Guest Night Shade

How do you start reading the cards in a spread?

Guest Night Shade

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=124558

by MareSaturni

I've been feeling curious about that.

I've read some books that give contradictory ideas. Like, it's best if you turn one card at time, explain it, and then move to the next. But the same book advices you to see all card at the beginning, so you can see the 'mood' of the reading, do all the elemental dignity yadda yadda that will help you to know if a card is well placed or not, before reading the card itself.

Confusing. How will you see all the card and feel the overall mood of your spread if they are all face down?

But it got me curious...how do you start the reading? Why have you chosen this method? Do you analyze the relationships between the cards before giving their meaning to the sitter or while doing so?

C'mon...indulge me! I wanna know you personal style

Guest Night Shade

I always deal the cards face down, then turn them up one by one as I go along.  This makes it a bit easier to focus on each card's individual meaning in its position in the spread.  Once I've gone through each card, I look at the spread as a whole, to see if I can find a unifying theme.  I take both the individual meanings and the overall meaning into account when summing up the reading. 

I always deal the cards face down, then turn them up one by one as I go along.  This makes it a bit easier to focus on each card's individual meaning in its position in the spread.  Once I've gone through each card, I look at the spread as a whole, to see if I can find a unifying theme.  I take both the individual meanings and the overall meaning into account when summing up the reading.

Me too, exactly this.  :D  As I turn the card, I ask the question of the spread position again and often as soon as my eyes see the card a few words or a phrase pops into my head and there's my answer. Often I see something starting to emerge, a pattern or a reinforcing message as all the cards turn and that gives an overall basis for the reading.

When reading my Mexican La Loteria cards this method works very well as turning all the cards at once, when the images are so so simple, seems to give me a different and sometimes confused message. Best to draw face down and turn and read one by one.

A <3

So glad you started this thread Night Shade.

l have never ever used a spread,  so this may sound a bit dumb, but when you do use a spread of 5 or more cards etc. asking about particular things, do you shuffle for each question.  Or do you just shuffle the once and hope it answers the questions in the spread  ::)

Hope that's clear confusing myself a bit  :biggrin:

Guest Night Shade

l have never ever used a spread,  so this may sound a bit dumb, but when you do use a spread of 5 or more cards etc. asking about particular things, do you shuffle for each question.  Or do you just shuffle the once and hope it answers the questions in the spread  ::)

I just shuffle the cards once, then deal out all of the cards for the spread.  The cards generally fall into the right positions, and I can usually get a clear answer.

I deal the cards face up, and the first thing I do is look for patterns (numerology, elemental, and visual such as direction cards are facing).  I work out the patterns, then I go card by card in relation to its spread position and possible influences from other cards, and then I summarize the reading blending the meanings and patterns.

I just shuffle the cards once, then deal out all of the cards for the spread.  The cards generally fall into the right positions, and I can usually get a clear answer.

Thanks l will try a few spread and see how it goes.  You have made that very clear for me  :)

I lay out all the cards face up and get an overview first.  How many Majors?  How many of each suit?  Anything missing?

Then I tend to start at the Majors because those are a big focus, and then I tie the pieces together with the minors.

I've always gone for dealing one card and thinking about that before shuffling again and moving on to the next one.

That has been my thinking too,  only because  a spread  can be dealing with different questions within it.  Just wanted some clarity on how you shuffle for a multi question spread.

Perhaps l should try one shuffle for the whole spread and see how it reads, then do a shuffle for each card,  l may come to a conclusion, or not  :))

Just wanted to know how others do the shuffle for a spread.  l suppose with tarot there is no right or wrong.

I put them all face up. I don't actually "read normal" but I do use an excellent cheat sheet for scanning the read as a whole before going into detail that Barbara Moore put together for a workshop ages ago. I will ask her if it's OK to post it here.  (I will actually ask her to sign up here... though she is very busy these days.

I put them all face down, then turn them over one at a time reading the question. Depending on the spread I go right to left in order. After all are facing up, I re-read the entire spread to find a pattern.

This is exactly what I do!  :thumbsup:

However, I do draw each card individually, rather than dealing them (referring to later comment)... but that's a bit of a different question, really.

This answer is just how it works for me. We're all different as readers and finding how things work for yourself is really the best way. I don't want anyone thinking I'm casting aspersions on other readers.

I've tried both ways and found that face up is best for my readings. Turning over just one card at a time is like taking a sentence and looking at just one word at a time without seeing the whole sentence. For me, the whole spread is best to see what the cards are really saying. I also like background surrounding the question if there's a specific question. And participation from dialogue with the sitter is good, too, just to throw those in there.

When I tried this it was several years ago. Maybe I'll give face down a try again just for sport..I won't try it with a client, but just on my own.

OK - I do use this at times, even though I "read weird". Barbara said I could post it here; it's a great way to do a sort of sweeping look over a spread before you start to go into detail. But you do need all the cards face up !

It seems you can't attach pdfs here, so:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/letn2fujkhehnhu/Scanning%20Cheat%20Sheet.pdf?dl=0

Hi gregory :)  Appreciate you contacting Ms. Moore and posting this.  Looks very handy and I have a tendency to "forget things" anyway, so I NEED this!

I've always gone for dealing one card and thinking about that before shuffling again and moving on to the next one.

That has been my thinking too,  only because  a spread  can be dealing with different questions within it.  Just wanted some clarity on how you shuffle for a multi question spread.

Perhaps l should try one shuffle for the whole spread and see how it reads, then do a shuffle for each card,  l may come to a conclusion, or not  :))

Just wanted to know how others do the shuffle for a spread.  l suppose with tarot there is no right or wrong.

The way I handle a multi-question reading is to give it a topic, like  what's the matter with my relationship? And then I could put down cards for the different parts of the relationship to see what would be the probable trouble.

My relationship isn't happy and healthy, so what would the problems be:

And then itemize and draw cards for each aspect---

Sexual

Philosophical

Resentments

Hopefully you get the idea. I know those are probably lame areas but humor me.

For me, it's been very helpful to nail down specific questions and then to use named positions in a case like that.

There's also the three cards for what if I do and three cards for what if I don't if you're trying to decide whether to take a certain action or not.

I know it's always recommended to new readers to have them just lay out three cards and see the story in them. I've had my new readers do that myself at first. But only during the very early phase of learning the cards. Then it's a question that's precise and named positions that I recommend. I think of the 'just draw cards'  as puddles. You just pour out some cards and see what they say, which isn't the most practical or expedient way to read. At least not for me and not for people I've helped learn.

My least favorite is when somebody just wants a general reading. l usually get that from first time sitters. I'll do the reading but it would be so much more precise and informative if they had something specific in mind. And usually they do have something in mind, but that doesn't come out until the reading is under way.