Jump to content

In the Neighborhood


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

@RavenOfSummer blackberry season is from December to March here so they're actually the last of the blackberries. I think I remember reading somewhere that from September onwards in the UK any blackberries on bushes should be left for the faeries. I liked the thought of that so I try and do that here from April 😊  

ETA: I never seen flowering hawthorn before, they're beautiful little flowers! Those iris are pretty good looking too. Mmm fresh thyme love the smell of that! 

Ahh, of course that makes sense, I was thinking about the seasons wrong! Leaving some for the faeries is a lovely tradition 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
moonglow

Loving all the photos!

 

We took a drive to the butcher’s yesterday and stopped by some woods carpeted in white Trilliums.


I’m glad my phone cooperated for a couple of snaps as it is often too curmudgeonly to do so (8.5 years old). ☺️

 

88D5AE14-C1A8-4DFD-B680-CB4E38DEF7E3.jpeg

36119F5E-7611-488F-BCF7-F26EC37FFD4F.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, moonglow said:

Loving all the photos!

 

We took a drive to the butcher’s yesterday and stopped by some woods carpeted in white Trilliums.


I’m glad my phone cooperated for a couple of snaps as it is often too curmudgeonly to do so (8.5 years old). ☺️

 

88D5AE14-C1A8-4DFD-B680-CB4E38DEF7E3.jpeg

36119F5E-7611-488F-BCF7-F26EC37FFD4F.jpeg

Gorgeous! Love trillium!!!

Edited by RavenOfSummer
Link to post
Share on other sites

So many gorgeous flowers! We are still in the soggy part of spring here so not much is growing yet. I was out on a walk with the youngest today. We looked at a snail and some beautiful (in my opinion) trees 😊

 

A4CF2346-F943-42CF-A7A9-97FFEFED12D7.thumb.jpeg.b26fbbfcfce6daf6eda3084d19640e8a.jpeg

 

9C48ADA9-D4DC-4A68-9B5B-CFD49141FB83.thumb.jpeg.4dcfeaf97d0aec9f35e384d9c3624b39.jpeg

 

B3DFFC81-EA4F-41AC-9C89-60A6D1FBB8B3.thumb.jpeg.8772938780f31384e4b49964382cd11f.jpeg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

So many gorgeous flowers! We are still in the soggy part of spring here so not much is growing yet. I was out on a walk with the youngest today. We looked at a snail and some beautiful (in my opinion) trees 😊

 

A4CF2346-F943-42CF-A7A9-97FFEFED12D7.thumb.jpeg.b26fbbfcfce6daf6eda3084d19640e8a.jpeg

 

9C48ADA9-D4DC-4A68-9B5B-CFD49141FB83.thumb.jpeg.4dcfeaf97d0aec9f35e384d9c3624b39.jpeg

 

B3DFFC81-EA4F-41AC-9C89-60A6D1FBB8B3.thumb.jpeg.8772938780f31384e4b49964382cd11f.jpeg

 

Same soggy situation here, @Raggydoll and I LOVE trees and interestingly configured shrubs. I'm sure there are flowers hidden somewhere underneath the ground cover here. From my venture out yesterday afternoon. I could hear the birds, but didn't see any except for a lone seagull flying overhead and a very fat grackle in the fork of a tree.20200502_152223.thumb.jpg.3cbf21954717ab853ca471621537b69c.jpg20200502_153046.thumb.jpg.fd1ef63dfe0ce1377928a21240a5fff7.jpg to the wetlands down the street. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 53rdspirit said:

Same soggy situation here, @Raggydoll and I LOVE trees and interestingly configured shrubs. I'm sure there are flowers hidden somewhere underneath the ground cover here. From my venture out yesterday afternoon. I could hear the birds, but didn't see any except for a lone seagull flying overhead and a very fat grackle in the fork of a tree.20200502_152223.thumb.jpg.3cbf21954717ab853ca471621537b69c.jpg20200502_153046.thumb.jpg.fd1ef63dfe0ce1377928a21240a5fff7.jpg to the wetlands down the street. 

Thank you, beautiful pics!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

Hehe "grackle" that's a funny name 😂

 

@Raggydoll I used to love the feel of snails on my skin as a kid. I think there's a photo of me somewhere at about 4 years old sitting on the back steps with snails crawling over my belly lol

Hahaha. Brilliant! 

 

joy love GIF by caitcadieux

Link to post
Share on other sites
Amberjune

@RavenOfSummer these are stunning pictures! Thank you so much for sharing. That thyme is beautiful! I can almost smell it from here 🙂

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@RavenOfSummer, I LOVE the close-ups of the irises!

@moonglow, thank you for the trillium photos. 💚 Even though we have them in my neck of the woods, I've yet to run across any.

@Raggydoll, That's a great picture of the snail; I can't believe he didn't hide when you got up so close. He must know you consider him a friend. 🙂 That gnarly tree looks like it has some stories to tell.

@53rdspirit, the colors and textures of your wetland landscape photos are lovely! We have lots of grackles here; they sound like a squeaky hinge! 😄

 

Our African irises are blooming (they love the combination of heat and rain), and the spiderworts (known for their web-like hairs around the stamens) are quickly becoming a groundcover in some areas. The hummingbirds will be glad to see that our black and blue sage and scarlet sage (that is often called Mickey Mouse or little Buddha sage) is beginning to bloom.

