Tarot in the Media

Joan Marie

I could only find this on facebook, so apologies to anyone who can't see it. It's a Tarot reading scene from a movie called Avenge the Crows with Danny Trejo. Tarot by Seven posted it because it uses one of her decks. I don't think she makes very good reading decks, but this does look cool as a movie prop.
I like the part at the end where Trejo says, "Well don't leave that bruja sh** here in the bar!" 不 不 不

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3053433981544121

On 5/10/2020 at 7:28 PM, katrinka said:

Well, this might not count (there's a bit of mild horror and suspense, but nothing like the explicit butchering one sees in contemporary gross-out horror), but it's my favorite movie with Tarot ever, so I'm posting it.

Nightmare Alley (1947) is a film adaptation of William Lindsay Greshams novel of the same name. In the book, there are 22 chapters, each named for a Tarot Major. There is also a graphic novel adaptation of the novel that was produced in 2012 by the great underground cartoonist Spain Rodriguez. That's Joan Blondell playing the reader. She did a lot of movies with Cagney, worked with Stanwyck, lots of others - she was great.
Its a fantastic story, and not to be missed.

ARRRRGGGGGH.

They've gone and done a remake:

It looks terrible. They've made it all about that psychiatrist woman, who shouldn't even appear until late in the story and certainly shouldn't have much screen time. Joan Blondell's fortuneteller character, Zeena, has been pushed off to the side and the lady who plays her looks all wrong for the part anyway, like the love child of Gwyneth Paltrow and a very sick cat. And it's going to be full of stupid SFX/computer fakery, which is a sure tipoff that the plot, dialogue and character development will STINK.

They're ruining a masterpiece. I won't be watching it, ever. If anybody does, let us know if you even SAW a Tarot deck in it. That's the only reason to see it, to see how bad they've butchered the story. And I refuse to subject myself to that.

Edited by katrinka

21 hours ago, katrinka said:

The '47 movie is perfection.
The book is also excellent. Disturbing in places, but it's meant to be. Some of the darker stuff was left out of the screenplay, but the story is intact, it's not sanitized. And there's some great performances.

We watched it last night. Decent quality on youtube. All of the actors delivered great performances. (My OH looked it up and said it was Tyrone Power's favorite role, and he had to convince the studio, since he doesn't play a nice person.) I thought it was interesting that amidst all the sleight of hand and fakes, the tarot told the truth. (And I guess the Geek wasn't so fake either, in a way.)Thanks for the rec.

I must be the only one who binge watches this stuff. I even checked on Mary Greer's site to see if she'd listed it. No, she didn't.

In the series Wynonna Earp Season 3 Episode 3 Colder Weather a vampire character uses tarot. Specifically, she uses the Mary El Tarot. The cards are a primary focus in that episode, too. First aired: August 3, 2018,

There is another deck used in a flashback to an earlier time where the first reading set things in motion. That deck I think is a Marseille style deck. I didn't find it as interesting (sorry! lol)

Edited by RunningWild

Just to let everyone know that I have merged two similar threads together about spotting tarot in the media.

I have pinned this combined thread to the top of Tarot in Media. So it's easy for us to all find in future

Do share your tarot and divination spottings on TV / Movies and Computer Games. On old showings / games and new.

Bonus Points if you also can work out the deck used :thumbsup:

42 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Its very stereotypical, as to be expected.

They even got the pseudoarchaic "fayre" in there, lol.
Let us know if they pull the Death card.

Just want to add, sometimes TV and movies are the ones who get it right. The core meaning of Death IS death, end, no more...

7 minutes ago, katrinka said:

They even got the pseudoarchaic "fayre" in there, lol.
Let us know if they pull the Death card.

Just want to add, sometimes TV and movies are the ones who get it right. The core meaning of Death IS death, end, no more...

Oh it has the Death card and the Devil

here, have a few screenshots as tasters

From the intro - the sitter gets very excited to see the Lovers card come up. But right after it comes Death汕

17B8EDA7-7DC1-4DBC-8096-3E00DBBF9E51.thumb.png.6b55f905764d3b51718ecab8574f0b70.png

CED9B69D-8656-4301-8AD8-95DC34EFB44C.thumb.png.83f6a6367019048e3508487aaddbce25.png

30D7F6DE-0D88-42A5-847A-C2F1DE84A9A0.thumb.png.1d42816ebf8d574095f9b409ede64f31.png

and there is a literal The Tower

465168A1-2E17-4BB9-B5D6-3601F6EE6167.thumb.png.9b0c242557c4836bcb0dfc890aec1236.png

1D31B5E5-CCE4-477F-9361-586D937C03C8.thumb.png.5381575193444c415e0e435982f7d327.png

And the good old Thoth is there as well

6C8462C3-DB5A-4225-ACFD-5D96C370E309.thumb.png.824f0826d16bb5edc76632bd761ae387.png

5 minutes ago, fire cat pickles said:

It probably doesn't help that in the title there's "Movies/TV/Video". Perhaps we could have it changed to a simple "in the Media" for a better search option in the future?

Good suggestion! Done!

51 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

And the good old Thoth is there as well

6C8462C3-DB5A-4225-ACFD-5D96C370E309.thumb.png.824f0826d16bb5edc76632bd761ae387.png

The guy even has a vest that coordinates with the deck.

I'm kind of laughing about that, but kind of not. Our image definitely could use an upgrade - do an image search, lots of cheap jewelry and culturally appropriated stuff. Tacky, tacky, tacky.