Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 167 : September 19 - September 25

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a deck (or decks) to work with for the week.

All are welcome. Please join us!      The only rules we have are the Tarot Tea & Me rules; be respectful to each other.    

You can drop in and out,  time and real life permitting.   New to tarot?  Long time reader?   Come on in.  

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1.  VGimlet - Murder of Crows Tarot

2. Gardener - Wild Unknown Archetype Cards

3. TheFeeLion - Tarot of the Divine

4. Madame Squee - Murder of Crows Tarot

5. vulprix - Japaridze Tarot & the Animal Spirit oracle

6. Amberjune - Mystical Cats Tarot and the Divine Flow Affirmation cards

7. Bodhiseed -Nature Spirit Tarot paired with the Australian Wildflower Cards

8. QueenOfSpades - Dreaming Way Tarot

9. AJ-ish/Sharyn - Legend the Arthurian Tarot

(477)

Edited by VGimlet

I'll be using the interesting Murder of Crows Tarot this week, and looking forward to the switch, the EAP was FINE, for a themed deck of the  author/artist/etc. type, but the Crows seems much more atmospheric.   

Edited by VGimlet

Hi VGimlet,

I am not the most observant person, but aren't you the one who normally spends 4 weeks with each deck?  And didn't you start the EAP last week?  I guess you were seduced by those lovely pictures posted by Miss Squee.  I admit, the Murder of Crows is calling my name too, now!

I am sorry I missed last week - I was focused on the 78 week study and ISG.  So many happy playgrounds!  But I am back this week, with the Wild Unknown Archetype Cards by Kim Kranz.  These are new to me, and I've been sitting with the first three cards I drew for 3 weeks now, baffled as to what, exactly I'm supposed to do with them.  I've very little experience with oracle decks, and I noticed that many DOTW-ers use an oracle in conjunction with a tarot deck.  How does that work for you, my friends?  How do you work with oracles in general, and does anyone work with archetypes in particular.

I'm in this week again with Tarot of the Divine 😊

@Gardener I started off with oracle's, Froud's Faeries Oracle in particular. Tbh I generally find they're just like using Tarot but with less cards. It all depends on the deck as to how I use them though. My Faeries Oracle I'll quite happily do bigger spreads with (there's 65 cards and a good mix of light a dark). I've got another, the Dark Mirror Oracle, which has more like 40 something cards and it's pretty intense, so sometimes I'll pull a couple of cards to get an overview of the spread in question.

Did you randomly draw cards with your deck or did you have a question? I've found oracle cards can sometimes be like an ISG exercise where you get to use everything in the card. 

Side note: a horse is an interesting choice for The Hunter card. Unless it could be like riding the horse to go hunting?? 

I like those Wild Unknown Archetype cards!    I may have to give in to the lure.  

Gardner, I use all my new decks for a week, and if I have no new decks I pick one of the decks on my "more later" list to use for 4 weeks.  That list is currently in a box  in the my husband's junk room while we remodel the former guestroom/library into what will be a library/craft room.   (His junk room will become his workroom/hobby room)  Currently I'm using decks I "think" were on the list while I wait for my actual notebook to be unearthed.  

When I first started doing the DOTW (a while before this thread was created)  I had many decks I'd never read with, so that was my first goal. 

Oracle decks, and Majors decks I usually use with a tarot, but there have been a few oracles that were better on their own.   It just depends.   I use archetypes a lot in my readings which are  a combination of archetypes, symbolism in the art, and intuition.  

For my daily draws, I have a tiny notebook with hundreds of three card spreads and I go through that notebook.  When I'm doing a reading that isn't a daily draw, for myself or someone else, I'll start out with a 3 card draw (usually past present future) and then pull cards until the reading is finished, with no specific spread.   I find this works better for me than the traditional spreads, or using spreads at all.  But I will, sometimes, if I want.  😛    I know, clear as mud, right?  

This week I will be working with the Mystical Cats Tarot, a Lewellyn deck, and the Divine Flow Affirmation cards, this is a German deck by Cecilia Sifontes.

Wishing everybody a good week ahead and happy Rosh Hashana for all who celebrate.

I laid out three cards for myself last night.

