Sign in to follow this  
Guest Night Shade

Music whilst reading

Guest Night Shade

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=228572

by Reverie

Does the process of reading while listening to music enhance your intuition, distract your intuition, or neither?

Although it inspires me for reading, writing, and pretty much any circumstance, I have not yet delved into exploring how it affects my intuition when I read.

Music does get me in the "zone" - so I wonder if it would help my reading, but I'm afraid to try.

I like to be calm and in a slight meditative state when I read.

What do you think?

Guest Night Shade

I really don't care for silence, so I like to have music going while I read.  I find that singing or talking distracts me, however, so I like to play classical or new age music during my readings for other people.  When I read for myself, sometimes I'm a bit more lenient and put on the alternative station, but I have to be careful not to totally lose track of the reading when one of my favorite songs comes on!  :))

I was just thinking about this topic so I’m glad you revived this thread! I have up to this point not been listening to anything other than the noise my candle makes (it’s a woodwork so it crackles noticeably). But I have been contemplating finding some music that could perhaps add to the mood or heighten the energies - both during readings and rituals. So I would very much appreciate any tips on artists/albums/songs. I think I would like that would work with a meditative/channeling state of mind.

Guest Night Shade

I was just thinking about this topic so I’m glad you revived this thread! I have up to this point not been listening to anything other than the noise my candle makes (it’s a woodwork so it crackles noticeably). But I have been contemplating finding some music that could perhaps add to the mood or heighten the energies - both during readings and rituals. So I would very much appreciate any tips on artists/albums/songs. I think I would like that would work with a meditative/channeling state of mind.

If you don't mind music with vocals, I think anything by Enya or Loreena McKennitt might work well.  I find Vivaldi goes well with my readings when I need a bit of energizing, while any kind of chamber music or ambient new age music works well when I need to relax a bit.

If you don't mind music with vocals, I think anything by Enya or Loreena McKennitt might work well.

Just love both of them too! But when I read I can not listen to music. Anything that needs my focus has to be done in silence. If I have music on that I like/love I would just be dancing ....  :egyptian: :cardz:

I find it depends what sort of reading it is. Music for me is much the same regardless of the activity. If I can engage without focusing too hard, music is fine. If I have to knuckle down and really pay attention, music will distract me. This tends to go for most ambient type music as well (I even play games with the music turned down or off, and game music is well known for being excellent background music).

So daily draws for example, I can generally music with. But if I was doing a serious reading for someone, I couldn't. It doesn't so much distract my intuition as it distracts me, intuition or no intuition.

I can't have music playing while reading at all, I get so distracted!  Maybe this is because I'm a musician and if there is music playing I'm listening intently to it and not giving enough attention to the reading!

But, total intuition block for me if music is playing.

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

Guest D76

When I "read" tarot cards, I need silence ...

When I "think" about tarot cards, I often listen to music ... because music inspires me. <3

For example, this brilliant album (Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte : Tarot theme !):

A Tower Struck Down  8:52  - Amazing ! goosebumps))

I find that silence is what is needed, especially when drawing the cards; any voices or distracting noises (like tapping on a keyboard) just drags me out of the meditative state, and kills my ability to feel the pull of individual cards. For the interpretation phase, it's less critical, and I can imagine music being OK there, so long as it's not intrusive and I don't want to listen to the vocals. Someone like Loreena McKennitt singing (where I know the songs so well that I can just let them wash over me without directing any attention to them) would probably be the ideal.

Not sure how I'd cope with trying to read at a busy fair, for example; perhaps enough background activity eventually becomes white noise that can be ignored, but I know I'd find it difficult!