Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

OH bad luck. Sooner or later they will HAVE to give up on this and go for herd immunity. Our choir voted against going back to live rehearsals - even in a covid-safe church, 2m apart and masked. DRIPS. (I am OK without the social and use Zoom when desperate - book club works !) but singing is important to me :classic_sad: Zoom rehearsal;s just aren't the same.

I think they prepare us for a second lockdown. They tergiversate, "maybe, actually no but the cases increase so?" etc. but we probably won't avoid a second lockdown, I'm sure there will be contestings (there are already them regarding some restrictive measures because of course concerning economy it's bad...).

Edited by Decan
2 hours ago, gregory said:

OH bad luck. Sooner or later they will HAVE to give up on this and go for herd immunity. Our choir voted against going back to live rehearsals - even in a covid-safe church, 2m apart and masked. DRIPS. (I am OK without the social and use Zoom when desperate - book club works !) but singing is important to me :classic_sad: Zoom rehearsal;s just aren't the same.

They reckon immunity doesn't stick though.

I just feel grumpy today. The temperature has dropped and I don't like it - I feel the cold unfortunately and it's not cold enough for the heating to go on. I had a hot water bottle in work but have no idea if it's still there or if I brought it home and it disappeared during the great clothes moth extermination attempt part 1 (part 2 is coming up 😭). Not even a chunk of Toberlone has raised my spirits. Problem is I don't feel much like working today, I'd prefer to be curled up under a blanket, maybe with a cat under there for extra warmth and cuddles, reading a book. Maybe with a hot chocolate.

I daren't even get my lovely, warm, snuggily blanket out though as it's wool!

eta - Parcel arrived with new pyjamas and fluffy, warm socks. Wearing the socks and feeling a bit happier 😄

Edited by ilweran
26 minutes ago, gregory said:

Oh crap :classic_dry:

I know. My husband has a chronic health condition that makes him vulnerable (probably already said this) and we think we all had it in March, but looks like we can't relax. And of course our seven year old is back in school, one year group in his school has already had to self isolate.

Still much brighter and warmer today, the sun has come back, washing is on the line. I did have to shampoo my cats feet this morning, but that's becoming quite normal these days and I'm hoping that by giving her treats straight after she'll get happier about it...

I've been feeling fine with this for most of the time, but now I gotta admit I'm feeling quite low. It's the facemasks. When I first went back to work at the end of June we did not wear them much, apart from in the shops of course. However, now I'm wearing them from when I enter the building until I leave it again. What upsets me is that I can't see people smile. No facial expression, no emotion, no smile. And that really is beginning to drag me down. I love my job and my people there, but it's getting so difficult. On top the that the guy I hired as mat cover for my technician, who I spend the whole day in one room with, does not talk. Getting anything out of him is like squeezing water out of a stone! So I'm not even getting a masked chat! And the other clients are not allowed to stay anymore! Uh! One lovely client at the end of the day stayed for a wee chat, she was lonely as well. I told her my mask-issue and lovely her looked at me, took her mask off and put it away for the rest of our chat. That was the best thing that happened all week!

2 minutes ago, gregory said:

Smiles show in the eyes....

I know, but it's really not the same as a nice and open full face smile. Plus remember, we gotta be 2m away from each other, for me it is hard to see a twinkly smiley eye with my glasses balancing on the tip of my nose so that they don't get all fogged up. Uh! One more week and then I got a week off!

ANd Yes please, I take that hug 🙂 feels better already 🙂 thank you.

@Rupicapra I know what you mean.  As time goes on I've noticed more and more that people express themselves with their eyes.  Subtle movements of masks that I didn't notice at first are also indications of smiles and frowns.  I'm also learning to adjust my mask to minimize foggy glasses.  Hopefully your experience will be similar.

Love, Grandma 

image.png.c364b230881e9f08abb150fbed2f1869.png

Thank you @Grandma you made me smile.

I'll try! And I'll look out for twitching mask.

I got for my glasses silicone anti slip ear hooks, that way they can sit far on the tip of my nose and don't fog up, but also don't slip off my face, these things are amazing! That is at least one thing sorted. I just spoke to my sister in law on the phone, she told me that my two nephews had to wear facemasks all day at school for the first two weeks. He's 10, so not too little anymore, but still, it is his first year in Highschool with a lot of new people, it must have been worse for him, at least I know most of my coworkers.

Tomorrow I'll try and play some happy music, maybe that helps. 

sending love and hugs back to you. And everybody else in here who could do with a hug and some love 🙂

This evening we will have more info about the next step which will be (very probably) a partial new lockdown.

