The Fergus Hall Tarot Deck

truthseeker65

truthseeker65

Hi everyone!

I don't see a lot of this deck talked about, and I know it's pretty obscure for most of you.  But my favourite deck, which was my first deck, was the Fergus Hall deck from the movie Live and Let Die.

I would like to introduce it to all of you as the artwork is something special and may appeal.

So, I will start with the first card, The Fool

The Fool in this painting is wearing a traditional court jesters outfit in red, yellow and blue, all primary colours.  The waning (or is it waxing) moon appears near his foot and the sun appears near his head.

The spotted cat pulls on his pants.

He wears a blindfold but it is partially lifted so he can see from one eye.

A large red heard is on his cheek.

He scatters leaves from his left hand and is about to step off the end of a steep hill with his right foot.

A small branch protrudes from the crest of the hill near his outstretched foot.

This is an atypical representation of the fool but I see it as very apt.

The sun near his head means he feels warm and safe but his lower extremities are in danger, his about to literally trip off a cliff.  The cat represents his Id, which tries to protect him from foolishness. 

But he isn't completely foolish.  He is choosing to willfully take the consequences of his choice, hence the slipped blindfold.  He knows what he does and does it with hope and trust, thus the heart on his cheek.

The scattering of leaves shows he scatters his life but again, with purpose.

His exposed backside and the fact that he does nothing to prevent it, means he accepts his fate.

I give you, the Fool.a9434f410a5f1c1fe7f831e15405cafc.jpg

FH_The_Fool.jpg.e0f72370f8eb8dde2a5a9f3b5c5e24fb.jpg

I had a quick google cause I think the guys bare bumm is funny hehehe (yeah and meaningful, but my mental age is around 13 I've been told recently, so it is funny first and meaningful second).

I noticed that on amazon uk a few reviews call the deck disturbing!!??? Strange, I could not find anything disturbing googling pictures of the cards. Which ones could be the disturbing ones? Maybe they don't appear on the pictures search?

truthseeker65

I have 3 of these decks! Two are in James Bond Live and Let Die promo packaging and one is Tarot of the Witches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wish I still had my 007 deck ...

truthseeker65

I had a quick google cause I think the guys bare bumm is funny hehehe (yeah and meaningful, but my mental age is around 13 I've been told recently, so it is funny first and meaningful second).

I noticed that on amazon uk a few reviews call the deck disturbing!!??? Strange, I could not find anything disturbing googling pictures of the cards. Which ones could be the disturbing ones? Maybe they don't appear on the pictures search?

My thoughts on this are the following:

1 - people who are unfamiliar or afraid of tarot would look at the surreal artwork and feel "disturbed" by it.

2 - People want soft and fuzzy images for their tarot, not Salvador Dali type images

3 - They think all tarot is "disturbing".

4 - they don't like some of the interpreted imagry.

I've been through the deck so often and I'm familiar with it over years ... and I love it!

1 - people who are unfamiliar or afraid of tarot would look at the surreal artwork and feel "disturbed" by it.

2 - People want soft and fuzzy images for their tarot, not Salvador Dali type images

4 - they don't like some of the interpreted imagery.

I've been through the deck so often and I'm familiar with it over years ... and I love it!

Hear, hear. These days, people are "disturbed" by basically anything --and thus abominations like DV's Guardian Angel Tarot are born.

I'm a bit of a dark deck aficionado, and have only seen two decks that have truly disturbed me. One was the Baphomet Tarot, aka the H.R. Giger Tarot. I found that the energies in those images were too dark for me to handle, and I sold it as soon as I could. The other one is the beautiful Nicoletta Ceccoli. There is something not necessarily disturbing, but subtly unsettling about those doll-like figurines. (There was a gigantic brouhaha over it at the old AT, with some accusing it of promoting pedophilia or worse. It was surprising, but a lot of fun to watch.)

truthseeker65

4 - they don't like some of the interpreted imagery.

Hear, hear. These days, people are "disturbed" by basically anything --and thus abominations like DV's Guardian Angel Tarot are born.

I'm a bit of a dark deck aficionado, and have only seen two decks that have truly disturbed me. One was the Baphomet Tarot, aka the H.R. Giger Tarot. I found that the energies in those images were too dark for me to handle, and I sold it as soon as I could. The other one is the beautiful Nicoletta Ceccoli. There is something not necessarily disturbing, but subtly unsettling about those doll-like figurines. (There was a gigantic brouhaha over it at the old AT, with some accusing it of promoting pedophilia or worse. It was surprising, but a lot of fun to watch.)

I've seen the HR Giger deck and yeah, some of those images are out there lol

Also seen the Ceccoli deck and while I don't think it promotes "pedophelia" the images are disturbing if you don't like life like dolls....lol

I'm not a fan of the cutesy decks like the Unicorn deck or the angel decks either .. it's like...what? 

It is interesting to see this deck discussed, and am enjoying the positive comments regarding it.  Years and years ago any time I saw any mention of this deck it was usually negative.  I do not own nor am I interested in the deck for myself, but as someone pointed out in my deck review of the Tarot of Sweet Twilight that images from these majors were incorporated into come the majors of the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight (which is a deck I love).  I don't find the Fergus Hall disturbing, and I do love the colors, but the square people with odd looking arms just don't appeal to me personally.  One of the things I love about Tarot is the variety of decks, and the exchange of opinions regarding the decks.  Decks are definitely a personal choice and variety is the spice of life.