House Blessing

Bodhiseed

I've got a friend who is going through a nasty divorce (her husband was cheating on her while she supported him for the last two years to get his Masters degree). Now that all his stuff is gone, she would like to go through and 'cleanse and bless' each room. She's not looking for anything religious, but would like to feel like this is now her home. Any ideas for blessing a home?

Using some kind of cleansing fragrance is always good - sage smudging obviously springs to mind, but you can do things like spritz with an essential oil in water, something loving like Lavender of cleansing like white thyme?

Ringing a bell in each room with the window open - fill the space with a beautiful sound. Addition of house plants, or perhaps flowers in vases in every room on one day - can be flowers from garden, road verges whatever, doesn't have to cost money, just bring beauty, whatever seems right to her.

Even spoken words, from her heart, repeated everywhere - like "I bless this space with love and joy and sweep all bad energies away now" - Oh of course, sweeping, even with a little cinnamon brush or something - but it has to make the air/energy actually GO outside - open windows and doors.

Any of that help?  :)

Thank you PathWalker, that is very helpful. I particularly like the suggestion of using essential oil and the cinnamon broom. :) Some of the women who come may be sensitive to smoke (sage or incense), so aromatherapy of some sort will provide a great alternative! Definitely will add the 'sweeping out' to the ceremony. :D I've got tingshas, so that would work for the bell ringing.

Here's my 'rough draft' :D

House Blessing

Kitchen

Home owner: “I sweep out all the negative energy from this room, including bad memories and wishes of ill will; I create space to welcome the good.”

Officiant: “May this room be a place where food is transformed into satisfying, healthy meals that bring strength and well-being to the body.

Group (ring bells*): “So be it!”

Great Room

Home owner: “I sweep out all the negative energy from this room, including bad memories and wishes of ill will; I create space to welcome the good.”

Officiant: “May this room of leisure be a place of peaceful enjoyment in times of solitude and a place where friends gather in times of joyful fellowship.”

Group (ring bells): “So be it!”

Bathroom

Officiant: “May this room be a place to wash away the stress of each day, clearing away all frustration and anxiety.”

Office/Yoga Room

Officiant: “May this room be a place of productivity and progress, whether the focus is on work, creativity or spirituality.”

Bedroom

Officiant: “May this room be a place of comfort, deep relaxation and sleep that renews the spirit.”

Center of Home

Officiant: “May this home and all those who enter it be blessed.”

*All participants who attend will be asked to bring a bell of some kind to ring.

Thanks PW - I will be definitely incorporate some of your ideas (like using a cinnamon broom for her to 'sweep' with). I greatly appreciate your help! :D

RavenOfSummer

Really enjoyed reading both of your posts on this. Sending best wishes to your friend, Bodhiseed- I hope the cleansing is healing for her <3

EmpyreanKnight

In our country, we have priests perform house blessings. We just give a small donation to our church, and oftentimes we end it with a little feast.

If the situation calls for something different, we don't hesitate to call on an albolaryo (local shaman) instead.

I enjoyed reading about your ceremony. 

In case it comes up again, a spritz of Rosemary infused water all around in each room is also good for clearing the space.

Also, if the officiant is a Reiki Master, they can cleanse each room with Reiki, as well. 

I do prefer sage and Reiki, but I understand some people are sensitive to the smells and/or smoke.