Hello!

Mokona

I joined a little while back, but I couldn't make posts right away, so I'm making my introduction now! My first tarot deck was the Wonderland tarot in a tin by Chris and Morgana Abbey. I have two soul decks, the Dreaming Way by Kwon Shina and Rome Choi, and the Parrott Tarot by Margaret and Thom Parrott. (Those two are also the only decks which I have spares of). I'm familiar with the RWS-style of traditional tarot meanings and that's the base with which I approach tarot reading in general. And I'm pretty comfortable with that.

But I'm trying to learn things like astrology and maybe a little kabbalah, because the Parrott deck is Thoth-based but I don't want to learn anything about Thoth or anything Crowley said in general. I want to back up the intuitive approach I take with the Parrott deck with some astrology knowledge hopefully. I'm also experimenting with predicting timing using tarot. So I thought I'd join this forum to be able to follow topics and talk to others about the newer areas I'm exploring, to keep up with deck news, and to give practice readings. And make tarot friends! 

56 minutes ago, Mokona said:

But I'm trying to learn things like astrology and maybe a little kabbalah, because the Parrott deck is Thoth-based but I don't want to learn anything about Thoth or anything Crowley said in general. I want to back up the intuitive approach I take with the Parrott deck with some astrology knowledge hopefully. I'm also experimenting with predicting timing using tarot. So I thought I'd join this forum to be able to follow topics and talk to others about the newer areas I'm exploring, to keep up with deck news, and to give practice readings. And make tarot friends! 

Hi and welcome. 🙂
I'm not familiar with the Parrott, so I googled http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/parrott/
Nice deck, lots of esoteric stuff going on there. I agree, it would require a fair amount of background reading (as in books. 😉 )
I'd recommend starting with Lon Milo DuQuette. It takes a fairly deep dive to make sense of Crowley anyway, and Lon's done a lot of the work for you. Understanding the Thoth Tarot and The Chicken Qabalah should get you off to a good start. (And yes, we're dealing with the "Q" spelling here: Hermetic Qabalah. Kabbalah is traditional Jewish Kabbalah, there are differences.)

While the first book does deal with Crowley, if you're using Thoth-based decks it's good to understand where he was coming from with the Thoth. He was an ***hole, but he's unavoidable if you want to understand this stuff. You don't want to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. There was a woman named Angeles Arrien who wrote a book about reading the Thoth completely off the pictures and just ignoring Crowley. The problem was that she misidentified some things in the deck and ended up writing an infamously silly book. 

Just my two cents, you do you. 

Hello

19 hours ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Hello and welcome @Mokona!  You've come to the right place to meet like minded people and make friends! :animated-smileys-signs-085:

Thank you! I'm happy to find such an active tarot forum, and I'm excited to have lots of conversations with other tarotists 😊

19 hours ago, katrinka said:

Hi and welcome. 🙂
I'm not familiar with the Parrott, so I googled http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/parrott/
Nice deck, lots of esoteric stuff going on there. I agree, it would require a fair amount of background reading (as in books. 😉 )
I'd recommend starting with Lon Milo DuQuette. It takes a fairly deep dive to make sense of Crowley anyway, and Lon's done a lot of the work for you. Understanding the Thoth Tarot and The Chicken Qabalah should get you off to a good start. (And yes, we're dealing with the "Q" spelling here: Hermetic Qabalah. Kabbalah is traditional Jewish Kabbalah, there are differences.)

While the first book does deal with Crowley, if you're using Thoth-based decks it's good to understand where he was coming from with the Thoth. He was an ***hole, but he's unavoidable if you want to understand this stuff. You don't want to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. There was a woman named Angeles Arrien who wrote a book about reading the Thoth completely off the pictures and just ignoring Crowley. The problem was that she misidentified some things in the deck and ended up writing an infamously silly book. 

Just my two cents, you do you. 

I never thought I'd love a Thoth based deck and then the Parrott deck happened. 😅 The scans on Aeclectic are rather terrible quality; here's a video flip through:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/eHSC7pZpFTQ?start=361

I linked it so it automatically starts from the middle of the video where the cards begin to be shown. I think I always found Thoth intimidating because it's Very Serious and Esoteric or at least that's the reigning attitude to Thoth, to take it rather seriously. But this deck has the little parrots in the corners of the cards like mini indicators to the overall mood of the card or what's going on in it, especially in the minors. I love that it's a deck that has all the Very Serious and Esoteric symbolism but still has this adorable, lighthearted touch. 

I'm never going to touch the original Crowley-Thoth deck and I still have that attitude towards Crowley's writings. I kind of take the author-is-dead approach to Thoth based decks (the others I have are the Jolanda tarot, which is whimsical and eclectic apart from being Thothy, and the Cosmic tarot which has its own guidebook). I was hoping astrology and kabbalah would be enough to see me through, but maybe I can start with learning those areas and rethink the whole avoiding Crowley thing afterwards... I don't know. It's difficult. 😶

I knew about Angeles Arrien's book being controversial. Someone on Cult of Tarot said they didn't hold with her book at all, but had a friend who swore by it and gave excellent readings, so I guess it might work for some people and not for others. I'm tempted to read her book first because it's like she flipped off Crowley and I'm petty like that 😇 I don't have to agree or identify with what she says about the deck and I might still get something out of the book in terms of ways to approach a Thothy deck, even if she got details wrong.