The Knight of Wands, 10 of Swords and 7 of Coins turned up.

My interpretation: Pay attention to what's eating you. Stop turning away from it. Take care of it. 

I know what this is, and I will. 

MOC Knw 10s 7p.jpg

On 9/17/2020 at 9:36 PM, TheFeeLion said:

I started off with oracle's, Froud's Faeries Oracle in particular. Tbh I generally find they're just like using Tarot but with less cards. It all depends on the deck as to how I use them though. My Faeries Oracle I'll quite happily do bigger spreads with (there's 65 cards and a good mix of light a dark). I've got another, the Dark Mirror Oracle, which has more like 40 something cards and it's pretty intense, so sometimes I'll pull a couple of cards to get an overview of the spread in question.

Did you randomly draw cards with your deck or did you have a question? I've found oracle cards can sometimes be like an ISG exercise where you get to use everything in the card. 

Side note: a horse is an interesting choice for The Hunter card. Unless it could be like riding the horse to go hunting?? 

Hi TheFeeLion,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I really appreciate your thoughtful answer and I'm eager to respond to your questions.  I'm fascinated by what you said about using a couple oracle cards to "get an overview of the spread".  I've never thought of doing that, but it's a really appealing idea, for example when you've drawn 5-7 cards from your chosen tarot and you don't feel like you've totally captured the querent's concern.  I can't wait to try that.  I've never used oracles at all.  I own a couple oracle decks, but I bought them for the art.  One of the Goddess sets, where each card is a goddess from a different religion.  Beautiful art.  I just look through that deck.  But now I like the idea that a person could read a complete spread, and then ask for one goddess to pay attention to, as part of the question or concern.  I've been thinking about how most readings seem to be about work or family, and really what we're saying is, I need help finding a new way to think about a problem.  I could see that choosing one Goddess to meditate with could be helpful.  It might work similarly with Froud's Faeries.  

Your question about whether I drew randomly hits the nail on the head.  I just drew randomly with no question, just a vague interest to have a focus for starting my study of the deck.  The first card was "The Mother" and I didn't want to start with such an over discussed concept.  I wanted something more unusual, to get to know the idiosyncrasies of this deck.  So random draw as an introduction.  No wonder "The Desert" didn't give me any illumination - I hadn't asked a question!  So obvious in retrospect!

I completely agree that reading Oracle cards would be done intuitively, exploring all the imagery.  I did read the book though.  I can't resist the book.  I read somewhere that if you rely too much on the book, you reduce the cards to "mere illustration".  I try to avoid that.

I think the Horse, based on the book write-up, is meant to be the Hunter's companion, not the Hunter itself.  Imagine all the millions of horses that have gone on hunts, with no hunting instinct of their own.  What an odd thought...

Thanks so much for the conversation!

On 9/18/2020 at 5:52 PM, VGimlet said:

I like those Wild Unknown Archetype cards!    I may have to give in to the lure.  

Gardner, I use all my new decks for a week, and if I have no new decks I pick one of the decks on my "more later" list to use for 4 weeks.  That list is currently in a box  in the my husband's junk room while we remodel the former guestroom/library into what will be a library/craft room.   (His junk room will become his workroom/hobby room)  Currently I'm using decks I "think" were on the list while I wait for my actual notebook to be unearthed.  

When I first started doing the DOTW (a while before this thread was created)  I had many decks I'd never read with, so that was my first goal. 

Oracle decks, and Majors decks I usually use with a tarot, but there have been a few oracles that were better on their own.   It just depends.   I use archetypes a lot in my readings which are  a combination of archetypes, symbolism in the art, and intuition.  

For my daily draws, I have a tiny notebook with hundreds of three card spreads and I go through that notebook.  When I'm doing a reading that isn't a daily draw, for myself or someone else, I'll start out with a 3 card draw (usually past present future) and then pull cards until the reading is finished, with no specific spread.   I find this works better for me than the traditional spreads, or using spreads at all.  But I will, sometimes, if I want.  😛    I know, clear as mud, right?  

Hi VGimlet,

Your deck rotation process is intriguing!  I could never be so disciplined.  I love hopping around.  Although the structure of this DOTW thread has been pushing me to look at my decks more methodically, which feels good.

