Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

2 hours ago, Grandma said:

Oh my god my granddaughter just messaged me that her two youngest children, ages four and six, have been exposed to Covid at their dad's house.  She is having trouble making him understand that they cannot come home where they might expose her, their older sister, and my granddaughter's boyfriend, that they have to quarantine with him at least until they are tested and test negative please god.

They live in Houston.  They stay part time with her and part time with their dad and his extended family.  One of his brothers just tested positive.

Meanwhile my ex husband is probably dying, not of Covid though.  I'm his POA for Health Care.  I talked to the doctor who is treating Grandpa's pneumonia in the hospital.  I asked him if the procedure they are doing for the second time tonight does not work, are we still looking at a reasonable expectation of recovery or is it time to talk about stopping treatment.  He said if the procedure does not help we will revisit the question.  

I am worn out.

Oh Grandma, I don't know what to say to make you feel just a little bit better, but we're here for you and I really really hope there's good news for you soon ❤️

3 hours ago, Grandma said:

Oh my god my granddaughter just messaged me that her two youngest children, ages four and six, have been exposed to Covid at their dad's house.  She is having trouble making him understand that they cannot come home where they might expose her, their older sister, and my granddaughter's boyfriend, that they have to quarantine with him at least until they are tested and test negative please god.

They live in Houston.  They stay part time with her and part time with their dad and his extended family.  One of his brothers just tested positive.

It only takes a matter of days to get test results back. When I was tested in June it could take up to 2 weeks, but I hear it's a lot faster now. And he can't keep them for a few days, even with extended family there to help out? 

Thank you @Raggydoll, @Rupicapra, @gregory, @stephanelli, @ilweran, @Saturn Celeste, @Ekati - did I miss anyone?  It helps so much to have people who care.

I talked with my granddaughter for an hour today.  Her oldest daughter is staying with a friend while the two little ones are back home, quarantined.  She'll have them tested tomorrow.  I helped her deal with her stress and she helped me deal with mine.  We love each other so much!

1 minute ago, Rupicapra said:

Phew, one worry less for @Grandma.

Fingers crossed for you now @ilweran

Thank you!

Also had notification today of a possible issue with our new cooker (less than two months old) that means we can't use the oven until an engineer has been out to swap a part. Obviously they can't come out unless we're clear of Covid, so crossing even more fingers now. I was going to make macaroni cheese tonight as well, and that would have been a couple of easy evening meals. We've stocked up on things we can make in the oven - ingredients for things like lasagne and pasta bakes and now can't go to the shops to get anything else. Oh well, at least we have do have food, even if I'm going to have to think of different things to do with it!

NveryB - you only have to accept one repair; then they have to replace. Sale of Goods Act.

Can you use the grill ? I have often done mac and cheese on the stove top, grated cheese all over it and browned it under the grill.

you can bake in a double boiler too although you don't get those nice crispy edges. I once had a customer who had a Long commute, so he built some kind of contraption that set in his truck engine compartment and it cooked his meal while he was driving 😉  

On a related issue..things that don't work as expected. My Kindle came. My internet connection is so unsteady I can't get it to recognize my WI-FI. So I can't get it to hook up to Amazon and get my books loaded.  Ain't that a kick. I have to drive to portland today, so I'll take my WI-Fi brain thing and sit by the side of the highway and do it. That is the master plan anyway, please.

8 hours ago, gregory said:

NveryB - you only have to accept one repair; then they have to replace. Sale of Goods Act.

Can you use the grill ? I have often done mac and cheese on the stove top, grated cheese all over it and browned it under the grill.

I can use the grill as it's electric, I did consider that. We're still getting the hang of the grill though! That might sound odd, but we've had years of an eye level gas grill with different settings, now we have a below hob level electric grill with no different settings except moving the grill pan up and down. We've had some rather overcooked food out of it 😂 Might just have to kneel and watch it. With a glass of wine in hand, obviously...

The repair, or replacement part, (they accidently put in a part meant for the all electric version) seems straightforward, and they were lovely on the phone so fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

6 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

you can bake in a double boiler too although you don't get those nice crispy edges. I once had a customer who had a Long commute, so he built some kind of contraption that set in his truck engine compartment and it cooked his meal while he was driving 😉  

On a related issue..things that don't work as expected. My Kindle came. My internet connection is so unsteady I can't get it to recognize my WI-FI. So I can't get it to hook up to Amazon and get my books loaded.  Ain't that a kick. I have to drive to portland today, so I'll take my WI-Fi brain thing and sit by the side of the highway and do it. That is the master plan anyway, please.

Now that would be worse than no oven for a week or so. I can put up with odd meals, but no books? Never.

And speaking of books, I was rather sad to learn that the author Storm Constantine has died recently. She was also connected to the Fellowship of Isis having founded The Lady of the Flame Iseum. I read her Grigori trilogy a long time ago as well as a few of her other books.

DownUnderNZer

I know I have been on this thread some months back.

But...

I still am not lonely nor impacted like some have been, but do empathize with those that  are really struggling.

It isn't an easy time at all and some countries are worse off than others - very very difficult times.

I have known friends that have had it in their families and circles (globally) and only one almost died - he still suffers from the post effects of it months on.

For some, lockdown can be quite Psychological and isolated and it isn't like anyone wrote a book about how to live and cope with a Covid19 lockdown.

I, personally, don't mind the isolation, but I do know others that do and everyone is different.

Hope everyone finds the inner strength to do what it takes plus try to make the best of the situation.

It is what it is...

DND 🌞

Health Yoga GIF

Edited by DownUnderNZer
Adding GIF Image

I feel rough today, one of our cats is very ill. We're not sure what with as we turned down the diagnostic tests for the moment to see if he'll perk up a bit with special food and painkillers, but we're probably going to have to make some sort of decision on Monday. He's 17 so no spring chicken and that sways me to choose the path which causes him least distress.

Not really very Covid related, except of course that we can't go into the vets with him and a lot of decisions have to be made over the phone, which just adds to the awfulness.

37 minutes ago, ilweran said:

Not really very Covid related, except of course that we can't go into the vets with him and a lot of decisions have to be made over the phone, which just adds to the awfulness.

I get mixed messages at my vet regarding COVID policy. They called me into the room with my dog in order for him to be weighed, but then they took him into another room to chip him and give him his annual innoculations. 

But it never occurred to me that they might not let people sit with their pets during euthanasia. That's horrible and cruel, for the animals who may well be scared, and for the guilt the owners would experience. Maybe you could talk them into it? When people have COVID, they shed virus all over their pets anyway. So keeping people out of the room doesn't really prevent anything. Or just find another vet, or better still, one of those mobile units that comes to your house, if you have those where you live.

I hope the cat rallies and gets another good year or two at least.

Thank you. We'll have to see what happens tonight, tomorrow and Monday. He's eating the special food, with something approaching enthusiasm, but apart from that is showing little interest in anything. I've brought him downstairs to keep an eye on him now my son is in need. He just stays where I put him.

I hadn't thought about not being allowed in at the end if that's what it comes to. I know some vets have allowed it and some haven't. I don't think anyone would do a home visit atm and going elsewhere, my lovely boy hates car journeys so much!