No humans in sight

I'm wondering about decks that don't depict humans, besides animal-centric decks. For example, the Tyldwick and the Spacious Tarot are themed around spaces.

Tell me about the decks you like (or don't like) in this vein! :D Whether they show objects, places, or whatever else, I'd love to know what's out there.

The Apesos tarot (by US painter Anthony Apesos) is an eerie anomaly of a deck. I have trouble thinking of it as a tarot deck at all. But it has three whole suits dedicated to paintings of empty nature and/or buildings/ruins — Light, Wood & Stone, and History.  You can see part of the deck images here and buy it here.  Here are a couple of examples — you can easily see what I mean:

IMG_6967.thumb.JPG.bf566694ee3be0ba9e649a0abc1d119f.JPG

IMG_6972.thumb.JPG.5d6f42acec776d913d9794c9399705b7.JPG

IMG_7396.thumb.JPG.c087047d8196aeda70aed4d7a75b0b22.JPG

It's very intensely solitary. Even the cards that have people in them, the human figures are usually totally, intensely isolated within nature, or they're in some kind of deeply tense relationship to nature or the other people around them. It feels on some level like the whole deck is liminal space. It makes me feel some kinda way.

katrinka
Posted (edited)

I like the images. They don't feel particularly Tarot-y to me, but other than a few like the swaddled baby at the base of the tree, they don't feel particularly eerie, either. They feel comfortable and familiar, like things you see IRL when you get away from urban sprawl, strip malls, etc. I really like the art, but I'm not sure it's a reading deck. I'll look into it further. Thanks!

Edited by katrinka
5 hours ago, katrinka said:

I like the images. They don't feel particularly Tarot-y to me, but other than a few like the swaddled baby at the base of the tree, they don't feel particularly eerie, either. They feel comfortable and familiar, like things you see IRL when you get away from urban sprawl, strip malls, etc. I really like the art, but I'm not sure it's a reading deck. I'll look into it further. Thanks!

So - which card do you think the baby is ? I have looked at several, and can't tie them to tarot at all, lovely photos though they are.

katrinka
4 hours ago, gregory said:

So - which card do you think the baby is ? I have looked at several, and can't tie them to tarot at all, lovely photos though they are.

Same here.
Babies are new, and there's a tree...maybe the Ace of Wands? Or it could be about abandonment...
I have no clue.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far! I had no idea there were so many decks using places.

I didn't know about this specific Tarot of the Trees, though I know there's a lot of plant-themed decks out there. They definitely count as what I'm talking about.

15 minutes ago, Decan said:

The 5-Cent Tarot has no human at all in it (plants-flowers, insects/animals and objects only).

The Fantastic Menagerie won’t have too since the figures will be «humanimals» if I  can say that.

Well I just got enabled. That 5-Cent deck is gorgeous and I couldn't resist it. 

Ha, it's fine, @Decan! I was just asking out of curiosity. The only reason why I said no animal-centric decks is that they already get a lot of discussions and themed lists :) The Fantastic Menagerie is actually on my wishlist, I just love the art and the concept!

Niobium

In the botanical category, there's Bottanical Deck, which is a combined Oracle+Tarot, as well as the Botanica Tarot, which was just funded and is still in production.

There's also the Antique Anatomy Tarot, which is a combination of things and plants.

There's the Weaver Tarot by Threads of Fate; this does have hands and eyes, but as symbols. It comes in two types, Journeyer and Ascendant.

katrinka
5 hours ago, dust said:

Ha, it's fine, @Decan! I was just asking out of curiosity. The only reason why I said no animal-centric decks is that they already get a lot of discussions and themed lists 🙂 The Fantastic Menagerie is actually on my wishlist, I just love the art and the concept!

That's a wonderful, wickedly funny deck, and it reads true. I think you'll love it. :herz:

40 minutes ago, katrinka said:

That's a wonderful, wickedly funny deck, and it reads true. I think you'll love it. :herz:

I think I'd love it too! Unfortunately, if they don't do a non-limited run that's slightly more affordable it's going to be a bit out of my price range. But I can dream!

katrinka
8 minutes ago, dust said:

I think I'd love it too! Unfortunately, if they don't do a non-limited run that's slightly more affordable it's going to be a bit out of my price range. But I can dream!

I get that. I've missed some Baba editions over the years when the wolf was at the door. All of their decks are limited runs. I was lucky enough to be flush when a subsequent edition was released, so I have everything in one form or another. But they do change some of the cards. I'd love to have one of the early Bohemian Gothics, but I couldn't justify paying ebay prices, even if I had that kind of spare cash lying around!

The Victorian Flower Oracle has people in it, but it's essentially a plant deck, and, like the Fantastic Menagerie, it's J.J. Grandville's art. I think it's due for a reprint, it would be glorious with cold stamping! http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/victorian-flower-oracle/

13 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I get that. I've missed some Baba editions over the years when the wolf was at the door. All of their decks are limited runs. I was lucky enough to be flush when a subsequent edition was released, so I have everything in one form or another. But they do change some of the cards. I'd love to have one of the early Bohemian Gothics, but I couldn't justify paying ebay prices, even if I had that kind of spare cash lying around!

The Victorian Flower Oracle has people in it, but it's essentially a plant deck, and, like the Fantastic Menagerie, it's J.J. Grandville's art. I think it's due for a reprint, it would be glorious with cold stamping! http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/victorian-flower-oracle/

That's a bummer. I'm guessing their decks also always include bells and whistles like the special box? It would be good if they sold just the deck, at least. Hopefully they'll print it again at some point in the future -- especially with this being a difficult time because of the pandemic and all.

The Victorian Flower Oracle is so pretty! I can't imagine using it but it needs a nice deluxe edition or something!

katrinka
1 hour ago, dust said:

That's a bummer. I'm guessing their decks also always include bells and whistles like the special box? It would be good if they sold just the deck, at least. Hopefully they'll print it again at some point in the future -- especially with this being a difficult time because of the pandemic and all.

The Victorian Flower Oracle is so pretty! I can't imagine using it but it needs a nice deluxe edition or something!

You get a sturdy clamshell box with the regular editions. The large format decks come with a wooden box and a silk foldover pouch.
They had some Bohemian Gothics that somehow ended up with damage to the boxes, so they sold the decks at a substantial discount. No box, but a lot of us like to bag our decks anyway. It's worth checking the site occasionally, you never know what might pop up there. 😉 

geoxena
Posted (edited)

@dust, I just came across a deck which apparently has no human figures on any of the cards, called Elemental Power Tarot.  It's not out yet, so you'll have to do some research to see if it's something you'd be into.  Some cards are on Amazon and look interesting to me.  The deck's not expensive and is available for pre-order on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Power-Tarot-64-page-illustrated/dp/1782499229/

Edited by geoxena
Niobium

Oooooh I like what I can see of this one...may need to wait until it's out, though. because I'm leery of buying decks without seeing the minors.

katrinka
On 7/6/2020 at 5:09 AM, gregory said:

I got curious enough to just buy the thing. And the baby is a Major titled "Beginning". Not necessarily an auspicious beginning, from the looks of it, but hopefully someone will find the baby before it's too late.

I can't reconcile it with any standard Tarot like Waite Smith, Thoth, or Marseilles. It seems to be following a Tarot structure in the sense that there are four suits of 14 cards each, and 22 Majors, but beyond that, it's doing its own thing.
The art is intriguing. It's interesting and different. I'll take pictures later when there's more light and post them.