Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

katrinka
1 hour ago, FLizarraga said:

I had an eerie experience once, though. When the first HIV kit tests were created, I translated the instructions into Spanish for them. Then at one point I went to a Miami clinic to get tested, and the person who gave me the test gave me the instructions IN MY OWN WORDS. It was... bizarre, to say the least.

I'd feel good about that. It tells you that your work is being put to good use. 🙂

1 hour ago, Grandma said:

Absolutely true, but the longer people are crowded together, the more opportunities for the very little very quick infection to happen.  It's true that even if festivals are shut down people will continue to spread Covid-19 at work anyway.  But the total number of opportunities for the virus to spread will be decimated.  

Decimated how? Most people have to work. Many take public transportation, another hazard with this going on.
And they spend many more days at work than even the most avid festival-goer does at shows.

The entertainment industry is showing a much better sense of responsibility than the average workplace, as usual. 
(While I'm on this, I'd like to caution people against eating out, or even ordering takeout or pizza. Food service workers are showing up sick, because they have to. https://www.eater.com/2020/3/5/21166187/food-service-workers-without-paid-leave-cant-afford-coronavirus-quarantine

I like your signature, BTW. And I suspect The Boss is writing songs about what's going on and planning good works, even as we speak. He always was a Good Egg.)

1 hour ago, ilweran said:

Being a huge Tolkien fan, I've found he has a quote for most occasions, particularly dark or difficult times -

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

J.R.R. Tolkien – The Fellowship of The Ring

Though to be fair this particular one has been on my mind for the last year or more, what with everything else that has been going on in the world.

I'm reminded of something a friend told me years ago. She said:
"You have to stand outside of yourself, and look at your life like you're a character in a book. What would you have that character do?"
It's usually not the easy thing - but it's the thing you can feel good about when it's all said and done. No remorse.

There's lifelines to be found in Tolkien, in the Bronte sisters, in so many others - virtually any good work of fiction. 

katrinka
4 minutes ago, Grandma said:

That is so cool because I discovered John Trudell because of yours!

*fistbump*
We're on the same page when it comes to the Important Stuff, then. 🥰
We can disagree all day about the little stuff. It doesn't matter, and it keeps things interesting. 
But when the rubber meets the road, it's the Important Stuff that matters. 

katrinka
2 minutes ago, gregory said:

My high school reunion was just cancelled. I am heartbroken - I had already declined ! :rofl:

AWWW.
Not. 😁 I've already gotten nosy on facebook. Who needs reunions when you can see the horrors of time online? 😂

14 minutes ago, joy said:

Oh no... I feel so sorry for you and I am sure they will move it to a date you for sure can not attend.

jimmy fallon laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I do hope so.

Now that France has closed all but essential shops - and had already closed other attractions - we are cancelling our Paris trip. Now that DOES annoy me. Mostly because we WILL lose the money we spent on the train tickets - the apartment cancellation is free. Unless Eurostar changes its policy.

9 minutes ago, gregory said:

Now that France has closed all but essential shops - and had already closed other attractions - we are cancelling our Paris trip. Now that DOES annoy me. Mostly because we WILL lose the money we spent on the train tickets - the apartment cancellation is free. Unless Eurostar changes its policy.

Hm.... I would insist to get the money back. Oh well I guess soon long distance train travels will be banned too and then you can get your money back....

OH ! New GENUINE info - in case you didn't know - anti-inflammatories make it worse in dangerous ways. If you are in pain, safety first - you may be infected and never know - do NOT take ASA/aspirin or ibuprofen - use acetaminophen/paracetamol.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

1 minute ago, joy said:

Hm.... I would insist to get the money back. Oh well I guess soon long distance train travels will be banned too and then you can get your money back....

