Mary-El 2nd Edition will be BORDERLESS!

Guest libra

I can't be the only one excited about this???

That is extremely exciting news, libra! :stick: This is  going to make soooo many lovers of this deck and Mary's art so happy!

i am sure Mary must be very  happy, as i know borderless was her original intention/wish for her deck.  <3

WHAT? This is excellent news!

I love almost everything about the new one --borderless, matte, black edges, the perfect size. Well, still on the large side, sure, but it matches the old image size to a T, and I have trimmed almost all my (several) copies down to that exact size, so my fingers probably won't feel the difference. And of course I'm curious about the new-and-improved book.

What I'm not in love with? The white titles are unobtrusive, but sort of generic. They worked well enough on the black border, but I'm not sure they do on the images themselves. As for the new cards... I like this Hierophant a lot more than the old one --and boy, that one was a polarizing card!  :bugeyed:  But the new 3 of Swords looks a little kitschy to me, nice enough but a very different vibe from the rest of the cards. To me, it seems to belong in a deck like the Tarot of Vampyres, if that makes sense. The other two I'm still on the fence about, as the old ones are among my personal favorites.

One way or the other, I'm preordering it, and that's that. (The preordering price on Amazon US is also a lot lower than the original's, which is surprising --but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!) Now, if someone made another, matte Sketches edition... *wink wink nudge nudge* 8)

About matte vs. glossy: True, excess gloss can be literally a pain, and detract from a reading, particularly in direct lighting. A couple of times I was on the brink of buying the Sketches special edition, but the glassy, glaring, blinding lamination stopped me cold. However, when I was able to get my hands on a matte copy of my beloved Golden Tarot (Kat Black's), I found that I missed that luxurious gloss. We are hard-to-please creatures, aren't we?

Thanks for the heads up, libra! <3

I pre-ordered on Amazon immediately. To be honest, I found the previous Hierophant really hard to work with and that was why I didn't buy the first edition. At the same time, looking at the new sanitized Hierophant, I kind of miss the older version that was so starkly dark. (I'm clearly a mess). I /love/ the new 3 of Swords that she painted -- that is honestly perfection to me, along with the new Judgement card. I'm not too sure how I feel about the High Priestess yet.

I can't wait to get it even though I really believe this deck will be difficult to work with -- gonna hunt around the forum for people's experiences with the first edition to prepare myself hehe.

Guest libra

I'm actually really sad about the 3 of Swords. In a new deck, that's one of the cards I'll rifle to to see if they did anything interesting to it, and Mary-El had one of the most powerful versions of it in regards to my own personal work with that card. Bringing it back down to the typicalish look takes away from that for me, a bit. Ah well.

Sooooo. Study group maybe when the new version is released?

Matte, Borderless, Mary-El! Definitel! Pre-ordered immediately!

But i still love and adore my trimmed Mary-El--skillfully done a couple of years ago

by our amazing Flizarraga! It is also edged in black. i can't remember if he edged it or i did...

but it is beautiful! :party:

Matte, Borderless, Mary-El! Definitel! Pre-ordered immediately!

But i still love and adore my trimmed Mary-El--skillfully done a couple of years ago

by our amazing Flizarraga! It is also edged in black. i can't remember if he edged it or i did...

but it is beautiful! :party:

I'm so glad you're happy with it, MoonGypsy! You know perfectly well that my love went with it, too.  :heartz: <3

And I can't remember if I edged it, either, but it probably was you, as I know how much you like edging your decks, and how incredible you are at it.

I'm actually really sad about the 3 of Swords. In a new deck, that's one of the cards I'll rifle to to see if they did anything interesting to it, and Mary-El had one of the most powerful versions of it in regards to my own personal work with that card. Bringing it back down to the typicalish look takes away from that for me, a bit. Ah well.

Sooooo. Study group maybe when the new version is released?

Yesssss to a study group <3 Thanks!!