Jump to content

Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?


Recommended Posts

katrinka
4 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

Here in Canada we have over 300 cases.

Our prime minister Trudeau is in quarantine  and his wife Sophie are sick.

I saw that. 
I hope it isn't too severe. I like Trudeau. I wish we had someone like him running things here.

4 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

People are stealing  ventilators form one hospital , claiming they will go to do maintenance with them and tried to put them onto a plane bound for a rich a-hoooole in California.....

That's disgusting. Hopefully they were caught? 

4 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

I hope Peter makes it home - without a virus in his system. 

Keeping a good thought.

4 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

He is supposed to arrive tomorrow night and will have to go into "voluntary isolation for 2 weeks. So,

I am expected to gather supplies for 2 weeks, if he comes here.

I will not hoard any toilet paper, there is none in the stores anyway.

It will be tricky to find anything on the empty shelves.

Lots of the cottage owners have decided to get out of Toronto and come up here to "Wait it out"

But they emptied out all the stores.....

A friend of mine wanted to go out and buy some stuff for her family of 5 but had no money to do that - I borrowed her some, but the shelves are empty......

Do you have Prime? Amazon has a lot of nonperishable food items like dried beans, rice, pasta and flour, and your order usually shows up in a day or so.
And yes - they even have toilet paper: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=toilet+paper&ref=nb_sb_noss
I know they're not the most ethical business and a lot of us don't like using them, but these are extenuating circumstances.

Or you may find another, better website. Online is the way to go anyway. Brick and mortar supermarkets get an insane amount of traffic.
Good luck.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Milkeyedmender said:

I made Rosemary Gladstar's onion cough syrup.  Very simple, cut a big white onion into half moons.  Cover with honey (good raw honey) and put in a crock pot on low or the stove on low.  You can add garlic, cinnamon, mullein....ginger...anything you want.  Then let cool bottle and keep in fridge.  

 

I also made a batch of fire cider (apple cider vinegar infused with horseradish, ginger, garlic, onions, cloves, cinnamon, honey).  It's a very strong immune tonic.  

I have plenty of blackberry vinegar - also wonderfully disinfecting. I use it when I feel a cold coming on and it usually stops it in its tracks.

 

A friend of mine used to make that onion syrup - but with black treacle. It was truly horrible.

9 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

I am home alone.

Peter is in Germany to visit his brothers and see his mom who is in stage 3 of Alzheimers and VERY confused. She is 92 and has other health problems and does not believe, she is sick at all...... Well you all know what that is like....

I am assuming my mother's care home will be banning visitors very soon. She is 100 and very confused as well (but actually does not have dementia). What she believes is that she is under surveillance and there is mass eviction of Jews from Europe underway. None of us can work out where that one started.... But she told my sister (who she also believes is dead, having been slaughtered in India, where she went to take art classes.... - and no, by the way; she hasn't been abroad in 50 years !) to get out or she would throw herself out of the window the other day. Not that she moves so you'd notice, but still. We are actually starting to wonder what happens if she dies - we are to stay home all the time, as we are all over 70; the nearest any of us is to her is 50 miles - and the rules about registering a death are complicated. For the first time in ages I am hoping she doesn't die soon ! I don't even know what they are doing about burials (she doesn't want a funeral so at least that won't be an issue.)

 

Quote

In Germany until a few days ago nobody took any precautions , everyone thinks this virus is "just another flue"

Peter was not aware, what is going on and thought I am lonely and over-reacting, until today, when he went onto the internet and saw the numbers and what mess is going on in Italy and the US.

 

This is WHO epidemic triage.

I know, what that is I worked in epidemics for a while and had to triage people myself - it is aaaaawfulll.......

 

I hope Peter makes it home - without a virus in his system. 

He is supposed to arrive tomorrow night and will have to go into "voluntary isolation for 2 weeks. So,

I am expected to gather supplies for 2 weeks, if he comes here.

I will not hoard any toilet paper, there is none in the stores anyway.

It will be tricky to find anything on the empty shelves.

Lots of the cottage owners have decided to get out of Toronto and come up here to "Wait it out"

But they emptied out all the stores.....

