Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

Posted (edited)

What the hell have you "been through" that was worse, Eric ?

And no-one here is doing what you call panicking. I certainly am not. But where we hear something worth knowing, we pass it on.

Edited by gregory
katrinka

In other words, in the early stages when there was a possibility of containing this virus, Trump made sure there wouldn't be adequate testing because he thought confirmed cases might make him look bad. He wanted the numbers to look low. That's why the US is in this mess. A LOT of people are going to get sick. A percentage of those people will die. Things are having to shut down, the economy is getting wrecked, the market took a big nosedive the other day. 

EVERYBODY is going to be affected by this, even the few who manage not to get sick.

Nobody posting here is panicking. No one here is out buying pallets of toilet paper or anything like that. What you're seeing here is a rational response to a threat. 

11 minutes ago, Eric said:

I dont trust anything the media says especially now because it's an election season here, unfortunately, that's what we've degrated to.

"The media" is not a single, unified entity that sits around scheming on how to scare people. There are reputable sources and disreputable ones. 
Learn to fact check.

Edited by katrinka
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, katrinka said:

In other words, in the early stages when there was a possibility of containing this virus, Trump made sure there wouldn't be adequate testing because he thought confirmed cases might make him look bad. He wanted the numbers to look low. That's why the US is in this mess. A LOT of people are going to get sick. A percentage of those people will die. Things are having to shut down, the economy is getting wrecked, the market took a big nosedive the other day. 

EVERYBODY is going to be affected by this, even the few who manage not to get sick.

Nobody posting here is panicking. No one here is out buying pallets of toilet paper or anything like that. What you're seeing here is a rational response to a threat. 

"The media" is not a single, unified entity that sits around scheming on how to scare people. There are reputable sources and disreputable ones. 
Learn to fact check.

This, exactly.

Edited by gregory
katrinka
9 minutes ago, Eric said:

Theres things in this world much worse than this. In 54 years, I experienced some things, with some fine British men by side too. 

Just dont eat any ant eaters and everything will be fine. 

Over and out. 

You went through the Great Plague of London? You don't seem that old. 🙄

Sorry, not buying that. On an individual basis, yeah - I've also had much worse days than these recent ones where the big problem so far is just the knowledge that things are about to get really bad. But collectively, we've never seen anything on this scale. Sure, there was AIDS, but AIDS is a lot harder to catch. We never expected to deal with a pandemic. That was something people dealt with before modern medicine. It was something we thought about when we wandered around old cemeteries and saw a lot of graves with the same year of death, or watched a documentary about the Spanish Flu. 

And it will get very bad for individuals. I posted this link a few pages back and cautioned sensitive people not to watch it, but I think you NEED to. Read the article and watch the video. What do you do when you're isolated with a dying person and no one can come help? What do you do when they die and you can't even get a funeral home to come get the body? This happened. It's not "fake news" just because you don't like it. https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/italian-actor-luca-franzese-pleads-for-help-in-video-showing-dead-sister/

And now Austria banned gatherings with more than 5 people. What,pray tell, are large families to do?

Enforcing this seems nigh impossible.

katrinka

A little bit of good news for pet owners: https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/coronavirus-pets/

From the article:

"The World Health Organization currently advises that there is NO evidence to suggest that dogs or cats can be infected with the new coronavirus.

"If experts believe it is unlikely for a dog to get COVID-19, how did a dog test “positive” in Hong Kong?

"This canine patient was in close contact with an infected human, who was likely shedding large quantities of the virus. This led to the virus being in the dog’s nose. There is no indication that the dog is sick or showing any symptoms...In short, there was coronavirus on the dog just like there was coronavirus on the floor in the room but the dog was not infected or diseased.

"Yes. It is possible that a person with COVID-19 could sneeze or otherwise contaminate their pet, and then another individual could touch that animal and contract the disease. Veterinary experts believe the risk for transmission would be low. However, animals living with sick individuals should be kept away from other people and animals (quarantined at home), just as people who live with sick individuals must avoid contact with others"

katrinka
9 minutes ago, Arania said:

And now Austria banned gatherings with more than 5 people. What,pray tell, are large families to do?

It looks like they're talking about public gatherings. 
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-15/austria-clamps-down-on-public-life-as-coronavirus-cases-soar
Large families who live together won't have to put anyone out. That would be counterproductive. Best for all of them to stay in if one falls ill.

Edited by katrinka
5 minutes ago, Arania said:

A family is not a gathering. A gathering is when a group of people who are not normally in the same home get together. A party with three guests would be a small gathering. A family of 8 (as long as they live in the same house) is not. 

