Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 11 : September 23 - September 29

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks. Each week we will be picking a new deck to work with exclusively for the week.

Anyone is welcome. Please join us!

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1. VGimlet - Healing Light Tarot

2. Trogon - The Gilded Tarot and A'HA Oracle

3. Bodhiseed - Da Vinci Enigma Tarot & Insectorum Divinorum Oracle

4. Bookworm - Anna K. Tarot

5. Page of Ghosts - Ostara Tarot & The Halloween Tarot

6. Lantana - Sasuraibito & Slutist Tarot

7. Queen of Nothing - Madam Clara Sees All

8. jema - Dreaming Way

9. AJ-ish - Shaman's Oracle

10. Carojulie - Fantastic Menagerie tarot.

(321)

I have completely enjoyed the past two weeks with the Thoth Tarot. Every reading has been a learning experience ... finding nuances and adding new meanings to the cards. And, I'm fairly certain I'll be back to that deck fairly soon. But I need a break from Mr. Crowley I think. ;)

This week, I'm in with the Gilded Tarot (Marchetti). I got this deck quite a while back, and I'm not sure if I've even done a new deck reading with it. I'm continuing with the A'HA Oracle. I might try combining them this week. :o

Trogon - The Gilded Tarot and A'HA Oracle

Very tempted to switch decks as I just got both the VisaVersa Tarot, and the Asherah and I think the Healing light might end up being "meh"...but I'll stick with it anyway.

And yes, I WILL actually be able to do the thread over my vacation - I'll be home, just not working, my cold-meds induced lack of clear communication was a big confusing.  :P    I rarely if ever go anywhere that doesn't have Wi-Fi (oh, the HORROR!)  LOL. 

Well ... you've always said there's little in the way of rules. That rule would apply to you as well, right? So ... you'd be allowed to change too. ;)

Page of Ghosts

I had fun with my 2 decks from the 70's but I'm so in for something other the next week! I'm feeling like going back to the Ostara this week - it is kind of autumnal despite the spring equinox-name. Maybe I'll have a look at the Halloween Tarot as well.

Page of Ghosts - Ostara Tarot & The Halloween Tarot

Well ... you've always said there's little in the way of rules. That rule would apply to you as well, right? So ... you'd be allowed to change too. ;)

Heh, true.  But I might shuffle it to the back of the row forever too (I am really good at procrastinating when I don't want to do something...) so better to get it out of the way now.    And who knows, I could be wrong about the deck, too.    It's happened.    8)

I've been enjoying my weeks with the Sasuraibito even though I feel like I have yet to discover what makes this deck stand out in my collection. (Maybe it can just be the art?) Part of me wants to keep on with it, but a bigger part of me is itching to move on to something new.  :P

ETA: On second thought, nope, gonna stick with the Sasuraibito!

Still enjoying the landscapes of the Arthurian but this week I am going for a bit of a change.

Arthurian will be on the backburner (gonna just do a weekly draw the rest of the year with it) and I am picking up Dreaming Way.

Something about it is so crisp and clear, like the air a good autumn day.

so

jema - Dreaming Wau

This week I'll be using the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, created by Caitlin Matthews and published by Connections. Along with it, I'll be drawing from a self-published oracle created by Esmeralda Rupp-Spangle called the Insectorum Divinorum. Today's cards are the Nine of Earth (Pentacles) and Queen Bee:

9earth.jpgqueenbee.jpg

Occupy a rightful space, neither too much nor too little. Focus neither on your own virtues nor the faults of others. ~ Alan Morinis

The dimmi (or questions) for the Nine of Earth are: Where is your rightful place? What is the necessary attitude to take here? I think Mussar (the Jewish practice of ethics) would base the answer to both questions on its definition of humility. Humility is defined as “limiting oneself to an appropriate space while leaving room for others.” This space includes not just the physical, but also what is emotional, verbal, or even metaphorical. The right amount of space can be situational; a judge might hold a larger space in a courtroom, but at a parent-teacher meeting his or her space would be much smaller. While arrogance can make us take us too much space, fear can cause us to take up too little (which is not true humility). Sometimes there may be a space that needs to be occupied by us, and we must stretch ourselves to fill it. The Queen Bee card implies the burden of responsibility (stretching to fill our role). With more skill and experience, more obligations accumulate. To state this biblically, to whom much is given, much will be required. Yet Rupp-Spangle cautions that such a weight can become unbearable, and thus we must not forget to step back and recuperate. It's good to give up our seat occasionally, even if it is only temporary.

