Decks Created by Black, Indigenous, and/or other People of Color

Raggydoll

25 minutes ago, devin said:

I see you've got the Goddess Oracle Deck on the list. Is that the same as the Afro Goddess Oracle Deck? https://theafrogoddessconnection.com/collections/frontpage/products/afro-goddess-oracle-preorder

It has to be. I changed the title, thanks! I believe there is both an oracle and a tarot with that same name! 

The Star Spinner Tarot is inclusive of different races and sexual orientations, and its creator Trung Le Nguyen (aka Trungles) is Asian-American.

Edited by geoxena

Also, I just came across an old interview with Stuart Kaplan, in which he describes some decks he's particularly proud of publishing:

"Another deck he spoke about was The Native American Tarot. “The creator, Magda Weck Gonzalez, is descended from Shawnee Indians on her mother’s side, and her father was Boston Irish,” he recounted. “She wrote me in November 1981, asking if U. S. Games Systems would consider publishing a Tarot deck that her husband was planning to paint under her direction. Magda had studied the folklore and occult beliefs of her ancestors. Three months later, the Gonzalezes arrived in New York from Kentucky, and presented me with the original art on seventy-eight pieces of photocopy paper. Magda’s husband, who goes by the initials J.A., had prepared all the artwork in ink outline and colored pencil.” "

https://www.usgamesinc.com/Stephen-Winick-Interviews-Stuart-Kaplan.html

It's still available at US Games.  So, I think The Native American Tarot deck can be added to the list.

50 minutes ago, geoxena said:

Also, I just came across an old interview with Stuart Kaplan, in which he describes some decks he's particularly proud of publishing:

"Another deck he spoke about was The Native American Tarot. “The creator, Magda Weck Gonzalez, is descended from Shawnee Indians on her mother’s side, and her father was Boston Irish,” he recounted. “She wrote me in November 1981, asking if U. S. Games Systems would consider publishing a Tarot deck that her husband was planning to paint under her direction. Magda had studied the folklore and occult beliefs of her ancestors. Three months later, the Gonzalezes arrived in New York from Kentucky, and presented me with the original art on seventy-eight pieces of photocopy paper. Magda’s husband, who goes by the initials J.A., had prepared all the artwork in ink outline and colored pencil.” "

https://www.usgamesinc.com/Stephen-Winick-Interviews-Stuart-Kaplan.html

It's still available at US Games.  So, I think The Native American Tarot deck can be added to the list.

Thank you! I can't believe I have never heard about it before! I have added it to the list and I thought I would also share some pictures of it (from US games website, linked above). I really like it!

NA78_5_1.thumb.jpg.c9dfa6c99d117f94f5bf59d4708e1d37.jpg

NA78_4_1.thumb.jpg.1cd8c22b5f3b252aad386bf7f7b3bb29.jpg

I believe this is the card back - stunning!

NA78_7_1.thumb.jpg.08ff078938d1ce22e3a11b2ba6dcc501.jpg

3 hours ago, geoxena said:

The Star Spinner Tarot is inclusive of different races and sexual orientations, and its creator Trung Le Nguyen (aka Trungles) is Asian-American.

Thank you, adding it!

The creators website , and here are some pictures that I found on amazon

81qs8hmzQzL.thumb.jpg.378a66941d1e77d213552b903babd51c.jpg

81C3GCkgngL.thumb.jpg.57bca8efcaf11e78177b96be701b1ff4.jpg

71VRtRqA2CL.thumb.jpg.383f08a0c2f4da48b2849a0da300eb8b.jpg

28 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Thank you, adding it!

The creators website , and here are some pictures that I found on amazon

Yep, and there's a few more to see in my post on your other thread, here:

I believe I got those images I posted there from his website.

Manzel Bowman does amazing work, and there were Tarots available here. There's even a holographic deck:
https://manzel.my-free.website/
Alas, if you try to purchase, they come up as unavailable. But I'm sure one could hunt down copies on the secondhand market.
More on Manzel:
https://afropunk.com/2015/03/art-moving-towards-abstraction-the-work-of-digital-artist-manzel-bowman/

29 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Manzel Bowman does amazing work, and there were Tarots available here. There's even a holographic deck:
https://manzel.my-free.website/
Alas, if you try to purchase, they come up as unavailable. But I'm sure one could hunt down copies on the secondhand market.
More on Manzel:
https://afropunk.com/2015/03/art-moving-towards-abstraction-the-work-of-digital-artist-manzel-bowman/

Lovely! 

Here are some pics from their site (the colored vs the black/white are two different editions):

446120d6512c47bcadf479631f991e00.thumb.jpg.1afdc61d1038f86fe61754f79aa851fc.jpg

ba230484c1c44333a8f17d6bd94504c7.thumb.jpg.c0faa4310172da07119363e0cc034952.jpg

428ef529eb4345e488ae6187fc5d15db.thumb.jpg.51f22d01a48f2ebbb61fa7a3ac915b12.jpg

57c6a880de874378a434431616f303d0.thumb.jpg.c159016a9c5cca62c50c8bd332600da3.jpg

4 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

Another valid candidate is the Oracle of the Dreamtime.

All the artists are Aboriginal;

Thank you, I added it! 

This deck hasn’t been released yet but I thought I’d still feature it. It is created by the actress Rachel True from the cult movie The Craft. I’m also linking an interview where she talks about her lifelong passion for tarot as well as her experiences with being a black actress in Hollywood. Definitely worth the read and I’m really excited about this deck. 

