Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

Marigold
14 minutes ago, geoxena said:

Well, they only had two cashiers on duty and the line went around the store.  I only had 10 items but there was no express line, so had to join the long-ass queue.  I walk with a cane but no one let me in front of them.  Everybody had FULL carts and the line took forever.  The manager was dealing with deliveries.  The place looked like a picked-over warehouse with empty boxes strewn everywhere.  People were getting angry, one guy gave his cart a big shove and stormed out.  It was about 4:45 when I got out.  I managed to get a little more sleep but when I woke up again, a need truck was there and two cop cars.  It's the only 24-hr grocery in the area; the Walmart and other 24-hr stores aren't nearby.  Now, every day they have two cop cars stationed out front.  It's crazy.

Good lord. What a crazy situation. Here in Switzerland,  there are a few shelves a bit empty of rice and pasta, but they get filled immediately by the employees. No-one seems to be panicking in the slightest. Even toilet rolls are plenty. (What's this madness about toilet paper?) But we have a sensible government. I don't blame the Americans from panicking when they see how incompetent their present government is. Trumps's declarations were extraordinary, even for his standards. I was very disappointed to hear that he was tested negative. I thought at his age and a with a little help from the Wheel of Fortune... and poof. He wold have been gone from sight forever. No chance - Wheel of Fortune favoured him. She's no respecter of persons. 

Edited by Marigold
Marigold
1 hour ago, Grandma said:

It is an understatement to say that I am not a fan of Trump's but I would not wish sickness and death on anyone.  

Oh I didn't wish it. I was just disappointed. He's caused such havoc and suffering - sometimes it's better for the greater good that fate intervenes. But she didn't. 

bastetly
2 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Oh I didn't wish it. I was just disappointed. He's caused such havoc and suffering - sometimes it's better for the greater good that fate intervenes. But she didn't. 

Disappointed.  SO disappointed, I admit it!  But maybe fate has something worse in store for Cheeto.  I can dream can't I?  It keeps me optimistic  🤩  

Marigold

I see that in the States people are also panic buying guns and ammunition. This sounds all very Mad Max to me. Soon there will be the cult fundamentalist leaders who will be prophesying the end of the world and the battle against the antichrist. You'll see, they'll be blaming the LGBT movement for all this. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

Sociologists and anthropologists will have a field day studying this whole unfortunate affair when it's over. There'll be books written about it. Probably some already begun.

2curious

I'm so done with this nastiness.  It's obvious to me that many here intend to use this forum as a whetstone to grind their personal and political axes upon. I'm leaving. And, out of respect for this forum, I'm letting you know why.

Posted (edited)

They know that people will come and steal their toilet paper. They will Defend it to the Death.

Choir is canceled till further notice. I am sad. :classic_sad: It is such a mood lifter.

Oh crap:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/uks-sewage-system-in-danger-of-gridlock-from-toilet-paper-substitutes-coronavirus

Don't go, 2curious. I will admit that some of our leaders all over the world have been exploiting the crisis, but I don't think pointing that out (as I have to admit I have)  and pointing to those countries that reacted better is exactly political.

Edited by gregory
Marigold

Just read that the Swiss defence department is mobilising 8000 troops to help in case they are needed. It's the biggest mobilisation since WW2. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the Swiss are very good at organising things and being prepared for emergencies. They do it like clockwork - just as their clockmaking industry tradition. And it's a good exercice for the recruits. They never have anything really to do during their conscription which is still compulsory although more and more opt to do civil service instead even if it's longer. 

Switzerland is the second most affected European country after Italy.

For once the army will be put to a better use than protecting the Davos conference and all the powers that be. 

Edited by Marigold

I am going to step in and ask everyone to try and keep the original spirit of this thread, which is to support and care for one another as we all go through this stressful time. I do not want any more political arguments, please. It just adds to the stress and this is the time when we all need a safe place. 