I just thought of something.  Say I grocery shop and immediately wash my hands.  Don't I still have to wash every item in my bags, and the bags themselves, and then wash my hands again?  And no @Eric I am not paranoid and I'm insulted at the suggestion.  I'm trying to think through this whole new phenomenon logically.  If we should wash our hands because the cans we touched may have been contaminated, which I agree we should, and we may have brought some of those cans home with us, then doesn't my question make sense?

And congratulations Eric for having survived worse things than Covid-19, which you still haven't told us what they are.  And out of 5000 tests performed in this country, how special are you to have been given two of them with two more lined up!

I know exactly what you mean, Grandma.

I am taking the view that as the virus cannot survive on surfaces for longer than 72 hours (less on many surfaces) as long as I deal with the frozen foods, the rest can sit there for 72 hours before I put it away.

Ah that makes more sense. Just how anyone would know whether it is a family or a group of other people,especially with many children.

Ah, @53rdspirit, but @Eric was in NYC where the temperature rose to a high of 55 at noon.  I'm sure the beaches and rooftops were crowded with sunbathers.  Is it unfair that we are all dubious of things Eric has said?  Hard to say . . . no I just reread his posts and it's not unfair at all.  

26 minutes ago, Grandma said:

I just thought of something.  Say I grocery shop and immediately wash my hands.  Don't I still have to wash every item in my bags, and the bags themselves, and then wash my hands again?

I was wondering about that. Our bags are our own, no one else touches them. The cans etc, I take those from far behind in the shelves if possible. And I do not plan to buy unpacked fruits or veggies anymore, and am thinking about removing the packaging with gloves on.

2 minutes ago, Arania said:

I was wondering about that. Our bags are our own, no one else touches them. The cans etc, I take those from far behind in the shelves if possible. And I do not plan to buy unpacked fruits or veggies anymore, and am thinking about removing the packaging with gloves on.

But who put the cans on the shelf.... (Not that I am taking it that far.)

Your bags will have touched everything that you put in them, though.

And the bags are on the counter while we or a store employee bags the groceries.  How far are we supposed to take this?  I'm asking seriously because nobody seems to know.  I'm not about to start licking counters nor am I going to shop in a Hazmat suit, but where on the continuum is the reasonable place to settle?

gregory, starting this thread was brilliant. Thank you!

I decided to do it when someone suggested resurrecting the chatbox to keep in touch. I HATE the chatbox !

I think use common sense, Grandma. I think you have plenty. We grannies are good at that.

Buy your stuff. Put it in the car. Wash your hands thoroughly (sing Happy Birthday twice, they say). Take it home. Put it away. Wash your hands. Probably it will be 72 hours before you need to touch most of it again. That's supposed to be the longest the virus survives on surfaces. Less on fabric, I believe, though I'd have to look that up.

By the way - keep your mouth and throat moist - drink some water every 15 minutes or so. Nor a huge lot; you don't want to be peeing all day - but enough to keep your mouth and throat from drying out.

No,the bags will never even be in the market. They wait in the car for us to be loaded except for the freezer bag, and even those will stay in the cart, no employee would ever dare touch them. The workers already wear gloves since days btw. I'm only worried about other shoppers.

Due to my diabetes meds I have to drink an awful lot, which means I have to pee almost everywhere there is a bathroom. That means i wash my hands a lot more than most people,anyway, however, the unsanitary state of the washing basins is worrying. For most, you have to turn a button which means unless you use a tissue you'll be unclean again after closing it.

The good thing is, ever since swine flu, basically every bathroom also has disinfectant, and they are also at the entrances to the bigger markets for years now. Just that people used to be reluctant to use them unless it was flu season.

katrinka
1 hour ago, Grandma said:

And the bags are on the counter while we or a store employee bags the groceries.  How far are we supposed to take this?  I'm asking seriously because nobody seems to know.  I'm not about to start licking counters nor am I going to shop in a Hazmat suit, but where on the continuum is the reasonable place to settle?

Delivery is the way to go, but of course even then, people are touching your food and bags.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-how-get-food-safely/608008/

"The danger of the delivery interaction, meanwhile, depends on how it’s orchestrated. For the food’s recipient, the risk is relatively low, Morse said: “There can be transmission through contaminated inanimate objects, but we think the most important route of transmission is respiratory droplets,” which spread when someone coughs, sneezes, or even breathes in close proximity to others. As always, wash your hands before you eat. (If you’re worried about other kinds of deliveries—mail or online-shopping orders, for example—they’re also relatively unlikely to transmit the virus, but you should still wash your hands after opening them.)"