A friend of mine wanted to go out and buy some stuff for her family of 5 but had no money to do that - I borrowed her some, but the shelves are empty......

People in other areas have been told by stores that they are getting regular deliveries, and to go in first thing in the morning, before the panicky hoarders show up. Mr G (who is in Canada for another two weeks) is not finding many empty shelves much where he is. I think your living in cottage country doesn't help though.

 

In the UK, I buy my toilet rolls on line from an office supply store. As it happens it is the cheapest place to get the totally biodegradable ones we prefer - so at least that isn't an issue. And yes - Grand and Toy sell it on line:

https://www.grandandtoy.com/EN/search/pages/browse/Toilet-Paper/_/N-dy1

 

I'd self-isolate for more than 14 days, though, Mi-Shell. At my grandson's school there is a child who had been to Italy - before it had taken hold there big time, and not to Liguria - and got back 5 days before school was supposed to start. The day before they were due back, the parents phoned to ask for advice and the school asked that the child stay home for 14 days. They did. After that, all was well, and the child returned to school. Three days later, they felt ill, and tested positive. That's a total of three weeks from when the infection must have happened. The 14 days thing doesn't hold up.

 

4 hours ago, katrinka said:

Do you have Prime? Amazon has a lot of nonperishable food items like dried beans, rice, pasta and flour, and your order usually shows up in a day or so.
And yes - they even have toilet paper: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=toilet+paper&ref=nb_sb_noss
I know they're not the most ethical business and a lot of us don't like using them, but these are extenuating circumstances.

Or you may find another, better website. Online is the way to go anyway. Brick and mortar supermarkets get an insane amount of traffic.
Good luck.
 

This, indeed. Don't panic, Mi-Shell - it takes valuable energy.

Edited by gregory
Link to post
Share on other sites

People are rushing on supermarkets while we haven't food scarcity. They are panicked, that's foolish because yesterday I also heard that safety directives weren't respected here and there. French people are undisciplined, it's well-known.

A scientist said this morning that the official cases does not correspond to reality, actually we can multiply those counts by 100! Situations in some hospitals are impossible...

It looks like a war situation, but in silence...

It would be good to don't listen the news all the day, this doesn't help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Marigold
1 hour ago, Decan said:

 

A scientist said this morning that the official cases does not correspond to reality, actually we can multiply those counts by 100! Situations in some hospitals are impossible...

It looks like a war situation, but in silence...

 

I read this morning also what that scientist says. But other scientists say different things. So the truth is somewhere but no-one seems to know. One cannot know how many people are infected because a lot of people don't have any symptoms at all. It's all just speculation and each specialist gives his opinion which contradicts the others. Those who don't have symptoms should hopefully be immunised now. 

 

I still think there's too much hysteria. Protect the old people and the ones who have underlying illnesses by asking them to self-isolate and set up networks to make sure they're not lonely and without any support. They can't put the whole world on lockdown for a virus which is not of an ebola type of gravity. Otherwise they'd be locking down countries every year when a new flu virus appears. 

 

It doesn't make sense to me. I think everyone's gone mad. Stark raving mad.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is of an ebola level of gravity, and I haven't seen a single scientist (except the one paid by Trump to spread lies) give a figure less than 100 times the level of infection that we know of.

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

 

And I repeat - this is NOT a flu virus. If it were, those of us already vaccinated for flu would have some immunity. It is not, and we have none, and there is no immunisation available. Unless we have been exposed, we have no way to have developed any immunity. And the mortality rate is much higher than that of flu.

 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

 

IF we had all done like Taiwan then yes, we could carry on as normal-ish. But we didn't and now it's too late to take that line.

 

Yes there is too much panic, but it doesn't help when people say oh it's nothing really, just a flu.

 

Here's - basically - what is actually known AS FACT thus far. Covid-19.pdf

 

Source here among others (ignore the headline - it's insane !)

 

https://thenewspocket.com/coronavirus-the-simpsons-predicted-tom-hanks-infection

 

Yes let's don't spread alarm,. Let;'s also not spread complacency and - disalarm (my new word.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mi-Shell

Hi again!

gregory and katrinka, our Internet currently sucks.......

Companies do not deliver anymore out here, On has to pick things up in a depot in town.

Then I can also go to the wall mart...... 

