Lo Scarabeo variants

fooltotheworld

fooltotheworld

Lo Scarabeo seems to be mining the same 1880s deck based on the 1835 Soprafino deck by Carlo Della Rocca, and I'm getting confused. The Lo Scarabeo Classical is mostly the same as Lo Scarabeo's Ancient Italian Tarot, with minor redrawings of some faces, some recoloration of garments, and the Classical has that wide left border with the card name repeated in several language that Lo Scarabeo sometimes does. (I like the look of the Ancient Italian deck, but not the redrawn faces.)

(And I read on a blog that "the original Della Rocca deck was itself based on a deck which has also been reproduced with minimal changes by Lo Scarabeo as ‘The Ancient Tarot of Bologna’" which apparently was released in slightly different versions in 1995 and 2000.)

And now in September 2020, as part of the Anima Antiqua series, Lo Scarabeo is coming out with Tarocco Sopraffino - Carlo Della Rocca (yes, that's how they're spelling Soprafino). There's not a lot of info about it anywhere, but it's in the 2020 Lo Scarabeo catalog. (pic)

Does anyone know how the unreleased upcoming deck differs from the previous Soprafino decks they put out?

katrinka

Sorry, I don't.
I do seem to recall that Il Meneghello released it in various sizes. (What is it about that deck that makes publishers release it in multiples?) The regular size is still available. If you're having doubts about LS, just go with Il Meneghello.

fooltotheworld

Thanks. I'm aware of the Il Meneghello Della Rocca, but I'm just trying to determine what is different in this upcoming deck.

3 hours ago, fooltotheworld said:

Lo Scarabeo seems to be mining the same 1880s deck based on the 1835 Soprafino deck by Carlo Della Rocca, and I'm getting confused. The Lo Scarabeo Classical is mostly the same as Lo Scarabeo's Ancient Italian Tarot, with minor redrawings of some faces, some recoloration of garments, and the Classical has that wide left border with the card name repeated in several language that Lo Scarabeo sometimes does. (I like the look of the Ancient Italian deck, but not the redrawn faces.)

(And I read on a blog that "the original Della Rocca deck was itself based on a deck which has also been reproduced with minimal changes by Lo Scarabeo as ‘The Ancient Tarot of Bologna’" which apparently was released in slightly different versions in 1995 and 2000.)

And now in September 2020, as part of the Anima Antiqua series, Lo Scarabeo is coming out with Tarocco Sopraffino - Carlo Della Rocca (yes, that's how they're spelling Soprafino). There's not a lot of info about it anywhere, but it's in the 2020 Lo Scarabeo catalog. (pic)

Does anyone know how the unreleased upcoming deck differs from the previous Soprafino decks they put out?

For the record, Sopraffino is correct. I posted about this in the Anima Antiqua thread.

I had contacted Lo Scarabeo to ask about this and they said:

We will call it Sopraffino (2 ff).

It is also called sometimes “soprafino” (1f).

The Italian word is with 2 ff.

It is called 1 f because it was sometimes to say “Tarocchi fini // Tarocco fino” at that time to say “high quality”

And this one was ultra quality so it was written “sopra fino” (two dinstinct words), but it was not the title.
It was later Vito Arienti that used those two words to make a title of it (same as Marteau named the Tarocchi Marsigliesi).

But we prefer to use the correct word with 2 ff, as we don’t want to use the two separate words.

Here's a long discussion of the various ones out there.

https://tarot-heritage.com/2011/10/26/the-soprafino-deck-of-carlo-dellarocca/

fooltotheworld

Thanks. I did read that. Any idea about differences in the new deck?