)  We only have the frosting-dipping, fake Kinder eggs.
Cadbury is the one with the bunny ads, with the goop inside. Thanks for clarifying that.

God I remember those. They were disgusting; no-one in their right mind ate one. You looked at the scene with reverence till the next really humid weather when the thing steadily got sticky and then gently collapsed.

I ate them, but I was probably four. Four year olds are pretty certifiable. I still remember crunching the sugar. Endless sugar, and those eggs seem huge when you're little. It was no epicurian delight.
I don't think I ever finished one.

Look - make your own !

Wheeee - a round of tooth decay for everybody!

gregory
6 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Yes, I totally conflated those things.
I have yet to encounter a REAL Kinder egg. (And many Brits have rubbed that in, telling me how heavenly they are. Which I doubt. But childhood memories take on a certain golden glow.)  We only have the frosting-dipping, fake Kinder eggs.
Cadbury is the one with the bunny ads, with the goop inside. Thanks for clarifying that.

They are.

But Kinder Eggs are no loss. I will send you some next time I'm that side of the pond. - IIRC we bought some for the grandchildren last time we were over.  The chocolate was quite nasty, and most of the toys are too.

katrinka

Thank you! I will do a bit of nasty chocolate to say I've experienced Kinder, and post my impressions here.

Like a review, kind of.

Raggydoll
2 minutes ago, gregory said:

They are.

But Kinder Eggs are no loss. I will send you some next time I'm that side of the pond. - IIRC we bought some for the grandchildren last time we were over.  The chocolate was quite nasty, and most of the toys are too.

You can get kinder chocolate minus the toys. (Not egg shaped) My youngest likes that for his Saturday treat 👍

Raggydoll
Just now, katrinka said:

Thank you! I will do a bit of nasty chocolate to say I've experienced Kinder, and post my impressions here.

Like a review, kind of.

Haha! Finnish chocolate is heavenly (The Fazer brand). It is so tasty and pretty affordable. Not sure if it’s available outside of Scandinavia. But if you can find it then it definitely trumps kinder chocolate any day. 

katrinka

Annnd a-googling I go. GOOD chocolate is never amiss.
A lot - well, most - of our chocolate in the US has suffered a quality slide. It tastes like sweetened wax.

gregory
8 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Annnd a-googling I go. GOOD chocolate is never amiss.
A lot - well, most - of our chocolate in the US has suffered a quality slide. It tastes like sweetened wax.

She's right. It's disgusting. Try Lindt ?