Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

23 minutes ago, gregory said:

Anyone else heard this one ?

Yes, this has been in Norwegian news too, reproduced from the German newspaper, welt.de.

Trump wants an exclusive license on the vaccine.

Nothing amazes me anymore about that man 👎👎👎  Maybe with the exception of all those who voted for him.

Edited by KaiNO
17 minutes ago, Rupicapra said:

According to CureVac they could have a vaccine ready in June/July.

I heard scientists on TV and for a vaccine one year isn't enough; actually they say that we won't have a vaccine in 2021, but if we have in June/July amazing of course!

kudos91

I think June/July for the experimental formulation to be tested on human. That mean 3-4 months before they know if it will work and then another 6-8 months minimum for production so 2021 for sure

10 minutes ago, kudos91 said:

I think June/July for the experimental formulation to be tested on human. That mean 3-4 months before they know if it will work and then another 6-8 months minimum for production so 2021 for sure

Thank you @kudos91 for more info on this and also that the dude is not the boss anymore 🙂

Selfcare measure for me for the next few days: limit my exposure to news. 

kudos91

Thanks to you guys that I know about Trump trying to snatch this, too. And considering the US already have their own vaccines ready for trial....

kudos91

well they have Moderna and Inovio which are specialized in this type of vaccine like Curevac. Actually Moderna was the first to came up with 1 possible candidate, then Curevac with another 2, and Innovio has 1 candidate. But I guess since we never know if a vaccine works or not, it it best to have all for yourself other than just 1 or 2

Or not: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/newborn-baby-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-london

And actually - people are even avoiding kissing their partners....

When I'm at home with my partner, we do have an awful lot of fun things to do that aren't sex. There is life beyond the bedroom.

6 hours ago, gregory said:

The UK is about to make ALL over 70s self-isolate for four months. And give the police powers to arrest us if they see us out there.

What about people needing to walk their dogs? People who need daily assistance? People who need to walk daily due to health issues? And depression setting in for old people living alone, and probably just in very small apartments, with all the additional health issues this will cause which will likely cause more deaths than the virus. Someone in the upper echelons has lost all their marbles. Before they are starting to try to imprison people in their own homes, it would be much better to make sure people walk the streets at a distance.

As for Trump and the vaccines, I hope karma strikes and gets him finally.

I like a lot of alone time and typically avoid crowded situations, anyway, so should fare well enough. I'm married and we have a little dog, so we three have each other. My husband still works outside the home and as long as we aren't sick, we can still go outside to walk the dog as much as want. Guess we'll see. No one that we know of has the COVID-19 here; however, I just read in the local paper that our mayor plans to declare a local state of emergency in our city, effective Monday at 8 a.m.

No-one can actually tell how many cases there are in any area without testing. Most people infected don't get very ill at all, and many will never know.

Walking the dogs - I gather you're pretty OK in the open air.

8 hours ago, Rupicapra said:

Exactly this Grandma. But people are too scared to go out and spend money. Which I have to admit I do kind of understand and you can't judge people for not wanting to go out out of fear they might come home and e.g. infect their unwell family member. It's just all shit really, the ones that get hit the worst are the vulnerable and poor people

7 hours ago, gregory said:

The poor will be hit worst because they are the least healthy. But sadly - Grandma - don't forget that MANY people are infected and will never know. By "going out and spending money" you could unwittingly  infect someone lower in the pecking order of health than you are yourself. We do actually need to do the social distancing thing.

Yes, I agree.  I think people should stay home too and I understand why some can't or won't.  My son and his family will be okay.  They aren't poor and vulnerable.  They have savings and are resourceful.  But many others don't and aren't.  With proper preparation, mitigating safety nets could have been established but helping the poor and vulnerable has never been high on the priority lists of people in charge here in the United States.

I'm not self isolating per se, but I'm staying in for the most part.  I do need a prescription refilled so I'll go out for that but I'll be careful.  Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not afraid of getting the virus, although I would rather not of  course.  I'm more concerned that I may be infected because I didn't take the simple precaution of washing my hands at the gym and at stores, and I don't want to spread the virus if I am.  I'm not panicking or even nervous but I can easily stay home so why not.  But the decision is not that easy for most people.

Here's a question - if after 14 days people leave self quarantine because they are healthy and the first person they come in contact receives a positive test result that very day, and the original self quarantined person must go back into quarantine, when will it end?  Kind of makes the idea of universal quarantine make sense. 

Exactly., Annoying though it is. Let me tell you a depressing story which makes me prepared to co-operate: a child at my grandson's school returned from a trip to Italy (not from one of the worst affected regions at that time) - 5 days before term was due to start. They contacted the school the day before it opened up and were asked to self-quarantine for 14 days. Which they did. They felt fine throughout. They then came back to school - we are now up to 19 days after the kid got back.

