Skip to content

Which card do you personally find the most difficult to interpret?

Featured Replies

I’m curious what everyone thinks.

For me, The Moon can be one of the harder cards to interpret because it can point to intuition, uncertainty, hidden information, fear, or simply not seeing the full picture yet.

Which card do you personally find the most difficult to interpret, and why?

About the Moon: sometimes, it helps to interpret the night aspect of the Moon. The intuition and wisdom of the Moon are represented by the High Priestess, and the dark, hidden, confusing, dreamlike, illusionary aspect by the Moon. So sometimes, I call it Night just to make that clear to myself.

Another card I re-named for myself (better: added a second name, like an auxiliary verb) is Death. I often call it compost - something has gone off, has turned from something nourishing into something toxic, and you have to get it out of your house and onto the compost heap. (Where it will become, much later, clean, shapeless, nourishing soil again where new things can grow).

In the RWS, I find the Five and Seven of Swords difficult to interpret for others because of the sneakiness aspect, and it can be difficult to find the right words without making the querent defensive. I find them also quite similar visually, but the Five is more like a Pyrrhus victory and you regret later, and the Seven tells you that you taking unfair advantages over others. Other decks give their own interpretations, which can make the message clearer (or not ;-) ).

Another pair of cards that I found difficult because they are too similar were the Two and Three of Wands. They are both cards of determination, goal-setting and putting your energy into something. Focusing on the images, I could see that the Two is the earlier stage; the figure just stands there and thinks and lays out their plans. In the Three, they are making their move. So I solved that, but I remember that when I started working with the RWS, I found that confusing. I was used to the Thoth where each card has such a speficic aesthetic, such a "feeling of place" that it's easier to read.

Going back to the Moon and Death cards - I guess my own auxiliary names for them were inspired by the Thoth as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.