With sooooo many people all of a suden up where we live, the poor oooold satellite we all get our internet from is overwhelmed and the connection is very spotty... Everyone is streaming something.....  so research on the net for me is mot always possible. 

 

But the good thing is, I can watch a pair of otters from my living room!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mi-Shell

Well, gregory, you KNOW our road!!!!

It is a mess of potholes with river water gurgeling up like in Yellowstone, washed out sections and logs sticking out through through the thin layer of "pavement" The frost is coming out of the ground - in sunny spots but shady areal have 20 cm deep ice ruts.... It is like this every spring.....

When I was younger I used to say, it is a 3 orgasm road....:bugeyed:

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 53rdspirit said:

I live in New York state and it was 23 degrees F here yesterday with a north wind, please tell me that you were in a tanning booth. 😄 

I found a nice slab of cement, Inwould say felt like 70. Hung out, read my book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
geoxena

I have just read some alarming articles about New Jersey (US), which is where I am at this time:

 

Life at the epicenter of N.J.’s coronavirus outbreak

 

New Jersey: Latest updates on coronavirus

 

The head of Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck (first link above) says some startling things about the testing, and how serious this is.

 

I'm a little worried.  I've had a lingering cough for the last two weeks but no fever.  However, the CDC and WHO sites don't state definitively that there's always a fever.  I guess I'm going to wait and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mi-Shell said:

Well, gregory, you KNOW our road!!!!

It is a mess of potholes with river water gurgeling up like in Yellowstone, washed out sections and logs sticking out through through the thin layer of "pavement" The frost is coming out of the ground - in sunny spots but shady areal have 20 cm deep ice ruts.... It is like this every spring.....

When I was younger I used to say, it is a 3 orgasm road....:bugeyed:

Good point - it is rather awful. But will you be meeting him at the airport ? Or in Barrie ? there are other stores outside cottage country. If you go through Mount Forest, last I heard nofrills had stocks - I can ask Mr G to check.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, geoxena said:

I'm a little worried.  I've had a lingering cough for the last two weeks but no fever.  However, the CDC and WHO sites don't state definitively that there's always a fever.  I guess I'm going to wait and see.

Is it a DRY cough ? Productive coughs are supposed not to be caused by the virus.

 

@moonglow Order TP on line. As I said - Grand and Toy have it. I posted a link.

Edited by gregory
Link to post
Share on other sites
geoxena
15 minutes ago, gregory said:

Is it a DRY cough ? Productive coughs are supposed not to be caused by the virus.

Yep, no phlegm, or very little every once in a while, and I'm constantly clearing my throat.  Does that make it a dry cough?  It's like in winter when your throat gets irritated by sucking in very cold air.  And sometimes a slight wheeze when I breathe in - not all the time.  My nose is stuffed up, but it's not running, although I have to blow it every now and then.  No fever, no aches beyond what is normal for me.  Just this effing cough which I'm so tired of!

 

I could leave NJ easily (okay, I will reveal that I am temporarily living out of my car), but just realized my car's rear suspension is failing and I'll need to fix it before I go anywhere.  Calling a mechanic today.

Edited by geoxena
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mi-Shell

I am struggeling with:

Do I go to town NOW and get bread, milk, salad tomatoes and so on??

I could put everything on a sleigh and pull it all up slowly and in daylight and store it away??

And then go out late at night again just to fetch Peter at 11.00 in Orillia?

 

Or should I go and brave the shittt road just once, tonight at ~~9.00pm, get stuff in Orillia but struggggle with freezing temperatures, with all the stuff that can not freeze, pulling several sleighs up the hill in the dark up a 1500foot long steep driveway at night?

Never mind  Peter and his bugggg infested luggage and his Majesty himself, who may not touch anything but said luggage.....

??? decisions   decisions  ??!!

Edited by Mi-Shell
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, geoxena said:

Yep, no phlegm, or very little every once in a while, and I'm constantly clearing my throat.  Does that make it a dry cough?  It's like in winter when your throat gets irritated by sucking in very cold air.  And sometimes a slight wheeze when I breathe in - not all the time.  My nose is stuffed up, but it's not running, although I have to blow it every now and then.  No fever, no aches beyond what is normal for me.  Just this effing cough which I'm so tired of!