No choice really. I have travel insurance - but there's a deductible that would mean we got nothing ! We are hoping that that does indeed happen. We may try and pull the "we are over 70 and are supposed to self-isolate" (they will allow rebookings for free if you are actually quarantined.)

kudos91
15 minutes ago, gregory said:

I do hope so.

have they done with all the rally there yet? I wanted to go to Paris in the spring, too but now that's on hold until summer I guess

One time my friend booked the train ticket which was unrefundable due to minimum price but the lady at the ticket office told her a trick to upgrade the ticket and then ask for the refund 😂

Edited by kudos91
2 minutes ago, gregory said:

No choice really. I have travel insurance - but there's a deductible that would mean we got nothing ! We are hoping that that does indeed happen. We may try and pull the "we are over 70 and are supposed to self-isolate" (they will allow rebookings for free if you are actually quarantined.)

That sounds like a good plan!

katrinka
41 minutes ago, gregory said:

OH ! New GENUINE info - in case you didn't know - anti-inflammatories make it worse in dangerous ways. If you are in pain, safety first - you may be infected and never know - do NOT take ASA/aspirin or ibuprofen - use acetaminophen/paracetamol.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

This is vital. 
I generally take tons of aspirin for everything. It's the only thing that works at all for me, and doctors here are loathe to manage pain since the DEA is being a bunch of buckleheaded puritans. I actually had some teeth extracted not long ago, and when I asked for pain meds, they told me to"take Motrin". 

That's the answer to everything here, Motrin, Motrin, Motrin. It doesn't DO anything for me, it's like a placebo. If you ask for pain meds, they just prescribe STRONGER Motrin. Total BS. 

So I gobbled aspirin and liquored up for a couple of days. It's better than nothing, but I would have preferred a little codeine. They wouldn't have had to give me enough to get a buzz, just enough to work. That's what pain medication is FOR. Pain. 

I don't get along with ibuprofin either - it won't stay down - but paracetamol is something I'm not familiar with. I'll look into it when for when I get this plague. 

It should be available on amazon, right?

I still wish doctors would do better pain management. And I hope Motrin goes the way of the dodo bird. It does nothing,

My husband can't take NSAIDs like ibuprofen and doesn't get on with codeine so is stuck with just paracetamol. Which is a bit rubbish really. I don't find paracetamol that great for pain relief, it is supposed to make other pain medication work better though, and alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen has worked well for me when needing extra pain relief. 

I had wondered about the safety of taking ibuprofen for Covid-19, as inflammation is part of your body fighting off the infection so maybe taking an anti-inflammatory isn't the best idea. There's been a lor of panic buying of paracetamol in the UK so not that easy to find at the moment.

I am supposed to take aspirin daily, and can't take paracetamol. But I had already had a feeling that aspirin might make matters worse due to some of the medical reports I read. So I have stopped a few days ago. Luckily I have other pain killers, because I got the flu as it looks like and the headache would be a problem without.

People who makethe rules and recommendationslive in a dream world. 

I have to touch my face a lot because of the chronic goo in my eyes which is both painful and makes be almost blind at times. And it is hardly possible even for normal people not to touch their faces.

They closed pet supply shops in Italy, so people can't feed their pets who can't or won't eat supermarket food anymore. One one of my forums, there is worry now about their cat dying because of this. If anything breaks you can't buy new things because everything but pharmacy and supermarkets were forced to close. How does this make any sense? I'm really worried this will happen over here, too - with my tendency to break things or need things replaced out of the blue I'll likely get in trouble quick.

Over here, schools  and kindergarten are now closed but practically are still open if you can't find someone to take care of the kids (they call it emergency care but it is in the same buildings) what's likely the case for 80% of people since you are not supposed to leave them with grandparents. Supposedly, the emergency care is mainly for those who can't stop working, and they mean doctors, nurses etc but the reality is most people cannot stop to go to work. And the max time you can take a leave for emergency child issues is 3 days in most places. How do they not consider this? It'll probably lead to a lot of kids being shoved off onto some stay at home parents - how is that better than being in school?

Virtual classrooms are suggested but there are still families without computers (our direct neighbors avoid technology as much as they can for example), or at least computers good enough to work for such things, and the area where we are in has a really really bad connection, and those people who have satellite connections due to this can't necessarily pay the extra data transfer to have their kids stay online for hours of school.

And the self isolating advice...not everyone has relatives or friends or knows their neighbors who could help them. We, for example,don't know anyone here in the village we moved to well enough yet, but the old people next door, which we could hardly ask for help. We have supplies for a while luckily, because we don't go shopping too often anyway.

