Your dream Tarot deck

EmpyreanKnight

EmpyreanKnight

Do you have any concept that you wished existed as a Tarot Deck? Something that has never been applied in a cartomantic framework before, or was already in production but never made it to publication. It can be a person, an ideology, TV show, book series, etc.

On my part, I've heard that they planned to release an Anne Rice Tarot deck before, but it fell through. I've read that her Christian phase had something to do with it? I wonder how it would have been like if it pushed through.

Also, I know that there are Angel, Saint, and even Buddha Tarot decks, but has there ever been a legit 78-deck Demons Tarot? I think there are only 72 Goetic demons (countered by the 72 Shemhamphorash angels?), so I wonder how they would expand that.

EmpyreanKnight

I remember when I said in a religion thread (not here) that there could never be any biblical Tarot, since the Church would just swing its mighty arm and crush the heretical thing out of existence. Turned out that the Doré Bible Tarot was already a thing.

I have a passion for history, and once I remarked that I hope there was an Ancient Rome Tarot deck. I mean, could there really ever be such a thing? How would that be marketable? An expert remarked that the Sola Busca might be what I'm looking for and I was dumb-founded.

So yeah I hope there would be some surprises in store ITT. :)

RavenOfSummer

On my part, I've heard that they planned to release an Anne Rice Tarot deck before, but it fell through. I've read that her Christian phase had something to do with it? I wonder how it would have been like if it pushed through.

Wow I love the idea of an Anne Rice Tarot!

I would love to see a Jazz Tarot. I think some of the greats could maybe be featured in the Majors and/or on the Courts. Duke Ellington (The Hierophant?), Miles Davis (The Chariot?), Billie Holiday (The Moon?), John Coltrane (The Magician?), Ella Fitzgerald (The Star?)...Sun Ra would be an obvious choice for The Sun. And then the minors could potentially be instruments. I would see probably Saxophones as Cups, maybe Drums (with drumsticks) as Wands, Basses as Pentacles, Trumpets as Swords. Something like that. Obviously a lot of thought (that I haven't done) would have to go into it to make it good, but there needs to be a Jazz Tarot!

Similarly, I would love to see a Blues Tarot. Featuring greats like Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt etc. And I think it's a great fit, so much rich lore that could tie in with The Devil, Death etc.

I saw somewhere else a suggestion for an Edgar Allan Poe deck. I remember when I first started getting into tarot and realized there were about a gazillion decks out there and started exploring all the themes and ideas available, I assumed there had to be a Poe deck. It just seemed like such an obvious choice given all the decks out there. I remember I confidently took to Google just knowing I would find a Poe Tarot. And I was quite surprised to learn that one did not exist! I ended up buying a pack of Edgard Allan Poe playing cards. I don't read playing cards, but I like the deck very much and enjoy playing games with it and just looking at the cards. But still hoping for a Poe Tarot someday.

Also, would love to see a Rainy Day Tarot, and perhaps a Rainy Day Oracle to go with it. For the tarot, I could see a deck perhaps with traditional RWS-based scenes, but everything is happening in the rain. And a related oracle could feature cards like Boots, Cloudy Skies, Hearth...

I also think an Andy Warhol Tarot would be fun.

chongjasmine

I love the idea of a biblical deck, one that portrays Jesus as the magician, and portrays biblical figures or holy saints in a nice manner.

Page of Ghosts

A Final Fantasy tarot, no doubt!

I know Yoshitaka Amano did a tarot deck a long time ago but it isn't a Final Fantasy deck :'( If he would illustrate one I'd be ecstatic! There is so much rich lore in the games that could fit into the tarot.. the only question is if it would be centered around one game (especially since the Majors and the four suits have a sort of loose narrative) or if there could be scenes and characters from all the games that fit the different cards. I'm partial to FF IV through X so those would have to be represented well.. maybe one game per suit and another one for the Majors  ;D

I want a super accurate tarot deck filled only with the gods of ancient Egypt.

It needs to be borderless, black on the back, with golden gilded edges.  Perhaps foil on the cards for shiny accents.

Something worthy of them.

EmpyreanKnight

That sounds like an ultra luxe Nefetari's Tarot that exclusively features the Egyptian pantheon, Little Fang.

Also, I'd like a Mad Monarchs Tarot deck, featuring the crazy kings, czars, empresses, sultans, etc of history.

That sounds like an ultra luxe Nefetari's Tarot that exclusively features the Egyptian pantheon, Little Fang.

Also, I'd like a Mad Monarchs Tarot deck, featuring the crazy kings, czars, empresses, sultans, etc of history.

Close, but that one mostly shows ancient peoples doing their thing with some gods thrown in.  ;D

Sometimes I wish there was like, a Texas Tarot in the vein of the recent American South decks, but then I realize what I really want is a deck about my hometown. Maybe one day I'll make one for just myself.

Queen of Nothing

I really, really want a good Lord of the Rings deck. I know there's one out there ready, but the game system on it makes it unattractive to me. One based on the films would be nice. Or if its based on the books, I want it to dig deep into the mythos, going into the Simarillion.

Similarly, I would love to see a Blues Tarot. Featuring greats like Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt etc. And I think it's a great fit, so much rich lore that could tie in with The Devil, Death etc.

I really love the idea of a Blues tarot deck. Blues history is just teeming with mysticism and the occult.

Sometimes I wish there was like, a Texas Tarot in the vein of the recent American South decks, but then I realize what I really want is a deck about my hometown. Maybe one day I'll make one for just myself.

A Texas tarot would be so cool!

Especially if the Alamo is in it.  8)

RavenOfSummer

I really, really want a good Lord of the Rings deck. I know there's one out there ready, but the game system on it makes it unattractive to me. One based on the films would be nice. Or if its based on the books, I want it to dig deep into the mythos, going into the Simarillion.

I really love the idea of a Blues tarot deck. Blues history is just teeming with mysticism and the occult.

I second your idea for an LOTR deck that really digs deep into the mythos of Middle Earth- that would be wonderful. There really isn't a deck that does justice to that...there's SO MUCH there. This seems like a prime project for a Tolkien fan deck creator!