Discussion of Suite Symbols (Wildwood Tarot)

stephanelli

This study group has been pretty quiet for a while, I've only jut got my deck, but there is so much helpful information in this group, thank you so much everyone who has contributed!  I have some thoughts and questions regarding the suites in general so I thought I'd start a thread.  My views are not very deep right now, but I'm literally just starting out with this deck so I'm trying to get my head round it.

I've not read the book that comes with this edition cover to cover, but I can't quickly find anything discussion the use of the symbols to represent each suite.

So the suites are:

Arrows - Air - Spring

Bows - Fire - Summer

Vessels - Water - Autumn

Stones - Earth - Winter

Vessels

This one is pretty logicial to me.  Vessels hold Water, give it shape.  Water is transitional and Autumn is a transitional season.  Its also the harvest season and the crops we harvest need water to grow.  This again makes sense to me.

Stones

Another logical one to me.  Stones are closely associated with the Earth so that's very logical to me.  Winter is the time when we naturally retreat.  The soil that previously was farmable is now perhaps cold and solid in some cases.  The Earth seems to give little life and is more like Stone than soil.

Now the ones I can't work out as clearly...

Arrows

I can see why the Arrows are related to the suite of Air.  Arrows 'fly' through the Air.  I can also relate Air to Spring - in Spring, the plants are growing, things feel fresh, we open up our windows for that first breath of fresh air (in my family, traditionally when spring cleaning the house occurs).

But why choose Arrows?  I think I might be missing some symbolism and some google searching just confused me further 😆

Bows

So Bows in this deck are related to Fire and Summer.  I can make the easy link between Fire and Summer (hot sun etc.etc.).

But why are Bows chosen to represent this in this deck?  What symbolism am I missing?

More reading will occur now.  I may add any further thoughts I have later.

Hi @stephanelli, my perspective, based on working with this deck quite intensely for the past year is below:

Arrows/Air/Spring

The suit of Air/Spring can be about Intellect/Mind and setting intention/focus, the initiation of energy and the potential it holds. As such, the Arrow represents physically "intention moving through air", but by itself (without a bow) it is mostly the "promise" of "will in action" and not the action itself. This mostly aligns with traditional attributions to the conventional Sword/Air suit.

Bows/Fire/Summer

I have to say, and I absolutely love this deck - it speaks to me so deeply in so many way - that even for a big fan of the deck overall, this choice of symbol felt a little "forced" for my taste (i.e. the authors seemed committed or "predetermined" to linking the Arrow/Bow symbology and I don't think it is "perfect" as far as it really resonating for me personally). However, in my attempt to work with what I think is the idea of the System, the bow is the driver/executor of the arrows intent. As such, in addition to the wood/fire-fuel link, the Bow is the power of the will in action, as it acts upon our intentions/thoughts (Arrows).

This is the simple version of how I have worked with the suits to construct a working language of the Wildwood that resonated for me.

With Love and Peace,

Silver Leaf

Thanks for sharing this @SilverLeaf

It is very helpful!  As I said elsewhere around the forum, I only got the deck yesterday so I'm in the stage where I'm working out its language on a very basic level so this is helpful.

Weirdly, I didn't think to connect the two suites 😆 Mmmm, perhaps as I work with it more I'll find more nuances that make sense for me!

It comes straight from M. Ryan and his "thing" with Bow and Arrow being the main weapons of Robin Hood - He once played that character in a movie and.....

On 11/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, SilverLeaf said:

Arrows/Air/Spring

The suit of Air/Spring can be about Intellect/Mind and setting intention/focus, the initiation of energy and the potential it holds. As such, the Arrow represents physically "intention moving through air", but by itself (without a bow) it is mostly the "promise" of "will in action" and not the action itself. This mostly aligns with traditional attributions to the conventional Sword/Air suit.

Totally agree with this. For me, the arrows represent thoughts more than anything else: swift, directed, practically weightless, but have a great impact when they strike. There's something aethereal about them if you think  about it in the right way... 😉

On 11/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, SilverLeaf said:

Bows/Fire/Summer

I have to say, and I absolutely love this deck - it speaks to me so deeply in so many way - that even for a big fan of the deck overall, this choice of symbol felt a little "forced" for my taste (i.e. the authors seemed committed or "predetermined" to linking the Arrow/Bow symbology and I don't think it is "perfect" as far as it really resonating for me personally). However, in my attempt to work with what I think is the idea of the System, the bow is the driver/executor of the arrows intent. As such, in addition to the wood/fire-fuel link, the Bow is the power of the will in action, as it acts upon our intentions/thoughts (Arrows).

I actually really like the symbolism here, because a bow is so much more than the delivery mechanism for a weapon. It's a musical instrument (as in Dedication), and a tool for creating fires. It represents ingenuity, and the recognition of diverse potential from humble beginnings. A bow, then, is the source of huge amounts of initiative and action: it allows ideas to be put into action, through a wide range of purposes. It is the will that allows the thoughts (arrows) to impact their goals, as well as the source of energy that creates fire, and a way to generate music. It is not tied to any one type of purpose, and its versatility is what makes a bow the root of huge numbers of different actions...

On 12/4/2021 at 3:21 AM, Wanderer said:

A bow, then, is the source of huge amounts of initiative and action: it allows ideas to be put into action, through a wide range of purposes. It is the will that allows the thoughts (arrows) to impact their goals, as well as the source of energy that creates fire, and a way to generate music. It is not tied to any one type of purpose, and its versatility is what makes a bow the root of huge numbers of different actions...

Thank you SO much for sharing this! After years of working with this deck, you finally made sense of this for me. Now I'm so ecstatic to do a reading and get bows cards!

Edited by Kristin

7 hours ago, Kristin said:

Thank you SO much for sharing this! After years of working with this deck, you finally made sense of this for me. Now I'm so ecstatic to do a reading and get bows cards!

You're welcome! 😊 It's great to know that it helped.

Great thread everyone! I have this deck but haven't been using it yet. All the explanations of Arrows and Bows are really helpful!