Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 163 : August 22 - August 28

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a deck (or decks) to work with for the week.

All are welcome. Please join us!      The only rules we have are the Tarot Tea & Me rules; be respectful to each other.    

You can drop in and out,  time and real life permitting.   New to tarot?  Long time reader?   Come on in.  

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1.  VGimlet - Otherworld Tarot

2. Bodhiseed - Swietlistej Drogi Tarot paired with Mirrors of the Heart

3. AJ-ish/Sharyn - Spiritsong Tarot

4. Gardener - Ironwing

5. vulprix - Victorian Romantic Tarot

7. WildPlace - The Stretch Tarot

8. Amberjune - Tarot des Femmes Erotiques and Mother Mary Oracle

(473)

Edited by VGimlet

Another week with the Otherword, sans anything else this week.  

I am astonished it's already the end of August, even though I started feeling fall was coming after the first week of August.    I love summer, but this year I'm looking forward to some rain and storms.  

19 hours ago, VGimlet said:

I love summer, but this year I'm looking forward to some rain and storms.  

We're in the middle of hurricane season if you're looking for some exciting storms. 😂

I'm in this week with the Swietlistej Drogi Tarot paired with Mirrors of the Heart.

Thanks VG!

soothing images for me this week after being all over the map with the Patchwork, Roots of Asia, and Cathar.

Spiritsong Tarot, completely new to me. 

Fall came this week here. Funny how you can tell... dew, crickets, spiderwebs at nose height. 

Hello VGimlet, Bodhiseed and AJ-ish/Sharyn,

Thanks for creating this thread!  I'd like to join in if I may?  You all are mentioning decks I don't know - I've never even heard of the Patchwork.  AJ-ish/Sharyn, would you post some pictures?  While we're at it, I'd love to see photos of the Otherword and Mirrors of the Heart, VGimlet and Bodhiseed!

I am currently getting to know and/or rediscovering the Ironwing, the Greenwood and the Thoth.  I suppose I should focus on just one this week, so I will pick the Ironwing.  Happy to post some pictures if people are interested.

Edited by Gardener
4 hours ago, Gardener said:

[...] I will pick the Ironing.  Happy to post some pictures if people are interested.

I am very interested in pictures of the Ironwing! :)  One of those unicorn decks I have seen very little of.  So wonderful!

I would like to join in next week and read with my Victorian Romantic Tarot.

13 hours ago, Gardener said:

Thanks for creating this thread!  I'd like to join in if I may?  You all are mentioning decks I don't know - I've never even heard of the Patchwork.  AJ-ish/Sharyn, would you post some pictures?  

I am currently getting to know and/or rediscovering the Ironwing, the Greenwood and the Thoth.  I suppose I should focus on just one this week, so I will pick the Ironing.  Happy to post some pictures if people are interested.

Years ago our member Pathwalker created a deck with cards from 78 different decks. Last year she called for donations and created at least 25 similar decks from what was sent her, and gave the financial donations for the decks to her favorite charity. Cool! If you click on the link at the bottom of my posts you can see the daily cards I drew this week. I also did the ISG August reading circle with it. 

Welcome to the forum, and our group!

5 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Years ago our member Pathwalker created a deck with cards from 78 different decks. Last year she called for donations and created at least 25 similar decks from what was sent her, and gave the financial donations for the decks to her favorite charity. Cool! If you click on the link at the bottom of my posts you can see the daily cards I drew this week. I also did the ISG August reading circle with it. 

Welcome to the forum, and our group!

Wow that sounds amazing!

I'm also a fairly newbie to the forum and would like to join in with this thread, I've recently aquired The Stretch Tarot and will spend the week with that deck getting to know it. 🙂

welcome WildPlace! Pathwalker may do more decks, shipping from the UK is sort of problematic right now, as it is everywhere. 

I have two other '78 different decks' decks, one called Frankendecken from a years ago tarot forum group project, and one I call Rogue Tarot, 3 of us here put together last year. I have those 2 scanned + printed out so when I travel I don't have to carry a bunch of decks with me. 

Posted (edited)

Welcome Gardener and WildPlace!   Enjoy the DoTW thread - the water is fine.  🏖️  No sharks, either.   🦈

I will try to post some pictures of the Otherworld, but here is a link in case I'm lazy of someone doing a flip through on YouTube.    

Our nephew and his family just moved to Florida Bodhiseed.   He went from having to prepare for wildfires (Eastern Washington) to having to prep for Hurricanes. 

