Are you feeling lonely because of Covid-19 ?

53rdspirit wrote:

"Quark" --I learn something new every day. I had to look it up.  😄

So did I when I first encountered it... 😊

Edited by Pen
I forgot to quote...
31 minutes ago, 53rdspirit said:

"Quark" --I learn something new every day. I had to look it up. 😄 

😄 Its funny to hear it being popular in other countries too. Here in Sweden we use it for all sorts of things. Many people will tell you its the magic ingredient to having saffron buns stay fresh and moist longer. Or semmel buns. *mmmmm*  

Mi-Shell

Our Center of Disease control officer yesterday said on TV, that fresh garlic has anti BACTERIAL properties NOT ANTIVIRAL and for a corona virus it is useless!

But Quark is very delicious!

katrinka
53 minutes ago, 53rdspirit said:

"Quark" --I learn something new every day. I had to look it up. 😄 

QuarkDS9.jpg

katrinka
2 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Haha! Try "Kvarg" or "Kesella" instead. Then you likely won't have to scroll past as many alien-trolls. 

90S Train GIF 

katrinka

Huh.
The mayor put a message on Next Door and the city website yesterday saying coronavirus is no worse than the common cold or flu.
He appears to have taken it down.

A pilot I was working with just went home with a fever mid-trip.  I didn't interact with him directly but I am still a tad nervous.  I'd love your good thoughts!

Also yes, let us please keep this as a support thread.  If it gets heated again in here I'll be forced to close it, and when support is so solely needed, I'd hate to do that. 😞❤️ 

Thanks LF. Take care of you. I am doing what will probably my last trip to town for a long time tomorrow, now that choir is cancelled.... If I get a few groceries that will be nice, but I absolutely have to go to the bank, and I don't think that's been overrun by panickers yet.

Looks like we're self isolating. Husband isn't well, pretty sure it's not Coronavirus, but obviously can't be 100% sure. Now the advice is for whole households to self isolate for two weeks. We've been buying a bit extra food for a few weeks, so cupboards are stocked, which is a good thing as the next online delivery we could book is two weeks away!

Did nip out to nearest large supermarket today. That was sobering. Never seen anything like it, all those empty shelves. I kind of understood the panic buying in a sense, because it made me feel a bit panicky and like I needed to buy things. I needed to be in and out quickly though, so got what I went for and left.

Then I came home and made stuffed peppers and sweet potato mash and everything seemed normal but also quite surreal because of the contrast and the fact things are not normal are won't be for the foreseeable future.

6 hours ago, gregory said:

In the UK we have just been told to avoid all unnecessary contact with anyone else at all. And they expect to close schools.

We got issued advice to stop Guide and Brownie meetings this evening. 😞

My life just got turned into Hermit mode for me.  No work, no volunteering, no dancing.

Guess I'll be enjoying the delights of my craft stash and doing some work in the house and garden!  I will try not to go insane through lack of seeing people.

I've started on my sanity prescription already:

IMG-20200316-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.523d29dda67c29279a1945b0f29e7190.jpeg

At least there are some funny memes.  I saw this today.

Knitters and crocheters:  Do not fear self quarantine.  This is what we have been training for.

1 hour ago, Little Fang said:

I'd love your good thoughts!

You have them, Little Fang!

Just got an email saying that my gym is closed until April 1.  I already had decided to stay away for a while, but this has me a little shaken and I'm not sure why.  Maybe because it's the closest the virus has come to me, both geographically and in terms of how I spend my time, that I know of. 

It's the "that I know of" that's the kicker.  

My oldest daughter is a nurse in a nursing home.  My oldest grandson is in prison.  My next grandson is a trucker and my oldest granddaughter cannot afford to be without work.  My other children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are at the same level of risk as the general public and nobody knows what that is.  I don't scare easily but I am decidedly nervous tonight.

7 hours ago, Marigold said:

Just read that the Swiss defence department is mobilising 8000 troops to help in case they are needed. It's the biggest mobilisation since WW2. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the Swiss are very good at organising things and being prepared for emergencies. They do it like clockwork - just as their clockmaking industry tradition. And it's a good exercice for the recruits. They never have anything really to do during their conscription which is still compulsory although more and more opt to do civil service instead even if it's longer. 

Switzerland is the second most affected European country after Italy.

For once the army will be put to a better use than protecting the Davos conference and all the powers that be. 

