gregory

Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

Decan
4 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

Nice fabric, @Decan! I am hoping to see, what you come up with 🙂

I should get around to hand- sow masks.......hmmmmm.....?Or maybe flirt and trade with you for some....?

a la' "make jewellery, will trade!"

Thanks for your support @Mi-Shell it is much appreciated (and I'm sure you are very skilled about handcrafting)!

Well, I zoomed on my piece of fabric, but I will have enough fabric to make 6 or 7 masks, likely no more, and between the time I will make them (by hand so it's long...) and the shipping towards Canada, I really hope you'll have masks for yourself before!! 🙂

stephanelli
5 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

@stephanelli:

Sorry to say, you are expecting a large Wale 🐳

😆😆😆 I'd better make room for it then!

Raggydoll
17 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

😆😆😆 I'd better make room for it then!

And once it arrives - pictures please? :batting-eyelashes:

stephanelli
27 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

And once it arrives - pictures please? :batting-eyelashes:

Of course! Although it might be a while!

Raggydoll
11 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

Of course! Although it might be a while!

I am patient! 😁

stephanelli
5 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I am patient! 😁

😆 You'll need to be!

DanielJUK

hope everyone is doing okay ❤️

found it much harder dealing with it in May, before I was just exhausted out by it all and found it hard to keep up with everything. But this month I had really strong crushing anxiety. I will be okay. I do want to find a practice in my life to calm down, I do meditation but then forget to do it and don't really see long term improvement but I decided my mission during these times is to find better coping strategies that work for me, like keeping up meditation and calming down, observing not reacting! If I can get into a regular practice of meditation during this, that is a success ✅

I am glad they have slightly relaxed the rules here and I can go further for walks in nature. I really need to walk in countryside for an escape from the city I have found out 🌳

I think I will always keep a balance on what I feel is safe to do and not get too close to people whilst there is still a risk, it's not over yet. I am hoping with time it gets easier, we found out how we can get of our lives back but also know how to avoid the virus.

gregory

DANIEL ! How lovely to see you !

DanielJUK

@gregory ❤️'s I will write you a PM when I have some energy, hope you are all keeping well as poss 🙂

I meant to post this the last time I was browsing through the thread but if it's useful to anyone, I like this face mask sewing page - https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/#face-mask-tutorial

But don't print the whole page like I did, it is a lot of pages, I should have just printed the mask pattern 🤣 My household have been making the simple ones with spare fabric but the more advanced ones use pipe cleaners for structure. Also you can just wear any simple scarf you have, you can go as basic as you like 🙂

gregory

I don't know why more people aren't using scarves (FLizarraga are you watching ? :rofl: )

I've made a few masks that are squarer than yours - and I shall now make some more with pleats as they will be less constricting. My HUGE issue is with my hearing aids. I shall have to add elastic over the top of my head - I have added one round the back but it slips. Over the ear elastics/ties are just not possible.

And nowhere local has elastic any more AT ALL. (I have some on order from Amazon now...)

Lady Butterfly
1 hour ago, gregory said:

II've made a few masks that are squarer than yours - and I shall now make some more with pleats as they will be less constricting. My HUGE issue is with my hearing aids. I shall have to add elastic over the top of my head - I have added one round the back but it slips. Over the ear elastics/ties are just not possible.

I don't know what your fit is like over the ear, but wondered if these might be a solution to the over ear issue for you...

DIY-Fabric-Face-Mask-Ear-Saver-Free-Sewing-Pattern-f2.thumb.jpg.16e2657672ec16f7e076f9c3119ab705.jpg

Link to tutorial is here.

katrinka

Here's an alternate solution, for anyone who likes wearing mid-60's style headbands:

gregory

I've tried solutions like that. The headband goes over the bloody aids...! (and the ones with buttons - it is still too close to the aids.) I have some hat elastic coming in the mail - that might do it.

katrinka
10 minutes ago, gregory said:

I've tried solutions like that. The headband goes over the bloody aids...! (and the ones with buttons - it is still too close to the aids.) I have some hat elastic coming in the mail - that might do it.

What happens if you wear the headband behind the ears? Like this 40's style, maybe (the victory roll is optional, of course.)

Capture.JPG.0697e6b6afc86a75799c7377d837b605.JPG

Even as horrible as this pandemic is, it's total luxury having the time and energy to do things as soon as I notice they need done.
I washed both dogs yesterday, did tons of brushing, too. Today I'll trim paw fur and that bit of leg below the hocks.
Here's Finnegan, looking very comfortable now.

finny.jpg.ac4fa71331aae6d307f8c27c372c8059.jpg

My waffle iron got a workout this morning:

00i.thumb.jpeg.bf7d6242062847f3f0b4c2d47560b072.jpeg

That's a cast iron waffle iron, and yes, it's on the stove. It was made in the 1920's and it shows no sign of wearing out. Much nicer than those things you have to plug in, that take up counter space, kill birds with teflon fumes, and decide to malfunction after you've made a bowl of batter, IMHO! (You can use the batter for pancakes, but still...)