When you say you use oracle decks with a tarot, how do you do that?  TheFeeLion gave the suggestion of drawing two cards toward the end of the reading, as a sort of final message.  At least, that's how I understood her.  Do you do something different?  I've never really tried to use an oracle deck in a spread, and I'm curious how others use them.

Your description of a typical reading style, 3 cards then additional cards - I've done it EXACTLY that way sometimes myself, if I am comfortable with the querent, like  if it's an old friend.  Or for myself.  If I don't know the querent, I like the structure of spread positions.

I guess I hadn't really thought about it, but even with non-RWS decks I tend to keep the standard keywords in my mind, even though I'm looking at the images.  So maybe that's why I haven't read with oracle decks.  I didn't realize I was so attached to the standard RWS meanings!!  Recently I did a purely intuitive reading and I got the Devil and it was a pretty Devil, the interpretation of the devil as seduction.  And I was hard pressed not to include the harsher aspect of the card in my reading, although intuitively they didn't belong.  Maybe working with Oracles would break me of that habit.

When you say there are a few oracles that work well on their own - would you make a couple suggestions?

Thanks!

This week I'll be using the Nature Spirit Tarot, a book and deck set created and self-published by Jean Marie Herzel. I'll also be drawing from the Australian Wildflower Reading Cards, a set created by Cheralyn Darcey and published by Rockpool. Today's cards are the Eight of Wands and Sydney Rock Rose:

eight%2Bwands.jpgsydney%2Brock%2Brose_0002.jpg

The eight crystal-tipped wands are rooted in lavender plants and backed by common horsetail. Whatever effort has been applied and resources used are now producing some results that are coming in for a landing. The lavender suggests that I not run around like I have ants in my pants, but slow down and wait calmly. The horsetail comes from a prehistoric lineage; its rhizomes can pierce through the soil up to 6 feet in depth. This plant encourages me to stick to the wisdom of facts rather than spin off into speculation. Garden centers that sell the Sydney Rock Rose advertise it as a tough shrub that thrives on neglect. In other words, it embraces whatever conditions it finds itself in. It endorses acceptance, the ability to accept reality as it is and come to grips with what can be changed and what can't. As those eight wands make a landing, the end result might not look like I envisioned it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a failure, just a bit different than expected. As chapter 2: 47 of the  Bhagavad Gita cautions, do the work but don't get attached to the outcome. 

I'm in with Legend the Arthurian Tarot this week, thank you VG. Lovely to see a nice long list of co-readers this week! 

I'm organized because I have memory problems...if I didn't have a list, I'd use the same deck every 3 weeks because I wouldn't remember I'd already used it 🙂 This year when I updated my lists of what had been purchased since the last list, and dropping what I've decided to sell or gift on, I added the date last used, which has been quite helpful actually. Here is a sample of this years current Oracle use, the typed date being last used, the hand written date being when I've used it since the list was updated.  and the lighter print is decks I have scanned into the computer. I use those decks when we are on the road so I have the image for my blog posts. 

Going through all my decks is part of my goal toward good fiscal responsibility. I don't want to own anything I don't use. Being organized about it is just my personality type. 

oracle list.jpg

based on several conversations here I pulled the trigger on the Madam Lydia Wilhelmina's Tarot this morning, it will be my Samhain choice. On the other hand I canceled 3 kickstarters I'd backed. They didn't need my support in the end, and I think all three would have been one deck wonders, used and then discarded. I still like the Architect's one, watercolor,  forms panorama's but $70+ shipping is above my cut off point. 

8 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hi VGimlet,

Your deck rotation process is intriguing!  I could never be so disciplined.  I love hopping around.  Although the structure of this DOTW thread has been pushing me to look at my decks more methodically, which feels good.

When you say you use oracle decks with a tarot, how do you do that?  TheFeeLion gave the suggestion of drawing two cards toward the end of the reading, as a sort of final message.  At least, that's how I understood her.  Do you do something different?  I've never really tried to use an oracle deck in a spread, and I'm curious how others use them.