People also need to take care of their animals, especially with the farms around here or walking dogs. And their gardens and fields, especially now in spring. And there would not even be danger for people to keep going abut their business here because it is a small village and you normally don't meet many people but the rules would be very inflexible. I talked to my dad today, also in a village, and he said where he lives, a farmer and his family were asked to isolate due to one of them having returned from Italy recently, but they can't afford not to work their fields now so everyone knows they don't. No one will tell on them either.

They need to think of ways to reasonably support people and their animals and fields instead of just rushing into measures which leave out important issues.

Cities near rivers here are expecting a flood, to make matters more interesting. So because they are expecting to not have enough people next week, they have been putting dams into place already. Weird sight when there is not yet actually a flood happening.

Neighbors opposite our garden had a big work-and-party-after thing today. At least 50 people. I'm all out of facepalms.

katrinka
6 hours ago, Arania said:

People who makethe rules and recommendationslive in a dream world. 

Indeed. It's priviledge run amok.

I have to touch my face a lot because of the chronic goo in my eyes which is both painful and makes be almost blind at times. And it is hardly possible even for normal people not to touch their faces.

Exactly.
I can refrain from doing it when nothing is happening, but how do I not touch my face if there's something in my eye?
And the day to day stuff - moisturizer, makeup, etc, - nobody's said anything about that. 

They closed pet supply shops in Italy, so people can't feed their pets who can't or won't eat supermarket food anymore.

TBH, I avoid supermarket food like plague. I had a wonderful, lionhearted dog, a Chow mix, who would have been happy to lay down his life for me and the kids. And through much of his life, I was in a poverty wage job and fed supermarket food. 

He developed malignant melanoma at 13. The prognosis wasn't good, but I had it cut away. It came back - with a vengeance. 
I bought him a cheeseburger and a milkshake - which he refused - and took him in to "help him across the bridge." 

In other words, I signed my best friend's death warrant. Better for me to carry that guilt than to let him suffer.
Canine cancer is surreal in its badness. There's supports in place for us humans, but when it's "just a dog", everything is business as usual.

I keep his ashes. When I go, whatever they do with me - cremation, burial, it doesn't matter - those ashes need to go with me. I've informed my daughter of this.
I'll be dead and nothing will matter - but somehow, this does.
Bandit.jpg.660f78f012bbc6dd19db1d33d0e4f826.jpg

These days, I just do the best I can with my dogs and hope it doesn't end that way. This site is helpful https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com 

And yes - amazon is evil. but I get my dogs' food there.

I can recommend Victor - it's a four star kibble, and even though it's less expensive than Acana, Orijen, etc. (which have had recalls), it's good. One of my Shelties is prone to diarrhea, but he can eat Victor with no issues.

If it comes down to the nitty-gritty, I'll feed whatever kind of meat I can get, with brown rice and bits of whatever veggies they're willing to eat.

Anything is better than supermarket food like Beneful, etc.

One one of my forums, there is worry now about their cat dying because of this

Cats are obligate carnivores. 
In other words, the eat meat. Any kind of meat. 
I've seen ferals survive for years on doves, lizards, crickets and squirrels.

If anything breaks you can't buy new things because everything but pharmacy and supermarkets were forced to close. How does this make any sense? I'm really worried this will happen over here, too - with my tendency to break things or need things replaced out of the blue I'll likely get in trouble quick.

We'll have to improvise, I imagine. 
What kind of things are you talking about breaking?

Over here, schools  and kindergarten are now closed but practically are still open if you can't find someone to take care of the kids (they call it emergency care but it is in the same buildings) what's likely the case for 80% of people since you are not supposed to leave them with grandparents. Supposedly, the emergency care is mainly for those who can't stop working, and they mean doctors, nurses etc but the reality is most people cannot stop to go to work. And the max time you can take a leave for emergency child issues is 3 days in most places. How do they not consider this? It'll probably lead to a lot of kids being shoved off onto some stay at home parents - how is that better than being in school?

I know. There's a veneer of "caring", but they don't, really.