Edited by VGimlet
Amberjune

A warm welcome to @Gardener and @WildPlace!

I was off on Thursday and Friday and ever since then in perpetual confusion about what day of the week it is. Thus late to the party this time.

The remnants of a hurricane (Kyle?) reached us yesterday over here in continental Europe and the heat wave is over for now. Ok with me 🙂

Now the weather is ideal for a longer hike, not too hot, and not too cold. Plus we are in Virgo season, yay!!

My decks for the week are the Tarot des Femmes Erotiques and a mass market  Mother Mary Oracle.

I feel the Ironwing Tarot has an almost legendary, mythic air to it (because of how rare it is or was).

Edited by Amberjune

This week I'll be using the Swietlistej Drogi Tarot (Tarot of the Radiant Path), created by Alla Alicja Chrzanowska and published by Studio Astropsychologii. I'll also be drawing from the oracle Mirrors of the Heart, created and self-published by Lily S. May. Today's draws are the Six of Wands and Truthfulness:

six%2Bof%2Bwands.jpgtruthfulness_0002.jpg

In front of a cozy fireplace (with lots of extra wood to burn), a family sits around a table enjoying each other's company. After the battle, the project, or some natural chaos, life has simplified and stability has returned. There may not be any fanfare, but there's plenty of gratitude for what has been accomplished or come to an end. The faceted diamond depicted in Truthfulness is a reminder that a half-truth is not the whole truth. For instance, someone might declare that he didn't character assassinate a co-worker, yet in reality, he certainly trashed the rest of her family. To shine the light on just one facet is not lighting up the whole gem. In the same way, the family above might enjoy the lull in what had been a stressful ordeal, but they know better than to believe life will be uninterrupted bliss from here on out. 

Every season has its peaks and valleys. What you have to try to do is eliminate the Grand Canyon. 
― Andy Van Slyke
Posted (edited)

Oh, since we have two new members - here are the rules - wait, there are no rules.    Except the common Tarot Tea & Me rules.  

You are welcome to join whenever you like,  however I don't monitor the thread as often Monday-Thursday, so if you join then I may not get you added to the list of participants right away.

You can switch decks if the one you're using isn't working - or you get a new deck - or something else seems shinier..or whatever.  

You don't have to use just tarot - any deck is fine.    That's about it.  

Historically this group was started 9 years ago over on Aeclectic Tarot when the forums were active by Nikki B., and when Nikki went on to other things Bodhiseed and (What the heck was his name????  French teacher? Really nice?) ran it for a few years and then I took over when he decided to take a break.  Sharyn and I were doing DOTW before the thread was started, and so was Nikki.   When AT forums were shut down, the group voted and we came here to TT&M, which has been our happy home ever since, Thanks to Little Fang.  But that's the little number in parenthesis at the bottom of the list of participants - how many weeks this group has been going. 

Edited by VGimlet

Hi everybody,

Thanks for posting all the pictures and links!  So many decks, so little time.  The patchwork deck fascinates me.  I kind of want to make a deck using 26 decks, with three cards from each deck.  The Artist's Inner Vision is kind of like that, but with a unifying color theme.  I really love that deck.  I wonder if I could get 26 Lo Scarabeo decks?  That way they'd all be the same size and I could shuffle them.  A Lo Scarabeo Patchwork Sequel would make for great Christmas presents...

I wish I had a Patchwork Deck!

Vulprix.- the Victorian Romantic is one of my top 3 reading decks.  Love how chatty that deck is!

Amberjune and Wildplace, will you post pictures of your cards?

Okay, I promised pictures of the Ironwing.  I love this deck.  It doesn't correspond terribly well to RWS, but I think the creator had used RWS for years before developing her own personal take on each card.  I really admire that about her.  She is also a blacksmith, and physically made many of the images that are drawn on the pip cards.  She did the drawings as well.  She's a blacksmith-shaman, so many of the book meanings talk about smithing and plant lore, especially for the desert, where she lives.

From top to bottom they are: The World, Eight of Bells (Earth), Two of Coils (Water) 

61999775831__465C2468-258E-40BF-8E0C-A4A1346D3F21.jpeg

61999778156__DE890786-43E7-4F53-BA99-CECCA1A257E6.jpeg

61999781068__39846446-4823-46D2-BF0C-88545DB2064E.jpeg

Edited by Gardener
On 8/22/2020 at 7:58 PM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

welcome WildPlace! Pathwalker may do more decks, shipping from the UK is sort of problematic right now, as it is everywhere. 

