Skip to content

Ancient Italian Tarot

Featured Replies

So, I really, really like this deck... the artwork is charming and the cardstock and card backs are dreamy. I have a major problem though, or shall I say MINOR?

 

How do you tell the bastoni/clubs from the spades/swords? They look SO similar!

At first glance I thought, okay, the swords have crests (which I hope is the correct term for this type of decoration) and the clubs have leaves - but then this:

 

2 of clubs - leaves

3 of clubs - crest

4 of clubs - leaves

5 of clubs - crest

6 of clubs - leaves

7 of clubs - crest

8 of clubs - leaves

9 of clubs - crest

10 of clubs - crest

 

2 of swords - crest

3 of swords - leaves

4 of swords - crest

5 of swords - sword and RIBBON 😫

6 of swords - crest

7 of swords - sword and ribbon again

8 of swords - crest

9 of swords - sword and ribbon

10 of swords - another swords and ribbon

 

Then I thought, some of the swords have ribbons, so maybe that's what sets them apart... but no, some of the clubs have ribbons, too 😳

 

Can anyone help me, where is the logic in this 😥 How do I know it's a 3 of clubs without looking to see what the 3 of swords looks like?

 

ETA; I already went all the way through this thread on AT and while it discusses a lot of different old Italian decks, there's not much actual info on the Ancient Italian Tarot. The minors weren't discussed at all.

Edited by jupiter

Which one do you mean ? I have one by that name where it's easy as the swords are curved - clearly that's not the deck you are talking about.

  • Author
4 minutes ago, gregory said:

Which one do you mean ? I have one by that name where it's easy as the swords are curved - clearly that's not the deck you are talking about.

I just took a photo of what I thought was the correct order, but now I'm doubting myself...?!

AfterlightImage 3.JPG

  • Author

So it's supposed to be ordered this way...? I see... the leaves and other decorative elements really threw me off. "leaves = clubs/wands" is so deeply engraved in my brain 😓

IMG_8786.JPG

Yes. Spade are curved, bastoni aren't :classic_smile:

  • Author
3 minutes ago, gregory said:

Yes. Spade are curved, bastoni aren't :classic_smile:

… and in the end it's so simple. I feel like a prize idiot, can you tell I'm completely new to the TdM 🤣 Thank you so much, that was tremendously helpful – now I can SEE what I'm looking at!

 

Quote

Traditional North Italian playing cards, like the Tarot of Marseilles, distinguish batons from swords by the use of straight versus curved lines.

 

spacer.png

 

Any time !

33 minutes ago, jupiter said:

… and in the end it's so simple. I feel like a prize idiot, can you tell I'm completely new to the TdM 🤣 Thank you so much, that was tremendously helpful – now I can SEE what I'm looking at!

I totally remember when I made that realization too. This was basically me 😁:

 

realize fix my life GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

  • Author
52 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I totally remember when I made that realization too.

family matters what GIF🤣 exactly!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.