Three days later the kid felt unwell, tested and was positive. That's over three weeks from when they would have been infected - and they weren't even aware that they had been exposed.

We just do not understand this well enough to take any chances. Even if it will be depressing, annoying, financially catastrophic and the rest. (And just in case people say well gregory will be OK - yes, I'm lucky, I probably will, though I do worry about my partner's dodgy chest; if he's infected it may well do serious damage - but we are going to take a big financial hit as my partner won't be able to do the job he usually does every year.)

All most of you are doing is spreading paranoia. Here in good ol NYC where out of 8 million people, 178 or so are infected. 

People here are making babies. Take my word for it.

If it wasnt an election season here , it wouldn't be much news. 

kudos91

In case you you got in contact with someone infected after a period of quarantine I guess you will have to repeat again 14 days from the start

For sure they say 14 days for most of the case but even in 90% of the case there will be 10 percent of exception. In children since they are not fully developed the virus might take longer to multiply. Or the kid got in contact with someone without symptom after the trip. unfortunately we can never 100% sure...

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Eric said:

All most of you are doing is spreading paranoia. Here in good ol NYC where out of 8 million people, 178 or so are infected. 

It's not paranoia. It is not a good idea to breed anyway - the world is grossly overpopulated already.

And I hope you are kidding about the election year nonsense - because this is NOT an election thing, and it is not something to kid about. For the record, I used to work in Public Health, and I don't scare easily - I am not even panicking. But I am being BLOODY careful. As should you be. And you have NO idea how many people in NYC are infected - they haven't been testing. Your testing programme (such as it isn't) - is way behind that of any other country so far affected. Even the UK - which is pretty crap just now.

Don't be a silly boy, Eric.

Edited by gregory
Posted (edited)

It's not exactly a mass programme though,. Your Holy President says that isn't necessary. How many people in NYC have been tested to date ? Testing only started for most people TWO DAYS ago when they opened the drive in centres. They hope to get it up to 6000 tests a day. Hope to. There have been a mere 5,000 tests in the whole of the U.S. to date. So you have NO idea how many people would test positive. Lucky you to have had a test at all.

https://abc7ny.com/coronavirus-nyc-new-york-ny-news-update-cases-map/5989875/

Not to mention that sick people across the U.S. say they are being denied the test (New York Times) which isn't exactly great -  and that's people who are actually sick. And by the way - there are 329 people documented positive in NYC - 729  statewide.

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/ 

It's not something to pooh pooh, Eric.

Wait - and if it's a nothing election thing - why are you getting tested so often ?

Edited by gregory

Theres almost 30,000,000 people in New York state. 729 is poo-poo. There is testing being done. The news media in our country is far from a reliable source. People are out having fun, politicians are actually asking people to stay away from each other, people that are staying home are having good times together. Like I said, I've been out and even worked on my tan yesterday, and I've been checked twice, and if I go to that same location this week, I will be again. 

Life goes on. All we have to fear, us fear itself. 

Lucky you. If 30,000,000 people had been tested, I could buy into 729 being peanuts. When 5000 tests have been carried out country wide, you have no idea. Even if 50k tests had been done, you'd still have no idea.

I am not afraid. I am cautious. I neither want to contract the virus, nor do I want unwittingly to pass it on.

You do you. I hope you stay clear.

I hope you're right Eric, but I would have listened more to gregory.

On the latest statistics I saw, my country was the second most infected per capita. This, however, is not because we have more infected than in other countries, the numbers are lying because we have done many tests. Despite this, we also understood the seriousness of the infection too late.  

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid many countries are going to get into huge problems pretty soon. When people don't take this seriously then too many people will get sick at the same time and the health care systems aren't dimensioned to deal with this. By limiting human meeting points, you can spread the number of infected out over time and be able to handle it.

katrinka
1 hour ago, Eric said:

The "election season" angle: https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-trump-high-infection-rate-dent-reelection-report-2020-3
Trump PURPOSELY wasted a lot of time doing nothing and making out like this is no big deal. 

From the article:

"In the early weeks of the coronavirus outbreak in the US, President Donald Trump's main focus was on keeping the number of infections low, the Politico reporter Dan Diamond told NPR on Thursday.

• For that reason, Trump did not push to ensure adequate testing capabilities, Diamond said.
  • "The president had made clear: The lower the numbers on coronavirus, the better for the president, the better for his potential reelection this fall," Diamond said."

Listen, this is serious and shouldn't be taken lightly a d theres absolutely nothing wrong with being cautious and preventive. I'm sitting at home today, a nice day because I dont want to be around  people. But I myself have been in worse. Numbers will grow because they are testing here in America, I dont trust anything the media says especially now because it's an election season here, unfortunately, that's what we've degrated to. However, having seen wkrsemyself, I know that people panic. Panicking makes bad things unnecessarily worse. Relax, live life.