I have two other '78 different decks' decks, one called Frankendecken from a years ago tarot forum group project, and one I call Rogue Tarot, 3 of us here put together last year. I have those 2 scanned + printed out so when I travel I don't have to carry a bunch of decks with me. 

I'm liking the sound of these 🙂 Yes, I had to ship some items to a customer in Oregon last Friday - the Royal Mail here in the UK has bumped up the cost of shipping to the US, i'll be interested to know how long the item takes to arrive there I made sure it had all the relevant customs labels on it, hopefully it won't get too held up.

So my card of the day today from the The Stretch Tarot was The Star, I'm really loving the vintage images on these collage/art cards. As i'm still very much a beginner I didn't look at the LWB until i'd explored the card myself, to see if I could gauge what it was telling me - it was along the lines of "after a period of several major stresses the last couple weeks, stick with it as things are now looking to be going in a more positive direction". This was born out later in the day by a message from my daughter to say that she had now received two hospital appointments for my grandson who we've been worried about. The LWB says: Healing, inspiration, opportunity, creativity, purification.

IMG_7738.thumb.jpg.0fcd28650cef976612207b8e53eb2d00.jpg

Edited by WildPlace
12 minutes ago, Gardener said:

Hi everybody,

Thanks for posting all the pictures and links!  So many decks, so little time.  The patchwork deck fascinates me.  I kind of want to make a deck using 26 decks, with three cards from each deck.  The Artist's Inner Vision is kind of like that, but with a unifying color theme.  I really love that deck.  I wonder if I could get 26 Lo Scarabeo decks?  That way they'd all be the same size and I could shuffle them.  A Lo Scarabeo Patchwork Sequel would make for great Christmas presents...

I wish I had a Patchwork Deck!

Vulprix.- the Victorian Romantic is one of my top 3 reading decks.  Love how chatty that deck is!

Amberjune and Wildplace, will you post pictures of your cards?

Okay, I promised pictures of the Ironwing.  I love this deck.  It doesn't correspond terribly well to RWS, but I think the creator had used RWS for years before developing her own personal take on each card.  I really admire that about her.  She is also a blacksmith, and physically made many of the images that are drawn on the pip cards.  She did the drawings as well.  She's a blacksmith-shaman, so many of the book meanings talk about smithing and plant lore, especially for the desert, where she lives.

From top to bottom they are: The World, Eight of Bells (Earth), Two of Coils (Water) 

61999775831__465C2468-258E-40BF-8E0C-A4A1346D3F21.jpeg

61999778156__DE890786-43E7-4F53-BA99-CECCA1A257E6.jpeg

61999781068__39846446-4823-46D2-BF0C-88545DB2064E.jpeg

Lovely deck - I always think there is just something about black and white images, and fascinating info about the designer too, thank you 🙂 

@Gardener I just love the look of your Ironwing. The artwork, for sure, but also the production! That deck is a fine wine. I love the minimal, papery look it has. Thank you so much for sharing!

(I’m glad you like the VR 🙂 I loved it in the past too but haven’t read with it in a long time.)

I did a five card spread today with the VR, plus a card from the Earthbound Oracle. The reading was kind of all over the place. But I keep getting distracted by the unusual Knight of Wands!

He’s so subdued! 😆

F00EFBD2-F60B-4927-BE3E-4DAC52DADB7C.jpeg

Continuing my exploration of The Stretch Tarot.

From the artist's website:  Stretch Tarot is a small press that was set up in 2016 to publish the Tarot deck of the same name, run by mother and son duo, Joseph and Susan Stretch.  

This was the first deck that Joseph designed and as a dabbler in mixed media, collage and digital art myself as soon as I saw it I was drawn to it. The only thing i'm not so sure about are the keywords that are on some of the cards.

IMG_7748.jpg.18695a4c0d2d935b26fb330e3dfd486e.jpg

My daily draw today was the five of Pentacles reversed

IMG_7749.jpg.d6e1e251c0779a8904c23cc22253ccb6.jpg

Amberjune

@Gardener here is a picture of my two decks. The Tarot des femmes erotiques contains a lot of nudity which I have censored here 😁. It is a deck I have had for over ten years I think and I am very fond of it. Might be oop now.

The Chariot ( left hand side of the photo) is one of my all time favorite chariot cards .

The Mother Mary Oracle is a new addition to my collection and from Blue Angel Publishing.

F9541F48-53A9-4515-B7FE-CFCDCAAFF8CD.jpeg

I talked to Pathwalker about the Patchwork decks and she has a few listed in the sell/trade forum which is for subscribers, so if you want one of them look there! There are several forums here just for subscribers, and even if you never use them subscriptions help pay for the expenses involved in keeping this place running. 