DAMN - Johnson's latest not getting it quite right is to tell us all to avoid being around anyone else unless we have to, but has not ordered pubs and restaurants to close - which means none of them can claim insurance, even though no-one will go to any of them if we follow his advice. I hope he changes that pretty soon. From ITV:

Massive problem for restaurants, pubs, entertainment industries. Government says don't go, but has not enforced closure, meaning none of them can claim insurance.

One event organiser tells me: "If they don't enforce any closures then pretty much the whole arts will go bust."

1 minute ago, Marigold said:

What nastiness ? Although maybe I shouldn't be asking because you said you weren't coming back here. And if it's about Donald Trump, it's not a personal and political axe. I'm rooting for the kids who are put in cages and separated from their parents at the borders. That's not political. That's compassion and charity. 

Or else, it's the old axiom that EVERYTHING is political. Tarot too in that case. 

Please Marigold, drop this. The same goes for everyone else too. 

I am one of the people that are at risk here, due to chronic illness and medication. I too would like this thread to lighten up. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Marigold said:

What nastiness ? Although maybe I shouldn't be asking because you said you weren't coming back here. And if it's about Donald Trump, it's not a personal and political axe. I'm rooting for the kids who are put in cages and separated from their parents at the borders. That's not political. That's compassion and charity. 

Or else, it's the old axiom that EVERYTHING is political. Tarot too in that case. 

We are not here to talking about the various politicians of the world and their records on completely unrelated issues. This thread is ONLY for COVID-19 and issues around it. I know this - I set it up. For ONE purpose. The forum has a political area. Please go there for political stuff.

Edited by gregory
1 minute ago, gregory said:

And smells WONDERFUL.

Yes it does! I have yet to clean it up and give the wood a final treatment but it’s an enjoyable process. My old set of runes still smell of burnt wood. It’s another type of wood so the smell is slightly different, I feel. My husband was kind enough to saw lots of pieces for me to burn. I believe I have enough for 4 full sets of runes but I think I will do something different for my next batch. Maybe animal runes or sigils. We shall see 😎

I don't feel lonely, just a bit helpless --not totally, just a bit. On the other hand, I have contacted my immediate neighbors and extend my help to them if they become isolated and need emergency help, etc., such as a grocery run or something like that, as long as I'm not sick myself. Somehow, that makes me feel better amidst it all.

1 minute ago, 53rdspirit said:

I don't feel lonely, just a bit helpless --not totally, just a bit. On the other hand, I have contacted my immediate neighbors and extend my help to them if they become isolated and need emergency help, etc., such as a grocery run or something like that, as long as I'm not sick myself. Somehow, that makes me feel better amidst it all.

What a nice gesture! 

7 minutes ago, 53rdspirit said:

Bravo well done!

Mi-Shell

Our PM - who is is C19 isolation due to Sophie being sick- just announced that Canada is now closing all its ports of entry to all none residents - apart from airline and freight delivery personnel and US citizens!???? 

THEY are the ones MOST likely infected!!??

We need delivery personnel though - or we won't get any more TP (or drugs or food etc.) I don't get the US citizens bit - unless they mean they will let them OUT !

Along our road we are all very used to taking care of each other - it happens when we get snow and floods too. Whoever is going out checks with everyone else at these times. I well remember the time I was able to trade some beer I happened to have for bread, which was like gold dust at the time ! (even the local town was completely snowed in, and the only bread available was from a small local bakery with a staff of two !)

Raw garlic is powerfully anti-viral and usually easily obtainable, but many are put off by the burning sensation in the mouth and throat. I find the best way to avoid that (and garlic breath), is to beat 1 dessertspoonful of a good oil (flax oil is best, but olive oil's good too), into 1 dessertspoonful of quark. Add 2 or 3 cloves of finely chopped or pressed garlic then flavour with a teaspoonful of honey or jam. My favourite is the juice of half an orange. The quark and oil coat the garlic and it slides down deliciously easily. 

A small contribution to this thread I know, but all I can manage right now.