Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 167 : September 19 - September 25

VGimlet

I must say, @Gardener, though it seems you are probably right about readings with the Wild Unknown Archetype Cards, I have never been more tempted about that deck than by your posts! What do you think of the backs, with the gem? I am a huge lover of gems and crystals, but something about the backs is too gaudy for me...

The Japaridze is lovely but not easily shufflable/carryable, which lends to me dreading getting it out a bit. It used to be a favorite deck, but it has been difficult for me to connect with it right now. Not sure if it’s an energy/time of year clash or what.

Hi Vulprix,

The backs aren't gaudy at all.  They aren't black and white so much as various unfocused grays.  Very soft.

In other enablement news, the packaging is to die for.  The cards themselves are in an adorable round box, and that's nested inside a big box with the book.  All very tactile, fun to play with.  

I have mixed feelings about the book.  The intro and the suggested spreads are very good, but the actual "meanings" of the cards I find slightly unsatisfying.  I think in a way that might be on purpose - Kim wants you to work out what the archetypes mean to you, how they manifest in your own personal experience.  So these aren't much like a tarot deck.  I'm not sure you could really use them for divination.  They are more for self-reflection, and it's almost like they are asking you questions rather than telling you answers.  

If you've ever tried to shuffle a round deck, you know it can be done, but it's a little awkward.  I actually enjoyed the challenge.

Here's an example of an Actual Reading I tried.  I asked - I am jealous because my boss prefers one of my co-workers.  How should I handle this?

Fears - The River

Advice - The Underworld

Outcome - The Warrior

The description of The River was the water that washes away all blame, sweet forgiveness.  The Underworld was your classic Dark Night of the Soul and The Warrior knows that the fight is life or death.

So I really couldn't related those cards to my problem at all.  In fact, I decided that I was going to read The Warrior "reversed" because a petty office jealousy is as far from "life or death" as you can get.

But I did think about those three cards and applied them to my efforts to write a novel that I struggle with, and that was a very fruitful contemplation.

My point is - I don't think you can use them like Tarot for specific problems, but they are very thought-provoking.  And beautiful.

2 hours ago, Gardener said:

Here's an example of an Actual Reading I tried.  I asked - I am jealous because my boss prefers one of my co-workers.  How should I handle this?

Fears - The River

Advice - The Underworld

Outcome - The Warrior

The description of The River was the water that washes away all blame, sweet forgiveness.  The Underworld was your classic Dark Night of the Soul and The Warrior knows that the fight is life or death.

So I really couldn't related those cards to my problem at all.  In fact, I decided that I was going to read The Warrior "reversed" because a petty office jealousy is as far from "life or death" as you can get

It definitely sounds like you need to work with these on your own terms. If you were to relook at these cards without the aid of the book how would you interpret them? 

The River could be that you Fear your boss is moving away from you and there is nothing you can do.

These three cards together put me in mind of the Greek Hero (Warrior) journeying to the Underworld to complete his quest, with the River card being the River Styx. So maybe you need to be like that Hero and pay the toll so you can cross the river. 

Maybe this is your Archilles Heel. Archilles was dipped in that Underworld River after all. 

It sounds like working with these cards is really going to challenge how you read cards in general! 😉

Fee, you are really helping me to get to a better working relationship with this deck!  It appears that in the past I've used two techniques in reading tarot cards (I've never worked with an oracle before and for that matter I have to say the Archetype cards don't seem like a typical oracle.  If there is such a thing.). My two tried-and-true techniques have been 1) book meaning and 2) pure intuition.  Contrascarpe uses pure intuition, and tried that technique on these cards.  But I found that unsatisfying, because the whole point of working with this deck is - I believe - to dig into what the archetypes mean to you/me/whoever.  They're not just pretty pictures designed to spark the intuition.  I think they're more complex.  I really like your way of reading the archetypes, it's playful and full of narrative and allusion.  I want to see if I can think that way.  Thanks for the conversation!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.