Guest Night Shade

Keeping a personal deck?

Guest Night Shade

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=127538

by Asbestos Mango

So, right now, I'm waiting for two Tarot decks that I've ordered. I'm also thinking of signing up with LivePerson to do online readings, as well as doing readings for friends and neighbors.

When I got my first Tarot deck, I used it both for readings for myself and for friends. I continued doing this when I started collecting. I never set aside a deck solely for my own use.

But for some reason, I'm getting the feeling that I should reserve a deck exclusively for my own personal readings. That deck would be the Tarot of the Saints (I've also got a Quantum Tarot coming). I wouldn't not use other decks for my own readings, I enjoy using different decks, but I just feel that there should be one deck that lives under my pillow that I use for nobody but me.

Does anybody else keep a deck exclusively for their own readings? I'm interested in getting other people's feelings on the subject.

Guest Night Shade

I don't have any decks that I've set aside just for myself, but it is an interesting idea - a deck that's infused with only your personal vibes may give you better self-readings.  In the end, though, if I did have a personal deck, and a sitter really wanted to me to use it for their reading, I probably would.  If they were drawn to it, then it might be the deck that would give them just the answer they need.

I let the deck tell me! I don't use Mary-El for clients at all. I tried once and it just didn't feel good. I've also got 2 copies of Shadowscapes and one is very smooth to use with querents and the other brings up resistance. Archeon is mainly personal, but occasionally friendly to others. Tarot of the Hidden Realm is extremely social and rarely wants to be used on a personal reading for me!

The Fifth Tarot and Tarot of the Sidhe are my personal decks, though my Circle of Seasons partner just requested a reading with the Tarot of the Sidhe so I will honor her request.  I found that deck to be one that requires a strong connection with the Sidhe so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Waking the Wild Spirit was a very personal deck for me for a long time. Poppy Palin said she didn't create the deck to be Tarot but an Oracle. It was the publishers who wanted her to tailor the deck to a Tarot. It didn't function in typical Tarot fashion but it's an amazing deck to this day even though now I use her Everyday Enchantment which she did create as a Tarot deck. The Wild Spirit didn't work very well for others when I'd read with it but was absolutely uncanny when reading on other things.

Waking the Wild Spirit was a very personal deck for me for a long time. Poppy Palin said she didn't create the deck to be Tarot but an Oracle. It was the publishers who wanted her to tailor the deck to a Tarot.

I struggled so much wanting to like that deck as Tarot deck but just could not.  I do think I will toss out the "tarot" and just treat it as an oracle and I think that will get so much more from it.  I will just go intuitive with it.

I don't use my MotherPeace Tarot for clients or for anyone else. It is, for whatever reason, a very, very personal deck for me.

My first deck, a stock RWCS deck, is one I've reserved just for me. Although as it turns out, I rarely read with it now. I like connecting with the decks I use for others, so usually I end up reading for myself with a deck that is also going to be used for others.

Hm, a personal deck? Well, yes. I have some decks, especially my playing card decks, that are very personal and only used between myself and particular magical things. And I have to say that my Noblet TDM is quite personal for me, even though I have used it for one other person.

In general, I like to keep the illustrated decks for personal use, and the TDM for general public use. So if I'm reading for others a TDM is my go-to. For personal readings, I stick with the fully pictorial decks including the RWS, and its variants.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:22 PM, Saturn Celeste said:

I have over 225 decks and they are ALL my personal decks! :lol:  I love them all!

😮that is a LOT of decks! How do you keep up with them? I had way more decks than I could handle at one time and it can't have been more than 2 dozen! 😅😅

On 5/18/2019 at 8:22 AM, Saturn Celeste said:

I have over 225 decks and they are ALL my personal decks! :lol:  I love them all!

Most things I buy out of enthusiasm and pure passion seem to remain in boxes - and not just Tarot and Oracles.  😞

I suppose it would have to be the Greenwood, Anieth Nature Tarot, Celtic Shaman's Pack and Green Wheel Oracle are just for me!

Llewellyn and Hidden Realm I'm not sure.

Shadowscapes I think I'd use for other people if the opportunity arose. I've used the Wildwood with the Greenman Oracle and the Druid Animal Oracle to read for my mum so I guess I'd use them for others as well.

1 hour ago, ashtoreth said:

😮that is a LOT of decks! How do you keep up with them? I had way more decks than I could handle at one time and it can't have been more than 2 dozen! 😅😅

I read professionally. 😉  But living in Florida, I have to cycle through my decks and shuffle them once in awhile because of the humidity.

I have personal working decks, some specifically for querents, and a few that crossover.

For example, I have 5 copies of the Thoth in my rotation and collection:

a Large sized"Greenie" that was my first purchase. I read with it once a year.

a standard-size for querents, published circa '96.

a standard-size just for myself, also from the same year.  It is exclusively for my thoughts and hands.

a German Thoth red box pocket I use for ritual and manifesting, or to keep cards out as a reminder on my altar space.

and lastly a pocket Thoth in English, trimmed borders, which is  my "anything goes" deck.

I take it on my travels, anyone can handle it, and rumors imply I've exchanged a reading for more than a few beers 🙂

My personal deck for asking about big changes in my life is he HR Giger Baphomet Tarot. It's a majors only deck but it reads beautifully. Another personal deck is the Slow Holler deck. I just feel like I get better readings for myself with that deck than when I use it for different people.