stephanelli

Coronavirus Discussion/Venting Thread

gregory
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

05289098-3C09-4AD3-BD34-BEB68A886B4D.jpeg.62d57a2767720fe4e3c6f94fc54a3ee2.jpeg

Right on Raggy.

Large numbers of the English population have been behaving appallingly. Walking round London parks in huge close-together groups, crowding into the London Underground to go shopping, gathering on beaches, trailing up to the Lake District for a nice weekend away, ; booking hotel stays up there.... There have even been CORONA PARTIES ! The lockdown we now get is to a large degree the fault of people behaving like that. If we had all done social distancing, things would be a lot easier.

Compare the figures for infection in Northumberland (10 - pretty much static for days) and Cumbria - right next door but including the Lake District - 110 and rising daily, and 5 deaths. That suggests something to do with inconsiderate tourists, to me....

Edited by gregory

katrinka
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, gregory said:

Good GRIEF..

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/virus-rebels-france-florida-flout-072721740.html

Please no-one be this STUPID.

"Young German adults hold “corona parties" and cough toward older people. "
I hope they try that with an older person who is neither feeble nor suffers fools gladly, and he/she whacks them in the mouth with a cane.

Edited by katrinka

Mi-Shell

Canada is virtually shutting down tomorrow. Just groceries and the booze stores and pharmacies may stay open. That forces every Canadian to run around like crazzzzzzy tomorrow, to get together all kinds of stuff we need. 

I has hoped, our Staples - poooooter shop would stay open, but - no. neither the bulk food store or the pet food store. 

People having a dog or cat are going nuts!

No idea, iffff Walmart can stay open - if not, pet owners are screwed......

Right now, this minute there are pet food riots at Walmart in Bracebridge, as I heard from a friend.......

katrinka

Pets can eat the things we eat. There are some foods to be avoided, of course. Here is a list https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets?ms=MP_PMK_GGPoisonControl&initialms=MP_PMK_GGPoisonControl&gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6AhYZnjDfgvAHf6XerhjKFBPFwg6m8e-mBei9zaM4eNFrWEKiNcVbrhoCMmsQAvD_BwE

(And be aware that a lot of peanut butter these days contains xylitol, so it's important to read labels. NEVER make peanut butter dog treats without checking!)

Here's a useful link on making cat food https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/
And some dog food recipes https://greatist.com/eat/homemade-dog-food-recipes

As with anything else, do the research and adjust for activity levels, medical conditions, etc. 

Raggydoll
19 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Pets can eat the things we eat. There are some foods to be avoided, of course. Here is a list https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets?ms=MP_PMK_GGPoisonControl&initialms=MP_PMK_GGPoisonControl&gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6AhYZnjDfgvAHf6XerhjKFBPFwg6m8e-mBei9zaM4eNFrWEKiNcVbrhoCMmsQAvD_BwE

(And be aware that a lot of peanut butter these days contains xylitol, so it's important to read labels. NEVER make peanut butter dog treats without checking!)

Here's a useful link on making cat food https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/
And some dog food recipes https://greatist.com/eat/homemade-dog-food-recipes

As with anything else, do the research and adjust for activity levels, medical conditions, etc. 

Great information. It was just on the headlines that two dogs are confirmed infected with covid19. Dogs are not believed to contribute to the spreading of this infection, but if any pet owners suspect they have covid then they should not only be careful around other people but also around their pets so they don’t get infected.  

Marigold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, katrinka said:

"Young German adults hold “corona parties" and cough toward older people. "
I hope they try that with an older person who is neither feeble nor suffers fools gladly, and he/she whacks them in the mouth with a cane.

Then there's behaviour like this. It's alleged, but someone still got a black eye. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52003543

Edited to add: I'm so glad to hear from Boris Johnson that the UK has a FANTASTIC health system. He said that in his speech last night. I didn't know  that - I thought the NHS was in shambles. Must be fake news then. Am most relieved. Long live the Fantastic and Healthy NHS then. 

Edited by Marigold

katrinka
2 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Great information. It was just on the headlines that two dogs are confirmed infected with covid19. Dogs are not believed to contribute to the spreading of this infection, but if any pet owners suspect they have covid then they should not only be careful around other people but also around their pets so they don’t get infected.  