I have such a strong, powerful bond with the Parrott deck already and its energy is so amazing that I don't want to ruin it. I know that's weird but it's a deck I've never had to cleanse even after quite shadowy readings I've done for others with it. It's like a blaze of light that never blinds no matter how bright it gets, or something. I don't want to ruin what I have with it but it's such a rich deck to study with that I don't want to neglect learning for it either. I'm going to do whatever I want because that's what I always do, but it's going to take some trouble to figure out what will feel right for me to do.🤔

19 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Bom Dia Hello GIF

Welcome,  nice to meet you!

Thank you, nice to meet you too! *pets the Fox*

19 hours ago, joy said:

Hello @Mokonawelcome to the TT&M Family :animated-smileys-signs-085:

Thank you, I'm happy to be here!

17 hours ago, Ekati said:

Hello @Mokona welcome!!!

A6E4C58E-78AD-4A41-8B89-D6F30B44F0E1.png

Thank you for the welcome! And ooh, the Shadowscapes in your profile picture- I love!!!

Edited by Mokona

Saturn Celeste
7 hours ago, Mokona said:

I never thought I'd love a Thoth based deck and then the Parrott deck happened. 😅 The scans on Aeclectic are rather terrible quality; here's a video flip through:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eHSC7pZpFTQ?start=361" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I embedded it so it automatically starts from the middle of the video where the cards begin to be shown.

Hi Mokona!  We aren't able to embed html on this software, just so you know.  If you want to share a youtube video just share the link like this:

This is the link I used from above video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHSC7pZpFTQ&feature=emb_title

@Mokona You can select on youtube if you want the linked content to start at a specific point of the video. When you press 'share', look at the bottom left corner of that pop up window, and it should give you an option to have the link start the video from the same timemark that you paused it on. And then you just press 'paste' in your message. I hope that helps! 

40 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Hi Mokona!  We aren't able to embed html on this software, just so you know.  If you want to share a youtube video just share the link like this:

This is the link I used from above video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHSC7pZpFTQ&feature=emb_title

14 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

@Mokona You can select on youtube if you want the linked content to start at a specific point of the video. When you press 'share', look at the bottom left corner of that pop up window, and it should give you an option to have the link start the video from the same timemark that you paused it on. And then you just press 'paste' in your message. I hope that helps! 

Thank you both! I've edited my post to have just the youtube link!

Hi @Mokona and welcome!

If you haven't seen it, here is a very old website by Thom & Margaret Parrot themselves about that deck.   I have it on my "To Do" list to take everything there and archive it so it isn't completely lost.  

It is completely possible to work with the Parrot deck and learn its astrological, Qabalistic and other esoteric associations card by card and never study Crowley or any other specific occultist- except probably the Parrots themselves since so much of what they believed would be infused into their cards.  Unfortunately, I don't think they actually got the companion book published.  I could be wrong but I don't see it on Amazon so a deeper search would be required. 

Qabalistic tarot is my personal love and passion of mine so any questions you posted about Jewish Kabbalah with a K or Westernized occult Qabalah with a Q in the Esoteric Tarot section would make me happy 🙂   My podcast series, Tarot Esoterica provides a really quirky and modern, 2020+ approach to learning tarot-based astrology, alchemy, qabalah and such and it is on Spotify. 

The Parrot deck is on my list of decks I plan to do Esoteric Tarot lessons about in 2022.  This year I'm working with the Rider-Waite-Smith, Thoth, and Haindl decks along with some more modern and less "by occultists for occultist" ones.    

1 hour ago, TheLoracular said:

Hi @Mokona and welcome!

If you haven't seen it, here is a very old website by Thom & Margaret Parrot themselves about that deck.   I have it on my "To Do" list to take everything there and archive it so it isn't completely lost.  

It is completely possible to work with the Parrot deck and learn its astrological, Qabalistic and other esoteric associations card by card and never study Crowley or any other specific occultist- except probably the Parrots themselves since so much of what they believed would be infused into their cards.  Unfortunately, I don't think they actually got the companion book published.  I could be wrong but I don't see it on Amazon so a deeper search would be required. 

Qabalistic tarot is my personal love and passion of mine so any questions you posted about Jewish Kabbalah with a K or Westernized occult Qabalah with a Q in the Esoteric Tarot section would make me happy 🙂   My podcast series, Tarot Esoterica provides a really quirky and modern, 2020+ approach to learning tarot-based astrology, alchemy, qabalah and such and it is on Spotify. 

The Parrot deck is on my list of decks I plan to do Esoteric Tarot lessons about in 2022.  This year I'm working with the Rider-Waite-Smith, Thoth, and Haindl decks along with some more modern and less "by occultists for occultist" ones.    

I did see it after initially searching for it when I first got the deck, and I'm very glad you're going to archive it! I copy pasted everything into my Google drive in case it was ever lost, although my document has sections repeating and formatting issues- I also downloaded it onto my Kindle. I'm glad that I can delve into esoteric correspondences without having to rely on Crowley. You're right, they only ever put up the website, a book was never released. I'm happy there's something I can refer to though, and I'll treat it as I would a companion book.

That's wonderful! It's intimidating to start, but I also can't wait to start lol. I should check out your podcast, I like to learn by listening. And I love that you take a modern approach to old esoteric knowledge. 

Ooh, I really look forward to those lessons! I would love tarot lessons focused on the Parrott deck! In the meanwhile I'll look at your RWS lessons. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

1 hour ago, LoveLightPeace said:

Hi and welcome to TT&M @Mokona! 🙂

Hello, and thank you! 😊