There is an important vagueness around this vaccine against the Covid, with conflicting statements from scientists themselves. There are people who say that they entertain the hope (and I can understand that) to don't wreck the economy, but the reality could be that things will be really long before we have something.

We just have inconsistent lunatics in charge. As the restrictions literally don't make sense, to the extent that local officials and the police can't make head or tail of them either, I am just being careful and hoping I don't get fined. I think common sense is the best way to go anyway. I wish there weren't some inconsiderate nuts around, is all.

On the plus side...we finally girded our loins to go wait for what we thought would be hours for our flu shots. There was no wait at all. We were in and out and back on the road (although we never left the Jeep) by 8:15 AM. And we had fun conversations with the three different staff people who worked with us. I thanked them all for being our heroes while we in effect cower at home. 

I happened to catch my favorite post office worker yesterday when I was delivering my load of ebay sales to the counter, We squeezed our eyes really hard showing how big we were smiling behind our masks. I simply cannot wait until I can hug people at random which is one of my most favorite things to do. 

2 minutes ago, Rupicapra said:

An gloomy news and predictions all over Europe this morning by the sound of it. Scientist and medics seem to urge for a second lockdown. Crap. 

Yes... but they played yoyo from the beginning and this didn't help anyone but brought confusion; at least in my country the communication on the Covid was a mess.

Even WHO does't believe in lockdowns any more - except short ones as a break to regroup.

I shall carry on being careful in my own sweet way. I am off to meet a friend for coffee - if anyone asks, she lives alone (she does) and is in my bubble.

The disheartening thing about this all is that no country has found the perfect solution. With their experience of SARS, the Asian countries have such low death rates and also countries like Vietnam, New Zealand and Australia and others really are managing this well. In Europe Italy has really got on top of it since the awful times they had in March / April. But those countries still have outbreaks and rising numbers, that is the disheartening thing. Italy has increasing numbers but really are managing it with a strong testing, tracking and tracing. But there is an outbreak with the Pope's guards in the Vatican and rising in Italy again.

I really don't think letting the virus run wild and herd immunity is the solution, just not enough have it in the herd in countries that have tried it and Sweden seems to have thousands of under 40 year olds now with 6 months or more long Covid. Herd immunity doesn't work if half your work force are unable to work due to post viral fatigue type symptoms. I had M.E / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as a teenager for 20 years and don't wish it on anyone! But then lock downs, we cannot be locked in our homes indefinitely, it will wreck the economy, mental health and physical heath. Lock downs are not a solution, they just buy time!

I have thought about this a lot and think the best approach from a non Dr / expert is we have to lock down to reduce numbers for 2 /3 weeks whatever it takes. It is going to happen sooner or later. Everything has to shut down and stay in our homes apart from essential things. I think you can persuade people of this if it's time limited. When numbers come down then we actually have to have a plan and strategy ahead in the UK. We need strong track and tracing, we need to be able to get a test easily and locally to us, maybe more walk in clinics as well as drive thru places. In South Korea they have 24 hour testing sites of both with 24 hour turnaround for results. If the govt wants to save jobs and the economy it has to throw whatever money at that core part, if private companies are useless and incompetent they are going to have to dump them. There are local NHS areas who have years of experience in public health, they have to have competence doing this. If they don't get the basics right we are going to be locking down for a long time over and over and over. We really do have to base everything on the science, people are going to pubs and then they see from track and testing it looks like they are spreading it there? close them and pay money to the businesses to keep them closed. I have no idea if bars and pubs spread it but for us to live as normal lives as we can, they have to look where outbreaks happen and deal with it. At the moment the tracing is too useless to know! I also think there is a really big problem with travelling around the UK and coming into the country. Australia got so strict (and been discussing this with Nisaba on Facebook recently) and you could not go from state to state without 2 week quarantine in a govt commandeered hotel. That is internally, as well as people arriving. I know so many people who have been on holiday and just walked back in through the airport and did not quarantine for 2 weeks. It's moving around with people. I hope here in the UK we can get on top of it but we are totally incompetent at dealing with it so far. We can live near normal lives if there are some really strict parts of it, like travelling anywhere, like testing and tracing. Enforcing mask wearing.

I think it's going to be a long time for a vaccine but I think a game changer will be easy home testing. Like imagine a diabetes type test or breathalyser or pregnancy type test, something maybe reusable and easy instant results. We could wake up in the morning and test before going to work / visiting Grandma / meeting friends at a pub. Knowing if we were negative or not would change everything. This is a bit of a negative post but I do have optimism, we are in such a different place than 7 months ago! There are more treatments for the seriously ill, there are masks and testing which we didn't really have going in March. We know more about it. But we are repeating all the mistakes of March and have learnt nothing.