Amberjune and Wildplace, thank you for posting pictures of your decks.  I love seeing decks I've never heard of before, every artist has a different take, and I find that infinitely fascinating.  Amberjune, the censorship coins are ADORABLE!

Vulprix, about that non-firey night of wands.  According to Baba-Prague's book, the king is actually a young woman in disguise, and she is flustered by the romantic attention of the lady in the card.  She may be interested, but she can't afford to reveal her secret identity!

AJ-ish - my own personal copy of the Patchwork deck will be flying my way tomorrow, I am so excited!  Thanks a million for introducing me to this wonderful creation.  I am gong to use it for the 78 week study.

Who mentioned creating two other frankendecken?  By scans only?  Just digital copy?  Which decks went into the franken?  How did you make your selections?  Please tell me more about this creative process!

I am having my own fantasy about making a specific kind of frankendecken.  I have the Artists Inner Vision, which features three cards each by 26 different artists.  All the cards are the same size, and they agreed on a muted, brown-heavy palette.  But it still has something of that frankendeck vibe.  So I was thinking if a person were to use 26 Lo Scarabeo decks, lovingly selected, they would mesh in a similarly strange way, and they'd all be the same size.  Contrascarpe has maybe 15 Lo Scarabeo decks, so I only have to buy 11 more.

I am wondering if people would be willing to suggest favorite Lo Scarabeo decks that might mesh well into a LoS frankendeck?  I'd love your ideas.

This thread is the bomb!  Do people still say that, or am I showing my grey hairs?

6 hours ago, Gardener said:

Amberjune and Wildplace, thank you for posting pictures of your decks.  I love seeing decks I've never heard of before, every artist has a different take, and I find that infinitely fascinating.  Amberjune, the censorship coins are ADORABLE!

Vulprix, about that non-firey night of wands.  According to Baba-Prague's book, the king is actually a young woman in disguise, and she is flustered by the romantic attention of the lady in the card.  She may be interested, but she can't afford to reveal her secret identity! [...]

Oh my, interesting!  I mean, the knight is pretty attractive; I don't blame the blonde visitor.  If only the knight would be a bit more vulnerable!  She'd probably sooner jump back on that horse than do that, though 😉 This story lends a new spin on my reading, and I do not have a full book for this deck so I would not have known it.  Thank you, @Gardener

I second Gardener on @Amberjune's censorship efforts.  Very cute and creative.  Gorgeous deck, too; always fancied that one!

@AJ-ish/Sharyn I really love the II of Wands in your Stretch Tarot.  I'm kind of a sucker for a classical depiction of Jesus, and this one is unique.  (Looks like Jesus of Nazareth and some close companions to me, anyway.)  The Queen of Wands in the Stretch Tarot is joyous, too.

As for my reading with the Victorian Romantic Tarot, I tried to re-bond with the deck a little bit since it's felt a bit overly much for me.  So I drew one card to "teach me a lesson about violence"--the Four of Pentacles.  I think the figure looks both bored and fearful, don't you?  Uncomfortable to behold.  I have to say, the card did teach me something new today 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 8.00.00 PM.png

Edited by vulprix
typo :)

Gardener, I'm so happy to see your overall enthusiasm here on the forum. It is what keeps forums ticking when FB seems to have overtaken the world and its senses, to me...the other platforms are just people talking at me. Here we visit together. 

#1, if you made it a fun goal, you could probably find 78 LoS decks, I wonder if they've published that many. They offer free shipping from Italy with a minimum purchase to get started with the current stuff. Their decks are some of the least expensive on ebay and amazon. Set yourself up a watch for every deck 🙂  make 78 Patchworks, although yours would be Crops 🙂 and sell the excess here over time. Or on Etsy. I think I have two of their decks in my outta here pile I would donate in return for one Crop. 

#2 There are several main threads at AT for the Frankendecken (I think it was Nisaba that coined that title) and there might have been a Bride of Frankendecken set too. The physical assembled deck was drawn by lottery, but for the Frankendecken one of the contributors put it on disc and sized them so they all printed properly. Did a very good job, That is how I got my physical deck. 

Back to deck of the week, I saw Spiritsong being used on a friends blog and thought I'd try it, I wasn't successful with Cassidy's other decks, they were too...can't see what the hell is going on here for me. But I'm finding this one charming, yet a bit vicious, but I think that is more on me and the times, than the cards.