The Bohemian Cards (Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten)

Decan

Below a video that I found which shows most of the decks we talked about in this thread

Edited by Decan

For the Little Czech Oracle, same family of decks, it was created with the paintings of Iva Hüttnerová, a Czech actress, below some other paintings of her (there are often dogs in her paintings!):

Iva Hüttnerová paintings

Just 2 cards in this deck seem different than the other ones: Gossip and Temptations. I found the other cards but at times the images are an interesting variation of the Piatnik (36 cards) or of the Biedermeier (32 cards). For example Fortune (Good Chance here) isn't the Lady with her cornucopia but a "Pierrot" on a roof. I think the card Dissimulation is the card Enemy (from the instructions it is anger around and someone who can harm); since the word in Czech can refer to hypocrisy too, likely it shows a hidden enemy here. I found the card Master (Lord) and Party in the Art Deco (52 cards). The other cards are easier to find; but this brings nuances and another view to understand what are the meanings of these little cards 💜

Edited by Decan

Cool link - there really are a lot of dogs in those! Different kinds. And a few cats, too. I like the 1920's-30's vibe she has going on in a lot of them.

Dissimulation says a lot. The mask is much nicer than her real face. It could be interpreted as just keeping your chin up and acting happy, but there's that iguana. Iguanas, as much as I like them, are cold blooded reptiles.

Capture.JPG.b60a1423cd2bdd91cb2084326341d83a.JPG

Thank you for this thread, @Deacon.  I have a pack of both the Hungarian (blue) and the green Zigeuner wahrsagekarten cards which I bought many years ago in Hungary, but have never really used.  I will check out the links that are in this thread, and hopefully I'll be able to get some more joy out of these cards.

It's something I said elsewhere, so I mention it in this thread too: for the Cigany Kartya they changed a bit the back of cards, actually they added a white border.

The cardstock is unusal, I mean that the back is uncoated (but not the front).

Nevertheless the feeling is good when you use them, and I prefer the drawings in this one than in the Piatnik. Below a pic. So pros and cons...

Cigany%20Kartya.JPG

Edited by Decan

14 minutes ago, Kath said:

I wonder how long ago they changed.

It’s likely something recent in my opinion. Otherwise we can see that you used your cards! Congrats! 🙂

Edited by Decan

It seems that Baba Studio is working on 2 decks, one they are creating (the 2 cards on the right), and one they are restoring (the 2 cards on the left)

baba%20project.JPG

6 hours ago, Decan said:

It seems that Baba Studio is working on 2 decks, one they are creating (the 2 cards on the right), and one they are restoring (the 2 cards on the left)

baba%20project.JPG

Ill have BOTH, please. 😁

Interesting, indeed!

Maybe they plan to offer the 2 decks in a double-compartment box. This would be great!

Edited by Decan

oh! Yes! Seen that post on fb & Happy they decided to print that original vintage edt as well!:D as it's Exactly my cup of tea & fb say that one is 32card deck so I presume similar to my Bidermeier & will work perfect for me!:D as I like my piatnik 36 &54(Art deco) decided but Bidermeier art is meh, lol

they also mention new deck is 36 card so I presume each will be sold separately (with matching guidebook!;) but hopefully in same time (along with VR reprint hopefully?:) so I can have my Happy ny!^^ lol

7 hours ago, Decan said:

Interesting, indeed!

Maybe they plan to offer the 2 decks in a double-compartment box. This would be great!

I'd be all over that. 😁
But they tend not to bundle things together. Like the way their decks and books are always sold separately. The only exception I can think if is the deck + wooden box = pouch you get with the large format decks. I'm guessing everything will be a separate purchase here, with the usual discounts on preorders.

(Hey, look at the date...we're almost in September!)

16 hours ago, katrinka said:

(Hey, look at the date...we're almost in September!)

Oh My, yes! I hate August (with July), the weather is too hot and dry for me, September will be very welcome! And there will be some pleasant updates regarding decks in process.

Edited by Decan

I received two promotional cards of the Baba’s future deck with the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot.

Quite charming! 1 pic below, the cold stamping is really well done.

baba%20sample.JPG

Edited by Decan

Regarding this interesting topic of the Gypsy cards (or "Bohemian cards") I found lately an interesting video about the Art Deco deck oracle (52 cards) which is of the same family. It is a lovely deck, with vibrant colors! The basic meanings of these cards are shortly explained in the video below (most of the cards share the same meanings than the decks of 32 and 36 cards I think). I took note of these keywords since I don't think there is a book for this deck, or I'm not aware about this.

Otherwise, I also heard that Giordano Berti will release an old Gypsy deck of 32 cards this year (with a booklet written by a Russian lady).

Enjoy!

Edited by Decan

On 4/17/2021 at 8:58 AM, Decan said:

Otherwise, I also heard that Giordano Berti will release an old Gypsy deck of 32 cards this year (with a booklet written by a Russian lady).

Regarding what I said here I don't know when it is planned. If someone knows something?

Actually I received a small catalogue of the decks to be published in 2021 (with another deck I bought, a Tarot) and there were a bohemian sibyl (I don't remember the name it will have), but it is an antique deck of 32 cards (unrestored), plus a sustained booklet. Since the booklet will be written by a Russian lady (and I noted that the booklets are worth at his shop), I recognize that I could be interested in the booklet as much as in the deck.

To be continued... but we can imagine an increasing interest here and there about these decks in the future (my opinion).

You know - you could also contact Berti and ask him not to name it that way... though I seem to recall him being rather right wing, so maybe not.

28 minutes ago, gregory said:

You know - you could also contact Berti and ask him not to name it that way... though I seem to recall him being rather right wing, so maybe not.

It's worth trying.
He seems like a nice enough guy, and even if he's a right winger, this is business. It's best to avoid offensive stuff in a business setting, obviously.
He might not even be aware that it's offensive, he'd probably appreciate the heads up.

1 hour ago, gregory said:

I see.

It's really too bad that I didn't keep his catalogue. There are 2 sibyls planned, one is of the family of the Bohemian cards (there are a few emblematic cards like Sweetheart which allow to identify this sort of decks), the other one is different but there is no mention about "gyspy cards" if I remember. Regarding the decks he publishes the card stock isn't regular, some decks are very laminated (shiny) other could be more coated, and other more balanced and good.

Well, I generally don't contact or interact with what people are planning, doing and so on, I just go with the flow and maybe something will be for me, maybe not, time will tell.

Thanks for your advice Gregory.

Edited by Decan

7 minutes ago, katrinka said:

It's worth trying.
He seems like a nice enough guy, and even if he's a right winger, this is business. It's best to avoid offensive stuff in a business setting, obviously.
He might not even be aware that it's offensive, he'd probably appreciate the heads up.

Actually there will be no offense because the title doesn't refer at all to "gypsy cards", I just recognized that it was of this family of decks (for one of them).

Edited by Decan