Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 150 : May 23 - May 29

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a deck (or desks) to work with for the week.

Anyone is welcome. Please join us!

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1. VGimlet - Spacious Tarot

2. Amberjune - Crystal Tarot and the Buddha Wisdom Divine Feminine Cards

3. Aj-ish/Sharyn - Majestic Earth Tarot

4. Bodhiseed - Motherpeace Tarot paired with the Toltec Oracle

5. Raggydoll - Herbcrafter's and Green Wheel + other oracles

6. Mi-Shell - Celtic Oracle

7. Madame Squee - Madam Lydia Wilhelmina’s Tarot and Chronata's Lenormand Stones

(460)

Edited by VGimlet

Thank you for the new thread,  @VGimlet  

This turn I will be working with the Crystal Tarot, a LoScarabeo deck, and the Buddha Wisdom Divine Feminine Cards by Sofan Chan.

The Crystal Tarot has stunning majors, yet I seldom reach for it. Excited to spend some time with it.

AJ-ish/Sharyn

I'll be working with the Majestic Earth Tarot beginning Sunday, a wonderful find via Gregory!  Thanks VG

I'm in with a pair of 'oldies' : Motherpeace Tarot paired with the Toltec Oracle.

Wishing you all a good week ahead! 

I’m in with the herbcrafters (still 😁)! I will likely pair it with different oracles throughout the week but I’m continuing with the Green Wheel today:

36AC9FA2-4C68-4AEF-A4CE-69EC622BEE00.thumb.jpeg.31f4401bf0bf05b6d14fb6a588fe28b4.jpeg

These cards resonate really well. They were pulled as an answer to a question regarding a creative project, and they both emphasize the same thing: balance the bright with the dark; the deep with the light. And that is a perfect approach, I really like having contrasts in the art I make. It’s also very funny to see a magpie because I was thinking about adding a magpie to the artwork!

DBD5557A-5CC9-4485-B426-9C4262B99D01.thumb.jpeg.c2395d1ca1ae5f0b310bd2ca8be7ca9c.jpeg

00E408F1-A580-43DD-946C-8E395A3C488B.thumb.jpeg.6c91c3cc692dfe41435505ad53301c65.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bodhiseed said:

@Raggydoll, the Green Wheel is a lovely oracle, one I'm happy I bought. 🍀🐇

Yes it is. I just tend to not use it as a whole deck but rather separate the animal cards into one deck and use those the most. I don't fully resonate with the lunar cards or with the celtic sabbat cards but those animal cards are lovely! 

This week will be my last one with the Celtic Oracle.

BUT I will compare the C O book meanings with the meanings given to the same Animals in several other Celtic oracles.

Madame Squee

I'm in with Madam Lydia Wilhelmina’s Tarot and Chronata's Lenormand Stones.

Thank you for the thread, VG 🌻

Edited by Madame Squee

From the Motherpeace Tarot, the Three of Swords; from the Toltec Oracle, Koskakuautli:

3%2Bswords_0001.jpgvulture.jpg

My first impression of this Three of Swords was that it looked like a play being performed; indeed, the booklet describes the scene as 'emotional drama created by the mind.' My mind is excellent at creating stories. If I've been deceived or hurt by someone else, I become the righteous one, lily-white, innocent of any part of the wrong. The other person becomes the monster in the story, reeking of manipulation, self-centeredness, and cruelty. Yet somewhere locked in a mental closet is the thought that I too was an actor in this performance. It whispers that there was some payoff for me to keep pretending everything was fine. Koskakuautli, the Vulture and 'elegant cleaner of death,' suggests that there is a time to mourn but there is also a time to take in and recycle what is valuable. Perhaps in hindsight I will see the red flags I ignored, the behaviors I excused, and the enabling I contributed. Everything leans on something else, even if it is passive complicity.

Madame Squee

@Bodhiseed Thank you for your excellent reading on the Motherpeace 3 of Swords this morning. I have such respect for your ability to get a helpful relatable message out of any card. 

Madame Squee

This week: Madam Lydia Wilhelmina's Tarot of Monsters, the Macabre and Autumn Scenes by Bethalynne Bajema.

I've settled Madam Lydia into a fold-over pouch I made last Halloween. It's going well. 

Madam Lydia 0 & pouch.JPG

Madam Lydia VIII & pouch.JPG

AJ-ish/Sharyn

that pouch is brilliant! Every time I hear mention of this deck I rush off and look at it. I am especially struck by the winsome melancholy of the 5 of coins. 

I recently turned one of my reading cloths into a Grand Tableau Lenormand reading cloth 🙂 They cost a fortune on etsy, and can't get into craft stores to get a big piece of posterboard... worked great. Although I ended up with a big blob of silver ink in one spot. Life is full of blobs, can't let it stop us! 

Lenormand Grand May 2020.jpg

Madame Squee

This week: Madam Lydia Wilhelmina's Tarot of Monsters, the Macabre and Autumn Scenes by Bethalynne Bajema.

My cards for the day are The Sun and 9 of Cups. Such a propitious pair! 

In February, as quick as the flame on the birthday candles died, I realized I had neglected to form my annual wish clearly in my mind prior to putting my lips together and blowing. So, I'm taking this granted wish for my [birthday wish] re-do. Yes, I can do that. [Because the Sun card is my birth card.]

The 9 of Cups is subtitled "September's Oracle" and has a verse in the small companion book: 

"Approach and be humble, the oracle will see you now.

Approach and rejoice, you may just get what you want."

The Sun is called "The Broken Doll Collective". No verse. 

