Andy

Newbies studying the Rider Waite Tarot

Andy

I had this idea to start this thread for anyone who is brand new to Tarot and learning from the Rider Waite. If you have any insights on the Rider Waite Smith deck and/or helpful tips for reading and understanding the cards, please share them here?¬†ūüė䬆Welcome all, and here we go....

I love how the more I learn about this deck, the more I also learn about myself. Anyone else experiencing this? I used to feel that my logical mind was causing me to place intuitive blocks on myself. But I'm learning that isn't true at all. Turns out I'm much more intuitive than I thought I was, using it in pretty much every situation. 

Edited by Andy

Margo

Oh yes! I also feel like when I learn about planetary or elemental associations with the cards I make connections that I wouldn't have otherwise and it's so insightful for understanding myself and the world. Learning can feel so nurturing.

Andy
7 minutes ago, Margo said:

Oh yes! I also feel like when I learn about planetary or elemental associations with the cards I make connections that I wouldn't have otherwise and it's so insightful for understanding myself and the world. Learning can feel so nurturing.

I completely agree! ūüėä Learning is awesome!!¬†

Gizmocrystal

I'm a newby too! I thought I was doing well until a reading I did turned out to be wrong. I'm hoping to get some help with it when I get my 5 posts in!!

gregory

Who says it was wrong ? And loads of people don't hit paydirt every time !

Grace

Yep! Me!-ish. In the sense that I've started doing it for friends and so the motivation to be better and faster at it has cropped up. It wasn't there before when I was doing for myself. 

Geo6900

i a

I am finding that

I spend more time using the RWS because most of the free knowledge offered online is based on it. At first, I didn't even have an RWS deck. I first bought a Tarot Grand Luxe because I am an artist and the drawings on RWS were a little crude to my eye. But I am starting to see how well they work, having so many symbols in each one and the simplicity of the drawings actually makes it easier to see them. I have been using the Grand Luxe but in some cases I feel I don't get as much to go on because extra symbols, like a horse with the knight are missing, so I learn the traditional in addition to my initial feelings on the cards. 

Jewel13

HI

I am looking for ways to start to learning the meanings of the cards. I saw thew newbie circle, but I think I would a disaster as I am still too reliant on Google and don't thread the cards together. I did some searching on this site, but couldn't find anything. I thought there was an area for beginners getting started, but perhaps I missed... I would appreciate some guidance. Thank you! 

chongjasmine

I love RWS deck. It is my favourite deck.

Sace
On 7/6/2020 at 7:30 AM, Jewel13 said:

HI

I am looking for ways to start to learning the meanings of the cards. I saw thew newbie circle, but I think I would a disaster as I am still too reliant on Google and don't thread the cards together. I did some searching on this site, but couldn't find anything. I thought there was an area for beginners getting started, but perhaps I missed... I would appreciate some guidance. Thank you! 

@Jewel13 I encourage you to give the Newbie's circle a try. I just did my first one and I'm still a googler and I struggle to string cards/story together.

Also, it's a little pedestrian but there are some tarot study decks on Quizlet. 

and_it_spoke

I've found this helpful: In addition to reading about the general symbology of the RWS deck as 'high level' background, take time to meditate on a card. And I don't mean lock yourself in a room alone with the card. Though if that's your bag...

Turn over a card, do your best to remember it's meaning, then look up the meaning Then just keep the card in your head all day. Keep it next to you if possible. Think about the meaning and the image and let the associations grow. These are going to be pretty rote associations at first, but the more time you dwell on the card, you'll start making some personal associations and then larger, more complicated associations. And these associations will inform your readings, as you'll be building a mental library of ways the card can come into play or have different applied meanings.

It's a slower process. Not thrilling in an 'instant gratification' kind of way, but I've found it very helpful. The process seems to help link together 'textbook' reading with more 'intuitive' reading

TarotMuse

The RWS is probably the best deck for starters the illustrations are quite easy to understand, When i first started reading with the deck many years ago I would lay all the cards out on my bed then choose one, i would write down whatever words and impressions came to mind about that card. Then I would compare my impressions with what was described in the LWB, this helped me a lot. 

iMoodyCrab
On 2/27/2020 at 12:31 AM, Gizmocrystal said:

I'm a newby too! I thought I was doing well until a reading I did turned out to be wrong. I'm hoping to get some help with it when I get my 5 posts in!!

I generally go with the preconceived notion that the cards are never wrong, perhaps our interpretation is mistaken but the cards never lie. So be assured your reading was correct, we are all here to help with possible interpretations of it. 

TarotMuse
On 2/26/2020 at 8:31 PM, Gizmocrystal said:

Did you use a card spread for your reading, most beginners will try using a large spread like the Celtic cross which can be to many cards to start with. I would try and do a three card spread to give you a break down on the past, present and future.