Jump to content
stephanelli

Coronavirus Discussion/Venting Thread

Recommended Posts

stephanelli

Do you want discuss some of the latest news around coronavirus and Covid-19?

Would you like to vent about the lack of toilet roll and what you'd like to do about it?

This is an open discussion for these areas!

 

If you would like support, funny memes, chatter and uplifting stories, head to the other thread:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

Thanks stephanelli. Is there any EASY way to move some of the genuinely informational posts over here ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stephanelli
9 minutes ago, gregory said:

Thanks stephanelli. Is there any EASY way to move some of the genuinely informational posts over here ?

Yep, there is for mods.

I will start going through after my lunch, if you fancy linking any of them here feel free to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric

According to Science Times it appears people with blood type A are more susceptible to this virus, and people with blood type O have a stronger immunity to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stephanelli
1 hour ago, gregory said:

Thanks stephanelli. Is there any EASY way to move some of the genuinely informational posts over here ?

Mmmm, this is a harder job than it looked...re-thinking the best way of doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stephanelli
4 minutes ago, Eric said:

According to Science Times it appears people with blood type A are more susceptible to this virus, and people with blood type O have a stronger immunity to it. 

Have you got a link? (Because I'm lazy...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric

I'm on my phone now and it's very slow, and in all honesty I dont know how to do that, but it's there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

Without a RELIABLE (as in WHO) link it means exactly nothing. Spreading information without proper verification is one of the reasons this is spreading as fast as it is.

 

In the interest of making sure people don't get excited I will do your work for you;

 

https://www.sciencealert.com/paper-suggests-certain-blood-types-might-be-slightly-more-susceptible-to-covid-19

 

It is an unreviewed and unverified study, rapidly carried out, and even that link says NOT to take it as fact.

 

Quote

In fast-evolving situations such as this pandemic, accessing research ahead of peer-review is not necessarily a bad thing, but we do need to keep this in mind.

Wait until the WHO takes it seriously to believe it. And I speak as blood type O - I'd love it to be true. But I don't believe it.

 

Please stick to WHO and genuine public health sites for accurate information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, gregory said:

Without a RELIABLE (as in WHO) link it means exactly nothing. Spreading information without proper verification is one of the reasons this is spreading as fast as it is.

 

In the interest of making sure people don't get excited I will do your work for you;

 

https://www.sciencealert.com/paper-suggests-certain-blood-types-might-be-slightly-more-susceptible-to-covid-19

 

It is an unreviewed and unverified study, rapidly carried out, and even that link says NOT to take it as fact.

 

Wait until the WHO takes it seriously to believe it. And I speak as blood type O - I'd love it to be true. But I don't believe it.

 

Please stick to WHO and genuine public health sites for accurate information.

100% THIS.

In other news, a friend in Austin posted on fb that they're boarding up a lot places downtown there. (And it's true, she posted a lot of photos.) It looks like they're expecting trouble.
Hunker down as best you can, people, and be safe.

Edited by katrinka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Endy
1 hour ago, katrinka said:

100% THIS.

In other news, a friend in Austin posted on fb that they're boarding up a lot places downtown there. (And it's true, she posted a lot of photos.) It looks like they're expecting trouble.
Hunker down as best you can, people, and be safe.

Wow boarding up? Really??? Is it because of potential robberies that could happen when businesses are shut down for an extended period of time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marigold
Posted (edited)

So I see that the Netherlands have chosen to go down the road of collective immunity. And to not confine the whole population. I think this decision was taken earlier this week - I seem to have zapped it for some strange reason. Hard to miss info as that's all the newspapers talk about. The Prime Minister of the Netherlands warned in a solemn announcement on television that a lot of people are going to be infected who will then be immune and create a barrier to the virus.

 

That's also what the UK government has been wanting to do by not closing the pubs and all. 

 

We'll see how this pans out. It's a whole new testing ground this pandemic. We'll be learning lots of lessons for the next one. 