Yes. 
I'm seeing conflicting information about dogs. Some sources say they can get it, others say the positive test results are from shed virus on their noses from their owners. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/pets-dogs-cats-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

One of the two dogs has died, but it was 17 years old and they don't know if it was the virus that killed it. https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-first-case-human-to-dog-transmission.html

But in any case, yes, be careful around other peoples' pets. And anything else other people touch.

katrinka
Posted (edited)

A facebook friend who does meticulous research just posted this:

"...it is very common for it to give you two rounds. Common symptoms for the first round often start with a stomach-ache, then you rapidly spike a fever, and may have muscle-aches, headache, and difficulty breathing. After a few days to a week, people often feel better - even fully recovered. Here's the tricky part. A sizable proportion of people who seem fully recovered will, 24 to 48 hours later, progress to Round 2: Respiratory Boogaloo, where it descends full force into your lungs. So, even if you had mild symptoms, if you felt funky for a few days and then felt totally better and all of a sudden you feel like you are having trouble breathing, you need to take it very seriously.

"There is a rumor circulating that people are catching Covid-19 twice, and that it is worse the second time. So far, there is no solid evidence of that, and it seems to be an artifact of this two-round illness pattern. While we don't know for sure if catching it and recovering once confers long term immunity, we DO know for sure that people who have it, or have recovered from it, produce antibodies against it - that's how the fast antibody screening tests work, and that's why Johns Hopkins is currently doing clinical testing on a serum antibody therapy that relies on antibodies from the blood serum of people who have recovered from the disease. We also know, with super limited sample sizes, that people who survived Covid-19's nastier cousin, SARS, still produce antibodies 9 and 11 years after recovery. This is very promising! It's hard to stay optimistic in the midst of this (especially with every grocery delivery slot booked up) and it's definitely going to get worse before it gets better, but it will come to an end and we will get through it. Hang in there, darlings. 2764.png?_nc_eui2=AeHIYrNz4hQ3880rH2hZUE"

Edited by katrinka

katrinka
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

Then there's behaviour like this. It's alleged, but someone still got a black eye. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52003543

It looks like the wrong person got the black eye.
Carry pepper spray gel.

2 hours ago, Marigold said:

Edited to add: I'm so glad to hear from Boris Johnson that the UK has a FANTASTIC health system. He said that in his speech last night. I didn't know  that - I thought the NHS was in shambles. Must be fake news then. Am most relieved. Long live the Fantastic and Healthy NHS then. 

It's like there's two Trumps out there and you guys got stuck with the other one.

Marigold
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, katrinka said:

It's hard to stay optimistic in the midst of this (especially with every grocery delivery slot booked up) and it's definitely going to get worse before it gets better, but it will come to an end and we will get through it. Hang in there, darlings. 2764.png?_nc_eui2=AeHIYrNz4hQ3880rH2hZUE"

There's a huge amount of positive information coming through. Every day. In the Canton I live (one of the highest rates of Covid in Switzerland after the Tessin which borders Italy), they are being cautiously optimistic as the rate of infection seems to not be growing exponentially anymore. China is coming out of lockdown. Other countries have had success too. 

Now once we've contained this in Europe (and it will be contained), we've got the rest of the world to worry about. I suspect that travel restrictions will be the very last to go and may last a long long time. Which gives me much joy as there are far too many airplanes and stupid polluting cruise skyscrapers and people travelling on business when it could be done through modern technology. Also the havoc that tourism has created for the environment will lessen. Mass tourism is a crime against humanity and the planet. Perhaps people will learn that they can have a nice break without going thousands of miles to sit and sun on a beach somewhere under a palm tree. Get back to a more simple life without this obsessive addiction to travel. Particularly as most countries look the same these days. There's a Burger King and Zara and Starbucks in every town. 

Another good news is that the large majority of people who get Covid-19 are either asymptomatic (which is why social distancing is so important), or have very mild symptoms. There are many more people who are immunised already that we can guess of. Thousands and thousands of cases of Covid-19 have gone undetected and are not in the statistics. I do hope most people realise that this is not the apocalypse. But some people seem to be very frightened indeed. I feel so sorry for them. A friend of mine and neighbour, an extreme hypochondriac, who lives on the 2nd floor (3rd floor for Americans) refuses to go out even on her balcony (because the Covid virus maybe rises in the air about 30 metres from the ground and she's scared to catch it). I tried to tell her that it's not possible, that science proves that she's wrong, but she's so fearful due to her hypochondria that she won't listen to reason. I notice that she never opens her windows anymore either and she was always fanatical about fresh air. She's locked inside her flat and her head. Another hypochondriac friend of mine has removed herself and her dog to a remote cabin in the mountains with no internet and no electricity nor running water. And plans to stay a few weeks. 