Like gregory says we can only really be responsible for ourselves and do what we feel safe doing and think about the risk of everything.

Hi Daniel! 

A very good post ♥

Here in Canada the numbers are rising as well 😞

A lot is young people, having been to bars and restaurants - saying "I want to liv a normal life, I want to go out and party....."

"I also want to GET covid and get it over with, so I can resume a normal life." They profess, that they will NOT go see their parents, family members over 40 or people in high risk groups....

One such young person, soooo sure about what they were doing, died this morning in Toronto.....

It is sad and upsetting.

Here People ar also "hamstering" all kinds of things again. Yesterday at the grocer a woman just raked ALL the cookie boxes on the shelf into her over-full cart......

We also have some empty shelves - TP and PPE is rationed to 1 per customer again.....

Several medical experts on the radio talk about vaccines - but they caution, it will only be 50% effective.

What does that mean? I only get 50% Covid?

Or we have a 50% chance of being protected after vaccination? 

That is not enough - for me personally and it would not change my behaviour.

Many do not want the vaccine right away, want to first see, how sick people get after receiving it - side effect-wise, never mind if they then get C 19 after all.

We are all supposed to get our flue shot to not get both, but our flue vaccine ran out of doses after just 2 days with long line-ups.

What a mess......

Rona has been very good to me personally. I got the longest paid vacation ever last spring, and the unemployment at that time paid almost twice my job does. (And I have one of the few jobs in this area that pays enough to live on.) I had so much money, I could even replace some worn out furniture. I blew over a grand on a chest of drawers and a smaller chest (all solid wood, no veneer/particle board) and a new futon. If I needed something, I just bought it. It was like when I was little in the early 60's and things were booming. And I loved being at home, I had my dogs, the internet, movies and books for company. Everything was clean. It was GLORIOUS. But I recognized it for what it was: a primrose path, and a very short one, at that.

People were dying. Unnecessarily, and horribly, as they still are. So there was really nothing to celebrate.

And the bubble popped, as bubbles do, and I had to go back to work. Since masks have become mandatory there, the cases have gone down. Masks really DO help.

But the pandemic has become "normal". It's said that after about 3 weeks, a crisis doesn't feel like a crisis anymore. It feels normal. So the Rona is just one more thing out there to them, like colds and flu, and as soon as people  get outside at the end of the shift, they throw their masks away and pile into cars and pickups together. They only wear them on the clock because the policy says they have to. But playing fast and loose with this could spell being on a vent with an 11% chance of surviving. Not to mention the permanent damage that some people get.

We have no vaccine that's proven to be reasonably safe and effective, only lies.

IOW, it's not anywhere near over. Mask up. Welcome the restrictions, don't gripe.

This does not bode well.

Edited by katrinka
5 hours ago, katrinka said:

IOW, it's not anywhere near over. Mask up. Welcome the restrictions, don't gripe.

This does not bode well.

Exactly this. But I refuse to be driven mad by it. (Have psych history, NOT going there again thanks.) I WOULD rather catch it, to be honest. But I am scrupulous around other people.

12 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

I had M.E / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as a teenager for 20 years and don't wish it on anyone!

Me too. My husband took months to get over Covid, I've been watching him carefully. It's looking like he's ok longer term.

11 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

"I also want to GET covid and get it over with, so I can resume a normal life." They profess, that they will NOT go see their parents, family members over 40 or people in high risk groups....

One such young person, soooo sure about what they were doing, died this morning in Toronto.....

I hate this. We don't even know if long term immunity is a thing and the evidence seems to be pointing to it not...

2 hours ago, gregory said:

But I refuse to be driven mad by it.

I've been fine with many things, but I've still doubled the beta blockers for anxiety and fought off my GP's suggestion of anti-depressants. Was talking to a colleague and we agreed it was easier in the initial lockdown, we all knew what was what and the message from UK government -'Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives' - was unambiguous and clear. Since then it's been jumbled, unclear, contradictory advice with one rule for us and another for them and the rules changing constantly.

On the plus side I had a lovely walk yesterday and unselfishly supported several local shops 🧁📚, our baby snails are happy and my elderly cat is looking better on her special diet (and smug as slightly younger cat doesn't get special food).

Regarding the mask, it's not a problem for me. Actually since I sewed mine I'm even "happy" to wear them. But our situation here and there isn't happy of course.

In my country the tourism-related sector is important with a lot of people who are working directly or less directly in it; it's a disaster for hotels and restaurants for example, but not only.

Otherwise I just heard that yesterday a teacher was decapitated in the street. Oh my God!

I bought recently my new diary for 2021, and can't wait to let this year behind! But will 2021 be better? Hoping, since it's just what we can do!