Edited by Marigold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arania

But but... it was already hinted at that immunity would only last for a season and the virus is expected to mutate, if slower than flu. What about all their at-risk people?

 

Yes it will be interesting. I would say in the Chinese way, but the Chinese seem to have it under control now.

 

As for boarding up,some people here are planning to loot if the country gets locked down completely I heard. Not sure if this is really true, but I wouldn't put it above some groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marigold
1 minute ago, Arania said:

But but... it was already hinted at that immunity would only last for a season and the virus is expected to mutate, if slower than flu. What about all their at-risk people?

 

Yes it will be interesting. I would say in the Chinese way, but the Chinese seem to have it under control now.

 

 

Actually, the Prime Minister said his words were a bit misunderstood. I found this article which explains their strategy clearly I think:

 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/03/mps-back-ministers-on-coronavirus-herd-immunity-is-not-the-aim-says-rutte/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

Great idea - don't close pubs etc - but tell everyone not to go to them. Not exactly joined up thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marigold
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, gregory said:

Great idea - don't close pubs etc - but tell everyone not to go to them. Not exactly joined up thinking.

Mr Johnson is thinking I would assume already of what is the better alternative for his re-election. I think he reckons he can vacillate a little longer while he figures which way the wind is blowing. 

Edited by Marigold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggydoll

Regarding collective immunity.. Its not so much that it is the number one prize that everyone is aiming for, its just that it is the only real option for as long as there is no vaccine. So no matter how a country phrases it (or sugarcoats it), collective immunity is what is going to take place and the only thing they are trying to control is the pace in which this happens. If they can slow down the pace then that will of course make it somewhat less dire for the medical professionals, but they will also have to try and protect the risk groups as much as possible since they are ultimately the ones that will end up in hospital. And if there are overfull hospitals then mortality rates become even higher than they had needed to be otherwise. You cannot vanquish a pandemic by putting people in quarantine. If it was an epidemic and not a pandemic, then yes, it would technically be possible. The biggest issue however, seem to be that there is a much larger percentage of people that have little to no symtoms than what was previously estimated, and they too will spread the disease (even though it will be to a lesser degree since this is not an airborne virus). So what I am saying is that this virus is not going to be stopped by social distancing or even by quarantines. We are way past that stage. It will continue to spread since there is no immunity. However, as we now know that a far greater percentage of people will have little to no symtoms (this was brought up in today's press conference from the Swedish equivalent to CDC, so its based on new statistics), then the mortality rates will likely be more in line with the seasonal flu. This is also what is suggested from the studies and statistics from South Korea. They are the ones that test the widest and the fastest (20 000 tests per day), and they test on the population as a whole - not just on those with suspected Covid19. Their mortality rates are 0,7% when seen for the whole population. If a person is in the risk group then the rates are higher. But not for the population as a whole, so that is something worth keeping in mind. The reason why we see such alarming mortality rates from Italy are likely due to at least three things:  1. They do not test widely and only register the ones that have needed medical attention. 2. They have the oldest population on the planet. 3. They have a large percentage of smokers.

Also, looking at their statistics, the average age of deceased patients are 80 years. Around 70 percent of them are men. Men are usually over represented among those infected by these type of viruses and it is believed to be because they have more health complications as they grow older, plus men are also less compliant with hygiene measures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
5 hours ago, Endy said:

Wow boarding up? Really??? Is it because of potential robberies that could happen when businesses are shut down for an extended period of time?

Yes. I expect people will be robbing and rioting at some point. A lot of people will have no income:. 
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paid-sick-leave-in-coronavirus-bill-watered-down-even-more_n_5e70e52ec5b6eab7793d0ceb

 

And a lot of the places that are getting boarded up are on 6th Street. I don't know if you're familiar with Austin at all, but 6th is a party destination for out-of-towners. I never bothered with it - most of my friends in bands refuse to even play there, there's lots of better places. 6th is almost solid bars and clubs and at night it's always teeming with people who can't hold their liquor or pace themselves, guys in cars hollering at girls, just really obnoxious. 
 