Life will never been the same again though. I have good hopes that it may be better. As if there will be a shift. No government will I hope dare to not support national health systems anymore. And if they do, well then people will only have themselves to blame for voting for them again and again and again.  This covid-19 certainly has two sides to it. Just like a Tarot card. I'm definitely not looking at Covid only as a reversed arcanum. 

Edited by Marigold

gregory
9 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

Canada is virtually shutting down tomorrow. Just groceries and the booze stores and pharmacies may stay open. That forces every Canadian to run around like crazzzzzzy tomorrow, to get together all kinds of stuff we need. 

I has hoped, our Staples - poooooter shop would stay open, but - no. neither the bulk food store or the pet food store. 

People having a dog or cat are going nuts!

No idea, iffff Walmart can stay open - if not, pet owners are screwed......

Right now, this minute there are pet food riots at Walmart in Bracebridge, as I heard from a friend.......

Loblaws, M&M and the rest sell pet food too.

3 hours ago, Marigold said:

We DO have a fantastic health system. It is NOT in a shambles. There are issues, and this will overstretch it, and there will be a grave shortage of beds (mostly , in normal circumstances - because social care for the elderly is in a REAL mess) - as it is doing the health services of most countries, but he is basically correct, much as I hate to admit it. What is an issue is regular care at this time. I am assuming that my partner's very minor no anaesthetic even needed procedure in a couple of weeks will be cancelled, for instance. There will be a horrible backlog afterwards.

But rightwingers just want people to believe it's a disaster area so that they have an excuse to privatise. (I worked in the NHS for 20 years, and have many friends who still do. They are stressed and angry about stuff like targets and paperwork - but while they want changes they would NOT say it's a "shambles."

Raggydoll

@Marigold I’m going to ask you to stop with the sarcasm and to not turn this into a political debate around different leaders and different health care systems. You already know when you are crossing the line but do it anyway. Now I’m telling you to stop it.

We have had multiple members contact the staff about this thread and there has also been several reports. People come to this thread, hoping to discuss and hear more about what is going on with the pandemic, not to read about someone else’s political opinions or to learn what that person feel is wrong with a country, or a leader, or the world. 

As of this moment, several staff members are sick and so we are operating under-staffed. I am myself in isolation with my family because I am in the risk category. This means that whenever we need to monitor threads because people don’t follow rules, time is taken from us handling other things. So we would appreciate it immensely if you all could help us keep the atmosphere nice and to stick to the rules. 

Thank you !! 💗

gregory

Thank you Raggydoll. I've said it before - we HAVE a politics subforum and anyone can go there to sound off. But politics are rather boring when plonked in other discussions. One needs it to be specifically a political discussion - and that should NOT happen in this thread.

Decan

I’m in the process of making a mask with fabric, that way I could wash it. Actually there is a shortage of masks here, and even the ones you buy have to be throwed, so or you have a lot of masks or you have a mask with fabric that you wash everyday!

gregory

I am so glad I live up a hill in the middle of nowhere.

Decan
1 minute ago, gregory said:

I am so glad I live up a hill in the middle of nowhere.

Indeed, you are blessed!

gregory

WELL ! In terms of the "shambles of the NHS", may I now report that I self-diagnosed with conjunctivitis; I was due for a repeat scrip on something else so I put a note in my request (these are done very efficiently on line these days) that this was the case and could I have some drops. That was about an hour ago. A doctor just called me; we had a phone consult and I get the prescription in the morning (would have been today, but it's early closing for my local pharmacy.)

And no risks to me or other patients of any Covid transmission. How non-shambles is that ? 

I love the NHS. And let this be a lesson for anyone needing help - CALL, don't go !

xTheHermitx

I feel like this is nature telling humans that we are not the most powerful thing on the. face of the planet, and that maybe we all need to stop, and relook at how we live, interact, use, and abuse each other and the Earth.  I am hoping...HOPING,  that the forced isolation causes people to think about sacrifice, impact, and interaction, and how it is important to think beyond our agenda, and wallet, and to really learn how to survive, and interact in a civil way. 

Some times "Stand Still and Shut up" is the best course of action. I hope that First World people are getting a reality check about the importance of things, and about NOT being entitled, aloof, and belligerent.  I hope that people are finding that your LOCAL COMMUNITY is the foundation of the larger community, and that strength spreads outward from the hub, through the spokes, and to the rim. 

Sadly, I don't have a lot of faith that Americans will do the right thing, and have learned anything, on the other side of this, and we will just go back into status quo, thinking that we are infallable, and the best thing to ever happen to mankind, while we continue to be the most selfish, ignorant, and destructive thing to happen to mankind. I have faith that people from other countries will do a lot better, but I just feel like the mainstream American Sheeple will continue to do whatever the mainstream media tells them to do...