Just do the best you can and try not to worry too much, in other words. Not very precise, I know, but it's what we know so far

1 hour ago, gregory said:

Buy your stuff. Put it in the car. Wash your hands thoroughly (sing Happy Birthday twice, they say). Take it home. Put it away. Wash your hands. Probably it will be 72 hours before you need to touch most of it again. That's supposed to be the longest the virus survives on surfaces. Less on fabric, I believe, though I'd have to look that up.

Yes, like this..

The virus seems to live longest on hard surfaces like metal. So if you use canned goods, things in glass jars, etc. it wouldn't hurt to disinfect them before opening even if you've had them awhile. Just to be on the safe side.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/14/811609026/the-new-coronavirus-can-live-on-surfaces-for-2-3-days-heres-how-to-clean-them

1 hour ago, Grandma said:

Is it unfair that we are all dubious of things Eric has said?  Hard to say . . . no I just reread his posts and it's not unfair at all. 

I concur. 
We rely on truth, even in the best of times. And this certainly isn't the best of times. We all have a certain moral obligation to be as honest and discerning as possible with this pandemic going on. Even if it's something seemingly unrelated, like tanning. It's important to maintain credibility, because we may have something important to say at some point that needs to be taken seriously.

Edited by katrinka
Mi-Shell

Hi guys. 

I have been guided to this thread by a member of our Luna Group.

😞

I am home alone.

Peter is in Germany to visit his brothers and see his mom who is in stage 3 of Alzheimers and VERY confused. She is 92 and has other health problems and does not believe, she is sick at all...... Well you all know what that is like....

In Germany until a few days ago nobody took any precautions , everyone thinks this virus is "just another flue"

Peter was not aware, what is going on and thought I am lonely and over-reacting, until today, when he went onto the internet and saw the numbers and what mess is going on in Italy and the US.

Here in Canada we have over 300 cases.

Our prime minister Trudeau is in quarantine  and his wife Sophie are sick.

Schools are all closed until April 6. 

All large gatherings are canceled.

Our free but totalllly overburdened health care system is trying to prepare for what is to come.  It runs on 120% = over capacity and to see a doctor in the Emergency room may take 18 hour waiting time.....

People are stealing  ventilators form one hospital , claiming they will go to do maintenance with them and tried to put them onto a plane bound for a rich a-hoooole in California.....

Our local hospital has only 2 ventilators and they will allocate them to not who is sickest but to younger people they can save.

This is WHO epidemic triage.

I know, what that is I worked in epidemics for a while and had to triage people myself - it is aaaaawfulll.......

I hope Peter makes it home - without a virus in his system. 

He is supposed to arrive tomorrow night and will have to go into "voluntary isolation for 2 weeks. So,

I am expected to gather supplies for 2 weeks, if he comes here.

I will not hoard any toilet paper, there is none in the stores anyway.

It will be tricky to find anything on the empty shelves.

Lots of the cottage owners have decided to get out of Toronto and come up here to "Wait it out"

But they emptied out all the stores.....

A friend of mine wanted to go out and buy some stuff for her family of 5 but had no money to do that - I borrowed her some, but the shelves are empty......

Milkeyedmender
19 hours ago, Rupicapra said:

Sorry to hear you were struggling. It is scary, even more do if you or loved ones are at a higher risk. And then every single time you watch some news you get reminded that the risks for vulnerable people are much higher. It's natural that tote upset. Sending hugs!

Don't feel bad working from home please, you are allowed to take up the offer to work from home. Even as lead of department. Especially if it is an office job, whoever needs you can phone off email or message any preferred way. Imagine the time you safe by not having to commute! 

Please feel free to share your herbal remedies. The only one i can think of is Inhaling chamomile tea steam. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

Thank you for this! Sometimes we all need someone to tell us it's ok to take what's offered.  

Herbal remedies! My favorite:

I made Rosemary Gladstar's onion cough syrup.  Very simple, cut a big white onion into half moons.  Cover with honey (good raw honey) and put in a crock pot on low or the stove on low.  You can add garlic, cinnamon, mullein....ginger...anything you want.  Then let cool bottle and keep in fridge.  

I also made a batch of fire cider (apple cider vinegar infused with horseradish, ginger, garlic, onions, cloves, cinnamon, honey).  It's a very strong immune tonic.  

And we have the ingredients for elderberry syrup being shipped.  I aways go back to my crunchy roots when things get iffy.  

Hugs back to you.  Thanks for the encouragement.