stephanelli

Coronavirus Discussion/Venting Thread

katrinka
Posted (edited)

Huh, this is strange. 
I've had a chronic dry, croupy cough/chest congestion that I attributed to catching three colds back to back starting around New Year. And if I walk at a fast clip, I get a little shortness of breath. But this sounds just like it. Maybe I've had a very mild strain all this time. 
https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/18318599.cough-basingstoke-man-shares-experience-covid-19/

If that's the case, there's nothing to be done. It's slowly going away, and there's no testing available here anyway.

Edited by katrinka

Raggydoll
33 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Huh, this is strange. 
I've had a chronic dry, croupy cough/chest congestion that I attributed to catching three colds back to back starting around New Year. And if I walk at a fast clip, I get a little shortness of breath. But this sounds just like it. Maybe I've had a very mild strain all this time. 
https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/18318599.cough-basingstoke-man-shares-experience-covid-19/

If that's the case, there's nothing to be done. It's slowly going away, and there's no testing available here anyway.

Dry cough and fever are the two most common symptoms, but the ones affected mildly might not have a fever so, yeah... take care ❤️  

katrinka

Thanks, Raggy. I'll probably never know. 
If that's what it is, though, I've been really lucky. And there's people I ride to and from work with, and they haven't been sick, so maybe it really is just too many colds.

Marigold
11 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Regarding collective immunity.. Its not so much that it is the number one prize that everyone is aiming for, its just that it is the only real option for as long as there is no vaccine. So no matter how a country phrases it (or sugarcoats it), collective immunity is what is going to take place and the only thing they are trying to control is the pace in which this happens. If they can slow down the pace then that will of course make it somewhat less dire for the medical professionals, but they will also have to try and protect the risk groups as much as possible since they are ultimately the ones that will end up in hospital. And if there are overfull hospitals then mortality rates become even higher than they had needed to be otherwise. You cannot vanquish a pandemic by putting people in quarantine. If it was an epidemic and not a pandemic, then yes, it would technically be possible. The biggest issue however, seem to be that there is a much larger percentage of people that have little to no symtoms than what was previously estimated, and they too will spread the disease (even though it will be to a lesser degree since this is not an airborne virus). So what I am saying is that this virus is not going to be stopped by social distancing or even by quarantines. We are way past that stage. It will continue to spread since there is no immunity. However, as we now know that a far greater percentage of people will have little to no symtoms (this was brought up in today's press conference from the Swedish equivalent to CDC, so its based on new statistics), then the mortality rates will likely be more in line with the seasonal flu. This is also what is suggested from the studies and statistics from South Korea. They are the ones that test the widest and the fastest (20 000 tests per day), and they test on the population as a whole - not just on those with suspected Covid19. Their mortality rates are 0,7% when seen for the whole population. If a person is in the risk group then the rates are higher. But not for the population as a whole, so that is something worth keeping in mind. The reason why we see such alarming mortality rates from Italy are likely due to at least three things:  1. They do not test widely and only register the ones that have needed medical attention. 2. They have the oldest population on the planet. 3. They have a large percentage of smokers.

Also, looking at their statistics, the average age of deceased patients are 80 years. Around 70 percent of them are men. Men are usually over represented among those infected by these type of viruses and it is believed to be because they have more health complications as they grow older, plus men are also less compliant with hygiene measures. 

Quoted the whole post because I just wanted to say thank you for this raggydoll. It was very enlightening.

I think our Federal Council is going to give another press conference today. Maybe they're going to go for a total lockdown. Only shops and schools are closed here so people are still gong to work if they can't work from home which is most people. Even Swiss hospitals, renowned for their efficiency, are getting overwhelmed. We need to give as much support to them because they're doing an amazing job. And they're taking risks everyday themselves. I take my hat off to them. I hope they get a huge big bonus from the state when this is all over. Or before. Perhaps one of the rich millionaires could offer their dividends. 

Raggydoll

I do want to add that Italy was very unfortunate in that their very first cases that flew under the radar sadly got to the elderly and the hospital staff. So when they found out, many elderly was already infected and in a bad shape - and so was the doctors and nurses that had been in contact with them. In other countries the first cases was detected among people returning from trips abroad and so there was time to try and protect the vulnerable and the medical staff. The majority of infected people in Germany are under 65 years and that is why their death rates are around 0,2 %. Their good statistics are therefore not a sign of a superior health care, but rather that they have been lucky and good at keeping the infection from the elderly. But if the infection reach that group then they would have just as bad statistics as any other EU country with similar resources (yes, it matters if a country is poor). 

gregory
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Dry cough and fever are the two most common symptoms, but the ones affected mildly might not have a fever so, yeah... take care ❤️  

Yeah - take care, katrinka. MOST people infected do only get mild symptoms, but may very well not end up immune just because of having had it. They used to say that was true of shingles. It isn't.... This one is something like the common cold in structure - and that doesn't give you immunity either - how many of us get colds over and over ?

Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).

Souce: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus

And on a lighter note (this one has been fact checked by snopes, who are doing a GREAT job - if you see something dubious, take a look over there; they have debunked a lot of the madder stuff that is still circulating on fb as god's truth !)

As governments fight the COVID-19 pandemic, Snopes is fighting an “infodemic” of rumors and misinformation, and you can help. Browse our coronavirus fact checks here. Tell us about any questionable or concerning rumors and “advice” you encounter here.

Things appeared pretty bleak in March 2020 as the COVID-19 coronavirus disease continued to spread across the globe. Businesses and restaurants were being shut down, people were asked to stay inside their homes, and the stock market was crashing. But, according to viral list on social media, it wasn’t all bad news. 