I plan on not being one of those Sheeple...

Mi-Shell

Hi xTheHermitx!

Looking at the quickly rising case numbers in the US, I have a feeling, that , with his plans to "turn the economy back on" good old Trump will eliminate a large percentage of his own voters - or should I say Sheeples 🙂 

xTheHermitx
22 minutes ago, Mi-Shell said:

Hi xTheHermitx!

Looking at the quickly rising case numbers in the US, I have a feeling, that , with his plans to "turn the economy back on" good old Trump will eliminate a large percentage of his own voters - or should I say Sheeples 🙂 

that would be fitting, wouldn't it. Luckily, many of the governors of the States are going against him and still calling for "normalcy" to happen more like in July.

It will be interesting to see how many people are truly tired of him when we are cleaning up from the end of this storm...

katrinka
2 hours ago, xTheHermitx said:

I feel like this is nature telling humans that we are not the most powerful thing on the. face of the planet, and that maybe we all need to stop, and relook at how we live, interact, use, and abuse each other and the Earth.

Well yeah. The earth wouldn't be as old as it is without something that functions like an immune system. 
You can anthropomorphize it if you like. We've passed Mom saying "Knock it off - final warning" and we're on the fast track to "I'm going to get you ****ers off of me if I have to kill every last one of you". 

2 hours ago, xTheHermitx said:

I am hoping...HOPING,  that the forced isolation causes people to think about sacrifice, impact, and interaction, and how it is important to think beyond our agenda, and wallet, and to really learn how to survive, and interact in a civil way. 

Sadly, I don't have a lot of faith that Americans will do the right thing, and have learned anything, on the other side of this, and we will just go back into status quo, thinking that we are infallable, and the best thing to ever happen to mankind, while we continue to be the most selfish, ignorant, and destructive thing to happen to mankind. I have faith that people from other countries will do a lot better, but I just feel like the mainstream American Sheeple will continue to do whatever the mainstream media tells them to do...

Pretty much. I don't think forced isolation will help in that sense. If the people who need to self-reflect were capable of doing so, we wouldn't be in this fix. 
Sadly, we're going to see a lot of abuse. It's going to spike - murders, too. Women, kids, animals. A lot of homes are going to turn into the Overlook Hotel when Psycho Dad isn't at work anymore and everybody's inside getting on his nerves. Some of the women, too. I've seen news of some really sick abuse done by women in the past, so I'm not singling out the men here. 

It's going to get really ugly before it gets better, IF it gets better. I'd like to think that what's happening will kill off all the 21st century corporate robber barons who are doing the most damage, but unfortunately viruses and random violence don't single people out.

katrinka
49 minutes ago, Mi-Shell said:

Hi xTheHermitx!

That would be nice - until they cough on us.

xTheHermitx
1 minute ago, katrinka said:

Well yeah. The earth wouldn't be as old as it is without something that functions like an immune system. 
You can anthropomorphize it if you like. We've passed Mom saying "Knock it off - final warning" and we're on the fast track to "I'm going to get you ****ers off of me if I have to kill every last one of you". 

that is a great way to look at it...like we are the viruses....I often times liken it to a dog who is "shaking off the fleas"

1 minute ago, katrinka said:

Pretty much. I don't think forced isolation will help in that sense. If the people who need to self-reflect were capable of doing so, we wouldn't be in this fix. 
Sadly, we're going to see a lot of abuse. It's going to spike - murders, too. Women, kids, animals. A lot of homes are going to turn into the Overlook Hotel when Psycho Dad isn't at work anymore and everybody's inside getting on his nerves. Some of the women, too. I've seen news of some really sick abuse done by women in the past, so I'm not singling out the men here. 

It's going to get really ugly before it gets better, IF it gets better. I'd like to think that what's happening will kill off all the 21st century corporate robber barons who are doing the most damage, but unfortunately viruses and random violence don't single people out.

what I hope DOESN'T  happen is when that stuff does happen, the media does not spatter it everywhere, encouraging more panic. So far, in our immediate community, there has been nothing but coolness happening...but int he next "ring" out, there has been some selfish idiocy, mostly in the panicked hoarding of supplies and people fighting "Black Friday" style over stuff. I also live on the fringes of one of the more wealthy suburbs, where large Earth killing SUV's travel and people buy bottled water and juice boxes in bulk for sports practices...