Raggydoll

Article: How to spot a fake deck and why it matters

Raggydoll
52 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

well they are obviously only reading the backs so safe from deviants, and they've both drawn the same hands. Photoshop..and a world full of idiots. 

Yes and I am pretty sure the girl just said “go fish!” 😁😉

geoxena

And they're both holding the exact same cards in the exact same order in their hands!  People fall for this?

katrinka

I don't think he actually means for people to think it's real. If you look at the other shopped photos on his site, you get an idea of his sense of humor. 😉

geoxena

Oh, I thought that photo was one he found at a counterfeiter's site.  You're saying he created it to make his point?

devin
15 hours ago, geoxena said:

Oh, I thought that photo was one he found at a counterfeiter's site.  You're saying he created it to make his point?

Don't worry, I also missed the point. It's the back of the class for us.

Edited by devin

Decan

Maybe the Cigany Kartya I bought lately from Hungary (eBay) is a fake.

Looking at a few reviews on Youtube I saw that the back has no white borders on the videos, mine has. The cardstock is unusual otherwise, no lamination at all for the backs, but the other side is slightly laminated (not much, varnished). It's always possible that the publisher changed a bit the back though.

Well, when it came I thought it could be normal since I saw that the back of cards wasn't wonderful for this one and I didn't expect a great quality, but...

For the instructions which comes with it it's a copy-pasted of the Piatnik's LWB!

cigany%20kartya.JPG

Edited by Decan

katrinka

This blogger has one with the borderless backs and says: "The cards themselves are thin stock and the front only is coated, the back feels definitely uncoated which probably adds to the flimsiness."

It's hard to day for sure, though. Is there a publisher named anywhere on the deck?

Raggydoll

I’ve had a genuine deck that had one uncoated side and one coated. I can’t remember which deck it was (I suspect it’s no longer in my collection). It got badly warped because of the partial coating. That really bugged me. I think it must have been an indie deck. I wonder why on earth they do that. Maybe it’s cheaper? 🤷‍♀️

Decan
1 minute ago, katrinka said:

This blogger has one with the borderless backs and says: "The cards themselves are thin stock and the front only is coated, the back feels definitely uncoated which probably adds to the flimsiness."

It's hard to day for sure, though. Is there a publisher named anywhere on the deck?

Yes, KVIZ a hungarian publisher I didn't know.

But what you mentioned fits, it's the cardstock I have, and the image definition is good. Maybe I become a bit paranoid and the publisher just changed a bit the design for the backs.

Decan
1 minute ago, Raggydoll said:

I’ve had a genuine deck that had one uncoated side and one coated. I can’t remember which deck it was (I suspect it’s no longer in my collection). It got badly warped because of the partial coating. That really bugged me. I think it must have been an indie deck. I wonder why on earth they do that. Maybe it’s cheaper? 🤷‍♀️

Absolutely it's odd to do that!

TarotHen

Piracy is a huge problem across a lot of artistic fields. I used to design cross stitch designs but packed it in because the pirates had them uploaded mere hours after they were released. Some people just don’t care that they are stealing from artists.