If you can get me a Rolex for a good price I'll be your best friend. Nothing special, just a Submariner. Asking for a friend actually. Thanks much. 

Mi-Shell

Peter landed 45 minutes late, then the plane had to wait an hour and a half on the tarmac.

One plane after the other got screened and 4 were ahead of his. 

No plane load came in contact with another.

He was through at 9.00 and just made the bus to Orillia.

I drove down to get him and before to the Walmart in Orillia to get some fresh stuff.

All the shelves were empty - like in war times!

No pasta, TP (which I do not need!!) no yogurt, no bananas all empty. However, they were re-stocking the salad and other greens and I flirted to get a bag of milk from the cold storage 🙂

( Sorry, no Rolex , not even a fake one...)

Now we are home and in voluntary isolation for 2 weeks.

xTheHermitx
4 hours ago, stephanelli said:

We got issued advice to stop Guide and Brownie meetings this evening. 😞

My life just got turned into Hermit mode for me.  No work, no volunteering, no dancing.

Guess I'll be enjoying the delights of my craft stash and doing some work in the house and garden!  I will try not to go insane through lack of seeing people.

I've started on my sanity prescription already:

IMG-20200316-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.523d29dda67c29279a1945b0f29e7190.jpeg

hey....don't knock Hermit mode...it can cure what ails ya 😉

here in America, my biggest fear is that people will not be civil to each other as luxuries are compromised...because. that is the first thing that will trigger people I am afraid. Seeing the empty store shelves makes me think that is the first step to that...now that pretty much everythign is closed, the next few days will be interesting

luckily I have my cards, my drums and bass, books, and my bike.  I am teaching online, so I still have to monitor the kiddos, but they are used to doing video assignments, so in that aspect, not much will change. 

having been nearly homeless in the past, I can survive with little food, no power or heat etc. I don't think it will come to that, but I don't fear that as much as I fear some form of harassment from people wanting to get my stuff. I also hope it does not come to that either, but seeing and hearing about people fighting over goods at the stores does not give me hope. 

6 hours ago, Little Fang said:

A pilot I was working with just went home with a fever mid-trip.  I didn't interact with him directly but I am still a tad nervous.  I'd love your good thoughts!

In Sweden, almost all the documented cases has been infected through close contact. It has been family members, close coworkers (like those eating together or sitting next to one another for a longer while). We have not seen it happening through brief contact on airplane rides or buss rides. They have multiple times (like hundreds of times) tracked all the people that were in contact with an infected person on a plane and it’s almost always their family members that get it and not the other passengers. Of course, if the person was coughing and sneezing etc then that would increase the risk and they may have contaminated surfaces. Most of the Swedish cases were people who just had begun being contagious. There is also a risk that the pilot may have infected or been infected by someone you do work closely with. But that’s not something I would think too hard about right now. Consult your boss and tell them the pilot needs testing and ask if you should be placed in quarantine. If they do not take you seriously then you need to make a call and consult the authority in charge in your area. There must be a number people are supposed to call. It’s a big thing if a pilot is infected so someone needs to report it. It would be very irresponsible of them to allow flight crew to work if they have potentially been exposed. Speak to the other staff members and put pressure on the bosses together. There is strength in numbers! 

6 hours ago, Little Fang said:

Also yes, let us please keep this as a support thread.  If it gets heated again in here I'll be forced to close it, and when support is so solely needed, I'd hate to do that. 😞❤️ 

This. I totally agree. 

Like countries around us we are now confined in France. We can go out only if it's essential, like for buying food etc.

At the beginning they deliberately minimized the problem (saying that it was like a big flu), but not anymore. To minimize doesn't help (actually this can be dangerous because people don't respect safety directives!), panic doesn't help as well.

Here in my country when there is a big problem the reflex (from our government) is to minimize (and to lie); we have seen that many times before.

We are still being given ‘advice’ rather than strong direction. It is beyond frustrating as no-one is really sure what they are supposed to do for the best. Also, people have been told to stay away from pubs, cinemas and theatres but these places can’t claim on their insurance as the government hasn’t directed them to close. So many businesses are going to struggle.

2 hours ago, xTheHermitx said:

hey....don't knock Hermit mode...it can cure what ails ya 😉

I agree Hermit mode is great, but too much of it tends to let me to feel rather depressed.  Having a reason to get out the house really keeps my depression at bay.