The Bohemian Cards (Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten)

Decan

The Bohemian cards which were due to be published this year seem late. At Baba studio they don't speak much about their deck lately (they likely prioritize other projects), and I took a look at Berti's Etsy shop and his 2 decks which seemed to be Bohemian cards (catalog 2021) aren't released yet.

I think I'll stay with my Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten, it is nice, and I have too the Hungarian version (Cigany Kartya), what else!

@Decan Karen mentioned these may be available next year as I presume priority is current VR & considering all shipping & all other delays hat down to everyone who manage to deliver Anything in these crazy times!:)

personally i think selfpublishing is great challenge and effort & totally wort waiting for bit longer!:)

On 5/16/2020 at 7:43 AM, Decan said:

Hi guys,

I open this thread on the Gypsy Cards (Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten) because I decided to study them a bit (it was a temptation for a while!)

There is another deck named "Gypsy cards" by Lo Scarabeo but it is actually a version of the Sibilla Italiana, not this one.

This one is a 36 cards deck, I don't know its history but it developed in central Europe where it seems still widely used.

It is not a Lenormand!

Below a pic of the whole deck (in this version, because it doesn't seem the only version for this deck!).

Baba studio is working on a version of this deck, so people will be more interested in this deck/system in the future I think.

cig%C3%A1nyk%C3%A1rtya.jpg

Do you have an ISBN for this?

I ask because I can not find it anywhere.

DanielJUK

@Sar have a read through some of the posts on the first page, @reall goes through many different decks of this deck type and the pros / cons of them.

Scandinavianhermit

It seems like this particular cartomantic tradition evolved from a nameless 36 card fortune telling deck printed by Industrie Comptoir in Leipzig c. 1818, originally including German suite marks. The 32 card deck is an abbreviation, the 52 card deck an extension.

https://www.wopc.co.uk/tarot/cartomancy-oracle-and-divination-cards/austrian-cartomancy-decks

Akhilleus
On 1/4/2024 at 3:27 AM, Sar said:

Do you have an ISBN for this?

I ask because I can not find it anywhere.

For the Piatnik green box with Cupid that you quoted, the available ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 seem to be 3898756092 and 978-3898756099, respectively. 

2 hours ago, Akhilleus said:

For the Piatnik green box with Cupid that you quoted, the available ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 seem to be 3898756092 and 978-3898756099, respectively. 

Ahh, thank you for answering my question so fast. 

Scandinavianhermit
On 5/17/2020 at 7:15 PM, katrinka said:

I have those. I actually passed my Zigueners on (between the 50's pulp comics art style and the racial stuff with the name, I wasn't using them much) but kept the Biedermeier and the Art Deco.

Good news!

The printing I bought very recently, in order to compare this particular type of 36 card deck with the Lenormand type of 36 card deck, has changed its name to Traditionelle Wahrsagekarten, which is a step demonstrating both a good sense of taste and common decency. Buyers familiar with the dated name will recognise the box, I'm sure. 

On 10/10/2021 at 3:13 PM, reall said:

Happy to share my review for another cartomancy gem I was happy to find in my fav EU Tarot Shop recently!:)

*il vostro destino by Masenghini combine wahrsage meaning printed in italian on each card & lenormand & sibbila style with playing card insert!:) Note: there is odd symbol on playing cards inserts i was wondering what may be until at closer look it resamble naked lady flying on winged orb?:) lol

it's full 52 playing card Bridge size deck with 4 classic suits: hearts spades diamonds clover representing different areas of life &

court cards deck F-Jack, Dama=Queen & Rei=King represent people!:) whimsy cartoony illustrations full of details are my fav!(: see pic attached!:)

cards are printed on plasticky cardstock similar to Piatnik wahrsage that shuffle well & have that sshwush I like!:)

there is also extra blank card & folded instruction in Italian that gives bare basic intro & suit meaning as well as few spreads all in classic tuckbox!^^

I will share some serious readings later but for now i think this may be my fav Pasians aka Solitaire deck as well!^^ lol

il nostro destino 4suits 1 to10.jpg

il vostro destino 4suit courts.jpg

p.s luv this back design as well!:) it seems to be reversable that would indicate this deck use reversals as well?:)

if anyone know about these cards meaning post please!:)

Now, this is gorgeous, I want it.

Scandinavianhermit

I'm beginning to suspect, that the Traditionelle Wahrsagekarten deck is descended from a cartomancy method from Saxony (Sachsen), the former electorate and kingdom, now state, in the east of present Germany.* 'Ordinary' playing cards from Saxony used to depict the dramatic scene from the 'Jealousy' card on Daus of Bells (counterintuitively, an Ace with two suite marks, borrowing the word Deuce from French deux) long before Piatnik decided to design the Traditionelle Wahrsagekarten in their present shape.** I will take a closer look at this, which may take some time. 

* I'm not referring to the very large duchy, which existed in the dark ages and up to the high middle ages. For politicial reasons, that one was divided into many feudal units located in what is now Niedersachsen/Lower Saxony, Sachsen-Anhalt/Saxony Anhalt and Sachsen/Saxony. The label "Saxony" has wandered around on the map over time. If Germans decided to name the present State of Saxony 'Obersachsen' (Upper Saxony), we clueless foreigners would understand geography better. The Saxons who settled in England during the collapse of the Roman Empire presumably came from what is now coastal Lower Saxony, thus the term 'Anglo-Saxon', but the linguists says, that English is most closely related to Frisian.

** I believe Piatnik updated the look of this type of deck at least in the early 1920s and the early 1960s, but I shall take closer look at that, too.