Your description of a typical reading style, 3 cards then additional cards - I've done it EXACTLY that way sometimes myself, if I am comfortable with the querent, like  if it's an old friend.  Or for myself.  If I don't know the querent, I like the structure of spread positions.

I guess I hadn't really thought about it, but even with non-RWS decks I tend to keep the standard keywords in my mind, even though I'm looking at the images.  So maybe that's why I haven't read with oracle decks.  I didn't realize I was so attached to the standard RWS meanings!!  Recently I did a purely intuitive reading and I got the Devil and it was a pretty Devil, the interpretation of the devil as seduction.  And I was hard pressed not to include the harsher aspect of the card in my reading, although intuitively they didn't belong.  Maybe working with Oracles would break me of that habit.

When you say there are a few oracles that work well on their own - would you make a couple suggestions?

Thanks!

I tend to hop around when I'm using my "More Later" decks, because it's a lot more fun.   And sometimes I'm not in the MOOD for certain decks.   When I have a backlog of decks I haven't read with I tend to choose them in the order they arrived, just to stay caught up, but if one really calls to me I jump the line.   Because rules are made to be broken, IMO.  

When I'm using an oracle deck (or 22 card majors) with a tarot, I'll do my normal draw, and then the oracle card is under "What else do I need to know today?"  Or "what could I not be seeing?   Or something similar, depending on the day and what else is going on.  

Oracles that work as  as Tarot.....I think Oracle X is one....My notebook with all my reviews are also in a box in the junk room right now, so that's the only one I can think of right off, but there are others.  DOTW people - suggestions?  (Also there are tarots better as Oracles too, IMO)  

When I read with a deck for a week, first I do a little review, like all the info (ISBN #, where was it published, copyright info, info about the artist,  how big the cards are and blah blah blah.   After I use the deck for a week I do a SHORT review:  was it easy to shuffle, did it read well for me.  Also, if I was going to recommend it to someone, what level user would easily use the deck..if I'd replace it or not, if it's collectible or not,    Someday those reviews might be criteria I'll use when I start downsizing my deck collection.  

@Gardener no worries 😊

I've just done a quick little Google about this deck and here's how I would treat this deck (especially considering how many cards it has!) 

If you strip away the differences between your deck and a tarot deck you essentially have the same thing; a set of cards with titles and images that you can use to dig deeper with. 

There's a quote from this review I read that may help

"Some of Krans’ interpretations will resonate. Some won’t. But as Krans points out, "these cards will never do the archetypes justice”. Just by saying that she gives the deck authenticity, allowing the person using it the space to analyze what a particular archetype means to them within their own framework."

Which put me in mind of this quote by Jessica Macbeth from Froud's Faeries Oracle guidebook 

"any oracle has many possible valid interpretations. These 'meanings' change from moment to moment and person to person. Like the faeries, the definitions are changeable and mutable, depending on how you see the world just now and on what the faeries would like to communicate with you."

Does that make sense? 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the way you use this deck is only limited by you. If you want to use it like you would a tarot who's to say you can't? Everyone sees things in different ways so you do you and have fun with it 😁

Something I find fun to do is an interview spread with the questions, "who are you?" "who am I?" and "how will we work together?" (the working together card goes in the middle). It gives me an idea of the personality of the deck and is quite often different from my first impressions of it! We quite often talk about getting to know a deck so why not a mini interview to get the ball rolling? Play with them, have fun with them, make them into little stories without actually doing a reading if you want. Your three cards could be a desert tribeswoman riding across the sands on her valiant steed avoiding all the vemonous greeblies 😉

The overview card I'll quite often pull before I've even started reading the other cards. You could even use the extra card as "what do I need to embody to help me through this" I stead of as an overview card. There's also the "worm's eye view" option. A lot of people look from top down, why not look from bottom up? 

13 hours ago, Gardener said:

Your question about whether I drew randomly hits the nail on the head.  I just drew randomly with no question, just a vague interest to have a focus for starting my study of the deck.  The first card was "The Mother" and I didn't want to start with such an over discussed concept.  I wanted something more unusual, to get to know the idiosyncrasies of this deck.  So random draw as an introduction.  No wonder "The Desert" didn't give me any illumination - I hadn't asked a question!  So obvious in retrospect!

