Sage smudging vs smoke detector

RayOfSunshine

RayOfSunshine

Hi all!

I really am sorry if I posted this topic in the wrong thread, but I really didn't know where else to put it.

So. The thing is, I really love to smudge my Tarot cards with white sage before using them (and other than that, the smudging of a room in general). We have recently moved from a very warm climate to the UK. In the other house (and country), we did not have any smoke alarms/detectors and all the doors and windows were always open, so there wasn't any problem. However, in this house, usually all the doors and windows are closed (except for one window in the kitchen) and all the rooms have smoke alarms/detectors. So I was wondering, how do you guys do your smudging? Just crack the window or the balcony door (in my case) open a bit and start smudging? Does the smoke go towards the open window/door quickly? 

Also worth mentioning, I have an open living plan so the kitchen (where the smoke detector is) is in the same area as my living room. I just REALLY do not want the smoke alarm to go off because of my smudging.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

I have no idea - but in both my homes (UK and Canada) we have smoke detectors, and I use incense a lot (though I don't actually smudge.) They've never gone off just for that.

But I would imagine smoke would go toward an open window quite fast. I don't allow smoking in the house, and I once had a tenant who I caught smoking very close to a window... it didn't set anything off either. (Except my rage.) Does anyone in your home smoke ?

To be blunt, though - there's only one way to find out.

RayOfSunshine

Thank you for your reply, Gregory!

My husband smokes, but absolutely not inside the house. I think I'm going to smudge in our bedroom, which does not have a smoke detector (I just checked thoroughly) with the window wide open and hope for the best. I'll let you know how it went!

I’ve actually had our smoke alarm being set off by regular candles 😆 It was in our small hallway. But I do wood burning at the kitchen table from time to time and that has never caused any problems. Our kitchen/living room is big and spacious so that will of course make it less likely to set of the alarm. 

53rdspirit
5 hours ago, gregory said:

To be blunt, though - there's only one way to find out.

This. 

We have rather sensitive smoke detectors here, so I always smolder resins/herbs next to an open window; however, I don't smudge a room, I'm aiming the smoke at someone/something so out the appropriate directional window is part of the plan.

RayOfSunshine

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

So I've smudged my oracle deck in my bedroom, which didn't have a smoke detector (I found that out after posting). Everything went well, I left the window open quite a bit for the residue smoke to go out. Thanks for all the input!

10 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I’ve actually had our smoke alarm being set off by regular candles

As have I.
And some of them are more properly "heat detectors", and go off if you so much as turn a stove burner on - no smoke needed.
I don't have a solution. I always just end up removing the batteries. Not recommended, I know, but I don't want to deal with the constant screeching.

20 hours ago, katrinka said:

As have I.
And some of them are more properly "heat detectors", and go off if you so much as turn a stove burner on - no smoke needed.
I don't have a solution. I always just end up removing the batteries. Not recommended, I know, but I don't want to deal with the constant screeching.

I’ve had this, too. I think that the wick can sometimes cause it. If I am censing, I prefer to do it outside or by a window.  I’ve not had it set off an alarm but certain charcoals could easily do so. 

Yes, candles smoke just a tiny bit. I'm sure the wick can cause some of the problem.
But the stove burners? I've had it happen with both gas and electric. Neither seems to smoke.

I don't worry about not having functional smoke detectors, BTW. I have two VERY barky dogs who sound the alarm any time something is not the way it normally is!

4 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Yes, candles smoke just a tiny bit. I'm sure the wick can cause some of the problem.
But the stove burners? I've had it happen with both gas and electric. Neither seems to smoke.

I don't worry about not having functional smoke detectors, BTW. I have two VERY barky dogs who sound the alarm any time something is not the way it normally is!

There are several throughout the house. However, they are not the most reliable.

RayOfSunshine

Well the thing is, the smoke detector in our kitchen has never gone off. And it is really close to our hob (it is an induction hob) and, well, I have been producing a good amount of smoke while cooking a few days ago. So nothing happened. And about the smudging itself. I did it in the bedroom this time, with the window wide open. However, the smoke stayed in the bedroom for some time afterwards and I could also smell it in my (training) pants and in my bedsheets. I don't mind that much but my husband is not a big fan of smudging and the smoke 😅 But he does understand why I do it and he doesn't complain about it, haha.

I had my Everyday Tarot Mini's come in yesterday and I cleansed and charged them with my crystals. It felt as the right thing to do. From now on I will try to feel with each deck what they need, smudging or another way of cleansing/charging. My White Sage Tarot is coming in today (sooooo excited!) so we'll see if I have to pull my smudge stick out again or not.

Thanks again for all your input!

Oh Lol.

Well I'd only smudge a little bit and away from the detectors if possible (I haven't thoroughly read through this thread).

But because I have housemates with sensitive noses and asthma - I don't smudge much.

I clap, use a sound bowl, bell, or my favourite - a tuning fork.

Edited by Tanga