So imagine carloads of young turks rolling in from the surrounding podunk towns, already drunk and they never got the message that things aren't like they were before. When they find everything closed, they're going to try to smash things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonglow
Posted (edited)

X

Edited by moonglow
Irreparable failure to communicate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, moonglow said:

Can't imagine places being closed down will help the matter.

It depends. Some places are essential. Others aren't, and they're a petri dish of crowding and virus swapping.
I would put bars in the second category.

Edited by katrinka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonglow
Posted (edited)

X

Edited by moonglow
Irreparable failure to communicate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grace
6 hours ago, gregory said:

Great idea - don't close pubs etc - but tell everyone not to go to them. Not exactly joined up thinking.

😂 The politicians are just as torn and indecisive in my country. 

 

In other venting news, both my husband and I have taken to working from home. I lamented that I thought it would be more 'fun' than it actually is. We have both crammed onto the dining table as it's the only work space available at the moment. While he is on conference calls, and zoom meetings... I have to try to be silent (which stops me making my own phone calls, and doing other tasks which unfortunately can be inherently noisy). And vice versa. Now our internet speed is lagging (perhaps due to extra demand?). So I've gone to the bedroom to chill while he finishes up, but am too scared to put on Netflix in case it drops him out of his meeting. LMAO. What to do? Play with my tarot cards of course!! If anyone wants a reading I'm free for the next hour. 😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
9 hours ago, Marigold said:

So I see that the Netherlands have chosen to go down the road of collective immunity. And to not confine the whole population. I think this decision was taken earlier this week - I seem to have zapped it for some strange reason. Hard to miss info as that's all the newspapers talk about. The Prime Minister of the Netherlands warned in a solemn announcement on television that a lot of people are going to be infected who will then be immune and create a barrier to the virus.

 

That's also what the UK government has been wanting to do by not closing the pubs and all. 

 

We'll see how this pans out. It's a whole new testing ground this pandemic. We'll be learning lots of lessons for the next one. 

Ummm...

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/15/can-you-get-infected-by-coronavirus-twice-how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/#66884d515c0f

 

8 hours ago, Marigold said:

Actually, the Prime Minister said his words were a bit misunderstood. I found this article which explains their strategy clearly I think:

 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/03/mps-back-ministers-on-coronavirus-herd-immunity-is-not-the-aim-says-rutte/

From the article:

""In that speech Rutte said that the Dutch aimed to exercise maximum control over the virus. The aim, he said, is to try to spread the peak infection over a longer period, ‘while we build up immunity’. This means that hospitals and intensive care units are not overburdened and they have capacity to help the people most in need, Rutte said."

There's not a word about HOW they intend to do that. How is it even possible?

And what's really surreal is that jerks like Geert are calling for total lockdown. Just the opposite of the way it is here, where the right wingnuts want to keep things open as much as possible, and us workers are collateral damage. 

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/seven-states-doing-surprisingly-little-to-curb-spread-of-coronavirus-80951877857?fbclid=IwAR3suxdEPuOS9s_ufCCNCsoCw7bn3pV6M8VQQYaNK9fv1JUFd1T-adfYZpo

Though to be fair, our dipsh*t governor just now closed bars, gyms, and dine-in restaurants. Everything else is business as usual.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/19/texas-restaurants-bars-closed-greg-abbott/?fbclid=IwAR1ZQ88Fy9dSe3km4nCPkycn2YrL6a5ig-_NViTRh3txrcNRR-ziQmfk2yU

And there's this. They're cramming more people into the concentration camps - which will now be death camps.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-17/for-ice-agents-its-business-as-unusual-day-after-sweeping-coronavirus-order?fbclid=IwAR2i-qprjCuL3lYvKq5C9YLaFkksEy8uAbHh6iyzTw9Tbt1EHJ0840RDjJ8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
2 hours ago, moonglow said:


Oops. Sorry. I meant regarding the lure of busting in windows, etc.

Better busted windows than dead people and people with permanent lung damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.