40DD5B5A-E657-49B3-9642-74D54C26090C.thumb.jpeg.b83b4e493f5606eec02d14e3b817d765.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/True-Heart-Intuitive-Tarot-Guidebook/dp/1328566269

https://www.dazeddigital.com/beauty/soul/article/44374/1/teen-witch-tarot-the-craft-rachel-true?fbclid=IwAR1zbqyFZAPOe_2fEuM2UHAyYR1M02FlwdW_MHiHSQRuMTppak_H3BG3hlA

Wow. I never knew she was into Tarot.
The Craft is underrated, I think. There's some fine acting in that one. Fairuza Balk's character is one of those antiheroines that people like, even though she's pretty horrible. Not the easiest thing to pull off! Rachel's character is more subtle, but flawlessly played.

I can't think of anyone else in the film industry who did a deck. I think this is a first.

38 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Wow. I never knew she was into Tarot.
The Craft is underrated, I think. There's some fine acting in that one. Fairuza Balk's character is one of those antiheroines that people like, even though she's pretty horrible. Not the easiest thing to pull off! Rachel's character is more subtle, but flawlessly played.

I can't think of anyone else in the film industry who did a deck. I think this is a first.

I think it’s a great movie. And I’m pleasantly surprised to hear that one of them actually had a personal interest in witchcraft and tarot reading. Makes it even better. I will have to try and rewatch this movie. I haven’t seen it since the 90s. 

high school GIF

I just want to note that the Black Power Tarot arrived today in a little packet from Brooklyn. It comes in a sturdy box, the print quality is excellent, and it's linen. 💝
And besides all that, the first person I saw when I opened the box was Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Very auspicious!

00bpt.thumb.jpg.96b09757b91c6431b8b23105aa8fa298.jpg

Here is a list of everyone on the cards:

LE MAT - Fool - Richard Pryor
I LE BATELEUR - Magician - Black Herman
II LA PAPESSE - High Priestess - Marie Laveau
III LIMPERATRICE - Empress - Nina Simone
IIII L'EMPEROR - Emperor - Howling Wolf
V LE PAPE - Pope - Rev. Johnny L. Jones
VI LAMOUREVX - Lover- James Brown, Irma Thomas and Etta James
VII LE CHARIOT - Chariot- Little Richard
VIII LA JUSTICE - Justice - Eartha Kitt
VIIII L'HERMITE - Hermit - Philip Kelan Cohran
X LA ROVE DE FORTVNE - Wheel of Fortune - Three Malcolm X's: Malcolm "Detroit Red" Little, Malcolm X and El Hajj Malik El Shabazz
XI LA FORCE - Strength - Tina Turner
XII LE PENDU - Hanged Man - Tupac Shakur
XIII - Death - HR from Bad Brains
XIIII - TEMPERANCE - Temperance- Curtis Mayfield
XV - Devil - Screamin Jay Hawkins
XVI - LA MAISON DIEU - Tower - Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley
XVII - L'ETOILE - Star - Alice Coltrane
XVIII - LA LUNE - Moon - Billie Holiday
XVIIII LE SOLEIL - Sun - Sun Ra
XX LE JUDGEMENT - Judgement - Erykah Badu and Andre 3000
XXI LE MONDE - World - Sister Rosetta Tharpe

00bpt2.thumb.jpg.0add6c85f8bf7de31a51f3f57973d178.jpg

Edited by katrinka

Beautiful deck, probably my favorite of those posted here. I didn't know it was musicians and personalities. There is however a big omission - George Clinton and Mothership! Then again, maybe he/they deserve their own deck in the style of Papus or Wirth.

Edited by devin

Thanks to the Little Red Tarots newsletter I was able to add two more decks to our list:

Melanade Stand's tarot and the New Orleans Oracle deck

The first one is a contemporary photographic tarot deck. I took a screenshot from the creators page so you can get an idea:

1283766834_Untitled1.thumb.jpg.44d9bc19d506ae75b821539d883b02ac.jpg

The New Orleans oracle deck is completely different in style (also a screenshot from the creators site):

1161357467_Untitled2.thumb.jpg.08d412d4e5043d2c9468d815770e5d61.jpg

@devin I could definitely get behind a P Funk Tarot.
Pedro Bell would be the man to do that. Unfortunately, we lost him in 2019.
So I don't know if there's an artist out there who's up to it.
True, just about any competent artist could nail that style. But is there anyone left who can come up with this kind of stuff?
http://lodownmagazine.com/features/pedro-bell

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

Pedro Bell would be the man to do that. Unfortunately, we lost him in 2019.

Oh yes, yes, yes. I can't but shake the feeling that a great wave of talent is currently leaving the world. The end of an era. We're all poorer for it and I'm not sure if it will ever quite be replaced.

Anyway, the Pedro Bell tarot, I can feel it.

outer-cover_0.jpg?itok=AZ_BUzA-

10 hours ago, devin said:

Oh yes, yes, yes. I can't but shake the feeling that a great wave of talent is currently leaving the world. The end of an era. We're all poorer for it and I'm not sure if it will ever quite be replaced.

Yes. There's some staggeringly good new artists out there who aren't being seen or heard. The music industry, for one, has changed considerably and tends to ignore talent in favor of marketability. They want the pretty people, that's their priority. Maybe it's the same for visual artists. And speaking for myself, I'm old enough to have to guard against "They don't make it like they did back in my day" type thinking. Maybe it's there and we don't get the opportunity to see or hear it.  But it's the same end result: the world is drying up. It feels bleak and barren in that sense.

10 hours ago, devin said:

Anyway, the Pedro Bell tarot, I can feel it.

Yes!
I think it would be difficult and expensive to secure permission to use his images, but if the right artist is out there, someone who can capture the essence of his work without copying...