No Notifications On New Threads

Starlight

I have my settings set to receive forum notifications when there are new posts in threads I follow. The notifications appear here in the forum, not via email.

My most recent threads however don't show notifications even when there's new content in threads.

When I go to the thread and try to set up notifications to correct this, I'm told that my settings aren't set up for it.

What option shoud i be clicking to get this to work?

Screenshot to follow shortly when I'm back on my pc.

silly question but are you following the threads? There are two ways of doing this....

- manually  - you press follow in the right hand corner or when you post in a thread you press notify me of replies in the left hand corner of the text entry box (it's a green switch)

- automatically - you can select in settings here there is one for threads you post in and one for threads you start. Just check also the frequency, if you do not select notification when new content is posted, I don't think it notifies when you don't get email notifications. I am not sure. I turned off all email notifications for threads and just get it instantly in the forum.

These are my settings that seem to work fine....

notifications.thumb.jpg.018b7ff98fe37e2743a1db5a3c574353.jpg

Edited by DanielJUK

Hi @DanielJUK

9 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

- manually  - you press follow in the right hand corner or when you post in a thread you press notify me of replies in the left hand corner of the text entry box (it's a green switch)

Yes, this was what I'd done with our exchange thread, but wasn't getting notifications. And when I clicked on it again to see why I had a dialog box tell me that my settings were not set up to allow notifications on new threads. Or something like that. I can't remember the exact phrasing. (PC issues yesterday so I couldn't even get a screenshot.)

Today is different. When I click on the Following button and see the drop down menu, it all looks fine.

I suppose I'll have to see what happens when you post. 🙂

There are so many ways to get notifications, that it's quite possible what I had in one place was interfering with settings in another....

9 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

- automatically - you can select in settings here there is one for threads you post in and one for threads you start. Just check also the frequency, if you do not select notification when new content is posted, I don't think it notifies when you don't get email notifications. I am not sure. I turned off all email notifications for threads and just get it instantly in the forum.

Yes, I have email notifications switched off but I don't automatically follow content I post in or reply to. Further down that Notifications window are other settings to do with posting and replying which I have switched on.

So, in summary there are three places that we can change notification settings that I know of. There's the Follow icon on a thread; the Notifications window you showed above, and also the Manage Followed Content window:

621951773_FollowedContent.thumb.png.08dfef004cd3f39680ea18dc289ec67f.png

It's possible something somewhere was interfering with something somewhere else.

I'll wait and see how it goes from now on.

Thanks for helping, Daniel! 🙂