Virtual classrooms are suggested but there are still families without computers (our direct neighbors avoid technology as much as they can for example), or at least computers good enough to work for such things, and the area where we are in has a really really bad connection, and those people who have satellite connections due to this can't necessarily pay the extra data transfer to have their kids stay online for hours of school.

That's a big issue.
Privileged people make the rules, and they have no clue how regular people live. 

And the self isolating advice...not everyone has relatives or friends or knows their neighbors who could help them. We, for example,don't know anyone here in the village we moved to well enough yet, but the old people next door, which we could hardly ask for help. We have supplies for a while luckily, because we don't go shopping too often anyway.

Exactly. 
VERY few have the luxury of ditching work until the hot weather kicks in.  

People also need to take care of their animals, especially with the farms around here or walking dogs.

This. The work needs done, and the dogs need exercised.

And their gardens and fields, especially now in spring. And there would not even be danger for people to keep going abut their business here because it is a small village and you normally don't meet many people but the rules would be very inflexible. I talked to my dad today, also in a village, and he said where he lives, a farmer and his family were asked to isolate due to one of them having returned from Italy recently, but they can't afford not to work their fields now so everyone knows they don't. No one will tell on them either.

In that situation, I wouldn't tell, either. 
And that's horrible - because when your relationship with the people who are *allegedly* trying to contain the virus becomes oppositional, things can go to hell in a handbasket very quickly.And I'll bet dollars to donut holes those hell realm factory farms are still going full bore.

I'm all out of facepalms.

As am I.

Edited by katrinka
Milkeyedmender
18 hours ago, gregory said:

Are you self-isolating ? Are you being forced to work from home ? Are you missing your colleagues ? Your boss ? (yeah RIGHT...)

Whatever - come here and vent, tell silly stories and make coffee. Think of this thread as the tarot watercooler. (Or if your life is like my working life was - the washroom. All the best goss was in there...)

Don't be lonely. Have a cookie.

Hello all, 

I was feeling, SO desperate last night.  My husband has asthma and I've been trying to keep cool about it, but it's difficult.  We all have the option to work from home (approved on a case by case basis) but I feel guilty since I'm the lead in my department.  Luckily, I have an office job with no public contact...but still.

I did take some power back today and make my favorite herbal remedies.  Has anyone else practiced some self care like that?  I also got a very good spread tonight about the virus.

And that's it, my country is "in quarantine" with all non-essential shops now closed, what we understand.

Well, I deal with divination but it's a situation I never imagined.

Adapting, adapting...

Edited by Decan
katrinka
6 hours ago, moonglow said:

It’s Tylenol/acetaminophen for anyone else wondering.

Christ, I guess it's down to street drugs for us if we hurt bad enough. 
Oh, well. Hello, Janis.

katrinka
57 minutes ago, Decan said:

And that's it, my country is "in quarantine" with all non-essential shops now closed, what we understand.

I saw that! France is playing it smart. I wish we were!

57 minutes ago, Decan said:

Well, I deal with divination but it's a situation I never imagined.

Adapting, adapting...

Yeah, if I'd asked, the cards would have told me. 
But I didn't think to ask, what with all the BS and minimizing until recently.

2 hours ago, Milkeyedmender said:

Hello all, 

I was feeling, SO desperate last night.  My husband has asthma and I've been trying to keep cool about it, but it's difficult.  We all have the option to work from home (approved on a case by case basis) but I feel guilty since I'm the lead in my department.  Luckily, I have an office job with no public contact...but still.

I did take some power back today and make my favorite herbal remedies.  Has anyone else practiced some self care like that?  I also got a very good spread tonight about the virus.

Sorry to hear you were struggling. It is scary, even more do if you or loved ones are at a higher risk. And then every single time you watch some news you get reminded that the risks for vulnerable people are much higher. It's natural that tote upset. Sending hugs!

Don't feel bad working from home please, you are allowed to take up the offer to work from home. Even as lead of department. Especially if it is an office job, whoever needs you can phone off email or message any preferred way. Imagine the time you safe by not having to commute! 

Please feel free to share your herbal remedies. The only one i can think of is Inhaling chamomile tea steam. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.