Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

Johnson is determined to get all Uni students home for Christmas so that no-one can label him scrooge. Bringing any germs (not just Covid) back from their crowded residences - where it is not their fault if it spreads - there was a desperate student from one area with a cluster building, saying of course they were passing it around - they absolutely were not partying, but he lived in a student residence with 700 students - and - ONE LIFT.

It's sad to hear, as the rest of the world goes into winter that numbers are going up again. I'm sure everyone will be taking note and comparing the results from last year - looking for signs of improvement.

Today, for the first time in over 100 days (and our SECOND lockdown)… I was able to leave my 5km radius. A big deal for me as we have no friends or family in that bubble. We went for a walk in the botanical gardens for some exercise (masked up, as is the law), and enjoyed an overcast spring day. We still have a while to go before other restrictions ease, and I can imagine we'll be wearing masks for a long time yet. But it was nice to get a slice of freedom back, we really needed it.

They sent a guy I work with home Saturday night, they do that if you have two or more Covid symptoms. So we just sanitized everything and hoped for the best. But I saw his girlfriend last night (she works there too, in a different area) and she said he's better already and wants to come back to work. He has to wait for his test results before they let him, though. So I'm almost sure he doesn't have it. It's just some crud that's going around. 

The difference is that now everybody worries every time somebody gets sick, and headaches are a symptom, bodyaches, chills, fever, diarrhea, cough...literally everything. And we're heading into cold season. People are going to be stressing, worrying that everybody with a sniffle might have it.

I'm glad he's probably Ok though. He's one of the better people I work with.

Edited by katrinka

I am in the blessed and lucky country of Australia where we have had few cases than most of the developed world.  In fact, I live in Western Australia where we have had a "hard" border closure since April.  This has resulted in us not having any community transmission for around 4 months now.  It's almost back to normal.  Still I find myself missing the lockdown times where there was less to do and more time to rest and reflect.

3 hours ago, ilweran said:

Well Wales is back in full lockdown from 6pm Friday. For two weeks. Next week is half term, so it seems like sensible timing, though primary schools will be open as usual for the second week. Lets just hope it is enough to make a difference.

Yes, I heard that. If you are among the first locations to be back in full lockdown, you won't be the only ones in my opinion. Here I won't be surprised that things evolve that way too...

Europe is facing a second wave...

Well... the situation with the Covid in my country seems worse than in spring. Likely the virus has mutated (and apparently several times according to scientists) so a possible vaccine isn't for tomorrow! Long term problem unfortunately I guess. I wear disposable masks now, not anymore in fabric.

They said and did anything, didn't learn from their mistakes and so on (too much lax otherwise). It's really possible that we'll still be with a lockdown for Christmas, with all the consequences on our economy. In addition we are facing major issues with terrorism!

ETA: otherwise you will probably be shocked but I heard that there are people who refuse to wear a mask in medical waiting rooms (or in pharmacies, which is against the law!), but they let them do (too often), because the problem is repetitive and they don't want to be attacked.

Edited by Decan
1 hour ago, Decan said:

ETA: otherwise you will probably be shocked but I heard that there are people who refuse to wear a mask in medical waiting rooms (or in pharmacies, which is against the law!), but they let them do (too often), because the problem is repetitive and they don't want to be attacked.

I'm not surprised at all, though I'd hoped the French were smarter than that. It's common in the US, and there's videos galore of maskless store customers fighting with the help over it, screaming, coughing on people. They seem to think it's political and "their side" doesn't buy the "hoax" of COVID 19, and they are exercising their "freedom" and their "rights". But there is nothing political about wearing a mask in a pandemic. If they can wear a seatbelt they can mask up.

2 hours ago, katrinka said:

I'm not surprised at all, though I'd hoped the French were smarter than that. It's common in the US, and there's videos galore of maskless store customers fighting with the help over it, screaming, coughing on people. They seem to think it's political and "their side" doesn't buy the "hoax" of COVID 19, and they are exercising their "freedom" and their "rights". But there is nothing political about wearing a mask in a pandemic. If they can wear a seatbelt they can mask up.

Hmm, not all are smarter than that unfortunately.

Actually it's quite the same but at a much lower level. In the US things look often extreme from what I can see, but violence is increasing here too.

Locally there seems to be very high compliance with mask wearing, I've not seen anyone in a shop without a mask.

We've just come out of our two week firebreak lockdown, I guess we'll see if it helped soon.

I seem to be developing collage as a new hobby and trying to get my son into it as an alternative to the tv. He has watched far too much television this year!

I have hardly seen anyone up here maskless. But when I was in the London area - I was appalled. I thought my sister was being silly when she mentioned how few people in her supermarket wore them She actually wasn't exaggerating. And the offenders were mostly young and middle ages adults. ALL the youngsters were almost religious in their observance,.

They wear them in the stores here, but they walk around with their noses hanging out so there's really no point. 
Texas. Yee haw.  🐮 😭

On my side I think a majority of people is responsible with masks (it's what I hope too), but a minority of irresponsible people can create troubles when it's repetitive. Well, my doctor said "they will see when they will be in intensive care", and yes...

Many people have said that if you won't wear a mask, you shouldn't have access to hospitals...

I am REALLY pissed about the mass anti-mask demos - as in Manchester yesterday - and that was anti-lockdown as well as anti-mask; there I kind of agree with them - - but no masks visible, no distancing.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

They wear them in the stores here, but they walk around with their noses hanging out so there's really no point. 
Texas. Yee haw.  🐮 😭

There are a few of those here, but most people seem to have got the idea.

The not seeing my husbands family is wearing me down now, we've not seen them since Christmas, when our newest niece was a few weeks old. And all the rest of our nieces and nephews will be a year older. And of course they won't have seen our son.

I'm supposed to be working so I'd better go do something useful. This last week I've really lost my motivation, I would prefer to do the nice things I want to do rather than the work stuff that reminds me of the current situation.