What's your take on The Empress?

6 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

Hello @AlbaTross

You are more than correct that there was both geographical and cultural difference between the monarchies throughout both Continental and Eastern Europe in the period under consideration. I did not form an opinion from an Eastern European or British perspective.

As far as I am aware, no universal consensus has yet has been reached on the trumps' titles.  If the card does indeed show an empress, then the likeliest model would be the consort to the Holy Roman Emperor which does include a Sforza.  That said, there is also the Byzantine emperors. 

Numerical associations or partner cards are not something I use.  I am not big on binaries:  that is why I did not like Jodorowsky, &c as you end up with Sun/Moon/Male/Female.  The only time I pay attention to numbers is to note advancement , e.g. 2 , 9 , 10 is a sharp ascent which can indicate time, force, &c.  But that is with pips.  

For reading, I focus on the essence of the eikōn and then its function.  I note that she has her arms full (busy), looks directly at us (communication), fills the card (centre), and so on. 

Well, I am a fan of Caterina Sforza, but I don't think that's what you're referring to.  In any case, it is true that I can't think of any ruling empresses of Rome...but I'm also not well-versed in Roman emperors, so that's a part of history that somewhat eludes me...aside from notable ones such as Caesar and Nero, of course.  But yeah, it seems likely The Emperor and Empress were at least inspired by the rulers of Rome, so you're probably right about The Empress being a consort to The Emperor.  

I clearly need to read more books as I'm not sure what an eikon is, but that sounds interesting.  I've been meaning to get more Tarot books, but haven't yet for whatever reason.  

35 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

I clearly need to read more books as I'm not sure what an eikon is, but that sounds interesting.  I've been meaning to get more Tarot books, but haven't yet for whatever reason.  

I don't think I've seen anyone else use it in reference to card images, so you might find google not only fast and inexpensive, but more effective. 😉
Tarot books are subject to Sturgeon's Law, anyway. It's a little tough to sift out the ones worth reading, and a good many of those are not in english.

Edited by katrinka
23 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Well, I am a fan of Caterina Sforza, but I don't think that's what you're referring to.  In any case, it is true that I can't think of any ruling empresses of Rome...but I'm also not well-versed in Roman emperors, so that's a part of history that somewhat eludes me...aside from notable ones such as Caesar and Nero, of course.  But yeah, it seems likely The Emperor and Empress were at least inspired by the rulers of Rome, so you're probably right about The Empress being a consort to The Emperor.  

Hi @AlbaTross

Eikon is the Greek for for icon as in religious icon. Traditionally, these were said to be written rather than painted. Each look, gesture, garment, colour has a significance which combines to tell a story.  Icons are narratives; the cards are the same. However, we often lose the narrative (essence) as we become lost in the symbols.

The Holy Roman Empire was formed in the 10th century, and comprised a group of territories in Italy, Germany, Burgundy and Bohemia. Caterina Sforza was the illegitimate sister of Bianca Maria Sforza who was Empress Consort. 

8 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

Hi @AlbaTross

Eikon is the Greek for for icon as in religious icon. Traditionally, these were said to be written rather than painted. Each look, gesture, garment, colour has a significance which combines to tell a story.  Icons are narratives; the cards are the same. However, we often lose the narrative (essence) as we become lost in the symbols.

The Holy Roman Empire was formed in the 10th century, and comprised a group of territories in Italy, Germany, Burgundy and Bohemia. Caterina Sforza was the illegitimate sister of Bianca Maria Sforza who was Empress Consort. 

I see.  Thanks for informing me.

Ah, so Caterina was just one member of what sounds like a pretty interesting family. 🙂 

I'm usually pleased to see The Empress appearing in a reading. She is often described as a motherly type, but she's more than that to me. I see her as a Mother Goddess, and more specifically as the Earth Mother. It's always nice to have a goddess make an appearance in a reading 🙂 

mistertarot.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.