I really need to get the full companion handbook. (But I blew my discretionary funds on junk journal supplies this month AND next month, to be honest.)

ETA: I forgot earlier to include that the Sun card is my birth card, which prompted my train of thought.

Madame Lydia XIX & 9C.jpg

Edited by Madame Squee
clarification

Madame Squee
4 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

that pouch is brilliant! Every time I hear mention of this deck I rush off and look at it. I am especially struck by the winsome melancholy of the 5 of coins. 

I recently turned one of my reading cloths into a Grand Tableau Lenormand reading cloth 🙂 They cost a fortune on etsy, and can't get into craft stores to get a big piece of posterboard... worked great. Although I ended up with a big blob of silver ink in one spot. Life is full of blobs, can't let it stop us! 

AJ!!! What a perfect grand tableau cloth! I think a cloth is so much more easier to work with than poster board. You can fold it and wash it, and the cards won't skitter around. Plus, your printing looks so beautiful with those Malpertuis cards. (Aren't they magnificent?!!!) Shopping at home is where it's at! You've got a winner!

Edited by Madame Squee
for clarity

Madame Squee
4 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Yes. The subtitle and verse fit the 5 of Coins well...

Last Moments Before the Cold

A lingering moment of warm breeze, a hint of apple

elder fills it, and the hope that things will get better. 

(Bethalynne Bajema)

I looked in on Bethalynne's blog yesterday. Did you see it? She's doing so much better.

https://atticcartomancy.com/cards/personal-bruhah/its-alive-err-i-mean-shes-alive/

@Madame Squee, thank you for the kind words. 💚 That deck you're using is wild - especially the Strength card! The pumpkin-headed Fool with the sword stuck in her skirt made me laugh.

@AJ-ish/Sharyn, you are so creative. I'm having deck lust every day looking at the Majestic Earth that you're using on your blog this week. 😄

AJ-ish/Sharyn
14 hours ago, Madame Squee said:

I looked in on Bethalynne's blog yesterday. Did you see it? She's doing so much better.

https://atticcartomancy.com/cards/personal-bruhah/its-alive-err-i-mean-shes-alive/

she must have gone to bed again before listing anything, still says sold out. I'm so glad she is regaining her health however fragile. perhaps she will have more printed. I really need to sup from the de-enable thread, there are a lot of cards I don't like. But that 5 of coins... and I need a halloween deck. and, and, and,...

Madame Squee

@AJ-ish/Sharyn I need to make a list of all the decks I bought for one card. I finally had to flip the script and start looking for the card I cannot bear. When I find it, I can walk away with no regrets. 

Re: Bethalynne's post on 4/20/20. I was afraid of that, too, but reading her post gave me so much hope for her recovery. 

Edited by Madame Squee

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Laughs. I've never been one to worry about seeing all the cards in a deck before I buy. But I did have 5 years in a black abyss where I never knew if I was even going to make it through the day, so did no deck buying. Now that I'm feeling better, well since last year, I've found a lot of decks that went right over my head, particularly kickstarter ones. I've been very lucky to find some of them, and you, my Green Thothie and Tarot Egyptian source, and no doubt several more over the years. Compatriots in the journey is a fine thing. thank you again for those. 

Coming any time now, when shipping comes to it's senses is the little dinosaurs ones, and a nature one from Canada and the upcoming chemical elements by the Pagan Otherworlds folks some time this fall. Probably way over my head but so well thought out and stunning in it's effects. So many decks so little time. 

Madame Squee

@AJ-ish/Sharyn Thank you! I love being a compatriot in the journey! And I am so excited you are awaiting new decks! That's a sure sign of recovery. I've never really stopped acquisitions although I slowed way down a couple of years ago after I gathered all of my decks and books into one room. My plan initially was to create a Tarot/Sewing Room, thinking my sewing machine could easily share the space. It's a whole room! Ha! I still sew on the living/dining room table. So, now my strategy is just to keep everything tarot related in one room. To that end, I try to remain oblivious to Kickstarters and such. Then, if someone here happens to mention something irresistible, I go look for that bad card -- unless I forget, which happens more often than not. (Note to self: go check on the little dinosaur one.)

Well, I did quite enjoy my now 3 weeks with the Celtic Oracle by Gerry M Thompson

cards.jpg.0241408c969ab5ecc00983c5537823c0.jpg

As mentioned, this week I did compare the meanings given to the Animal Cards - and to a lesser degree the meanings given to the Plants with meanings appointed to the same Animals in other Celtic decks.

I am pleased to say, that I found them short accurate and consistently close aligned with what Celtic scholars are writing about the Animals  of the Celtic realm. Several other decks I compared  were sometimes more in dept and backed up the meanings with lore and legends (Mathews,  C. Potter, Worthington's Druid Animal Oracle to just name a few. 🙂

Then there was also the "Wisdom  of Avalon Oracle deck", that professes its Celtic origin but sadly the Animals it contains were all described in a New Age/ Native American / Chinese Zodiac  hodgepodge.

Some Animals very important in the Celtic lore and history were missing altogether - like Bear, Wolf and Boar. - But we have a Wasp - ? 

A pretty deck, but disappointing 😞

On 5/25/2020 at 1:17 PM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

THAT is a very beautiful deck, @AJ-ish/Sharyn!

And I love, that you made a reading cloth!

I do have the Red and Blue Owl Lenormand but have never realllly done much with it - maybe I should stick my nose into it some time?

At my first explorations of Lenormand reading style, I balked at the very firm, set into stone meanings of the individual cards.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.