I ended up buying a new deck this weekend and didn't realize until now that the shipping is only going to take a few days instead of the usual week, so I'll go ahead and add Slutist Tarot to my decks this week and just switch over when I receive it. Sorry VG!  :-[

Lantana - Sasuraibito Tarot & Slutist Tarot

I used the Sasuraibito today for a bridge spread and WOW, best reading I've had with it so far. Before it came across as kind of simple, with the readings not really giving me a lot to chew on, sort of similar to how the Raven's Prophecy reads (short and sweet). I did a Celtic Cross with it on the new moon and the reading kind of left me dry because nothing seemed to connect very well like it does with my other big spread faves, but this spread was clear as day and had me seeing cards like the Four of Wands and the Ten of Wands in a different perspective. Perhaps this deck is more of a medium-spread champ, or just needs a spread that really flows to get going, or maybe I just needed to warm up to it... I'll have to conduct more experiments!

oh the insect one looks so cool and I kinda feel icky about insects normally.

The cards are teeny (1 3/4 by 2 1/2 inches), but the lwb that comes with the 32 cards is well done. The meanings aren't random, but fit the bug. :D

Hello !

Oh, I am late to register this week  :-[

I have not had much time last week to work and post about my Tarot of Prague, and it is a deck that deserves time, so I meant to keep it this week... but in the mean time, something rather cool happened to me : I scored on Ebay for a somewhat reasonable price, one of my most lusted after unicorn deck : the Fantastic Menagerie tarot.

So, I will put the Tarot of Prague away for the week, and devote myself to the Fantastic Menagerie right now. I'll be back to give you my first impressions ! Have a great day everybody !

Carojulie - Fantastic Menagerie tarot.

EmpyreanKnight

Ah, so this is where the old DOTW hangs out. I would love to participate next week since I think I'm quite late to this particular party. :)

I love the Fantastic Menagerie Tarot Carojulie! It's really light and whimsical, and has such an antique feel because of the illustration style. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Glad you found us EmpyreanKnight! DotW is still going strong! Though the count started new when we moved here, VG is continuing the count from AT at the end of the first post of each week (just in case you were wondering about that).

First off; The Guilded Tarot is a beautiful deck (as are all by Ciro Marchetti). It is rooted in the RWS tradition and most of the images reflect that, though Ciro has definitely put his own spin to them. The 8 of Wands, for example, is very similar to the RWS card, though it shows the wands at the beginning of their flight (pointing upwards) rather than the end. The hanged man shows the man chained by his foot to a wheel with a solar symbol in it. (I just mention these because they came up in my daily reading.) This was, I believe, Ciro's first Tarot deck and it is beautiful, and it makes me want to get more of his work.

So, as I was getting out my Gilded Tarot yesterday, I checked for a "new deck reading" and found that, apparently, I had not done one! So, when I got to work tonight I figured that would be my first reading (though I did a reading with for a friend on-line earlier today). So, anyway, here is my new deck reading for the Guilded Tarot;

1) (What will you teach me?) Ace of Swords-rx: Kind of "not thinking too much". The deck will help me to be less "analytical" in my thinking with Tarot. I still have a tendency, sometimes, to try to think through "book meanings". This will be an intuitive deck to use. It should help me to let go more during readings.

2) (What do you need from me?) 3 of Wands: Just need to use the deck. Setting out and doing things, doing readings. This deck "wants" to be used.

3) (What will our relationship be like?) The Emperor: Confident. This deck will help me to be more confident in what I see in readings. I do still have a tendency to doubt myself in some readings, especially in some that are "negative" in nature. Working with this deck should help to build more confidence for these. It should also help me to build more confidence in readings for "strangers".

EmpyreanKnight

Glad you found us EmpyreanKnight! DotW is still going strong! Though the count started new when we moved here, VG is continuing the count from AT at the end of the first post of each week (just in case you were wondering about that).

Thanks Trogon! Oh so that's what the number between the parentheses mean. 321 - that means the DOTW has been going on for more than six years! That's quite an achievement, and I'm glad to be part of this again. :D

Thanks Trogon! Oh so that's what the number between the parentheses mean. 321 - that means the DOTW has been going on for more than six years! That's quite an achievement, and I'm glad to be part of this again. :D

That is a long time! I hadn't actually thought of it in terms of years. Wow. I've been rather sporadic in my participation over the years. I wonder when I started in DotW?

Ah, so this is where the old DOTW hangs out. I would love to participate next week since I think I'm quite late to this particular party. :)

Join us!  We all float...I mean, the water is fine, LOL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.