On March 16, a Facebook post that supposedly highlighted some “good news” about COVID-19 started to spread online:

How about some good news?

– China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

– Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

– Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

– A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

– Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

– Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

– Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

– Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

– Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

– 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

– A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

– A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

– Tulsa County’s first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

– All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

– Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

So it’s not all bad news. Let’s care for each other and stay focused on safety of those most vulnerable.

Edited by gregory

Marigold

I read an article that made me sad. I'd had already thought about this at the beginning of all the confinement measures and lockdowns then it went out of my mind.

The article spoke that of the inevitable consequence of an increase of domestic abuse and particularly of violence towards women. There must be some very sad couples confined and it must be really hard for some people. This whole pandemic has so many ramifications. A friend of mine spoke of the difficulty her sister is having looking after their mother who started showing Alzheimer symptoms some time ago. It's hugely distressing. 

Confinement for some means watching Netflix or gardening if they have a garden. For some people, it must be really really tough. 

Mi-Shell

Since Peter came home Monday night we are now on day 4 of our mandatory self isolation. He had to sign a paper at the airport, that he was going to follow the protocol and where he intends to do it.

So he lives downstairs in our guest room and has the whole lower half of the house to himself. If it is not raining or snowing he can also be outside - we have 106 acres of wilderness and a currently unusable driveway covered in slick ice. 

I have the upper part of our log home to myself.

We are both talking on the phone, reading or hanging out on our pooooooters, like me right now.

Today the pharmacy phoned, I am supposed to pick up a prescription in town.

BUT the other day when I was there there was a loooooong line up all the way around the store - other people wanting to pick up their prescriptions. 

I told the pharmacist about Peter and e- mailed his piece of paper about self isolation in.

Now they will deliver the meds to the end of our driveway.

I am waiting for the call to go down our slippery driveway and meet the delivery van.

gregory

So Peter gets the shower :classic_wink:

Grandma
Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2020 at 11:09 AM, Eric said:

According to Science Times it appears people with blood type A are more susceptible to this virus, and people with blood type O have a stronger immunity to it. 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, gregory said:

I can't even tell you how angry this makes me.  @Eric can you understand the difference between "ARE MORE susceptible" and 'MIGHT be SLIGHTLY more susceptible"?  It's a pretty enormous difference.  And the most cursory reading of the article supports what gregory has told us, that

On 3/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, gregory said:

It is an unreviewed and unverified study, rapidly carried out, and even that link says NOT to take it as fact.

I didn't even need to read the article to believe that, because everything gregory tells us has long been proven to be accurate and easily fact checked.  

You on the other hand throw something alarming out there and act like you are being put upon to be asked for your source.  We get enough of that from Trump.  Please post responsibly. 

Edited by Grandma

gregory
Posted (edited)

Way to go Grandma. As I said before that is an unreviewed study which is at this point no more than speculation. 

Edited by gregory

katrinka
34 minutes ago, Grandma said:

I can't even tell you how angry this makes me.  @Eric can you understand the difference between "ARE MORE susceptible" and 'MIGHT be SLIGHTLY more susceptible"?  It's a pretty enormous difference.

Agreed.
This is not a time for rumor-mongering.

The internet is full of clickbait headlines and the like. Please don't state them as facts with no citations.

As gregory mentioned, Snopes is pretty quick about verifying and debunking these stories.
A quick google of "snopes blood type coronavirus" got me this: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/blood-type-covid-19/

And even for people who can't be bothered to actually read the text there, this is hard to miss:
Capture.thumb.JPG.b424e8373d82e380d91422471df7b26a.JPG

Raggydoll

Everyone, I totally agree that we should be very selective and careful with what information we share or that we rely on. It is indeed very important. However, I want us to not let this thread turn into bickering and I don't want us to get personal. So can we please try to keep the atmosphere nice? 

cat kitty GIF

katrinka

No problem here, I said my piece. 😊

tenor.gif

Raggydoll
21 minutes ago, katrinka said:

tenor.gif

Hahahaha

little rascals awww GIF

Mi-Shell

89919156_1947904095354575_8734637172688158720_n.jpg.6c15ea5eeb95bbb73758eb1819c1f453.jpg

sorrrrrry for the bad language 😟

geoxena
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, katrinka said:

tenor.gif

Is Sylvester pointing to the halo, or giving us the finger?  Hmmm.  😉

Edited by geoxena

katrinka
11 hours ago, geoxena said:

Is Sylvester pointing to the halo, or giving us the finger?  Hmmm.  😉

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sylvester is a GOOD kitty and he's OBVIOUSLY pointing the way to heaven and all that is Right and Good.
Even Granny agrees (sometimes.) (OK, rarely.)

tumblr_p4ep15me3I1u0p9qwo3_400.gif

gregory

I agree with any dog being spanked. :classic_smile:

joy
4 hours ago, gregory said:

I agree with any dog being spanked. :classic_smile:

Whaaaat!!!!! How why?

bad person no GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

gregory

Dogs Are Not Me.

There is only one acceptable dog in the ENTIRE WORLD.

ellie.jpg.afaa4db4a000a1f638bc54b6593f269d.jpg

End Of.

And to everyone who says "oh you will love MY dog, she wouldn't hurt a fly" and the rest - of the three friends who pulled that one, two of their dogs bit me on the spot - one to the bone; The third rushed at me in an unacceptable fashion.

Dogs can go extinct for all I care.

Cats rule.

joy
23 minutes ago, gregory said:

Dogs can go extinct for all I care.

Cats rule.

Fair enough and I believe my cats - even though they do sort of love some of our dogs - would probably agree :biggrin: