What makes a deck "click" for you?

Misterei

I've never been much of a deck collector ... limited space. But after moving to larger digs ... I recently started collecting.

Yes, the flip-throughs save me from buying decks I won't ever use ... but I still might purchase a deck thinking it will be great to read with ... and nothing.

Then another deck I feel hesitant about ... and BAM! Instant rapport.

Curious, right? I have instant rapport with some decks I didn't expect ... and NO rapport with some decks I thought I'd love.

By no rapport I mean I don't trust the reads the deck gives me.

Like reading with it just feels "off" ... and I reach for another deck I do trust to do a clarification spread.

What makes a deck hit for you?

How do YOU define rapport with a deck?

Are you good at predicting if a deck will hit? Do you get surprises like I do?

What are some of your hits and misses?

MuninnMissinHuginn

I don’t have many decks. For me just looking at most decks they don’t appeal for reading.  I may LOVE the artwork, or the idea, or theme, but in the end the thought of using them leaves me feeling blah.  One deck I use, fits very well, when I looked at the cards on line it seemed like there would be lots of room for me to understand the cards in multiple ways, I could also on a gut level imagine how the cards would work with each other. (It is a botanical deck). Rapport for me is that there is a frisson feeling.  Like when you stand before a piece of art, why does this one piece move me and not the other piece, it is inexplicable, because it is not based on skill quality necessarily. Perhaps like meeting a person and you know that you will be good friends. Being very conservative in my acquisition of decks, who knows if my predicting skills are any good. Two lucky choices does not make much of a sample. 🙂 

Scarlet Woodland

I wish I knew 😅.

I think a lot of what it comes down to for me, is when the images are so compelling that they become addictive. I want to keep reading so I can see more. That's surprisingly hard to predict though, however attractive or symbolistically rich they appear on the first look. I also need to pick it up often enough to remember that we click like that.

Everything else can be in place but without that something extra, the deck's going to end up in the "why don't I use you more?" pile.

They really do need to be reasonably shufflable though. It takes a truly special deck ***cough*Mary El 1st edition*cough*** to overcome varnished coasters.

Edit: Oh and then there are the decks you buy thinking they're just a pretty face, that grab you by the *redacted* and give you a good talking to 😆.

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

2 hours ago, Scarlet Woodland said:

Edit: Oh and then there are the decks you buy thinking they're just a pretty face, that grab you by the *redacted* and give you a good talking to 😆.

I feel that way about Keymaster deck. Saw it, thought the art was compelling, and bought it as eye candy. I really had no idea if I would like reading a deck with "playing card" style pips. Turns out ... yes. This deck has given me great reads from day 1.

I do look at decks and think this fits my taste and this doesn't. But some decks have been recommended to me by friends which I would never have bought by looking at the cards. Sometimes you have to challenge this. People kept recommending the Wild Unknown to me, I would never have bought it from looking at it but saw it on sale and went for it and love it. So recommendations made me try it. I would definitely challenge not buying entire genres because you don't like them. I don't like photo decks particularly but bought one I love. Treat each deck on it's own.

I think decks I click with are those I connect with intuitively. It is best to see if the deck appeals or fits you but sometimes you have to take a risk and go on reviews or discussions. But there have been decks that have arrived that didn't click with and also good surprises. Some decks look wonderful but don't read well. I can never be sure, it's always a gamble 🙂 .

Not a collector either but if I feel a strong pull towards a new deck I will probably buy it.

I buy my decks in metaphysical shops not online.  It's nice to be able to support these stores and it helps to get to hold the deck and see if it feels right before purchasing. 

The imagery on the cards is important but until I do some readings and see what comes up I don't really know if it really clicks. 

The Light Seers deck was a recent purchase. It looked very appealing on the shelf in the store, I picked it up and felt good about it.  Brought it home and was very pleased with my readings.  Felt an immediate connection. The artwork on the cards is beautiful too. 

16 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

... People kept recommending the Wild Unknown to me, I would never have bought it from looking at it but saw it on sale and went for it and love it. So recommendations made me try it.

... Some decks look wonderful but don't read well. I can never be sure, it's always a gamble 🙂 .

LOL I bought a mini wild unknown on sale too. Friends and everybody recommended it ... yet I can't read with it. I just think Blair Witch Project every time I pick up that deck and it kills it for me. *sigh*. I keep it to loan to any friend or student who might want to read with it, tho. SInce it has its fans.

I wish it wasn't such a gamble, though. I have prolly 5+ decks that I LIKE the artwork and the deck ... yet actually reading with them ... sucks.

I suppose at some point I should sell them or donate them. I keep wondering if the click will happen later.

Have you ever not resonated with a deck at first ... but later it hit?

14 hours ago, Jasmine said:

The imagery on the cards is important but until I do some readings and see what comes up I don't really know if it really clicks. 

The Light Seers deck was a recent purchase ... Felt an immediate connection. The artwork on the cards is beautiful too. 

I think this is what frustrates me. I love the artwork on my Bianco Nero deck ... yet the readings don't feel accurate and I end up doing a clarifier reading with a different deck. Ditto for a couple other decks. Very frustrating to LIKE the deck so much ... but can't READ with it. Grrr.

Conversely ... I bought Lightseers with no expectations and ready to donate it if it didn't hit ... but like you ... that deck hit for me right outta the box. And I actually liked the booklet, too. Of 4 decks I recently bought ... 2 are LOVE LOVE LOVE serving accuracy and clarity right from the box ... and the others are "meh" serving ambiguous gibberish.

LOL I wish there was a scientific method. How can we like a deck on the flipthru video ... yet it doesn't hit when we read with it ...?

I really don't know. I started reading with the RW deck and I tend to pick decks who have similar imagery. I guess I'm not at the intuitive level to just read any image in a card and discern the message. 

OTOH, I watched a tarot reader read with the Ethereal Visions deck and fell in love instantly. There's something about the romanticism and gilded cards that just speaks to me. Maybe because it's where I am at in life right now. 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:22 AM, Misterei said:

I've never been much of a deck collector ... limited space. But after moving to larger digs ... I recently started collecting.

Yes, the flip-throughs save me from buying decks I won't ever use ... but I still might purchase a deck thinking it will be great to read with ... and nothing.

Curious, right? I have instant rapport with some decks I didn't expect ... and NO rapport with some decks I thought I'd love.

Like reading with it just feels "off" ... and I reach for another deck I do trust to do a clarification spread.

So far on the decks i really connected especially my first one i just get a gut feeling feel really drawned to when i see them on readings from others etc and it continues every time i see them somewhere before i decide to get them so far that's pretty accurate and works for me but in general as long as I'm respectful and study them for some time look at the cards hold them maybe pull one card readings etc and have some patience before actually read with them when i get them than I usually don't have any issue to connect with them

On 11/23/2022 at 1:22 AM, Misterei said:

So to my opinion my best advice is to hear your intuition mostly how you feel when see readings with them and seeing them in general for some time before you get a deck i know how easy it is to get some enthusiasm about a deck instead of hearing your gut feelings cause there are beautiful decks out there fr

1 hour ago, Aliki said:

... hear your intuition ... i know how easy it is to get some enthusiasm about a deck instead of hearing your gut feelings cause there are beautiful decks out there

Yes, I think that is my problem. Eyes vs. gut. Rapport with a deck comes from the gut not the eyes but I fool myself sometimes.

On another note, are you Greek? Y'asou.

Edited by Misterei

3 minutes ago, Misterei said:

Yes, I think that is my problem. Eyes vs. gut. Rapport with a deck comes from the gut not the eyes but I fool myself sometimes.

On another note, are you Greek? Y'asou.

Same if i didn't listen and control myself like that i would probably needed a whole library just for decks 😅

Yes omg how did you knew? ☺️ Are you too?

1 minute ago, Aliki said:

Same if i didn't listen and control myself like that i would probably needed a whole library just for decks 😅

Yes omg how did you knew? ☺️ Are you too?

@AlikiI just got a feeling Greek. Then I looked at your profile and saw Greek version of a deck. I'm Greek-American + Russian. My Grandparents came from Lesvos and Smyrna, but one Russian giagia on my father's side. What part of Greece are you?

3 minutes ago, Misterei said:

@AlikiI just got a feeling Greek. Then I looked at your profile and saw Greek version of a deck. I'm Greek-American + Russian. My Grandparents came from Lesvos and Smyrna, but one Russian giagia on my father's side. What part of Greece are you?

That's great I'm from Athens ☺️

Clicksupanasty

I still use the same deck I've used ever since I got into Tarot over 3 years ago. The Celtic Tarot deck. Someone posted it for free in a Facebook group and I jumped on the chance as I'd had an interest in Tarot for a while. There's just some intangible about the deck that works for me. I only ever bought two other decks, and both are just to collect (Skyrim and D&D themed decks). For readings, I stick to the Celtic one.

There is the theme - the art - and just a little something I can't explain. The readings make sense and I feel that I have to work more with this deck. 

The Thoth is consistent for me, the Silhouettes my go-to for shadow work, the Anna K. for family readings and the Margarete Petersen for reflection. Do they have anything in common? No. But they click with me on a deep level. So do some other decks. 

I must say though that lately I try to hone my reading skills with ANY decks, not only those that click audibly. 

6 hours ago, Nemia said:

There is the theme - the art - and just a little something I can't explain. The readings make sense and I feel that I have to work more with this deck. 

The Thoth is consistent for me, the Silhouettes my go-to for shadow work, the Anna K. for family readings and the Margarete Petersen for reflection. Do they have anything in common? No. But they click with me on a deep level. So do some other decks. 

I must say though that lately I try to hone my reading skills with ANY decks, not only those that click audibly. 

This encapsulates part of what I experience Nemia.    The theme and art first must resonate with me -- and many, many do.  Once I peruse online (or buy straight away), I assess how well the theme is executed in the deck.  This, in part, can take place with beginning readings but also the creator's input is a factor. How does the book / booklet or supplemental material truly show they've done some work and compliment the pack.

