The Mythic Tarot

sean3102

Hi! So someone close to me gave me a bunch of tarot decks she collected a while ago. One of them is older than me. It's called The Mythic Tarot A New Approach to the Tarot Cards by Juliet Sharman-Burke and Liz Greene. I've got the cards, the hardback book, and a cloth with a spread on it.

The copyright date says 1986 and the ISBN is 0 671 61863 6 Do I need to give any more information?

Any information you could give me would be much appreciated! I really like this deck so I'm definitely keeping it but I really just like knowing things.

Thanks again!

The Mythic Tarot has been and still is a very popular deck.  The original deck is worth keeping as it has become quite expensive to buy if you can find it.  So l would definitely think about keeping it.

A later New Mythic Tarot came on to the market which did not go down well with the tarot community.  It was considered a rip of the original deck.

Welcome to the forum  :)

You have the good one. A "New Mythic" was put out later, with MUCH less good artwork, and without the courtesy of telling the original artist about it. Tacky.

Here is a very good review:

http://tarotpassages.com/bursten12.htm

Here's he cards from yours with links to reviews:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic/

And here's the monstrosity that followed:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/new-mythic/

Oh ok, l will have to get my glasses on and investigate this more  ;D

It's hard to read! I wish there was a pdf of the catalogue- that would be easier on all our eyes  ;D

Your wish is my command:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uksuemtq8wsv0i/LBF-2018-EddisonBooks.pdf?dl=0

Wonderful. SO much better. Thank you, gregory!

So I reached back out to Eddison because I hadn't seen anything about this reprint in a while...and unfortunately they let me know they are no longer moving forward with reprinting the Mythic Tarot :(

They did not give a reason, but I'm curious whether they could have had trouble from US Games over rights issues. Their "New Mythic" is still in print. I don't know the story behind them shifting the artwork to begin with. Such a shame though- I don't think I've heard of anyone who doesn't feel the original art was far superior. I was looking forward to it being back in print.

So I reached back out to Eddison because I hadn't seen anything about this reprint in a while...and unfortunately they let me know they are no longer moving forward with reprinting the Mythic Tarot :(

They did not give a reason, but I'm curious whether they could have had trouble from US Games over rights issues. Their "New Mythic" is still in print. I don't know the story behind them shifting the artwork to begin with. Such a shame though- I don't think I've heard of anyone who doesn't feel the original art was far superior. I was looking forward to it being back in print.

They didn't "shift the artwork"; they redid it with another artist without letting the original artist KNOW - she found out from a thread on Aeclectic. But it wasn't USGames, who for once had nothing to do with any of this. It was Rider - the original publisher - who put out the nasty New Mythic. They behaved appallingly.

They didn't "shift the artwork"; they redid it with another artist without letting the original artist KNOW - she found out from a thread on Aeclectic. But it wasn't USGames, who for once had nothing to do with any of this. It was Rider - the original publisher - who put out the nasty New Mythic. They behaved appallingly.

Thanks, gregory. I wasn't aware of any of that. That is indeed appalling. And I don't understand why they would want to redo the artwork to begin with, when the original is so wonderful!

There were threads on AT:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=94933

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=238748

In that first thread - pot 113 from Tricia - the original artist:

I'd really like to know why they made that decision too. I did the illustrations for The Mythic Tarot and no-one asked me for my permission to copy them for this new book. It's been really interestingg reading all your comments about this, and if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have even known about the new book coming out. To say that I'm disappointed and disgusted is an understatment!

Well, darn. I got all excited about the re-release of the original Mythic and now they're not doing it?  What a shame.  😢

Has anyone heard any additional details since this thread was last updated or reached out to the publisher?  

I saw a couple of other oracles in their catalogue that I'll probably check out when/if they're released, but it's slim pickings. 

26 minutes ago, Venus Rising said:

Well, darn. I got all excited about the re-release of the original Mythic and now they're not doing it?  What a shame.  😢

Has anyone heard any additional details since this thread was last updated or reached out to the publisher?  

I saw a couple of other oracles in their catalogue that I'll probably check out when/if they're released, but it's slim pickings. 

I did send a follow-up email to Eddison to ask why they halted plans for the reprint and whether it might go ahead in the future...and they never responded unfortunately. If there were legal issues involved perhaps they're not able to discuss it. If you decide to reach out to them and hear anything, please let us know. I'm still bummed about this as well 😞

5 hours ago, RavenOfSummer said:

I did send a follow-up email to Eddison to ask why they halted plans for the reprint and whether it might go ahead in the future...and they never responded unfortunately. If there were legal issues involved perhaps they're not able to discuss it. If you decide to reach out to them and hear anything, please let us know. I'm still bummed about this as well 😞

Oh that's too bad! They could have at least replied, even if only to say "we're sorry, we cannot discuss it at this time" or something to that effect. 

Yes, I think I will reach out to them, and absolutely will pass on any information I can find. 

I got an answer from Eddison:

Thank you for getting in touch, yes The Mythic Tarot was listed in our International Rights catalogue, but unfortunatley we are unable to proceed with this title at this time . 

NOT my spelling !

I suspect a copyright issue; I SUSPECT Sharman-Burke and Caselli are protecting the nasty new one. I can't see Tricia objecting, so...