250501436_Africaniris.thumb.jpg.b819e37b5d64c43ca0bec532e317f231.jpgspiderwort.thumb.jpg.a84337d375752395feb6a0c433177ca6.jpg1998443999_blackandbluesage.thumb.jpg.fb1738fa6c28178f703958f37aff2714.jpg1603561725_scarletsage.thumb.jpg.217f85e6ca2c5b79a055bd3a63de9371.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer

Really enjoying all the pictures! 😍

 

In the UK, we have bluebells in May (in Scotland, a 'bluebell' is what we call a harebell, so it's a bit different). They can cover vast areas of semi-woodland, and if you're lucky, you live somewhere with a spectacular display. I'm glad to say I'm lucky. :azn:

IMG_2770.thumb.JPG.10a06a441a77620932724b5b20be7f38.JPGIMG_2776.thumb.JPG.e7eebbb4f4244ef0854893bbbcf8ecca.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer

And a non-flower: the Great Ash of Llanoley, just starting to come into leaf. 

 

It's hard to get across the scale of this thing, but you feel mighty small, standing at the base of that trunk. I can almost understand Yggdrasil, staring up at it. 

IMG_2753.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer

Thanks, @Raggydoll!

 

Your 'special clearing'... that is intriguing! Glacial boulders, of course, but presumably put together by humans? Do you know anything about the significance of the place?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Thanks, @Raggydoll!

 

Your 'special clearing'... that is intriguing! Glacial boulders, of course, but presumably put together by humans? Do you know anything about the significance of the place?

Nothing other than what I could pick up by 'reading' the place. The interesting thing is how one finds these places. I was on a walk when a saw a lovely big rock (not the ones on the picture) and had the thought that I should sit down on it, to wait for something to happen. (Typicall norse heathen stuff 😉, we do "uteseta" where we sit still and consult/interact with nature). So after I had sat there for a while,the sun moved and I followed it with my eyes. It shone on something inside the dense woods, and it looked like a clearing. So I went to explore and found that place. I will explore it further on another day! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka

I haven't been posting here since where I live is really dry and there isn't much to look at. It's a dull, fugly little town - it isn't the desert, but it's too close for comfort.
But I went back and visited my hometown in 2010. Things grow there. It's about 90 miles east of here, so they get more rain.

00.jpg

 

Biiiiig tree!

00.jpg

 

My favorite angel statue. It's called "Reluctant Fanfare." The arm has been missing since before I was born, I think.

00.jpg

 

I adore spanish moss. I don't think a day goes by that I don't miss it.

00.jpg



I have more, but I'm grabbing them off of facebook and everything is freezing up and getting all zucked. So I'll add them later.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I haven't been posting here since where I live is really dry and there isn't much to look at. It's a dull, fugly little town - it isn't the desert, but it's too close for comfort.
But I went back and visited my hometown in 2010. Things grow there. It's about 90 miles east of here, so they get more rain.

00.jpg

 

Biiiiig tree!

00.jpg

 

My favorite angel statue. It's called "Reluctant Fanfare." The arm has been missing since before I was born, I think.

00.jpg

 

I adore spanish moss. I don't think a day goes by that I don't miss it.

00.jpg



I have more, but I'm grabbing them off of facebook and everything is freezing up and getting all zucked. So I'll add them later.

 

I love those pictures, thank you so much for sharing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wanderer
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Nothing other than what I could pick up by 'reading' the place. The interesting thing is how one finds these places. I was on a walk when a saw a lovely big rock (not the ones on the picture) and had the thought that I should sit down on it, to wait for something to happen. (Typicall norse heathen stuff 😉, we do "uteseta" where we sit still and consult/interact with nature). So after I had sat there for a while,the sun moved and I followed it with my eyes. It shone on something inside the dense woods, and it looked like a clearing. So I went to explore and found that place. I will explore it further on another day! 

Fascinating... and yes, you must go back! :smiley:

 

I sometimes find places that demand attention like that as well; our hills are littered with standing stones, burial mounds, and so on, along with the ancient trees and the extraordinary (if more hidden) stories of the underlying rocks. It's amazing how sitting still and really paying attention to nature changes our perspective so profoundly... the world would be a better place if more people did that! 

 

@katrinka- love the Spanish Moss! We have lots of moss, but not quite like that..! :shocked:

Edited by Wanderer
Link to post
Share on other sites
geoxena
Posted (edited)

These were taken today with my phone, and since I didn't want to alarm them by getting too close, I had to zoom in - so they're a little blurry in spots.  I cropped a few shots, too. 

 

Canadian geese and goslings:

IMG_20200506_175734926.jpg.83047e63d36a1c668b2b3dc273feffc1.jpg

 

IMG_20200506_175720129.jpg.078f397b5a514e958ac756d9c76e5b97.jpg

 

IMG_20200506_175718202.jpg.e1c9738af219a1d72bea84e03120d0de.jpg

 

IMG_20200506_175653742.jpg.92c4bbe667d77883db5071af601658f8.jpg

 

Mama keeps watch on her babies while Papa gives me the side-eye:

IMG_20200506_175820583.jpg.d51f5b7e5960376ff1f63683dd366ec2.jpg

 

IMG_20200506_175705867.jpg.365bc3a06fda6740da0b866390a81ece.jpg

 

IMG_20200506_175715474.jpg.90a163cebd773fea0f48c709202b951f.jpg

 

That's an afternoon in suburbia!

 

 

 

Edited by geoxena
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.