The third aspect is how does the deck's art resonate with me in person.  For example , I was enamored with the Slavic Legends tarot when I saw it online. I purchased it immediately. After several readings in person, it felt flat and cartoony.  I sold it. I could not work with it -- or had no desire to, rather.  The same happened with the Haunted Mansions from that company. So now I know that their visual style is not my cup of tea. It also helps affirm my favorite deck, the Thoth, is the style of vibrancy I need in a set of cards.

Lastly, something hard to define is certainly there. That is, what unique role does the individuality of the deck serve for me.  For example, if I need the Russian Tarot of Shadows by Vera Sklyarova I know that is absolutely the perfect deck for the job.  Sometimes I want a RWS clone, other times something vastly different -- which is why I do have numerous packs in my rotation.

Occasionally a deck, especially a mass market, will pleasantly surprise me.  The Forest of Enchantment tarot comes to mind.  It offers a unique spin on the RWS and helps me understand that system better.  The accompanying book is so good it could be sold separately. Since I Started with the Thoth, the RWS has always been secondary and I love learning more about it. Juxtaposing cards from various decks, such as the 6 of Swords, makes each deck more meaningful to me as they contribute to my growth as a reader and student.

So if  a deck's minor arcana can help things "click" with me in  new ways, it has a higher chance of staying in my cabinet.

In short, there's a lot of elements to make the cut as a working deck for myself or clients.  But thankfully, the above is not an arduous process. I just work with it until I develop a relationship, or it gets passed to someone who will.

14 hours ago, Nemia said:

… they click with me on a deep level. So do some other decks. …I must say though that lately I try to hone my reading skills with ANY decks, not only those that click audibly. 

Yes I think to myself I need to be able to read with ANY deck. Technically, I can. But in practice? It’s that “little something” that needs to hit for me. Otherwise it’s just this forced march through gibberish. I think of myself as conversing with Tarot … the decks that don’t click feel like talking to someone who has a thick accent I can’t understand.

8 hours ago, Wyrdkiss said:

… The third aspect is how does the deck's art resonate with me in person.  For example , I was enamored with the Slavic Legends tarot when I saw it online. I purchased it immediately. After several readings in person, it felt flat and cartoony.  I sold it. I could not work with it -- or had no desire to, rather. 

Yes, you describe the experience I’ve had a few times since I started collecting. I like the deck just fine in the YT flip through … yet in person it just doesn’t hit.

LOL I guess it’s sort of like on-line dating. Someone might look good in the picture … but when you meet there’s no chemistry. Who knew? I need chemistry with my deck to have a good …. Uhhhh … reading with it😝

Scarlet Woodland
28 minutes ago, Misterei said:

Yes I think to myself I need to be able to read with ANY deck. Technically, I can. But in practice? It’s that “little something” that needs to hit for me. Otherwise it’s just this forced march through gibberish. I think of myself as conversing with Tarot … the decks that don’t click feel like talking to someone who has a thick accent I can’t understand.

Yes! This is how I feel exactly. I have a few decks that have felt like we're conversing in a third language that neither me nor the deck is terribly fluent in. My first tarot deck was a classic for this. Thank goodness I persevered and switched to the Druidcraft, as that positively sang for me on the first reading. I always mean to dig out that Old English Tarot and put it through its paces on DOTW but it's like reading Chaucer with a hangover.

FindYourSovereignty
On 11/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, Misterei said:

I wish it wasn't such a gamble, though. I have prolly 5+ decks that I LIKE the artwork and the deck ... yet actually reading with them ... sucks.

I suppose at some point I should sell them or donate them. I keep wondering if the click will happen later.

Have you ever not resonated with a deck at first ... but later it hit?

Yes, and several I moved on that I wish I had kept. A few I’ve had the opportunity to repurchase, but there are still a couple I really wish I had not moved along. As a fairly new reader, going on 5 years, I realize that some decks I just am not appreciating for all they have to offer because I am still learning. It is easy to get rid of ones that I simply do not like the art, but ones I am just not reading well, I store in a purgatory box until I am 100% certain I will never like the deck or a person comes along that I can sense is perfect for it. Then I can happily release it.

Edited by FindYourSovereignty

4 hours ago, FindYourSovereignty said:

Yes, and several I moved on that I wish I had kept. A few I’ve had the opportunity to repurchase, but there are still a couple I really wish I had not moved along. As a fairly new reader, going on 5 years, I realize that some decks I just am not appreciating for all they have to offer because I am still learning. It is easy to get rid of ones that I simply do not like the art, but ones I am just not reading well, I store in a purgatory box until I am 100% certain I will never like the deck or a person comes along that I can sense is perfect for it. Than I can happily release it.

I love that you call it a purgatory box 😂

FindYourSovereignty
3 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I love that you call it a purgatory box 😂

😊 Got that idea from a friend and it felt correct to continue.