 

I could leave NJ easily (okay, I will reveal that I am temporarily living out of my car), but just realized my car's rear suspension is failing and I'll need to fix it before I go anywhere.  Calling a mechanic today.

Keep drinking water. Little and often. Keep your mouth and throat nice and wet. But if you leave and you are infected, you may infect others. Tough call.

33 minutes ago, Mi-Shell said:

I am struggeling with:

Do I go to town NOW and get bread, milk, salad tomatoes and so on??

I could put everything on a sleigh and pull it all up slowly and in daylight and store it away??

And then go out late at night again just to fetch Peter at 11.00 in Orillia?

 

Or should I go and brave the shittt road just once, tonight at ~~9.00pm, get stuff in Orillia but struggggle with freezing temperatures, with all the stuff that can not freeze, pulling several sleighs up the hill in the dark up a 1500foot long steep driveway at night?

Never mind  Peter and his bugggg infested luggage and his Majesty himself, who may not touch anything but said luggage.....

??? decisions   decisions  ??!!

Go to Orillia now; spend the day there; find as much as you can of whatever you need there or on the way. Buy the unfreezable stuff last. - if you have to have unfreezable stuff. Bread and milk freeze just fine, by the way. Buy carrots and shred them for salad. Get rubber gloves and then Peter can put them on and pull a sled.

 

Was Peter definitely exposed ?

Edited by gregory
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

I still think there's too much hysteria. Protect the old people and the ones who have underlying illnesses by asking them to self-isolate and set up networks to make sure they're not lonely and without any support. They can't put the whole world on lockdown for a virus which is not of an ebola type of gravity. Otherwise they'd be locking down countries every year when a new flu virus appears. 

 

It doesn't make sense to me. I think everyone's gone mad. Stark raving mad.

Agree. We need to take this seriously, but c'mon people!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stores everywhere I know are restocking every single day.  One  actually advised a friend to get down there at opening time, before the panicked greedy hordes arrive.

 

People who want deliveries are getting together with neighbours to reduce the delivery charge - maybe you have neighbours who could share a TP purchase ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

In Germany until a few days ago nobody took any precautions , everyone thinks this virus is "just another flue"

 

 

 That's not true, there were measures in place for a while. It is a problem with German mentality about having to go to work even when you are sick, having to follow your routines etc.

 

Anyway, today we had to go shopping and there was no TP, rice, noodles or sugar or flour anywhere to be had. I mean, really, what about other stuff? Most other things but a few beer types (this is Germany after all) were there.

 

We don't need any of the missing stuff at the moment but still... but I have a theory this is really the mummy apocalypse,and people need to wrap themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
geoxena
52 minutes ago, gregory said:

Stores everywhere I know are restocking every single day.  One  actually advised a friend to get down there at opening time, before the panicked greedy hordes arrive.

Where I have been staying, there's a ShopRite (big grocery chain) that is open 24 hrs.  I often pull in to sleep in the parking lot (it's safe and there are others I see who do the same) and usually it's quiet through the night except for the 18- wheelers that come in to deliver products and the occasional shopper.  For the last 4-5 days, the cars have not stopped, all night long.  I went in to use the restroom and buy a few things (no fridge in my SUV so I can't buy much) at around 3:30am because something woke me up and I couldn't fall asleep again.  I figured that, at that wee hour of the morning, it wouldn't be too bad, even though there were a lot of cars in the lot.

 

Well, they only had two cashiers on duty and the line went around the store.  I only had 10 items but there was no express line, so had to join the long-ass queue.  I walk with a cane but no one let me in front of them.  Everybody had FULL carts and the line took forever.  The manager was dealing with deliveries.  The place looked like a picked-over warehouse with empty boxes strewn everywhere.  People were getting angry, one guy gave his cart a big shove and stormed out.  It was about 4:45 when I got out.  I managed to get a little more sleep but when I woke up again, a TV news truck was there and two cop cars.  It's the only 24-hr grocery in the area; the Walmart and other 24-hr stores aren't nearby.  Now, every day they have two cop cars stationed out front.  It's crazy.

 

 

Edited by geoxena
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.