It's the last waffle iron I'll ever need. If anyone decides to get one, make sure you get a low ring for stovetop use. (High rings are for the "eyes" on a wood stove.)

gregory

I like you, katrinka - but I can tell you have never worn a hearing aid. :rofl: 

Thanks for trying to help though ! I will be an over the top of the head elastic if the hat elastic doesn't work - but I THINK that just might. (It would help if I didn't also have to wear specs, but it's the aids that are the killer !)

katrinka
4 hours ago, gregory said:

I like you, katrinka - but I can tell you have never worn a hearing aid. :rofl: 

I haven't.
I've seen a lot of them and I had a mental picture of the standard ones that go in peoples' ears and have a part attached that hooks behind the ear. In theory, a headband shouldn't interfere if it's worn far enough back. But theory and practice are often two different things.
I'll defer to the person who actually wears them.(And glasses, too? Yeah, lets not burden the ears any further.)

4 hours ago, gregory said:

Thanks for trying to help though ! I will be an over the top of the head elastic if the hat elastic doesn't work - but I THINK that just might. (It would help if I didn't also have to wear specs, but it's the aids that are the killer !)

Hat elastic should work.
And keep an eye on nurses - they have to wear those things for long stretches, so they're getting creative.

https://nurse.org/articles/face-mask-ear-pain-relief/

geoxena
30 minutes ago, katrinka said:

And keep an eye on nurses - they have to wear those things for long stretches, so they're getting creative.

https://nurse.org/articles/face-mask-ear-pain-relief/

Oh, great link with good ideas.  And the nurse in the video for item #6 is wearing a hearing aid!

Raggydoll
8 hours ago, katrinka said:

What happens if you wear the headband behind the ears? Like this 40's style, maybe (the victory roll is optional, of course.)

Capture.JPG.0697e6b6afc86a75799c7377d837b605.JPG

Even as horrible as this pandemic is, it's total luxury having the time and energy to do things as soon as I notice they need done.
I washed both dogs yesterday, did tons of brushing, too. Today I'll trim paw fur and that bit of leg below the hocks.
Here's Finnegan, looking very comfortable now.

finny.jpg.ac4fa71331aae6d307f8c27c372c8059.jpg

My waffle iron got a workout this morning:

00i.thumb.jpeg.bf7d6242062847f3f0b4c2d47560b072.jpeg

That's a cast iron waffle iron, and yes, it's on the stove. It was made in the 1920's and it shows no sign of wearing out. Much nicer than those things you have to plug in, that take up counter space, kill birds with teflon fumes, and decide to malfunction after you've made a bowl of batter, IMHO! (You can use the batter for pancakes, but still...)

It's the last waffle iron I'll ever need. If anyone decides to get one, make sure you get a low ring for stovetop use. (High rings are for the "eyes" on a wood stove.)

That looks so tasty!! Cast iron makes for the best waffles and pancakes. Mmmmm 

Winnie The Pooh Reaction GIF

katrinka

It really does!
And I have a recipe for yeasted batter. I like it better than the baking powder kind. :bubble_bthumbsup:

gregory
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, geoxena said:

Oh, great link with good ideas.  And the nurse in the video for item #6 is wearing a hearing aid!

So she is ! I shall look into that ! Thanks. (the second head strap, the top one, is what I plan to add to mine if the hat elastic doesn't work out.) At least I don't have to wear it all day, though.

I just wish I had more hair to work with ! A pony tail would be perfect. But when I started with inch-long all over, no chance of that before hairdressers reopen here - IN THE AUTUMN god help me !

Edited by gregory

devin
Posted (edited)

I hope this isn't too crass..... One of the government spokespeople in my neck of the woods accidentally said 'vibrators' instead of 'respirators.' This is the remix. The dance clip is my president showing surprisingly good thigh and knee strength/mobility for a man his age.

Come to think of it, it could be a real vote winner.

Edited by devin

Raggydoll
8 minutes ago, devin said:

I hope this isn't too crass..... One of the government spokespeople in my neck of the woods accidentally said 'vibrators' instead of 'respirators.' This is the remix. The dance clip is my president showing surprisingly good thigh and knee strength/mobility for a man his age.

Come to think of it, it could be a real vote winner.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Love the remix! 

Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train

devin
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train

Is that Justin Trudeau?

And then, of course, there's this [there may be one nsfw word in the following]:

Edited by devin

katrinka
25 minutes ago, devin said:

And then, of course, there's this [there may be one nsfw word in the following]:

That's pretty bad. 😂

But I found something worse. MUCH worse.

Starlight
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, katrinka said:

That's pretty bad. 😂

But I found something worse. MUCH worse.

I'm pretty sure I saw something like this in a Chipmunks movie.... Road Chip or something....

Edited by Starlight