Hmmm viewing those cards in that light then I would hazard a guess that your focus should be on examining your desert-like veiw of oracles. The desert isn't just all sand, there's always something living to be found. They can have a lot more bite than you probably realise too. Become the hunter so you can find a new way of looking at them and this deck (adding venom to a seemingly innocuous creature can completely change how you view them eg platypus). 

13 hours ago, Gardener said:

Recently I did a purely intuitive reading and I got the Devil and it was a pretty Devil, the interpretation of the devil as seduction.  And I was hard pressed not to include the harsher aspect of the card in my reading, although intuitively they didn't belong.  Maybe working with Oracles would break me of that habit.

Have you ever seen the True Black tarot Devil? (I'll add a pic at the end) It's absolutely gorgeous! But that's the whole point. That seduction is supposed to tempt you to put the chains on yourself. She whispers rather than shouts, quietly handing you gilded chains so you happily put them on and don't even see them as the chains they are. But a cage is still a cage whether it's gilded or not. 

Working with oracles can definitely be a way to help break you of that habit 😁

3 hours ago, VGimlet said:

Because rules are made to be broken, IMO.

This! Gardener keep this in mind while you work with you deck! 

TBH I struggle with a lot of oracle decks, I too often find they're all sweetness and light. And that's fine in some circumstances but not what I want in a deck that I work regularly with. All that sugar makes one sticky and sick after a while! I want the whole spectrum please and thank you. It's part of the reason I'm creating my own oracle deck actually 😊

5a751523ecb9bc1ea773f61db2979858_original.jpeg

Edited by TheFeeLion
Forgot to add the Devil card! 🤦‍♀️
On 9/20/2020 at 10:08 AM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

based on several conversations here I pulled the trigger on the Madam Lydia Wilhelmina's Tarot this morning, it will be my Samhain choice. On the other hand I canceled 3 kickstarters I'd backed. They didn't need my support in the end, and I think all three would have been one deck wonders, used and then discarded. I still like the Architect's one, watercolor,  forms panorama's but $70+ shipping is above my cut off point. 

Yay for Madam Lydia Wilhelmina's Tarot!!!! 🎃👻

On 9/20/2020 at 7:12 AM, Gardener said:

@Madame Squee  You have enabled a deck purchase!  My teenager and I are now the proud owner of Murder of Crows.  In their words, "The vibe is immaculate".

@Gardener Yay!!!! I hope you and your teenager love it as much as I do!

Murder of Crows has been one of my most satisfying tarot purchases. 

I get a little thrill of excitement every time I sit down to read with it. 

I never know what it will show me!!!

Dog Magic GIF by Perecz Annabella

@TheFeeLion thank you for spending so much time on this TOTALLY AWESOME reply and making yourself (almost?) late for work.  It was a delight to read, made me laugh, and gave me plenty to think about.  Where to start?  I'm going to do the deck interview spread after I do yours and Cora's readings.  I love your desert tribeswoman riding through the desert.  As I mentioned, I did an actual reading for myself with the deck and have now become acquainted with The River, so I imagine that at some point our trusty tribeswoman is going to reach an uncrossable river...

I'm eager to use the Voyager for your reading because I usually read it intuitively rather than with the RWS meanings.

I am not sure oracles will ever be my thing, partly because I have so many Tarot decks I utterly adore and want to spend more time with.  I think to make an oracle deck work, a person might have to dive into that deck the way they first dove into the RWS, meet it on its own terms, allow it to explain its system to them.  But that's just a thought, I may change my mind.  I'm thinking of the more complex oracles, like the Tao Oracle, or Froud's Faeries, or these archetype cards.  Maybe something like baba-prague's Victorian Flower Oracle could be tapped one card at a time, as a "special message" for a particular querent.

I think I am going to continue getting to know the Wild Unknown Archetypes, but I suspect readings with this deck will often have the flavor of a reading with Majors only, big themes and no details.  Sort of like an anti-Voyager, where you can't see the trees for the forest...

That True Black Devil really is beautiful.  Temptation on a stick!  I loved your suggestion that my reliance on the RWS meanings has been a devilish seduction I need to resist.  What a fun conversation!